Traditional schools in Southern Cal.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Traditional schools in Southern Cal.

Hey there,

I'm trying to go back to school after getting caught in the "golden handcuffs" ( job I hate, paycheck that I love.. ). Anyways, I've come up with this list of schools I might be interested in attending to get some art education and ultimately end up in the video game industry. I was wondering if people had any other input besides what I've written down.

Art Institute of Los Angeles ( Santa Monica ) -
    Seems OK, offers a Game Art/Design degree, about $66,000 for 4 years. Alot of negative responses towards the AI schools tho.

Art Center ( Pasadena ) -
    Has a reputation, is expensive but is it worth it?

Cal Arts -
    Haven't heard much about this place, but it doesn't seem to be too cheap, not sure what the experience is like.

Moorpark Community College -
    This is where I'll get all my general ed. done ( if my old college creds dont transfer.. ), although I could take some of the prelim. art classes here too..

Gnomon3d -
    Not exactly a college, but they have traditional art programs. They seem to be tailored towards people already in the industry though.

Any comments, or suggestions of other schools in the Northern LA/Ventura Country of California would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know too much about CalArts but they seem to have a reputation for their Animation classes. Some high caliber artist have gone to CalArts (apparantly the founding members of Pixar went to CalArts). So, I guess that's a pretty good bet if you want to get into the gaming industry.

I'd say either CalArts or of course Art Center...

but just to make it absolutely clear, this is advice from a 18 year old icelander who doesn't know all that much about education in the US

Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im in the same boat... I will be moving to L.A. sometime next year, and was looking at schools that could offer something in the way of computer animation, game design. I looked at the artcenter website and couldn't really find anything. Though I read all over the forums that it's the place to be. (or ringling)
    it sucks cause I know there are alot of wack schools out there just trying to rip off Folks who just want an education. As for the art institute, I don't know man, I wouldn't trust a school that has commercials on T.V. That may sound weird and many people will say "THere are lots of good schools that advertise on t.v. Like ITT tech ect."
    But I remember art Institutes little advertisment that said "IF you can draw a straight line you could work in the art industy as an..." then theyd send you this little booklet with dumb drawngs you were supposed to copy to the best of your ability. It just feels wack. I cant explain it.
    But Im looking for a school with a great reputation and a great Computer Animation Dept/program in L.A.

So If I find anything Ill be sure to post...
    josh.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,677 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know nothing about the Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art beyond what's on their site, but the faculty is top notch. If you really are looking for traditional art training, and not something specifically gaming related, then I would definitely check them out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some great stuff Bio. thanx. :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know where this is in relation to LA but you may want to check out Laguna College of Art & Design
    The student work is pretty impressive.

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am a first term artcenter student and therefore biased but if you are serious about getting into a good school, please take a good look at ac.

there isn't much i can say without sounding like an outright cheerleader . if you have any questions feel free to ask.

i do not recommend the other high-end (expensive), degree-based school like otis or calarts. i'm sure they are fine schools but i personally hear a lot of bad things through word of mouth. art institutes are even worse .

if you don't need the bachelors or the 'whole package' you can find some really good instruction from some of the links posted above. the la academy of figurative art has AMAZING faculty. ateliers (like jeff watts school) is good for that sort of thing too.

in any case, i would go to a school that has a good foundations program, even if ultimately cg is where you want to go.

cheers,
    steve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    www.laafigart.com
    www.wattsatelier.com
    www.calartinst.com

Check them out. They're private (unaccredited) and relatively cheap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I attend www.laafigart.com and recommend it too.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.