Mac?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mac?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Mac?

im getting more and more into digital art and im gunna goto an art school,(this is what most of the computers are there) and i was wondering is mac really that much different than PCs? is the graphics that much better? are programs like PS and Corel better and run smoother on a mac?

i was tihnking about buying one then i saw the price... is it worth me buying it just for art? or is it good for other things too?

i got a million questions these are only a few.

any suggestions on a mac?

- Sick.L
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ive started working on iMacs at university for my art. as long as theyre upgraded for graphic performance they are really quite good, especially with the intel chips they use these days. very user friendly, quite tidy packages. only thing is upgrading later in life and such.. can be a bit pricey from what i hear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id reccomend heading over to applenova.com forums, but in short, YES! get a mac.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how exactly is it better than a PC? Just more efficient?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was in multimedia at college and we mostly used Macs but I bought a pc and I got really pissed off easily using a Mac.It would constantly crash on me..especially those G5 computers.It crashed during one of my exams..thankfully I still passed but I finished an hour after everyone else because I had to start from the begining..anyways that's just me,some other people might have had the same experience with a pc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get a PC. Cheaper, more software, more support, and easier to upgrade.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess you should go to bed?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ksama, Sickelsick: Whoever told you it's "better" is wrong or has no clue. "Different" is a better description. The feeling you have on a Mac is much more convenient than the one on your usual Windows PC. The periphery (keyboard, mouse) is working more smooth and not as jagged as PC-devices. You'll definetly have to get used to it. The function keys are different (CTRL being the Apple-key, which is where the alt-key is on your PC) which makes it easier and more comfortable to work with in Design-applications like Photoshop or InDesign/Illustrator. Loading-times are A LOT different on Macs. I'm not a tech-freak, but what I can tell you after years of working with both ends is that you must be more patient when working with a Mac, but it will give you much more smooth times when it has finally loaded up. My work-Mac takes about 4 minutes to boot up completely, with all the shitload of software installed. But after that, you're ready to go. Another good thing about Macs is that you don't have to reboot them. Some Macs at our place haven't been shut down for a year or more

If you're into the whole design-thing, get a Mac. But forget about any kind of Windows-software after that. Oh yeah, and it's alot more expensive!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That may be the crux: big convenience (at a cost), with fewer options.

I've gone both ways for years (being a Mac guy for my first ten years of computer use) and it's all about taste and money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx for the suggestion ElWell. ill keep that in mind. appreciate the post...... anyway...

thnx every1 for their input. Jabo, never thought of it that way.

1 more question, is there a difference with an imac and a mini mac besides the little box and having the computer inside the screen? any difference in speed?

- Sick.L

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go again...

DON'T CLICK THIS

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sickelsick
    1 more question, is there a difference with an imac and a mini mac besides the little box and having the computer inside the screen? any difference in speed?
    The mac mini is described best as a bigger palm with Mac OS installed We bought one for use as a FTP-server. This is NOT a workstation. That's why it only costs 500 bucks. By the way, it isn't that small after all. The thing itself isn't much bigger than a 2-slice toaster, but the power supply is as big as a usual 5-way power-plug.

As for the iMac: Go for it. It's not a PowerMac, but it can be used comfortably with Photoshop or whatever installed. Just make sure it has at least 1 gig of RAM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    macs are great work tools. they don't have that many distracting software (mainly games) that a PC has. So if you get a mac, you definitley will be concentrating more on work. OS X, is very stable and virus free, which is a definite plus). you won't have to worry about upgrading your virus definitions & stuff. There is less software (for the normal users), but for the creative pros, I think it's safe to assume you have even more. Apple even has some great propietary software like iPhoto that lets you manage your assets easy. If you are an aspiring PRO, then I would recommend investing in the best hardware you can get. & if your so into gaming, then Bootcamp will be the salvation of you. The new imacs are good, but the MacPro's that should be announced today are definitley going to kill them. And I'm a PC user, let me tell you. So get a mac now! or wait for windows vista coming out in PC's, cause it's looking good.

About my recommendations, buy a desktop PC.
    I don't favor buying laptops too much, cause sooner or later they will suck. They are difficult to upgrade, and cost more for what they offer. And in my case, it isn't like I'm going to work everywhere. & school isn't an excuse either, cause they either already have computers where we'll work, so dragging laptops around is more like a bragging issue than nothing.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksama
    how exactly is it better than a PC? Just more efficient?
    Its the difference of buying a BMW over a Honda. A lot more honda's on the road, both drive you to where you need to go as fast as you need, but no matter how many body kits, neon lights of hood scoops you get for your honda, the BMW is just drives, feels, and looks better. Consiquently, it will cost you a bit more too.

Oh, and its extremely difficult to crash a mac, get a virus or whatnot. You really have to try to fuck the machine up to do it, or someone (hacker) really has to target you specifically and work his tail off to compromise security. Those little applets floating around the web which steal your CC info and give you the blue screen of death won't ever effect you.

If you are going to art school, get the mac. The fact there AREN'T so many g'damn games for it will keep you drawing and not playing video games day in and day out. Sadly though, the worst (or best, depending on your perspective) games out there are still available for mac. Doom, Quake, Unreal, Warcraft...all there.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Anything from $ 2,499.00 to $ 17,183.00

If you are going to art school, get the mac. The fact there AREN'T so many g'damn games for it will keep you drawing and not playing video games day in and day out.
    That is probably the only good part of Blue's whole post. Both PC and Mac are nearly equally useful if you, as the use, are not an idiot.

Some software exist only for Mac and some exists only for Windows or Linux. That should probably be your first indicator for buying the machine because your PC works with software. That is a little plus point for the Mac because with boot camp you can have native Linux/OSX/Win (and probably some other OS). But you can't get OSX on a "win-box" without some additional nonregular software.

So the main argument is: Are you ready to drop a lot of money for this freedom. Do you need two or three operating system on your box (for the software)?

With todays fast hardware you won't see much or any speed improvement for any OS/software combination. These time are over. So on the software side you have more flexibility with a Mac but on the hardware side the flexibility is on the Win-box side. It's cheaper and you have a bigger range of hardware.

Security can be fucked on both. With a Mac you have less problems because security is a little better and because as a minority Mac user are not useful enough as a source for money hungry "evil hackers". There is more money to be made with exploiting the masses. If someone tells you that a Mac is super secure then why did the last two or three OSX updates have critical security updates? In the end a combination of dumb user and "motivated evil party" can crash any system.

If you really think about buying a Mac then you should take a look here: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...utingpage.html
    Mac educational prices for students and blah. With the Macbook Pro having prices comparable to normal notebooks the student discout could make it cheaper than a normal notebook. But I don't know exactly how much the discount is.

If you really don't know go to some apple store and let them help you, ask them everything you want to know about changing operating sytem. In the end it's a personal decision. Some people love Macs, some love Linux, others just take whatever gets the job done. Try to not get attached to much to any OS, it's just a tool, not your life.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.