Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Moai's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A pencil sketch and some thumbs for this week's CoW.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must say I do enjoy looking at your creature thumbnails. Keep that pencil drawing man!

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your little pencil thumbs, they make me want to wear an octopus on my head as well.

When youre fully adapted to your wacom youll be a force to be reckoned with

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the progress of your cow entry.

Really nice sky. but i think it lacks focus now and balance between hard/soft ... but its still a thumb...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr Man- Thanks, you lesbian in a man's body you!
    Supervlieg- Thanks, buddy. I'm glad to hear you say that. Slowly but surely, I'm getting the hang of this digital art stuff. It's no so much my tablet that's challenging me as it is Photoshop, the quirks of its brushes, the different painting modes, handling the layers, etc.
    Chr- Thanks for the crit. The final is below. As you can see, there's still an issue of hardness and softness going on. Most of that has to do with the fact that I've never painted serious clouds before, but the creature could be a little sharper. I think I cleared up the issue of the focal point, though. I recieved plenty of great help from the folks over in the CoW forums.

Here's "No Legs, No Wings, Incredibly Fast" and "Hypnotizing," my most recent CoW entries. This week I'm doing and Environment of the Week as well, so I'll post my progress on that. I also have some sketches to scan and post here, so stay tuned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Manticore

Here's another little something I'm working on, between school and chores and the weekly activities. It's a full color illustration of my manticore. Dragon4lunch gave me the idea. I'm loosely following Chuck Wadey's Hypnotizing tutorial (http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79449).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Three updates in just under two hours! Here's some thumbs for EoW. I think I'll have to do a third one that's a hybrid of the two, since there're things I like and dislike about these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works man, I really enjoyed going through this SB. Keep it up!!

~Mau Fournier

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Mau! I will keep it up. This website has made me more excited about doing art that I've been in years.

Here we have my mostest favoritest humanoid insect ever: the Tsiktsik. I expect to have much more fun with him. Also, a cactus house, a pipe, some fungipillers, and the first stage of my "Rumble in the Jungle" final piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like the jungle piece.. but i have problem telling what is happening. is the t-rex sleeping or dead? I guess it fell from the tree? Or did the tree hit him? You could maybe show that the tree have fell recently through fresh dirt and vegetation.

Edit: its more obvious what have happened than what i first thought.but not extremely clear. yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chr- It's not a T-Rex, it's a made up crocodile-like creature called a Terrasuchus. It's sleeping, not dead. It was made for "Rumble in the Jungle," this week's Environment of the Week. It has a very slow metabolism and often slumbers for weeks after feeding, long enough for moss and lichen and whatnot to start growing on it. What's happening is probably much more apparent in the contect of the EoW thread. Thanks for the critique.

Here's the description.

Description: Golden sunlight filtered through the canopy of a southern Pangaean jungle. An Eospinus, a small pelycosaur, scampered over mossy tree routes in pursuit of tasy gliding lizards. Just as it was about to leap and snatch its prey out of the air, the Eopspinus paused. It lacked true ears and could not hear the deep rumbling sound, but it could feel the vibration of the ground beneath its feet. Uneasily, the Eospinus tasted the air with its forked tongue, and registered the unmistakable scent of the most powerful predator of its age, the Terrasuchus. The Eospinus scurried away. The Terrasuchus slept on, its slumber uninterrupted, the deep rumbles of its snores striking fear into the heart of any creature to hear them. The Terrasuchus had eaten well. It had slept, digesting, for six weeks, until moss and lichen took root in its hide and it became part of the landscape. But now, in the mysterious depths of its primitive mind, there was a familiar stirring. The Terrasuchus was hungry again, and would soon feed.

And here's my progress. I'm not sure whether the final should be flipped horizontally or not. Thanks to Chuck Wadey and his excellent tutorial!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we have: a page of sketches for "Trick or Treat," last week's CoW, some sketches for this week's CoW, my lousy final for last week's CoW, and my final for "Rumble in the Jungle."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life Sketches Dump

Here's a whole buncha pages from my life drawing sketchbook that I thought were worthy of posting here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gotta Ketchum all!!

These are some of the funnest things I've drawn in weeks! Pokemon redesigns on toned paper. You'll be seeing a lot more of these from me, methinks.
    For the Pokemon redesign thunderdome challenge, I think I'm going to choose Bulbasaur and its evolutions, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving very well.
    Especially with that forest shot, looking good.
    Simply love the Pokemon sketches in a way so dark and evil!
    Great stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Lazy! Glad you like my enviro!
    Here's my final and various WIPs for CoW #66(6): Hellish Beast. I did a Hellsteed.
    Plus, a naked mole rat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... some of these are really great I really love how you incorporate such a mix of animals in some of these. Keeps me busy trying to figure out what all you used. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good work on the EOW, you're pushing yourself. Keep well up with the anatomy studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BohemianChaos- Thanks! I had dozens of Zoo Books and other animal books as a kid, so by preschool I knew more about animals than my teacher. That knowledge comes in handy!
    Kian- Thanks. Glad you like my EoW. I'm just beginning to work my way through a huge book of anatomy. I'll post that when I have a full page of studies.
    Thanks for the encouraging words, both of you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bulbie

Here's the steps of my Bulbasaur redesign. It's my best digital render so far, I think.

