Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 31
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahhhh man TAD TAD TAD TAD TAD TAD. I just got my class links for going full time rather then part time. Gotta get cracking on those fechin studies and the SB stuff. Really digging those beach scene drawings and the frazetta mastercopy. Cheers man, hardworking people.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coool dude. Those drawings came out great! keep up the good work!

Phil L.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to phizpietl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your master studies and figure drawings came out great, keep up the good work

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    FFFFFFFFUUU~ those are awesome updates Moai! Very proud of you and it seems like you're breaking into a whole lot of different mediums. Frazetta copy is awesome as well as the master study for light. Waiting for more~ :3

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TAD and misc. sketches (pt. I)

Metal Fingers- Yeah, it's exciting, isn't it? Glad you joined too! Thanks for your regular visits!
    Phizzy Phil- Thanks, man!
    zwarrior- Thank you!
    teapo- Thanks very much! Yeah, trying a lot of new things already.

So, here is my second round of TAD images, plus some unrelated me-time sketches for fun. I went up to Washington state for about a week, so I'm scrambling to catch up with all that I missed.

Composition and Color Theory

Name:  cory trego-erdner tad poster refined.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  89.9 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner tad poster mockup.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  86.1 KB

Working more on my TAD poster design. The pencil drawing was very fun to do, but I had to redesign it a bit in photoshop to accommodate all the text and information that must be included on it, plus add some more values.

Sketchbook

Name:  cory-ste-blue-final.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  50.0 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-blue-experimentati.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  48.2 KB

Here are some later sketches relating to my earlier beach sketches. I had to draw a larger final image from imagination with me in the scene, and then experiment with some other media.

Name:  cory-ste-architecture-2.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  40.9 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-architecture-1.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  32.5 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-architecture-3.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  61.1 KB

The next sketchbook assignment was to draw a building that was at least two stories tall. The first image is some houses up in Washington. The second is an apartment building across a field from my Grandma's house in Santa Maria. The third is the Pismo Beach Hotel here in...Pismo Beach! I still need to do some thumbnails from imagination relating to these sketches.

Light and Form

Name:  cory trego-erdner prudhon 2 step 1.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  14.8 KB
    Name:  cory trego-erdner prudhon 2 step 2.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  27.9 KB

Another master study of Prudhon. I've made some more progress on this, and I've drawn a few other things for this class, but it's too dark to take photographs now.

Media

Name:  cory trego-erdner dad after fechin.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  90.9 KB
    Name:  daddyo.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  34.4 KB

A portrait of my dear old dad, in the manner of Nicolai Fechin. Plus, the reference photo.

Perspective

Name:  cory-ste-cubes-1.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  17.5 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-cubes-2.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  5.7 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-cubes-3.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  20.5 KB

Cube practice! Really exciting stuff. I have another project that I've done for this class, but, again, no photos!

Misc. Sketches

Name:  262--farm-animals.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  33.4 KB
    Name:  263--farm-animals-2.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  32.7 KB
    Name:  264--farm-3.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  30.6 KB
    Name:  265--farm-animals-4.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  28.2 KB
    Name:  266--farm-animals-5.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  31.0 KB

Some sketches from a local farm.

Name:  267--mall-sketches-1.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  61.4 KB
    Name:  268--mall-sketches-2.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  62.8 KB
    Name:  269--mall-sketches-3.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  72.9 KB

And some mall sketches.

Name:  270--show-sketches-1.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  45.7 KB
    Name:  271--show-sketches-2.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  50.9 KB

...and some sketches from a friend's art show opening...

Name:  272--beach-sketches1.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  45.0 KB
    Name:  274--beach-sketches-2.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  53.9 KB

...and some beach sketches...

Name:  273--museum.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  52.8 KB

...and some museum sketches...and a goofy dog.

Name:  275--alien-shaman.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  112.0 KB
    Name:  276--alien-ogre.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  148.2 KB

The above two creatures were extraordinarily fun to draw. I see the first creature as some sort of medicine man, while the second creature is the ogre/hill giant version of the first.

Name:  277--lamassu.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  103.4 KB

The above sketch is my current favorite thing I've ever drawn. This guy was actually born in my head a few weeks ago, while the "Portal Guardian" CoW was still up and running. I was walking through Home Depot, and spotted some orchids, and thought that their flowers would work excellently as a creature's head. I came up with a body to go with that head, and figured out a way to make it appropriate to the CoW topic. However, I was doing freelance at the time, so I didn't have time to draw anything for it. I did write a description, though. I've pasted it below. This guy was hugely fun to draw.

