Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Here's my second picture for my job. It's a design my friend/boss's sister that I redid. That's pretty much what I'll be doing for a while, improving on the ideas of his friends and family.
    Moai's Sketchbook

And here's a random posting of my avatar pic. Acrylic, 12x14 or 14x18. I don't really remember.
    Moai's Sketchbook
    Last edited by Moai; September 6th, 2006 at 10:37 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's some more sketches and finished pieces.

My final creek crawler.

Moai's Sketchbook

I branched out a bit this week and participated in CoW, but only because it was a topic where I didn't necesarily have to draw a clothed human.

Moai's Sketchbook

And here's Wayne Barlowe again, sneaking into my artwork! Sketches for the Ethereal Stalker CoW, which is a topic that I suggested.

Moai's Sketchbook

And oh gosh, oh boy, oh gee! My first doodles on my Wacom Intuos3 9x12 tablet! I think the best part about it is that it's so easy to sketch in color now, without using real paints or colored pencils.

Moai's Sketchbook

Thanks

Speed Painting Time!

Now that I have my tablet, there's no more 'scuses. I need to branch out and push my boundaries. So, I'm going through my National Geographics and doing some speed paintings of environments. This is a small Carribean island at sunset. I'm not too happy with the clouds, and the fact that the brushstrokes are the same size throughout goes against any feeling of depth. It's a start, though.
    Moai's Sketchbook

More of these to come, along with some still lives. Crits, comments, congratulations, commiserations are all welcome.

Thanks

Another Update

So let's see here...There's my CoW entry for the ethereal stalker, and a saved version before I messed it up by changing the color balances, damn foo' that I am. Poor composition, but that's because I planned to fill up the space on the right with diagrams and whatnot. Oh well.
    Then there's too roughs for my Iceberg Devourer, and the final. It's easily by best work yet in digital.

Feel free to leave a comment! Damn, it's been weeks since my last comment.

Thanks
    Those pencil drawings are something else. I love those critter designs. I'll have to check back here when you have refined a bit, but this is great stuff! See you around!
    "Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Thanks, masterpug! Seeing a post by another person in my sketchbook really made my day. I'm glad you like my creature designs. I'm refining with every piece I do (I hope!), so do check back. Thanks again!

Thanks

Quickies

Speedpainting is fun.
    The first image is a dragon based off a photo of a Palawan hornbill bird, which is native to the Phillipines. The second is based off a Chevy Suburban ad. The third is based off a photo of the Eden Project, huge artificial biomes in England. All sources were from National Geographic magazines.
    Last edited by Moai; September 26th, 2006 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks

'nother update

Two updates in one day! I've been speedpainting all afternoon. This cheesy little number is the result of scribbling on my tablet while closing my eyes, and then going off the resulting random shape. Kinda stupid, but fun.

Thanks
    your still lifes are very good.

maybe your digital paints could use more value contrast...

your sketchbook is better than mine...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai
    Did you read me say somewhere that I was a Wayne Barlowe fan, or is his influence that evident in my work?
    It was evident in your work. :-)
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks

Very Simple Speedpaintings

Chr- Thanks! Good call on the value contrasts. See below.
    Seedling- Wearing my influences on my shirtsleeves, I guess.

So here we have some uber-simple speedpaints. The first two were an experiment in color. On the first one, I looked at at a photograph and blocked in the shapes with colors of my choosing. On the second one, I used the eyedropper and paint bucket to replace my colors with the actual colors of the photograph. Note the higher contrast of the actual colors. I have a dendency to pull my values towards the middle, it seems. Something to work on.
    The last speedpainting is of a photograph of the arctic from a National Geographic. It's empty because I didn't like the way the dog sled team turned out.
    Last edited by Moai; September 29th, 2006 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks
    dude..you're really addicted to "national geographic". May I suggest painting from life more?

I still haven't gotten the hang of speed painting. Pencilling first makes mine come out better. Interesting how your eye works.
    I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Hey Moai You got some fun stuff here in your sketchbook, Lots of great ideas for creatures etc.
    I really should be participating in the cow more often now.
    see you in the cow forums
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    llothcat- I like the National Geographic because it has a huge variety of different places and subjects, and because I have quite a few of 'em laying around here. As for painting from life, perhaps I'll take a little square of canvas and some paints to the beach with me one day. Thanks for stopping by.
    Mr Man- Thanks! Participating in these activities is a good thing. It's a great motivator for doing your best. I love you're title, "Lesbian in a Man's Body."
    I'll comment in both of your sketchbooks pretty soon.

Thanks
    Dude, You are seriously devouring your tablet. Just the energy of seeing all this together is really nice. You're really trying everything and its inspiring.

The green starfish-thingy is nice for such a quick sketch, as is the dino/hornbill/dragon. And of course the iceberg devourer is the newly discovered inhabitant of Darwin IV's polar regions, which Ike and Leo missed spotting before the Eosapiens ate them.

Nice job. And your far better at updating your sketchbook than I am.

Are you doing any humans yet?

Love the dogfood quote, btw.

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1