Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 32
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: Moai's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the TAD poster, nice and creamy looking and some beautiful colours. Also that solar system thing looks really fun, I might have a go at that myself sometime.

It's interesting to see what tasks you are being given, a very mixed range. Looks like a good way to go as it's very easy to get stuck into patterns which can hinder progress.

Keep it up!

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Halloween!

Mr. Man- Thanks, buddy!

This year, for the first time in many, many years, I donned a Halloween costume. And, unlike most of my previous costumes, I did a bit of customizing on this one. So, I thought it was worth posting in my sketchbook. Doctor Malrubius von Lictor, at your service!

The coat is a regular lab coat that I bloodied up with some acrylic paint. The goggle is a steampunk goggle thing that I cut in half to fit over only one eye. The blood on my face is theatrical blood, plus some liquid latex. I was going to create a raised scar going through my goggled eye, but it seemed that my makeup supplies, and my skill in using them, were insufficient.

Billy the Puppet is my dad. And yes, I went surfing in my costume.

Attached Images Attached Images          

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Schtuff

More TAD stuff!

Name:  cory-monster-dream-5.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  88.9 KB

More work on this.

Name:  cory-6a.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  93.4 KB
    Name:  cory-6b.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  97.7 KB
    Name:  cory-6c.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  85.3 KB

More sketchbook assignments. The above series of drawings was focused on an event in which people gathered.

Name:  cory's-red-stuff-1.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  45.5 KB
    Name:  cory's-red-stuff-2.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  41.7 KB
    Name:  cory-red-b.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  91.5 KB
    Name:  cory-red-c.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  118.6 KB

The first assignment in sketchbook class was to go out and draw something blue. In this most recent assignment, we were to go out and draw something red.

Name:  cory-figure-1.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  60.3 KB
    Name:  cory-figure-2.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  56.9 KB
    Name:  cory-figure-4.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  58.6 KB
    Name:  cory-figure-5.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  65.2 KB
    Name:  cory-figure-6.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  49.8 KB
    Name:  cory-0025-1.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  88.9 KB
    Name:  cory-0025-2.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  71.7 KB
    Name:  cory-0025-4.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  92.6 KB
    Name:  cory-0027-1.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  42.7 KB
    Name:  cory-0027-2.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  49.9 KB
    Name:  cory-0027-3.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  31.0 KB

More figures!

Name:  cory-painterself2.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  92.5 KB

A self portrait in painter.

I'm working on updating this sketchbook somewhat more often.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the TAD work is looking impressive as usual- love the figure studies and theseemingly effortless way you describe form and edges in them.But the composition studies/thumbnails are my favourite of the batch, looks like you're really having fun studying it and improving in leaps in that sense.Hope you'll work more on that underwater dragon-thing, its looking great so far!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very nice updates Moai. TAD is really paying off and I can tell your compositions are getting stronger :3 cheers!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Courts of the Shadow Fey

TheGnoll- Thanks, dude!
    Teapo- Thank you!

So, here's the work I did for Courts of the Shadow Fey. You may remember me talking about a really big illustration job that I was doing in the months of April through June. This is that job.

This work isn't as good as some of the work I've done in the past. For one, the art director wanted it done in a style that I wasn't really experienced and totally comfortable with, which was fun at times and frustrating and awkward at others. There was also the time element; I was obliged to do about two of these per week, which caused a few crunch times for me. But, I prevailed, and I'm pretty proud of what I've done.

There wasn't much time to do concept work to decide the look of the world before having to do the illustrations, so I basically settled on the look and feel of the designs as I went. I think I was mostly successful with that. You can see the repeating shapes and design elements through many of the designs, as well as a couple different factions of characters with their own insignias and looks. What concept work I did I put at the end of this post.

I talked much more at length about these characters, the process, and the successes and difficulties of making them on Deviantart. Check it out if you're interested: link.

Last edited by Moai; November 15th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

KQ Druids

Hey again! Here's some more commissioned work, which I did in late September. These were for issue 15 of Kobold Quarterly, and mark the fourth time I've worked with that magazine.
    The article that these illustrated was about variants of the basic druid class in D&D games. As you may or may not know, the druid is a nature themed generalist/magician type of character, usually very much in tune with animals or other natural forces.

The first character is the bestial druid, which has improved animal-related abilities in comparison to basic druids. He can transform into animals and commune with wildlife better and such. He was totally fun to design and paint, but I see in hindsight that I really should have worked on his gesture a lot more. All of his clothing and accessories are made of animal-derived materials; leather, hide, bone, claws, etc.