The (long) description:

Dear Mr. Londour,

I am pleased to hear from you so soon after your promotion to prime subdirector of Division 18. Please accept my hearty congratulations. I don't know if you remember, but you and I actually met briefly at the last agency retreat. I was quite surprised by how direct you were in addressing the devision directors--people at your level are often maddenlingly obsequious--but apparently the Archdirectress found your suggestions for handling the Pestilentian and Neohominid uprisings quite useful. Therefore it does not surprise me that you are rising so quickly through the ranks.

You may have noticed that Division 18 is more or less the catch-all for the agency's less easily categorized operations. I have been here for thirty five years and I am still surprised by some of the things we have on file. It is perfectly understandable that you would require some clarification on some of our odder current operations.

First, you specifically asked about Operation 125b-38, Codename Operation Lamassu. I must confess that this is one of our Devision's operations that holds the greatest fascination for me. You know of course that during the Strife of the Unraveling, many of the harder-hit worlds were severely depopulated, with their peoples now reduced to Iron Age level technology, or worse. The Empress--Ahura bless her!--has made it clear that we are not to interfere with these worlds, and let their peoples fail or progress on their own efforts. She feels that we will learn more by observing the slow advancement of these primitivized peoples than by uplifting them to our level of technology, though we could of course do that easily.

New Mesopotamia is one of these worlds, but its situation is complicated by the fact that there remains a functioning Planck gateway on the world. Since the empress has decreed that there must be no contact between us and primitivized peoples, we were given the task of preventing people from traveling through the Gateway. Disabling Planck gateways is notoriously risky, given the spacetime curvatures involved, so rather than attempt that we installed a demibiological guardian on New Mesopotamia to kill anyone who approached the gateway.

The guardian and gateway occupy a central position in the pagan religions that have developed on this world. Read this account of it from one of their sacred texts, which we viewed via nanodrone. "The Guardian of Heaven, called the Behemoth by some, is the greatest and most fearful of all beasts. It is five manheights tall, and the pillars of its legs are greater and stronger than the greatest tree, and can crush anything that stands before it. Even more fearful than its legs are its arms, which are heavier and swifter by far than the greatest smith's hammer. The Guardian of Heaven's belly holds enough liquid fire to fill a sea, and it spits this curious flowing fire with an accuracy unmatched by any archer. Its skin is no harder than rough leather to the touch of a hand, yet bends and breaks any sword swung at it. The Guardian was placed here to prevent mortals from entering the realm of the gods before their time."

Fascinating, isn't it? It is remarkably accurate in spots as well. It is likely that memory of the Strife and the Early Empire survives in their mythology. Anyway, the Guardian, as they call it, is a demibiological organism designed by Samad Theoni; if you recognize the name, it is because Sammad also designed the infamous Andean Basilisk. The beast is an absolute work of art, cobbled together from the genomes of hundreds of different organisms. I've attached both an overview and a detailed account of its genotype, as well as its other specifications. It is mostly organic, but contains an internal safe-fission plant that powers its biological processes; it does not need to eat. The plant is refueled periodically via a very small mobile Planck gateway within the creature itself. Likewise, it's "flowing flame" weapon, actually a napalm derivative, is also refueled via an internal Planck gate, so that it never runs out of ammo. The fission plant also powers the Guardian's stopfield, which lies flush with its dermis, and renders it invulnerable to any attack with a force of less than a megaton. It will be quite a while before the New Mesopotamians will be able to vanquish the Guardian and enter "heaven!"

Thank you and congratulations once again. If you require additonal clarification on Operation 125b-38, or any of Division 18's ongoing operations, please don't hesitate to ask. I look forward to working with you.
    Humble servant of the Agency, the Archdirectress, and the Empress, may she live a thousand years.

Name:  278--goombas.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  46.5 KB

Finally, some redesigned goombas from Super Mario Bros. I'm slowly working out a science fiction redesign of the Mario universe. The mushroom people from a few pages back were part of this same project.

Well, I think this post is sufficiently gargantuan. That'll do for now.

