Thanks

Movies from the other side of the apocalypse...

With WWIII around the corner I thought it would be fun to talk about everyone's favorite Post-Apocalyptic movies.

For me without question the best P.A. movie of all time is "Blood of Heroes". As far as I know the only post-apocalyptic movie about professional sports Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen play a sport called "Jugging" which involves for whatever reason slamming a dog's skull on a spike to score.

And of course the "Mad Max" movies go without saying.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ha! I just watched Blood of Heroes the other day. I hadn't seen it in almost 15 years! Great movie. It always made me want to start my own Jugging team. Not quite as violent of course. Not that I would call them the best, but I have to admit Waterworld and The Postman were guilty pleasures for me. Damnation Alley was kind of cool too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls
    Ha! I just watched Blood of Heroes the other day. I hadn't seen it in almost 15 years! Great movie. It always made me want to start my own Jugging team. Not quite as violent of course. Not that I would call them the best, but I have to admit Waterworld and The Postman were guilty pleasures for me. Damnation Alley was kind of cool too.
    We actually had a jugging league on my college campus for about a week (we lost interest quicly what can I say). We used fun-noodles for hooks and jump-ropes instead of chains... We had a nerf skull (human and not dog) which we had to get into a bucket rather than impale it on a spike.

We had to ammend the rules to allow more scoring though, because when you're not afraid of getting an arm ripped out by a hook, or an eye torn out of its socket by a chain you can score a lot more frequently than just once per game.

Thanks
    You gotta get those staffs with the padded ends like they used in American Gladiators for the hooks, and a tether ball for the chain guy. Then you get a bunch of hockey and football gear for protection. I had enough people interested, but we didn't have enough equipment. The main thing we were missing were the hooks. Oh well, maybe someday.

Thanks
    http://www.jugger.de/

berlin's own jugging league (site in german)... you even can order weapons and equipment there... these guys are TOUGH! I did spar with them one or two times.. came out quite bruised... Its a tough sport even with padded weapons.

as for post apocalyptic movies: "Stalker" was pretty decent and I always kinda liked "Cyborg" (mainly because of that rifle Jean Claude van Damme carries around in that movie- i'm a sucker for good weapon designs). Still, those two dont give me that fluffy feeling "Blood of Heroes" gives me.

"Six String Samurai", "Screamers" and "Kampfansage" would be a good recommendation too.

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    That's awesome Virus. They need to make some cool armor too.

I forgot about Screamers. That was a pretty good movie. I'll have to see if I can find some of those other movies. The Last Man on Earth is cool too. Although rather dated(1964), it's a decent adaption of Matheson's I Am Legend story. They also based another movie, The Omega Man, on Matheson's story, but I thought it strayed to far from the original source.

What about the original Planet of the Apes? Classic!

Thanks
    Last Man on Earth rocks! downloaded that one a few months ago from the Internet Archive and got hooked. gives a pretty good impression how it would be when the world has gone down the drain- eerie feeling...

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    I've never seen that internet archive site. I'm about halfway through downloading Last Man on Earth. Awesome!