Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At last you have your stars!!!!Congratulations!You deserve them!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Four months to get through page two, a month and a half to get through page three.
    Mr. Man- Nice to see you, dude! Thanks for the compliments! Is zbrush a free for download program? If it is, I'll have to check it out.
    Camara- You're a pal. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHOA! You’re work is amazing! I’m still very new member to conceptart.org (look at my join date). But I spent a TON of time browsing and looking through other members sketchbooks before I joined (I was a bit of a zombie for awhile). I mainly paid attention to the sketchbook’s creature creations, and I’ve got to say, yours are some of the most amazing I’ve ever seen! They (your creatures) are all, somehow, magically believable. They all (in my opinion) achieve the perfect blend between reality and fantasy that every creature designer strives to accomplish. Sure, any person can make some bizarre and weird looking animal, but it take REAL talent to make something new and beautiful, like your creatures. Your figures are really good too, and they’re rapidly improving. The only thing that I can critic on is your environments and landscapes. Your environments always still seem a bit out of focus and blobby; as if they haven’t finished all the way (but they’re still really good). What I would do in situation like this is I would work a lot on just trying to develop good technique. And, if you haven’t already tried, use references. Begin painting places that already exist, which will make it a lot easier to create ones later on. Anyways, other than that, all I can say is keep up the incredible work! You’re gonna go places with all that talent.

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ignonimious- Thanks so much! Believability is what I strive for, so it's wonderful to hear you say that. Your critique on my environments is spot on. Many of them aren't finished all the way, and I'm just taking a very long (perhaps indefinite) break on them. I'm in the process of drawing my way through a hulking architecture book, to ease my way into drawing buildings, so perhaps I'll start to include more natural environments. Thanks again!

pld:pld:pld:...I just noticed that I have five stars. Holy crap. Thanks, voters!

Sketchgroupies- I'm sorry for the long delay here. I've drawn quite a lot, and I even got a new scanner so I could post my new drawings, but fucking Lexmark is still being a pain in the Vista drivers department. Grrrr!!!!

Last edited by Moai; April 5th, 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I can wait. :] Hopefully it'll work out and we'll see some sketches soon.

My Current Sketchbook

Ye Olde' Sketchbooks

F**KS GIVEN: ZERO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good quality all around! I especially think your creature doodles come out really good. I see you have the burne hogarth book, how is it? would you recommend a fellow artist to purchase it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support, Monsterkill. The scanner situation is, officially, taken care of. The largest share of my troubles owed to the driver: I downloaded the wrong one, dammit! Then I chatted online with a Lexmark person for a little bit, and that cleared everything up. So now I'm happily scanning! Well, not too happily. It's not the best scanner I've ever used, and it's the only one where I've had to turn down the contrast and brightness after scanning the images, when usually the opposite is true. Oh well.

The images:
    -Lion anatomical studies and some space goons. I'm not very happy with the linework on the two lion facial muscle studies; I just got some new mechanical pencils, and I'm trying them out. The space goons are somewhat related to the "Space Dick" ChoW of yesterweek. Add costume design to my "things I need to work on" list.
    -More buildings and lion anatomy. I draw creatures all the time and get many compliments on them, but the fact is that I fake many parts of their anatomy, particularly the feet and the muscles of the legs and shoulders. As you can see, I'm working on that. Also, s'more structures that I'm happy with, though the angles of the different faces of the Myanmar temple are way off.
    -Ah, some critters. I haven't been very inspired to draw creatures the last few days, since I know I need to work on other things. Anyway, I've had the idea of doing a picture of the Nemean Lion for a while now, and this is the first sketch of it that I've posted. My idea is of a massive, bulky lion, with smaller features to show its huge size. This picture is only somewhat successful. Since that got me in the Greek mood, I also drew a Hydra and a Chimera.
    -More buildings. The Vienna Exhibition Hall is the only one that I'm really happy with. I'm also happy with the little picture in the lower left, of the dragon and the frog. It was inspired by a History Channel show of ancient Chinese technology. It's pretty amazing what the Chinese came up with, thousands of years before us westerners. Anyway, there was an ancient Chinese seismometer on the show that was decorated on the outside by statues of dragons holding balls in their mouths. If there was an earthquake, the ball would fall out of the dragon's mouth and fall into the mouth of a frog statue. So there you have it.