The second character is a purist druid. Her class is like a hybrid of the druid and cleric classes. She gains strength from the holy power of a nature deity. She really hates the undead, even more than most people hate the undead. I consider this the most successful of the three.

The last character is a godai druid. He uses the powers of the four elements. Appropriately, I was watching a bunch of Avatar: The Last Airbender when I got this commission. I gave him multicolored armor and clothing to represent the four elements. I consider this the least successful of the three, since areas of the painting, especially on the upper body, are very flat and rather boring. A bit of a rush job, I'm sorry to say.

More stuff soon! Only a few more weeks of the first term of TAD, and then I'll have my usual round of holiday pieces to post after that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ohhh i love the roach people. the illustration is especially badass.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful works brother, the bestiall druid looks great!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another TAD update

Carnifex, Alex- Thanks, dyoods!

So, here's another TAD update. Today is the last day of the first term. Sort of a bittersweet moment for me. I'll be happy to have some more free time, but I also don't want to revert to my lazy, irresponsible, pre-TAD habits. Luckily, I will have plenty of work to do over the break, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Name:  cory-monster-dream-8.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  89.1 KB

More work on this! Needs just a bit more lovin, then it'll be done.

Name:  cory-one-last-mood.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  43.7 KB

Another mood thumbnail. This was our first TAD assignment. I drew this one last more refined one for the final review.

Name:  cory-self-portrait-gray.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  82.7 KB
    Name:  cory-self-portrait-sienna2.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  cory-self-portrait-color2.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  89.8 KB

Jason Manley is teaching us about a simplified old master palette right now, consisting only of burnt sienna, venetian red, yellow ochre, black, and white. In this palette, the grays, blacks, whites, and neutralized colors stand in place of blues and greens. It's an interesting experiment. In this piece, a self portrait, we began in grayscale, slightly high key in value, and then washed some burnt sienna over it in multiply mode and erased away the lights. Afterwards, we went in in an overlay layer to add some colors to the lights. Unfinished, as of yet.

Name:  cory-routine-a.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  380.2 KB
    Name:  cory-8b-1.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  86.3 KB
    Name:  cory-8b-2.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  85.7 KB
    Name:  cory-8c-1.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  82.8 KB
    Name:  cory-8c-2.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  124.9 KB
    Name:  cory-8d-2.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  87.8 KB
    Name:  cory-8d-1.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  88.0 KB

This was the final assignment for sketchbook class. The theme was "a habit that you consider a vice," and I, like the majority of the other students, chose excessive frivolous computer use as my vice. In later portions, we were told to find a piece of artwork to influence our images, so I chose some old pulp covers and made my computer into some sort of robot which has me captured.

Name:  cory-figure-3.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  74.4 KB
    Name:  cory-figure-4.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  80.1 KB

Couple last figures. There are many more of these, but these are the only ones since last time that I really like.

Name:  cory-1-floorplan.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  83.3 KB
    Name:  cory-2-overall.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  85.4 KB
    Name:  cory-3-gallery.jpg
Size:  69.3 KB
    Name:  cory-4-life-drawing.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  91.5 KB
    Name:  cory-5-traditional-media.jpg
Size:  94.4 KB
    Name:  cory-6-digital-media.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  92.9 KB
    Name:  cory-7-prop-closet.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  52.2 KB
    Name:  cory-8-storage-closet.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  49.3 KB
    Name:  cory-9-library-and-cleanup.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  44.5 KB
    Name:  cory-10-lounge.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  47.8 KB

And here is the final big project for perspective class. It's an imagined ideal studio space. I think the notes I included in the images explain everything, so I won't go on about it here.
    I got a bit frustrated with myself in doing these, since I procrastinated and ended up having to work on it for many hours a day over the past two weeks or so. However, the crunch time was actually pretty fun, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

More stuff soon!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    crazy updates moai~ those assignments seem to exercise all the essentials in your overall improvement. i really really like the perspective assignment for the ideal studio ~ ah yes... i want to touch the original works of cornwell... (o.O) LOL

keep on trucking!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

22. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for sharing your progress Moai. You're doing an awesome work. Wonderful, very inspiring!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Raśl.Arbeloa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update. I'm glad to see you are liking TAD a lot, I am currently crossing my fingers and waiting for the final results of Last Teen Standing to see if I win a scholarship there.

Anyways, the ideal studio looks totally awesome. I realize that you are done with it as an assignment, but it would be really cool if you tried turning the drawings into paintings.

But then again everything you do is really cool--I especially like the pen drawing in post 932 and all your creature designs.

Lastly so this isn't just pointless praise, I recommend playing with how you depict different materials more. At this moment everything has the same sort of matte look to it and everything looks like it is the same material. This is especially evident in post 939, in which if you look at say the second image the drapery, hair, skin etc all have the same flat look. A bit of textured brushes and changing the way they interact and reflect light (how specular they are etc) would really help.

Keep up the good work!

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rylee's Adventure IV

Teapo- Thanks!
    Raul.Arbeloa- Thanks so much!
    Andrew Sonea- Thanks so much, man! Turning the perspective drawings into paintings...yeah, that would be a huge undertaking. Certainly more work than I have time for! Thanks for the critique, and good luck on that scholarship!

So, it's that time of year again, and that means another Rylee's Adventure. You may remember the previous ones if you've been watching this sketchbook for a long time. If not, the gist of it is that every Christmas I draw a picture of my cousin's daughter (and her dog) going on a colorful adventure.

I have two ideas I'm mulling over. In the first idea, Rylee has a pair of butterfly wings and is soaring over a green field with a bunch of other butterflies, while Carmine (the dog) runs to keep up. This one will be bright and fun and colorful, and butterflies are an established theme in both previous Rylee's Adventures and in other drawings I've done for my cousin for years. If I choose this one, I'll be choosing between the top middle and top right thumbnails. I can't decide whether I like the horizontal or vertical format better. Suggestions?

The other idea, suggested in large part by my friend Burt (burhtun on CA.org), is this. Rylee and Carmine are in space, with bubbles as space helmets (bubbles were a theme in Rylee's Adventure III, so this also gives some series continuity), looking at stars. The stars would be like floating Christmas ornaments, while there would also be planet-like globe ornaments floating around. The lower thumbs have to do with this idea. This idea may be more interesting than the other, and covers less of the same ground as previous Adventures, but I'm having a much harder time coming up with a satisfactory composition. Again, suggestions would be great!

I'm working on this live on my Livestream channel. You can watch here. I'll be doing it again tonight at 8:30 pm Pacific Time; if you live somewhere else and want to watch, you'll have to do the math.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Cory!
    your latest updates are really massive and are really interesting.You're working so much and improving in leaps!

congrats on the Courts of the Shadow Fey gig, man that looks like some fun work! kudos for making it on time and with good looking results.The drawings are really great-only suggestions i could give would be to exaggerate gesture in preliminary phase to then reach some kind of "compromise", seeing that the inking stage usually "stiffens up" things anyway.Inks are also good but extremely clean.Maybe trying a more "impressionistic" inking style, with more focus on spotted blacks instead of a form-following crosshatching (which is extremely time-consuming) would have been quicker and produced better results regarding the "cold" look some of the illustrations have.Even pushing the line variation could help.

The druids look really cool too! i can see you feel more confident with this technique.I'll quote Andrew on the materials comment and again think the gesture could be pushed.Do you usually work from a photographic pose? maybe working directly on top of a small, rough, exaggerated gestual sketch might again help you reach a better compromise between sketchy freshness and clean painting.

The TAD updates are as usual amazing.The monster dream illo is really turning out one of your best imho, can't wait to see it finished! composition, drawing, paiinting, everything is looking great.All the rest of the studies look good and.damn, that would be an awesome studio!

Loving the whole idea and thumbnails for Rylee's Adventures.My personal fab is the top middle thumbnail.The ones in space have such a central, "iconic" composition they look too much like tarots or a religious icon for my taste.
    Regardless if you're interested or not in all this nitpicking, i'm trying to show all my respect and interst in all this work you're pumping out, so again, as usual, great work, and keep doing what you're doing!

and happy holidays too!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A long overdue update, pt. 1

TheGnoll- Hey, Ryan! Thanks so much for your comments and critiques. You always seem to get to the heart of the matter, and it's always appreciated. Your critique of my Shadow Fey stuff, especially, is spot on. The finals often did get super stiff, and I really do which I would have gone with a looser style. Likewise, your critique and suggestions about the druids are very accurate and useful. Thanks again!

So, since my last update, about two months ago, I've finished the first semester of TAD, finished a portrait commission, accepted another commission similar in style and scope to the Shadow Fey job (from the same art director, too), attended the three week TAD workshop in Austin, and started the second semester of TAD. The three week workshop was awesome! More on that later, with photos. I have a ton of stuff to post here and in all my other online art posting places, so I'm rationing out my efforts. I'll post some today, and some more each day for the next several days. In the end, I'll have a hundred or more new images posted here.

