Thanks

what type of sketchbook do you use?

Yeah, I know it is an odd sort of question, but I was just curious to see what people here tend to draw and sketch on.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Szyslack, I still remember my search for the "perfect" sketchbook, so I'll answer your *odd* question.

The search isn't over yet. I haven't tried out all of them yet.

I tried many different ones and that's what I suggest you do, too. But be careful, don't stop using it when you don't like it. Whether you really like it or not will often only come out at the end. Apart from that, they are too expensive to be neglected after just a few sketches.

Buy and try as many sketchbooks as you can afford (a good source might be eBay!) I have bought ringbound ones and hardback-booklike ones. I bought small ones (about A6 size) and large ones (A3). I bought ones with smooth white Bristol carton as well as some with a creamy paper with some tooth, also recycled paper brownish ones. I have the classical Canson blackbooks. I have one from Blueline Pro. I have one with a sort of Japanese paper and just with plain printer paper.

What I don't like (but that's just personally me): I don't like ringbound ones, because in the end they tend to unwind at the ends. Also, they scan badly, letting in too much light from the side. And I don't like too thick ones, because it takes ages (about a quarter of a year for a 150 pages book was the longest) to fill - I find new sketchbooks inspiring, this is why I like to start new ones.

What I do like are booklike bound sketchbooks, about A4 size (letter). Currently I'm working in a square one of about 25x25cm which is quite nice (with Bristol paper). I also keep a small one on me in my rucksack or my jacket, just in case I have a spare moment to catch some people unawares.

Two final advices: Best just to work on one side (usually the right) of the book. This keeps the drawings from smudging and rubbing and you have the chance to cut out a single piece of paper for whatever reason might come to your mind. I started off with thematical sketchbooks (one for hands and feet, one for animals, one for holidays - you name it). This wasn't a good idea, because I was constantly searching for the "right" book (I can be a bit distracted at times, other people would call it messy, maybe) which kept me from drawing.

Hope this helps, these are things which took me a while to figure out and I know how annoying this can be.

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    I love to use my paper, so although I have certain preferences I have 2 now which serve different purposes. My book-like one is for personal art, the art I draw at the end of the day for ME! sorta like a diary

The other, which I don't have right now because I don't want to waste my 2 book-like ones, because I know I'll forget about one, is for projects and ideas for marketable things. Well, I'm too noob to actually be working pro. Anyways it would be a ring sketchbook so the binding doesn't mess up shading by the edges and such for landscapes etc.

Just my preferences, which I'm not even living by right now, strangely enough

Thanks
    Ranges anywhere from wide-ruled notebook paper (I save the college-rule for... college ) to unlined, white 8.5 x 11 printer paper, to any sketch book I can find for a decent price (which would currently be the Strathmore series at Dick Blick).

Thanks
    I personally use Strathmore ringbound sketchbooks. I like my paper to have a little tooth and texture to it. I've found sketchbooks that were too smooth for my taste and everything just felt dead when I laid it onto the paper. When it has some texture to it, the paper feels more dynamic, but that's just me.

Thanks
    I currently use two different brands and I like and dislike things about each one. (I know exactly what you're talking about, jester).

I really like the feel of the Canson 100% Recycled Heavyweight Sketch pad (spiral bound), but even though it says "heavyweight," it's still pretty thin. I wouldn't do an El Coro-type wash on it, but it's fine for pencil/charcoal/conte/pen.

The only other brand I've tried, and have only seen for sale at my school bookstore, is Borden & Riley Paper Co., Inc. The paper has a little tooth to it, and I didn't like it for the longest time. But last night I was paging through a magazine and came a cross a Hendrix pic I just had to sketch and grabbed this sketchbook. After I finished some sketches, I was looking at my work and found that I liked the tooth. So I keep changing my mind...

I still haven't tried any of the hardbound books, simply because I don't think my drawing ability warrants them yet. Soon...

-Bad Mange

Thanks
    I keep several books goin on at one time. I primarily us a 9"x12", but also have a 11"x14", a 14"x17" and 3"x5" going as well. I prefer the spiral bound, especially for field sketching. I can fold it over and lay it flat. Pentalic used to have a cloth cover book bound that stayed flat, but curse them for ceasing to make that one. I like a moderate tooth and a minimum of 60# in weight.

Andrew
    "Channeling is just bad ventriloquism. You use another voice, but people can see your lips moving." -- Penn Jillette

Thanks
    umm i use those canson black fake leather books - 8x10, a 7x7 hemp sketchbook (awesome paper. it takes everything including watercolor ), a few random books i picked up at some place in vancouver, and i have a few indication books from boesners coming in the mail. i tend to sketch and think small, so i tend to use smaller books.
    "Nous sommes desoles que notre president soit un idiot. Nous n’avons pas vote pour lui."

Thanks

Thumbs up

anything I can get my bloody hands on...

:cool:

Thanks
    Printer paper, strathmore's, and recycled paper(the textured kind)
    For some odd reason, I do better stuff on different paper at different times, wierd.
    Don't Try Dat in my Bayou...