Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Here's my first digital piece done for print! It's my cousin's Christmas picture. He wanted an ocean scene, so that's what I gave him. This was a pretty challenging piece, as it required me to draw several things I'm not comfortable with: rocks, splashing water, clouds, etc. So, even if I was only partially successful, it was good practice, and it chipped away at my discomfort with drawing those things. Also, one thing about printing a full-size copy of a digital piece makes all the flaws and mistakes very apparent, so I'll know what to avoid doing next time.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Spectacled Baublehead

My first CoW in a while! If I finish it, that is. We have a choice of topics this time around: Elf Eater, or Bauble Maker. I was initially more attracted to the Elf Eater, as large predators are fun as hell, but as I thought about it I decided the Bauble Maker had more creative possibilities.
    The pictures:
    -Some doodles. As with my Unique Lovers, I sketched many heads. It turns out my first one was the best one this time, though.
    -My first line drawing of the Bauble Maker. I imagined its baubles growing on its tail, but as I drew it I realized I had no idea how to attach the baubles to its flesh (adding connective tissue made them look testicular), and that the design simply wasn't that attractive.
    -My second line drawing. Actually just an edit of the first. I erased the baubles from its tail and added some bobble-encrusted antlers. The result, I think, is a much much better design. The head isn't so naked anymore, and the tail is no longer competing for attention with the face, which I like very much.

Thanks
    Happy Holidays my friend!

Thanks
    Happy new year!! (when it comes)
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks

Duh-dun...duh-dun...duh-dun duh-dun duh-dun (Jaws theme)

Lazy and Mr Man, thank you both. I'm thankful I can count you guys as my friends, I really am. Just some cheesy, warm and fuzzy holiday mush for guys.:p

Anyway, some aht.
    -Further WIPage of my Spectacled Baublehead. Obviously, there's a halo of unerased tone value around it. Unsurprisingly, it's not going to be finished in time for the CoW activity. I think I've started and not completed as many CoWs as I have completed. Ah well, I'm still going to do something with it.
    -The reason I'm not going to finish my Baublehead in time. Here's my dad's Christmas present. I have a history of doing shark-related pictures for him, so this year I'm drawing a land shark. I imagine it occupying a similar niche as a sea lion, agile in the water but still able to get around well on land. I confess that I eyedropped many of the colors from photos.
    -My progress on the picture so far. I'm putting the lessons I've learned from recent pictures into practice: don't make colors too pale; use fewer, larger brush strokes, but get in close and small for details; reduce my reliance on the line art. Also, I've tossed out some of my eyedropped colors in favor of some of my own colors.
    -Closeup of the land shark's head. To get a bit of a painterly effect, as well as a sense of the shark's sandpaper-like skin, I made a trapezoidal, direction-following brush. I'm happy with the effect I'm getting from it.

Thanks
    I like the antler baubles alot. Your thinking it through sorta made me laugh, about the shapes and the connotations, but that's what it's all about....how it's read and you don't want people impressed for the wrong reasons. As always, I love your colored paper critters. LOve to see them develop and just watching you playing around with their designs is fun. See you in cow sometime.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks

Fairly large dump

This is one of my larger image dumps in a while. I've been pretty busy making art the past few days. My last picture present is done and printed, so I'm no free to draw whatever I want. So, I'm going to work on my fundamental skills a bit and do some still lives.

The images:
    -The final image of my Baublehead. I can hardly believe that it's gotten three votes already in the CoW voting thread. I usually get one vote at the most. I think it's my most successful creature image in a very long while. People have described it as graceful, elegant, and plausible, which was basically what I was going for. So, I'm happy. The rendering isn't the best, though. Ah well. I may work on it some more, or I may not.
    -My final land shark image. To tell the truth, this wasn't very much fun to paint, as I didn't really know how to accurately render most of the objects. Plus, since it was a Christmas gift, and Christmas was like a week ago, I had to work some long hours to get it done. My dad's really happy with it, though, so I'm glad.
    -My first digital still life. I decided to do these many months ago, but it's only just now that I'm finally starting. For observational drawing, I use many techniques that I learned in my high school mechanical drawing classes, such as using many horizontal and vertical guide lines to set up a drawing. I've found it very useful, and recommend to anyone to take mechanical drawing classes, if you can. Anyway, I believe my steps are pretty much self-explanatory. I also posted these images in the Critique Center. Here's the link, if anyone wants to go give me a crit. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85995 Or just critique me here, if you like. Whatevs.

Thanks
    Great work Moai! I dig your thumbs/ideas/latest digital renders, keep it up.

