Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Book of Sloth

Thanks
    Hey Evil Sloth! Nice pencil work there. Looks like you got a bit too carried away with the details though. The mace and the sword bends slightly, but its noticeable. Perhaps you went into the rendering stage too early (though thats whatI do too). Watch that left leg too, its meant to be behind the right but the foot is placed level with the right knee. And the angle of the foot doesnt suggest much of a turn.
    Im thinking that Sauron could also do with just a very few more highlights to define it better, at the moment its quite dark all over. But I like how you defined the forms. While its very nicely rendered, the construction couldve been bettered.

Keep up the digital stuff too! They are growing!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    man aweseom stuff...I actually really like the lotr piece...keep this stuff up

Thanks
    Bendragon: Thanks for the crit bro and thanks for voting for me aswell.

Gspot: Cheers for the kind words man.

Plane design.
    Book of Sloth

Thanks
    robot sketch.
    Book of Sloth
    original render, cut up some digging machine pics and other things and pasted them over my thumbnail.
    Book of Sloth

Thanks
    Really cool update, keep 'em coming!!

Thanks
    Chermilla: Thank you sir.

Omg robot crab of dooom....
    Book of Sloth
    Last edited by Evil_Sloth; January 23rd, 2007 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks
    Looks like your having fun with these experimenting!

Thanks
    Bendragon: Oh yeah man, it's more addictive than WoW atm, and thats saying a lot from me

Mermaid sketch in painter, coro's balls make a good painter paper btw.

Book of Sloth

Thanks
    haha ussum! old man piece rox sox

Thanks
    Hey plenty of good updates here, lots too look at...The TC piece is nicely done, and that ship is looking cool, good to see you doing more controlled pieces. interesting way you produced that robot, lol his pose made me chuckle, looks as though he's really fed up with someone. Did you do the crab the same way as the earlier RObot...either way it looks really good and solid, and slightly EVVviiillL!...

Thanks
    teen challenge wip, very fun. Still learning to use photo's properly.
    Book of Sloth

Thanks

Thanks
    Good progress with your pencils lately dude. Really strong improvements there. Your values really seem to work well. Is the armor etc from ref usually?

Thanks
    Good start with the snow battle, but damn if theres no composition there, its so busy that i have nowhere to look really and just stick with the big tank in the foreground. Too many things, too many missles, try and resolve that.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Thats one crazy snow battle...like the ULTIMATE snow battle, but it suffers in the areas that SirGreenSock pointed out. Good to see some more pencil work, i think only good can come of it, should help improve your overall skill. Good work.

Thanks

BoneDoctorBump

Got a very strong thread going here Evil <> like your use of color especially <> gave your stars some well deserved company <> keep up the great work <> one of the best rewards of being part of this kind of forum is seeing the massive improvement <> month to month and year to year.

Thanks
    j a k e : Nope no refs for traditional drawing. Interesting contrast to building and entire picture out of refs.

SirGreenSock: Good advice mate.

Prophet: Yeah man, it's easier to tame a wild horse than it is to inspire a lazy donkey or something. Just gotta keep on toneing it down.

mentler: Wow the bone doctor himself! I've been a fanboy of yours since I joined CA. Honoured to have you stop by. And thankyou for the encouragement and stars .

update on the battle.
    Book of Sloth

Thanks
    I would like to see more drawings, good sketchbook, but I woulnd't advice using photos, shortcuts are no good when your learning the ropes. This last piece isn't working for me everything appears to be very flat, and I can really tell that photoes were used. I think the point of using photos is to convince the viewer that you didn't.

Keep working hard

Thanks
    i don't know why some people are knocking the photo-manip stuff. i would say that particularly in concept design its incredibly useful because of the speed. if you have 2 concept artists and they both do amazing work but one of them is 2x as fast as the other, are you really going to care if he uses photos in his work?

that being said, you still have a lot to go with them. I highly suggest checking out tinfoil's (daniel dociu's) website for a great use of photos in concepts. http://www.tinfoilgames.com/ he uses them especially well in his architecture imo.

Thanks
    Hahahaha, Robot Crab Of Doom!! Incredible!!! ^_^

Thanks
    Looks like people automatically say anything related to photographs is wrong. I agree with Lohan, many concept artist uses photos in their work though they may do it better because they are more experienced at it.
    Im sure you can do worse things like not draw or paint at all!

Anyway, on the piece, I dont think the missileon the right should be so clear. Its flying fast after all. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Personally Ive got nothing against using photos or matte painting at all, especially not when its done well.
    I like the update compositionally, though its still not well integrated with the photo or interesting enough for me. It feels kinda stiff with the straight lines all over the landscape...Maybe try adding more action or a narrative so its not just robots blowing each other to shit tacked on top of a mountainside photo, seems like you could just as easily stick any sort of landscape underneath, not much concept.
    ps thats a tinyass mountain
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Darktwin: Thank you for stopping by mate. Totally agree with you. I really should be studying the basics, but I also feel that manipulating the values, colours and perspectives of elements to fit a given plate can also hold some educational benifits like understanding how to make something look relativly in its place. But like you said I'll be doing a lot of traditional studies when I start art school this year.

Lohan: Yeah tinfoil is the man. I can get things done a lot faster with photo's I think once I have a few more goes and start making it work well I'll be laughing but I think people might be worried that I let the photos do all the work without first designing the object and it's three perspectives.

Chermilla: Shoot the eyes to kill him!! lol

Bendragon: On the Christian Lorenz Shuerer Gnomon dvd's he talks about the taboo that a lot of people have with using photos. I basically got inspired by the fact that he could generate all these fantasical imagery using photographs and manipulating that to suit his purpose and backing it up with a strong knowledge of light and the three perspectives and form. I feel that if I use them I can get a lot more of what I have in my head down on to the canvas without getting frustrated of rendering something out and it not working. Good crit on the missle, I'll keep at it bro.

SirGreenSock: Well I think when people see that I have used a photo instead of painting something they will focus a lot more on it fitting into the scene rather then form because it is already renderd. Some interesting possibilities are comming from it. Thanks for the crits too bro.

Non ref'd basic round brush speedy.
    I was thinking of those easter Island head things and kinda made them into gorilla cone head dudes...

Book of Sloth

Thanks

Thanks
    Another oils of this pimptastic tree. Didn't do the best job of stiching the scans though...
    Book of Sloth

Thanks
    Good work on these paintings dude! The fountain one is the best. I like the many colours reflected on it, really puts it in a surrounding.
    The tree piece, has a few flat colours in there though. But its great to see the diversity of your skills

Thanks
    damn, you're getting a really nice painterly style. keep up the good work mate.
    tree needs more love though. the leaves are very rushed
    can't wait to see more oils!

Thanks
    Ben and Tex, thanks dudes yeah I didn't like the tree piece I think I'll stick to smaller canvas's for sketches
    I need to be more manley with my oils and not be a bitch and use tiny bits on my pallete and expect it to cover everything, you run into some problems then...

Here's a piece I've been working on for a couple of days, going to be a present for a chicka.
    Still in the wip stage but it's comming along.

Book of Sloth

Thanks

Thanks
    http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8053/presentzt3.jpg Just beautifull. Can't wait to see her finished. ^^

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast