question about distressing designs

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

question about distressing designs

i was just wondering if people had any advice on the best ways to distress or tarnish designs or could supply a sweet resource for some nice textures to do that with. thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for textures, i would suggest going into a local textile (flooring/countertop) store and ask for swatches... they have little tiles of texture samples and give them away pretty redily.. you can then pick a few you like, scan them in, make them tilable if needed (in PS) and then use them as textures in your work... after scanning them i make them black and white and will put them on their own layer.. and make the layer a multiply layer.. then the whites of the texture are transparent... i will also play with the layer opacity so the texture isn't too distracting...

hope that helped~ skrunchey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick way to get some results, or at to least put you on the right path is pick a one of the messier brushes - (near the bottom of the brush pallete) set it to a low opacity and burn, then gently work away with it on the piece - playing more attention to the edges or raised areas. The colour you use to burn with will also make an impact, don't use too saturated a colour - a dull brown isn't a bad starting point.
    For a second pass the dodge brush can be used to with similar settings to pick out some of the areas you'ved roughed up. Dodge and buring can easily make a picture look over saturated or shiny if overdone so use with restraint!

check to see if you texture is the type that might attract mold as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can get a lot of amazing (and free) brush sets on the adobe forums
    i use many of them with my graphic designs ( look for about 20 of my shirts in major retailers in sept / oct) if you supply an example of what your looking for i can help
    my usual method involves really dirty custom brushes as an eraser at low opacity
    maybe i can whip up an example tonight after work that is not under contract if you like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.mrretro.com/image_filters.html
    Definitely the best distress texture pack out there. It also includes the ps action to screw with your image. Worth every penny.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.