Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Book of Sloth

Thanks
    Like where the chicka is goin. Are you using ref for her? She seems much better defined than the wings, maybe lookup more refs for the wings and the way they would attach to her.
    Also, try developing more darks or a better line quality/variation for your pen sketches, I really like the designs, but theyre real hard to read with the thin scratchy lines.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nigel: Thank you.

SirGreenSock: Yup I got a ref for the chick, the wings are from a seperate ref so I'm going to find a way to fuse them together, I'll look at the connection point on birds and try to mimic it.
    Cheers for the crit on the pen sketches I have a hard time making them read as you said I'll try varying my line wieght next time.

some draw.
    Book of Sloth

Thanks
    Very nice painting there my friend! Nice tattoo effect too!

Thanks
    fountain is great, that last pose is a little funkey but the anatomy's good so i'll let it slide

Thanks
    I think you can do better with the posing of your characters, they all seem so flat and on the same plane throughout, its dull. Bend those limbs, give us foreshortening, overlap, twist those shoulders and hips, give the feet more spacing, most of them seem like theyre up against a wall, not interacting in space.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Bendragon: he he cheers bro.

asoir: yeah my spontanous trying to make a pose up with out thinking of it thing which I do all the time. At least I know all those anatomy studies are starting to pay off .

SirGreenSock: I think if I start to focus on the characters themselves rather than getting everything in proportion I can make them look a lot better, thanks for the advice.

My first go with Zbrush, trying that Andrew jones technique that he did at the Workshop.

Turned I few abstract shapes into a space merman angel thing.
    Book of Sloth

Man you could pump out the thumbs with it. Very exciting.

Thanks

Thanks
    Ok so I did some thumbnails first creating shapes in zbrush using AJ's technique then brought them into painter and overlayed some custom papers onto them, then I bought them into ps and made a rough of a dude and duplicated him and then stuck the shapes onto them roughly then hacked em up and stuck them all over in very abstract ways.
    Book of Sloth

Then two was chosen but a few peeps on IRC so I enlarged the thumb and started increasing the functions of the armour and stuff and gave him a weapon.

Book of Sloth
    Now I'm using it as a ref to do a final.

Thanks

Thanks
    Really cool process for thumbnailing stuff man. Had fun looking at all your custom brush work.
    TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Nice to see more experimentations. Dont forget about your studies though like anatomy.

Thanks
    Sirio_Brozzi: Thank you bro its fun to do.

Bendragon: Yup dw bro I've been doing plenty of that :

Update on the dude

Book of Sloth

Thanks
    YARRRR! Nice colours mate! I would probably just add a few more highlights to this baby! Looking good!

Thanks
    I'm not sure about this last one. I have no idea what the gesture is doing and he seems pretty off balance.

Thanks
    great character design man, interesting process.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    o/

The last one feels off balance, and I'm not sure what he is doing? if it's a sword/blade the movment feels weird - if it's a firearm it doesn't show (yet it have a button). The colours are somewhat shallow as well, but given this is a wip I'll wait for the end result before calling that one. As for the design, while I do love the process don't you think the eyes make him clownish? might be the idea, but anyway.

The rest.
    I really like your girls in general, some like fashion junk are really good, nr 238 even better - and the studies are beautiful.

Your use for textures are interesting, but it often leaves a mushy impression, as Justin Oaksford wrote earlier they are often replacing the drawing, and unless you have killer textures that doesn't really work (in my experience).

Oh and I need to do more life/bridgman drawings

& Craig Mullins is the shit
    SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    To be quite honest i dont like where you took the thumb and character. The original thumbnails are very interesting and could be taken to another level, but seems like you took the shapes you made quite literally and just worked on stackin em on, he ends up looking silly, and not very effective concept-wise.

PS what exactly is Andrew's technique? I think he discussed it in MOntreal but i missed it.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Bendragon: he he Shall do!

Jtho: He he yeah, I need to figure out what he is doing in the gesture stage rather than just go with what I randomly place down.

Tigermilk: Thank you man, just early stages yet, sometimes experiments blow up in your face, hopefully I can get it right

dan liimatta: Wow not only are you and awesome artist but you give awesome crits too! Yeah I've almost gotten over my texture habbit, I dunno maybe i'm just praciticing more with it and refining how I use it. Lovely to have you on board bro!

SirGreenSock: Yeah man you totally nailed it, I'll spend more time on dressing up the thumbs rather than slapping everything on.
    Andrews technique is the deco brush in zbrush and if you play around with it on different alpha's you can create some very interesting shapes, their is a thread about it somewhere. Very fun to have a bit off a wank around with.

update on the chick, just have to finish those damn wings...
    Attachment 95618

this is a graphics design illustration for my Dj champion brothers birthday, stupid mo fo with all his talent..
    Attachment 95622

Thanks

Thanks
    good stuff, though the wings feel very arbirtary, they have no need, no function, and she hasn't any muscles for em etc. So I'd consider to add some kind of harness/device - but then that might just be me.

As for the blue, well it's very blue - if it's for some kind of poster, I'd consider throwing in some contrasting colours, well I might anyway.

GG 07

Thanks
    ok
    your work seems to be improving with time
    but their seems to be a LOT of photo paint over work
    using a reference is fine but throwing a few filters ovr a photo composite isnt art
    on top of that crit
    your "graphic design seems to be just a crap load of graphic elements thrown on a cut out photo
    you have potential but i think you need a few more life drawing and Graphic design classes

Thanks
    designboot: Cheers.

dan liimatta: Kinda regreted those wings in the end, I see what you mean with the colours on the pic I should of used some warms but I wanted to keep it just in the blue spectrum.
    Thanks the for crits man.

trevor: Hey awesome, thanks for being upfront man, true about the photos not being art I like to experiment with them to get whats in my head on the canvas fast or as a inspiration for shapes, I don't pretend that its a substitute for painting though. Life drawing starts up soon so I'll get some of that up, and some life studies of randoms. Yeah looks like I did over do it with the graphics but I tried to have a strong focal point so it wouldn't be overwhelmed. I guess I've got a lot to learn about simplification. Cheers for stopping by bro.

hover bike concept.
    Book of Sloth

I started to glue bits of vaccum cleaners onto it so see what would happen.
    Book of Sloth

Start on the teen challenge "the wanderer".
    Book of Sloth

Thanks
    the first bike works better, or rather screw the tubes, and just go for a better render of bike one, with the glass from bike 2 etc.

As for the teen challange, the lake works really well, and the scene have potential - as I'm unsure what you have worked over, I wont really go into light/colours etc until later, if need be. GL with it

Thanks
    Sothy, You colour works are awesome. great lighting and tonal choices. U could teach me a thing or two for sure! Good fun sketching with u guys the other day. I'm gonna subscribe to this dude..You have the makings of a superb artist!!
    Last edited by spudstudios; February 25th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.

Thanks
    hey man.
    im not much of an industrial design guy, but the first bike looks better. also what are the speckles underneath the bike? looks retarded.

everything about the TC piece is awesome so far. i think if you can nail the guy's face and hands, it will be really legit!

keep rocking on. you crazy rocker.

Thanks
    hey man sorry for sounding like an ass hole i do have a tendency to be a bit harsh on crits
    thanks for takin it with a grain of salt
    im liking how the wanderer is coming out tho man

Thanks
    dan liimatta: Cheers man.

spudstudios: Well I can learn I shit load on how to draw chicks from you man.

Lohan: Ha ha ha, yeah the retarded stuff is just supposed to be crap on the ground to give it some dimension, I saw feng zhu doing it with some of his marker stuff.

trevor: hey no worries man, crits like that push me harder

heres some drawings from life, studies and general crap. Life drawing starts up next week... Booya!

Attachment 101104

Attachment 101105

Attachment 101106

Attachment 101107

Attachment 101108

Attachment 101109

Attachment 101110

Attachment 101111

Attachment 101112

Attachment 101113
    Last edited by Evil_Sloth; March 1st, 2007 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks
    Haha! Its great to see you whip out these drawings! Good job! Good to see you working on your figures and anatomy bro! A few things to consider though. Weight distribution... a few of these drawings has the figure falling backwards or forwards. If you imagine that your drawings suddenly existed in a real world with physics then they might fall back or forwards.
    Some examples:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...9&d=1172756650
    The beast is leaning way too far infront of the feet. Think about which leg carries the weight and is the pivot. It looks like the left leg is the sipporting one and the right leg is quite slack (its stretching) so this leg wont hold much weight at all.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...4&d=1172756579
    This one is more subtle but shes leaning behind her legs, Imagine where the center of her weight is and drag a vertical line down and see if the positioning of the legs will be able to hold that up.

Thanks
    Bendragon: Ha ha ha thanks bro, yeah i'm know what you mean about my dudes looking like they are falling over I'll see what I can do.

final for the teen challenge:

Book of Sloth
    detail of the dude.

Book of Sloth

Thanks
    i really like how you've taken the crit and are focused on drawing a bit more, good stuff man.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast