Oil Paint and brushes

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oil Paint and brushes

I family friend in Bulgaria wanted to know how much oil painting supplies cost in the west, so I've been on a hunt around here doing price checking in the local stores. However, I have no real knowledge of paints and painting supplies, so I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for companies to check out. So far I've seen some Bob Ross brand paints and brushes, Schmincke, and some company with a red and white logo who's name I forgot to write down. Prices are around 4.00-6.50 euro per tube with sizes of about 35-55 ml accordingly.

Are there other companies with oil paints you can recommend, and about how much would I expect to pay in dollars or euros? Also, are there any recomended brands for brushes, or do most brushes hold up well?

I'd appreciate some input, since I'd hate to tell him there are cheap oilpaints here only to find out they are total trash.

Last edited by dfacto; July 29th, 2006 at 05:40 PM.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Bob Ross ones are trash. Schminke are top quality paints, and relatively expensive.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't remember exact numbers per tube, but spent almost 300 bucks on oil paints a few years ago. I haven't finished them yet, but it still made me cringe at the time. I also don't paint so much these days so.. heh.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Winsor Newton is my personal brand of choice. You could get the most accurate pricing info by checking on retailer's websites (dick blick, pearl, utrect, etc.) but I think I generally pay between $4-$20 for a 37ml tube depending on the series of pigment (earth colors being cheaper than prismatics, you know?) and the store I buy them in. That's for artist grade, the Winton student grade is cheaper, though of lower quality.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto
    about how much would I expect to pay in dollars or euros?
    Depends on what colours you are buying, Windsor and Newton or Daler-Rowney artist grade is about £3-5 for a 37ml tube of say, burnt umber but cad yellow, ultramarine or cad red is double that.

As pointed out though, there are cheaper student versions ("Winton" and "Georgian" respectively) which will set you back about £20 at most for a starter set.

Those are UK shop prices btw, I'd imagine you could get them cheaper online or in mainland Europe.

Last edited by Flake; July 30th, 2006 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stick pretty much exclusively to Holbein's... I love em!, though even in NYC there's only 1 store I know of that stocks em. Should be fine to get them online though. Usually between $7 and $24 per tube... like Dave said, depending on the color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man i always spend soo much when i get oils. but i aint got alot so i can only by a few tubes at a time. there something like $5-$25

most stores around here that i have been too cary gamblin, i dont like the paint i had of theres but i like galkyd and that neomegsomethingthatlookslikesnot that stuff is rad its creamy goodness.

theres a store called daniel smith that makes there own oils i had one tube of someting from there that i really like but i think there pritty cheap and regonal

never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingwa
    I stick pretty much exclusively to Holbein's... I love em!, though even in NYC there's only 1 store I know of that stocks em.
    Pearl and New York Central both carry Holbein. I know Utrecht carries their gouache and acrylic gouache, I'm not certain about their oils.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to look around the area some more to see if the brands you mentioned are available in the stores here. Hopefully I can find some nice bargains for him.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another European paint brand I know that's high quality is Blockx. Others that aren't too bad: Solo Goya, Sennelier, Lukas and Lefranc & Bourgeois. Many of these make student grade which are cheaper, but of even lesser quality.

Winsor & Newton makes decent brushes too. There's a US brand called Silver that I'm particularly fond of.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dbclemons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pearl and New York Central both carry Holbein.
    Ah Thanks Elwell.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.