Thanks

Angry Really need some advice

Hey guys, I'm 18, and I want to be a concept artist sometime in the future. For a big game company if I can manage it. I've been working for the past year or so to improve my skills. Problem is I'm not improving very much. I work for hours every day on my art, and I see the improvement, but it's so slow. I look at other people's sketchbooks around here and they rocket through various techniques and abilities in mere months, while I'm still struggling with smoothing my line quality and basic anatomy after a year. I'm starting to get discouraged. I know, everybody says not to let it get the best of you, but every time I put pencil to paper it's an uphill battle. Trying to memorize forms, while improving my line quality, and thinking about advice that people have given me, trying to put that into my art, I honestly feel incapable of getting good. It's really, really frustrating. Today I tried for the better of two hours to do a study from Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy and came up with nothing, time and time again. I got so angry I stabbed my paper with my pencil and stormed off from my desk. I came back, tried again, and ended up doing it all over again. I tried to do a self-portrait and ended up scribbling all over the paper because I couldn't get it right no matter what I tried. I've gone through this numerous times over the last year, and every time I decided to just keep on through it. It did pay off and I've gotten better, but if that's what comes with art, I'm not sure I want to do it for a living. Am I not cut out for professional art? Do I need to just buckle down and keep drawing, temper and broken pencils be damned?

I know this has to sound like a bunch of whining, but I really don't know what to do. I seriously feel like giving up on art and going for a career in something else. Does anyone else go through this? Do you have any advice to give? Anything would help!
    Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    First all, hold being a "concept artist" as a possible later in life goal. If you're serious about art and improving, you need to practice quite a bit and work in all different types of mediums. It's important to establish a firm foundation in the basics, as simple is truly the greatest sophistication. Since you're 18, i'll assume you might be possibly going to college either this coming year or next. I would reccomend obviously pursuing an art major, dabble in it to see if this is really something you would enjoy doing (you're crazy if you don't :-P :-P ).

Again it takes time, practice, and dedication. I my self am beginning, i'll be pursuing art in college next year and am very excited. Don't get frustrated, when things don't quite come out the way you intended you're still one step closer to a finished product that will eventually satisfy your eye. And most importantly if you can recognize what is wrong and can see how to correct it, again you're that much closer. Best of luck!

EDIT** just checked out your sketchbook, shows amazing progression! Keep it up! DRAW FROM LIFE :-)
    Last edited by Briguy; July 31st, 2006 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch Briguy, I needed that! I'll keep everything you said in mind, and keep at it!

Thanks for looking at my sketchbook too

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TechLoveAffair
    I look at other people's sketchbooks around here and they rocket through various techniques and abilities in mere months, while I'm still struggling with smoothing my line quality and basic anatomy after a year.
    Other people's sketchbooks might not be the best frame of reference for you. You really have no idea how many hours a day they might be working or what kind of prior or current training they might have recieved. It's fine to look at other artists for inspiration or to learn from them, but constantly comparing your abilities to others for no constructive reason is gonna drive you nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by TechLoveAffair
    I got so angry I stabbed my paper with my pencil and stormed off from my desk. I came back, tried again, and ended up doing it all over again.
    Sounds like me a few years ago, I still get quite frustrated from time to time, but I am learning to deal with it alot better. Eventually you just become resigned to the fact that not everything you put down on paper is gonna be a masterpeice, and that it is about the long term process and not the single image you are working on.

Nothing wrong with taking a little walk when you are getting frustrated. I do applaud you for for coming back to it and trying again.

I will try and leave some suggestions in your sketchbook when I get back from class tonight.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice MikeHayes. Good to hear I'm not alone in getting so frustrated. I'm starting to accept that some of my stuff's gonna suck and I'm already getting better at dealing with a failed sketch or two I'll try not to compare myself to others so much.

-Paul Graham

Thanks
    I didn't completely read the other posts, but my best advice is to not corner yourself in the notion of being a "concept artist". Be an artist. Draw and paint and create because you desire to. Do it all. Learn graphite, acrylics, oils, charcoal, etc. You'll be thankful in the long run. Strive to be the best artist you can be and everything else will fall into place when the time comes.

And try to surround yourself with other artists. Take classes, join a sketchgroup. Being around like-minded people will challenge you and help you progess faster than you realize.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks
    it sounds like you have a hard time seeing the image and how its being created.
    There is this book called drawing on the right side of the brain. If you can get it from the library or purchase it. It teaches you how artists visually see. Sometimes when you draw or copying something from reference, your unable to make you see something. But also when your studying take little breaks, dont sit through a long period of time, cause your eyes and mind will get adjusted and you wont notice things. very easily.

good luck to you