ok critique-ers do your worst...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: ok critique-ers do your worst...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ok critique-ers do your worst...

1st let me preface this by saying i am not much of an artist/painter, i have always just done line art not too good with coloring or even pencil shading for that matter, so i just always got used to just doing line drawings, but now i would like to try to do digital painting, and what better way to start than by attempting to paint some good-lookin' women?

i used this image as a reference http://hollywood.outsidethebeltway.c...lba-fhm-03.jpg

hellgirl

what i want to accomplish is to be able to produce loose paintings that still have those interesting little details, thes both took between 1-3hours off and on...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nothing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These characters are looking really good so far, although on the first one her fingers could use just a little bit of tweaking and her feet look a little big (unless that's what you intended to do). I think Hellgirl's hair would look better if the tips weren't as rounded. Overall they're working, Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, they aren't horrible, but at your own admission, you aren't terribly experienced. With that in mind, it might be better to start with something a bit simpler, like an orange, or your hand, or something else you can look at and really observe the values and colors.

It appears you need to start out with larger brushes. They both appear to suffer from noodling, especially in the skin areas. Use larger brushes than you think you can handle until you just cannot work with them any longer, then go just a little smaller (still larger than you want). It's uncomfortable, but it will help you get in the proper values.

Also realize that light will affect hue, as well as value. shadows are rarely just darker versions of the local color, and the same can be said of the highlights.

It's also very important to define your light source and be consistant. With these, I'm not really sure where the light is coming from. There are hints, but there are a lot of inconsistancies (there is some reflected light and cast shadows on Hell Girl, but only in a couple places).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know i would be better served starting with the basics, but i tend to loose patience with those things, then there this short attention span...

i really would like to do more with lighting and hue and value but i am relatively in the dark about these things, so i do not have any idea if i am on the right track. i see a lot of crazy nice stuff on this site i i just can't for the life of me figure out how in the world people can do that stuff...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.