I have some more sketches, including more buildings and some weapon designs, but I'm not done with them yet.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasker- You sneaky people who post while I'm working on my own posts! Anyway, the Burne Hogarth book I used was his book on the human head, not his standard anatomy and figure drawing books on the whole body. It's a good book and it really helped me get to know the basic forms of the head, and it has a lot of useful information. I'd recommend it, but I'd also recommend studying other books in addition to it. I see from your sketchbook that you're already doing that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, awesome! The skulls and the temple sketch are especially nice! When I look at your sketches, iI'm really impressed by how soft your technique is, compared to mine, which is very dark and harsh. What pencils do you use?
    Nothing to crit atm, looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amer-nazri- Just you wait until I start working on another painting. Then you'll have plenty to crit! I mostly use an HB, sometimes a 4B. 4Bs give more expressive lines, but it's hard to draw very lightly with them, and it's kinda hard to blend the lines of a 4B in with an HB. Different kinds of leads have different characters and textures. For example, marks made by an 8B really stand out against marks made by a 4B, even if there's not much of a value difference.
    A rambling answer to a simple question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work Moai! I epecially like the dragons and the lion heads at the top of the page with all the lion feet on it. My only crit is that the nemean lion's muzzle doesn't look like it's following the direction of the rest of the face, but i know that it's only your first sketch of it.
    Your buildings are getting a lot better!

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Ignominious! Thanks for the crit. That's a problem I have with muzzles of that sort.
    I know I haven't gone through with any of my EoW's of late, but I'm feeling especially inspired by the latest one, "The Sacred Grove of the Machinae." Combining mysticism and shamanism and the like with high tech robotics is a big interest of mine, even if I don't draw it that much, so I'll have a got at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update Moai, I like that character below the lion skull, very wacky design. Nice building, and lion studies as well. The creatures are cool too, I think its good that your both doing proper studies, but also changing and creating a twisted version of the animals. I think if you just kept doing that then It might hurt you, but since your working on the proper anatomy on the animals as well is great. Not too much to crit on really, will you be using any of these studies for a future piece, or these mainly just to learn from, practice etc. Congrats on the 5 stars too.

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Yautja892! These are mostly just practice, expanding my visual vocabulary and all that. I do have a more involved piece percolating in my brain though, but it has nothing to do with these sketches.
    Back to four stars now. I think that's more appropriate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your creatures are great, and not cliche. It's good to see something other than facehuggers and horned demons. Great sheep and lizards, and Winged Healer CoW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice animal studies! knowing the understructure of any creature definitely helps you draw anything from the outside better. i also enjoyed your structure studies. i would say to keep on pushing the angles and get out of your comfort zone of just drawing them straight ahead =] what would the mayanmar temple look like if you were looking up at it? i love those shots.

some of your animal sketches, i feel like you've drawn them way too low of the page so maybe you felt really claustrophobic and started limiting yourself to that much space. like you know the times when you're drawing on a piece of paper and you obviously can't fit the whole body in it so you start to squish it down?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Spice of Life

Variety, that is. Not melange.

Qitsune- Thanks! Glad you like em. I drew my share of horned demons back in the day, though.
    theredshoe- Thanks, sketchgroupie. For your suggestion of drawing buildings from more extreme angles to get out of my comfort zone, I think for now drawing buildings at all is out of my comfort zone. I'm not really sure what you mean by your other crit, but I know I often don't make use of my drawing space as well as I could.

The images:
    -I decided to draw some weapons, so here's some strange ornamental club type things, as well as some handguns. The clubs are from my imagination, the guns from Yahoo images. Also, some mediocre buildings, some half-assed little creature sketches, and a guy from National Geographic who I thought had a lot of character, so I drew him. Sketching a cube around him helped a lot, even if I didn't do it as well as I could have.
    -I decided to draw some robots, too. I really like these little guys that I drew. I find that I can draw simple, fairly curvy robots very easily. It's the complex, industrial ones with all the mechanisms and gizmos that give me a hard time. I also drew some more people, this time without reference. The guy on the left is based off of a guy I saw on the bus. He had a visor on upside down and backward with a Honda emblem attached to it. It was memorable, so I drew it. It looks nothing like the guy looked, though. Inspired by the guy's fro-like hair, I drew the tribal guy on the right, who was fun to draw, but isn't that great or accurate of a portrait. Also fun was the horsehead shaman, inspired by some Celtic guy in costume from a National Geographic. I think I'll paint up a full portrait of him, sooner or later.
    -Two thumbs for my Grove of the Machinae EoW. I'm currently more inspired by the lower one, so I'm going to do some more thumbs to elaborate on that.

Edit: Lowered the contrast a bit more on my sketches. My new scanner adds loads of contrast, so I have to reduce it quite a lot to get it looking more like it actually does.