This is going to be a not really exciting sketchbook update. I have another sketchbook to scan that's about half full. Ooh boy, won't scanning and uploading that be fun.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My god sir, these updates are great. Your works have improved & improved & improved constantly. Amazing.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

34. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Sketches

Donalfall- Thanks so much, man!

More sketches! All of these are from Christmas or later. The first couple of images are of the Green Bastard, who you may remember, and his brothers, drawn in the manner of Mike Mignola. Very very fun.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More.

And the uploader is pissing me off, so fuck the categories.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm spreading this out over so many posts because I don't want to take the chance of the uploader spontaneously deleting all of my attachments. It already did that once.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah ha! I am very happy now! your new work is phenomonal, and it is great to see you branching out a bit and experimenting with some humans... I should do some more of the same my self! XD

as usual, I am very impressed by your creatures, s that the head of a Harpax I spy spewing text in the corner of one of those pages? I greatly enjoy the creature on the last page of updates begining with the green bastard, and I am highly impressed by the rendering technique on the red robed purpelish biped from the first new update. might I ask what media you used to get that effect?

all right, well, I shall sit here and marvel for a while, and I cannot express enough how awesome these are!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to zypherax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much, Zypherax! Those are some very nice compliments. I've actually been drawing humans for quite a while now, though. That is indeed a Harpax! I was inspired by Povorot's recent alien barfight comic, and wanted to give him some stylized speech bubbles filled with alien letters. The robed alien was done in pencil, then pen, then gouache, then a little bit more pen.

Here's the latest version of the flying monster pic, and Rylee's Adventure IV. I really didn't like working in the later stages of the monster pic, both because I didn't start it out well (I was pretty much cleaning up the beginning mess the whole time, rather than having the image naturally grow), and I was stressed out by the TAD finals. More could be done with it, but I've moved on.
    Same with Rylee's Adventure. It wasn't a pain in the ass to paint like the other one, but I could have used a few more days to fine tune the colors, which I don't quite like. However, Christmas came, and I had to send it out. I'd edit it, but that would mean that my relatives don't have the final version of it, so I won't.

Even more painting stuff coming soon!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice man! I think you could have pushed that subsurface scattering a bit more on the butterfly wings on the second one, but all and all nice paintings dude! Some simple things like more irregular shapes on the seaweed type things and additional layering in the tonal striping on your monster piece could add a bit of flair without reworking it a whole lot. Just spicing in smaller shapes here and there, blah blah you get zeh point. Keep it up dude! I love all the sketches of what looks to be done when you were at the workshop. Cheers! and see you in class.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, I am sorry, I meant that it was interesting to see your stylized approach to portriats with pen, that seem to be studies based off of actual people... I do not recall seeing those from you earlier...

but, my memory is quite faulty, so I may have... ah, regardless I see you finished the tad painting there, I commend you for perservering even though you do not seem to particularily care for the piece! XD

48. The Following User Says Thank You to zypherax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to pop in here and say that you are doing some lovely work! Keep it up!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkCelebration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Moai!
    i love your work, especially that perspective assignment for tad! that made me excited hehe, i would love a studio like this haha! looks great, glad you can score orginal works by frazetta and cornwell for that
    ill stop by more to check out all your work!
    hopefully we'll be classmates next semester if i get a scholarship
    will be back for next update
    /ryanoir

52. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    >951 !!

54. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterStryke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook, really enjoyable looking through - I learnt a lot too!

56. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

lord_regenschirm is offline Brought up in the ancient arts of mouse-painting :D Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey moai I'm actually back from the dead ^_^ thanks first of all for you loud cry for an update on my sketchbook ... really appretiated that kind of attention I posted some stuff of what I did for the company I was working for for the last 2 years ... if you are still online you're invited to check it out btw love the sketches in front of your pc also the room concepts afterwards ...

No skill still isn't a new side.
    ~ Arnold Böcklin

Visit my sketchbook-gallery kinda thing ...

58. The Following User Says Thank You to lord_regenschirm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! No time for posting art or replies at the moment, but I wanted to let everyone know that I'll be livestreaming tonight, starting six hours from the time of this post, and then probably again tomorrow night. Here's the link: http://www.livestream.com/moaiart. Hope to see you there!

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3