Art: 2D Fighter Thunderdome Entry

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2D Fighter Thunderdome Entry

The deadline for this is fast approaching so I'm looking for serious critique, particular in color choice, anatomy, and the overall effect of the piece. I painted this on and off over a twelve hour period and learned a great deal but I'm starting to feel it

Thanks!

~ Stephen

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, have you established what skills will your 2-D fighter have?...

I mean, Chun-li is mainly a kicker so she has big thighs, Dudley is a boxer, thus having gloves but with a sort of old '30s boxer looks to him so he's got the rich, classy guy covered...

Your character seems to be on the futuristic side, but apart from that, what special fighting skills has she got?....

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    her right briest could be a bit more left i think
    Nice colors!

If your Religion doesn't change your life, you better change your Religion...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her head is a bit too round imo, and the shading on her forehead makes it seem concave. Also, her lower legs are too massive, too straight, no curves. It feels as if you've hidden the feet just because you don't know how to draw them. Her pelvisbone seems extreeeemily wide. I'm not too fond of the colouring, it feels random and smudged, too many mixed colours. The armor design is pretty cool, but I would have preferred if the surface was more metallic.

No pain, no gain.

Sketchblog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seba_boi- I love you. Plain out. Anyone could of given explainations for street fighter 2, but you went with sf3, and not even that you used Dudley as an example. God damn it I love sf3.

darkwolfb87- sorry, i just had to get that out. Your peice I actually think is pretty interesting. The enviorment is more impactful to me than the character. Not that she's bad, but I think if you did more iwth the upper body armor, and some how brought more attention back to her I think this would be a bad ass picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, maybe I'm stuck up but:
    This is obviously not finally finished
    Isn't the point of a TD to do art yourself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    qitsune: I don't think the point of anything is to do art yourself. You should always get as much feedback as you can. Whether or not this belongs in the FF section, well we'll leave that up to a mod.

I really can't stand her design, as there really is no design to speak of yet. You've painted her blue, and put some techy lines around her legs. If that is indeed all body armor, how the hell does she get into it? And how does she squeeze each breast in? If you're going to make something sexy, it still has to make sense. The other option is to go the Mystique route and just have her blue and naked, which is fun too. But yeah, the skill thing was a good point. I don't know what the hell she does. She's not standing in a fighter's stance, she can't kick with all that bulk on her legs. So, you've got anatomy issues, and logistics issues to work out here. I know you've spent 12 hours on it, and that's a great learnig process. But my advice would be to go back to the drawing board and do some thumbnails of the painting, do thumbnails of her as well... little 2-3 inch figures, figure out what her skill is and how to show it, then start on the illustration. If you can figure it out in thumbnails, then the finished piece goes by much quicker. Good luck!!

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seba_boi - heh I did some thumbnails but was counting on skills and appearance to develop as I painted, really bad idea on my part...

rockdraw - Thanks, will work on the anatomy

kaktuzlime - I agree with all of your crits, thanks for those

HugeHarHar - interesting note about the background, I might have it interact with the character

qitsune - yeah I think for thunderdome's it's just up to the artist if they want to reveal their WIP, some like to keep it a secret until it's completely done.

Phuzion - I think that's about as accurate a crit as you can get

Again, thanks for the comments guys, I have much to think about and work on.

~ Stephen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love 2D fighting games. I'll tell you straight up, if I was playing this game I wouldn't choose this character. Similar to what seba_boi said, a fighter has to have a hook or gimmick, like a catchy song. Can't tell what her fighting style is, just looks like a chick in a toothpaste blue outfit, most likely she's a geologist(that would be a pretty funny twist for a fighting style actually). I'll agree with some of the other guys that this belongs in the WIP section. I'm interested in seeing how you will develop this character.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe she has lazer eyes or something? Anyway, it doesn't look finished, so I guess it should be put into the WIP section...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah this is definitely a WIP. I did a quick paintover to mess around with the pose, and gave her a sword and pouches as placeholders to be unified with her costume. Does anyone have any major problems with the pose? From here I'm gonna improve the designs of everything. Her special ability is to utilize lava while she's fighting with the sword, and the left hand will be controlling the lava.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, I want to say I really like the palette. It's a bit unexpected which is always great.

Now, she's about to fall over. Part of doing a character illustration is the posing. It has to seem natural for the character. You want it to feel as unposed as possible, but rather like they're standing in a way that they would take naturally. Even if they're flirting with the camera, you still need them to feel natural. Right she feels awkward at best. Very stiff. I did a very quick paintover as one possibility:

Anyway, I hope that helps. I like the idea of her a lot, and I think it has potential. Keep pluggin' away on it!

Peace,

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow phuzion, I love that pose!

No pain, no gain.

Sketchblog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its kinda like battle enya goes robochick. Badass, nice pose phusion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Phuzion, that was incredibly helpful! I did a lot of experimenting and tried to keep everything much looser, here's what I ended up with:

I'm not too happy with it as a square, I'll probably end up making it 50% wider.

~ Stephen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait a second... did you just...I'm not sure if that's the purpose of a paintover...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh sorry the pose is still being changed around a lot, I still got a loong way to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the paintover did the pose some justice and made her look more confident... I dunno if blue is exactly the right colour for her though... I mean she controls lava, right?... (I'm reminded of Shark Boy And Lava Girl) As a cybernetic samurai however, a blue suit seems appropriate....

Quote Originally Posted by HugeHarHar
    seba_boi- I love you. Plain out. Anyone could of given explainations for street fighter 2, but you went with sf3, and not even that you used Dudley as an example. God damn it I love sf3.
    I was playing the game two days ago prior to my post and I was using Dudley so he came up to my mind right away... Also, I remember reading in the SF: Eternal Challenge mook how the design team gave Chun-li bigger tighs since majority of her moveset are around kicking..

I like ARMANDO's comment about the hook/catch with the characters... It's true, either design-wise or fighting-style-wise...

EG: design-wise, (Darkstalker's) BB Hood's basically a Red Riding Hood rip-off design... But she stil works because her looks are for deception, concealing a crazed terrorist behind those butterflies and smile... Gotta love that... Fighting-style-wise, (SFIII's) Makoto reigns in simplicity in average design but benefits from a fantastic moveset deeper than you can dip into... And that really brings a lot into her character... Sorry, cant' stop posting examples... I'm a Capcom fanboy...

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.