Just now I tried to sneak a little more self-advertisement into my signature by adding a little thumbnail of my latest work. When I previewed my signature, it just showed the image code with a sad smily. Shoulda known that wouldn't work. If people were allowed to put images in their signatures, threads would take years to load.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai:

Your work is really coming along. Look at that dinosaur with the fallen tree! OMG. When did you do that? You're getting it. Really you are. The tonalities are really getting subtle and starting to sing together in a nice way.

I know you like a crit with a post in your SB, but I don't have one, I'm so struck with the dino and bulbasaur updates.... I guess I'd say... keep doing that... that thing you're doing, just do it more.

No seriously, its really cool. It's like a big red tomato on Miracle Gro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Moai,
    Always love looking at your varied critters. I like all the dinosaurish little alien fuana critters on your first page and the purple toned page of more fauna. I enjoy your imagination alot. Can see the fun you have in producing them as well. God job on the Bulbasaur. Really nice render and variation of color within the green tone and excellent coherent detail work. I can see all the good advice in your thread is coming together in your work. Not much advice I can give, as I see what, guys like Meatsworthy, have to say is also information I can use.
    Please, keep up the fun critters sketches. You have a fan here.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael Jaecks- Thanks, buddy! The picture with the dinosaur and the fallen tree was done for EoW a few weeks ago. It was the first successful picture I made using Chuck Wadey's method, or a variant thereof. Instead of putting various objects in their own layers like I used to, I put the linework in one layer, darks in another, mids in another, and highlights in yet another. I really like the results I'm getting with that method.
    AztcFireFlower- Thanks so much for your words. I'm glad you enjoy my critters. Don't worry about not having any crits to give; encouraging words like these are enough!

Well, my computer crashed last Wednesday, but the computer guy spent some time with it and now it's working fine. I'll have some sketch pages scanned in tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, here's the promised sketches. The first image is just some doodles, but I'm happy because I managed to draw some robots that I like. Probably because they're very simple and biomorphic robots. Anyway, I really liked the pair of long legs I drew, but I couldn't think of a suitable body to put atop them, so that's why they're not finished.
    Then there's some skull studies I copied from one of any number of books entitled Artistic Anatomy. This one in particular is a large book written and illustrated by some French guy and translated by Robert Beverly Hale. I need to buy this book, rather than continually recheck it from the school library.

Edit: The red toned paper scanned horribly this time around, for some reason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm participating in the CA.org Christmas gift exchange activity. So, here's a li'l gift box for a certain special someone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was so wrong about the rumble in the jungle pic. haha,

Really like the balbusaur, but the shape of his hade is a bit undefined i think. the source of the blue light is not very consistent. ...

like the riders too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chr- Hey, buddy! Thanks for the crit on the bulbasaur. I hadn't noticed it, but yeah, I did make his head a little squishy, didn't I? Good call.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works!
    You are growing with ever creature as you post, i especially like the re-make of Bulbasaur, great rendering.
    Keep on improving with the darker colors in the edges.
    Thanks for you're comment in my SB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally!!

I'm back!!
    After several weeks of doing little artwork and posting none of it, I have returned to wipe the dust off my old sketchbook. Now that school is over for the semester, and my only distraction is a part time job, I plan to get some serious art done. My goal is to do one creature, one environment, and one technological thing (weapon, robot, vehicle, etc.) per week, all fully rendered. That might not happen for a week or two, since I have to draw Christmas pictures (being the family artist), and it might be too ambitious anyway, but I'm going to try.
    Alrighty then, lets see what I've posted today.
    -Several pages from my life drawing sketchbook. I think I've gotten fairly good at drawing sitting, faceless person-shapes. I intend to keep up with these, but do more buildings and cars and whatnot, as architecture and technology are my biggest weak points.
    -Sketches for the Unique Lovers CoW. As you can see, I had a devil of a time deciding how the creature's head should look.
    -Linework for the Unique Lovers finished picture. I didn't get a chance to finish this in time, on account of schoolwork and my new job, but I intend to do it. My first order of business will be to move the big creature's leg more directly under her, so she doesn't fall over.
    -Yay! More robots that I'm happy with! They were pretty fun to draw, but flippin' time consuming, with all the little components and things. They're still pretty simple; I'll have to work my way up to drawing towering, uber-detailed battle mechs. Also, a toad, a young plant, a shroom, and several sketches for a goblin/elf character. These are sketches for the Christmas picture I'm going to do for my cousin and her husband (my cousin-in-law, I guess you'd say), who are totally in to Brian Froud's faerie artwork. I'm going to have a fairy and the goblin/elf playing cards, with the fairy sitting on the small plant, the goblin sitting on the toad, and the mushroom as their card table. They'll love it. Or else.

Pretty darn soon, as in the next few days, I'm going to take digital photos of all my worthwhile drawings from my life drawing class and post them here. I might have to post them in installments, as uploading a semester's-worth of work would be quite a dump.
    And lastly, and irrelevant little thing I discovered. A while ago, searching for creature reference photos online, I found this: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../1101-0076.jpg. It's a tenrec, a distant relative of hedgehogs and shrews. Compare it to this little fella: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/anime155.jpg. I just thought it was kinda neat to find the real-world inspiration for that creature. That's right, I'm a nerd.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3