Last edited by Moai; April 10th, 2007 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always loved your animal drawings. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's because they're always so... great! Do you have a favourite animal you like to draw?

Or rather, if you only got to draw a single animal for the rest of your life; which one would it be?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Einen! My favorite animal to draw? Eeeg, that's a tough one. Well, I like goats and sheep, and prehistoric crocodilians. Any more answer than that and I'd have to think, and I'm too tired and hungry. G'night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the first painting because of its nice values. however i think the second one is more dynamic. composition and lighting of this piece works really well together. also you're demonstrating scale and depth with how you're playing with the shape and shadows of the mountain and the character. having the character in a good shadowy shape and not much detail really gives it such a mysterious feel. i wonder, "what is that character feeling or thinking about?"

good job, would like to see where this progresses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really liking the palette that you've picked, and the atmosphere for your EoW. I was wondering, you're drawing from this big architecture book, what book is it? It looks really interesting, i want to look into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theredshoe- I feel just the same way as you do about my EoW thumbs. I like the values in the first one, but I'm much more attracted to the second one. Thanks for the comments!
    Ignonimious- The book is called Architecture: A Visual History, and weighs at least three pounds. I don't remember the author, though. Thank you as well for the comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Intresting sketches. I love the building style you used on that one pic
    Keep up the good work!

My Current Sketchbook

Ye Olde' Sketchbooks

F**KS GIVEN: ZERO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another Thumb

Monsterkill- Thanks! I assume you're talking about the Einstein building on the first sketch?
    Anurism- Thanks, dude! That reminds me that I need to go comment in your sketchbook.

Here's another thumb for EoW. It's only partially complete, because the brush I was using (a complex vegetation brush with several jitters) killed photoshop, so I had to salvage it with a screen capture. Good thing it was only a thumb!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the range of studies you have here - creatures, environments, characters. I like what you have started in the last thumbnail, looks like it will be great when you flesh it out

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o_o holy shiznits! Those last sketches are gold! The first EoW study vaguely reminds me of this print by Jaques Callot. Anyway, the EoW studies are coming along nicely. They show that you can compose scenes that are not entirely dominated by characters (figures/animals/robots/etc.)

Also, the architectural studies are sweet. I can tell you're learning a lot. (plus you used a straightedge! :3) I'm being super-nitpicky here, but I think your elipses on the Tower of London are a little off. Anyway, I really love the design for that weird mace-like weapon (morningstar?) It's very unique, clean and elegant.

Btw, your animals are amazing as always. I like how you made the Hirola out of basic shapes. The shapes and underlying structure add such classical rythm and beauty. I think that the animals you've made out of basic shapes now and in the past tend to be the best-looking ones.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iolarnula- Thank you!
    Katfayheirti- I don't doubt that those ellipses are off, since I did them quickly and freehand. The weapons are more ornamental clubs than morning stars, which tend to have the smashing mass concentrated towards the end in a ball or a bundle of spikes or some such. I agree with you on the basic shapes. I think pretty much everything looks better when composed out of basic shapes.

Okay, so all of the sudden I'm really pissed off. Wanna know why? When doing digital art at school, I use my teacher's Mac laptop, because the school is anal about putting programs like drivers onto the school computers. I also work in TIFF format, rather than PSD, to save space. So, this afternoon, I saved my WIP onto my thumb drive so I could work on it over the weekend, and it seems that I saved it in Mac format! I can't do a goddamn thing with it on my computer now.
    Well, here it is anyway. I suppose I could salvage my way out of this. I received the suggestion to combine my first thumbnail (the one with the tree) and my third one (with the slanting rocks), which I thought was a good idea. So here's my thumb and WIP for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Moai

real nice sketchbook. real fun to look at. some intersting creature designs. the last post is real cool. to maybe help out, it seems like the tree and the rocks are the same distance away from the viewer. I would maybe mess around with bring one of them more forward for intest. and I know your not done but adding some really distance trees or architecture or mist or something in that empty space might give it more depth. hope I help, if this is stuff you already know just ignore me. hope you fix the problem with the mac format so you can finish anyway... real cool stuff. I'll be stoppin by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai!!

Well you know I love your animal studies...

So you are trying out new stuff with robots and Environments,
    Nice progress so far.
    And I like that you can just start from scratch with color and not going to grays, because I think I can't do that and always wonder how other people do it. I bet it's safe to say that you are more comfortable with organic shapes!

What course are you in? I think I'll go to interior design and fashion school this June, not the atelier that I was hoping for. Need to study design myself.
    Be Blessed!

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3