Thanks

Oldie Moldies

AztcFireFlower- Thanks, pal. Your comments are always appreciated. I don't know about seeing you in CoW, though. I'm thinking of going off on my own course of study for the next while and spend each week focusing on a different thing. One week I'll focus on a certain type of still life, the next on a certain type of animal, the next on a certain part of human anatomy, etc. I think it'll be a good way to get my skills up without being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things to learn. If I can stick with it, that is.
    wizzy- Thanks! Ya know, you ought to start your own sketchbook. They're great for making connections with other members and displaying your artistic progression.

So, today I scanned a whole buncha pictures from some of my older sketchbooks. I was going to have a short description of each picture, my ideas behind the creatures, etc., but after all the time it took to scan these and attach these, I don't feel like it anymore. So there.

Keep in mind that a lot of these are a couple years old.

Thanks
    Just drew this tonight. I've been noodling around with the idea of a more mammalian dragon for a little while, and here is a result of that. It's not obvious the way I drew this creature, but I imagined some sort of bone process protruding from the side of the ribcage for the wing pectorals to anchor on. It's fun making creatures plausible.

I'm kinda playing around with an idea of an entire alternate evolution. Dragons, as they are usually depicted, are hexapods, with three pairs of limbs. All vertebrates that have evolved for flight have done so by converting one pair of legs into wings, not by growing an entire new pair of limbs. So, six-limbed dragons probably wouldn't be descendants of tetrapods, or even very closely related. In my alternate evolution idea, a continent that remained isolated throughout most or all of evolutionary history became populated by hexapods, not tetrapods. Almost all vertebrate niches would be occupied by hexapods; the dragon would just be one possible creature out of very many.
    This idea was partly inspired by a little blurb in an addition of Zoobooks that showed a six-limbed human being and said something about what if the first fishes to crawl on land had had six legs instead of four. And it always annoyed me how even books or shows that tried to explain scientifically how a dragon would function never bothered to explain how the hell it grew a whole new pair of limbs, when no other tetrapod that I am aware of has ever done so.
    Anyway, just a geeky ramble. Hope it was a little interesting for you.
    Last edited by Moai; January 8th, 2007 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks

Life Drawings 1-5 out of 29

So I finally got around to photographing twenty nine of my best life drawings from last semester. Seeing as how people drawing is a serious weak point of mine, I would really appreciate some critiques of these (Ahem!AztcFireFlower.Ahem!) Excuse me.

If you notice a certain monotony in these pictures and those yet to come, that's because every model in the class was a middle-aged woman.

Thanks
    More lifeys. Once again, criticism would be uber-appreciated.

Thanks

Peacockupine

For the latest CoW, Hairy Beauty, my creature will be the Peacockupine. I actually came up with it months ago, when doodling for a previous CoW. For some odd reason I decided to draw a skeleton of the creature. This didn't take very long, just about an hour. Based heavily on real rodent skeletons I found online. Always use reference, buoys and gulls.

Thanks
    sick progress in your sketchbook!
    just wanna say you have some cool creature designs her, how do you come up with all that stuff?? the pokemons looks good as well.
    I dont understand your latest chow, is its hair transperant?
    anyway keep doing those studies!
    Im gonna go look at some animal reff now...

Thanks
    frostsnake- Thanks! As for how I come up with my creatures, it's a combination of nature and nurture. I have always been a very creative, imaginative person, and my creativity has always centered on creatures. When I was young I'd constantly see creature shapes in trees and clouds and whatnot. My mom noticed how imaginative I was at an early age, as well as how much I liked animals, so she encouraged that by buying me hundreds of books on animals, dinosaurs, weird creatures, etc. I also watched a lot -- a lot -- of Discovery Channel shows. Even when I was in preschool I probably knew more about animals than my teachers. So, having all that stuff in my brain since early childhood definitely helps. So yeah, just soak up all the animal info that you can. It really helps.
    As for your other question, no, my CoW's hair isn't transparent. That's just a quickie drawing of its skeleton, and the silhouette is there just to show what the animal would be shaped like with hair and flesh. It isn't my final entry be any means; if it's included at all, it'll be just a little supplmenent/diagram to the side of the main picture.
    Anyway, thanks so much for visiting my sketchbook. I was stoked to see that someone had left me a comment.

Now, for a large dump of new artwork.

-A minor update to my pen stand still life.
    -The steps for my latest still life that I just did today. It was pretty fun to do, and I'm really happy with the result. Both of these can be found in my still life thread in the Critique Center, if you want to, you know, give a critique. In the Critique Center. Yeah.:rollseyes: The last image in this series, the really ugly one, was a false start.
    -The last batch of my life drawings. All of these probably only amount to about a fifth of the work I did in that class. We went through a lot
    of paper.

EDIT: Just noticed that this is my 666th post. The Post of the Beast!
    Last edited by Moai; January 11th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1