Last edited by Moai; August 10th, 2010 at 12:11 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    orchid behemoth - fukken saved! enthralling.
    heh,and the goombas make me smile

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw man more Moaitastic epicness, i'm really lovin those ink creature sketches

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Me,Myself & Me again For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr poPcoRN For This Useful Post:

Barcelona, Spain.. for the moment.. who knows what morning might bring
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff!!!! i'm so jealous you're in TAD!!!!! oh darn you!!!! lol

great work, you're improvement is so visible...
    tell us abou the TAD experience!!!!

i'll keep an eye out for more post... great to have found this sketchbook..

cheers

ps. if you lower your dad's left eye a bit you can get that mysterious look he's got... food for thought....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BANDD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, these last few updates are really really impressive!
    looks like you're really taking all you can from the TAD experience, and thats great.I see improvement all over the place! No crits whatsoever, just an asspat from me too.Keep doing whatever it is you're doing, cause its working great! last orchidhead behemoth is especially cool.
    Rock on dude!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, that orchid face creature! All I can say really!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai! It's been donkeys since I last posted in your sketchbook!
    You've come along way thats for sure!
    The orchid creature is just epic, it has great posture design and everything! You can tell that all the different bits and pieces you have learned are starting to slot into place, how very exciting!

I'm really looking forward to seeing where the TAD takes you. Keeping my eye on you

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More TAD

Carnifex- Thanks, dude! By the way, are you on Facebook?
    Kieran- Thankee! I'm enjoying those myself.
    Dr. Popcorn- Thank you!
    BANDD- Thanks so much! You're absolutely right about my dad's eye. Tell you about the TAD experience? Well, okay. See below.
    TheGnoll- Thanks so much, my friend!
    Alex- Thank you, sir!
    Mr. Man- Well, look who it is! It's been a while, dude! Awesome to hear from you again, and thanks for the comment!

Composition

Name:  cory trego-erdner poster redo 2.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  87.8 KB
    Name:  cory trego-erdner fadeaway vignette.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  11.2 KB
    Name:  cory trego-erdner soft vignette.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  9.9 KB
    Name:  corytego-erdner breakaway vignette.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  14.9 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-vignette-1.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  72.6 KB

More TAD poster work (started over with a fresh design), and some rough compositional figures.

Sketchbook

Name:  cory-3b.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  59.5 KB
    Name:  cory-3C.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  91.5 KB

Some more sketchbook pages from the building assignment. This portion of the assignment was to do a view from the second story window of the building.

Name:  cory-empathy-A.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  71.9 KB

The theme for this assignment was empathy. You were supposed to draw a subject that an audience could feel sympathy for. I saw this woman in a nearby town. She was dressed rather eccentrically, with scarves and a shawl, but was too clean to be a homeless person. However, all she did was stand there with her disposable camera in her hands and a bewildered look on her face, so there was obviously something going on. I knew I'd found my subject. I still have several more sketches that I need to do in this series (thumbnails, an imagined composition, etc.)

Name:  cory-microcosm-A.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  98.6 KB
    Name:  cory-microcosm-B.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  107.6 KB
    Name:  cory-microcosm-creature 1.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  90.2 KB
    Name:  cory-microcosm-creature 2.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  64.5 KB

Now this is a fun assignment. The subject for this series is "Microcosm." We were to look around us for tiny ecosystems and lifeforms to study; anthills, bugs in the yard, aquariums, etc. I chose a tidepool with a dead crab in it (and a smaller live crab). We were to do some initial observational drawings, and then some imaginative thumbnails. For the thumbnails, we were to compose and arrange our subjects in order to tell some sort of story or make some sort of point. For mine, I got this "fallen giant" idea, with the smaller live crab peering cautiously at the larger dead crab like a villager looking at a dead giant. I still have to do a larger drawing based on one of these thumbnails.
    For the last two drawings, our assignment was to design a creature, character, or vehicle that could function in our environment. This was really fun! I'm going to do more on this assignment.

Light and Form

As you'll see we do a lot of work in this class! If anyone's thinking of just attending one part time class in TAD, I'd recommend light and form with Dorien Iten. This is prehaps the most fundamental of all the classes we're taking, and really teaches you how to see accurately.

Name:  cory-ste-memory-drawing-1.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  16.0 KB

One of our assignments was to draw some shapes and height/width lines on a piece of tracing paper, hang it one room, and then draw them from memory in another room, going back and forth to refine your memory and observations. At the end, you put the tracing paper over your drawings to see how accurate you were. This is an extraordinarily useful exercise, and I recommend it to anyone.

Name:  cory-s-t-e-construct-1.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  10.9 KB
    Name:  cory-s-t-e-construct-2.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  20.1 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-construct-1.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  47.4 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-construct-2.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  49.5 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-construct-3.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  48.9 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-construct-4.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  55.9 KB

A bunch of observational drawings brought to the construct stage. The construct stage of a drawing is when you have all the major shapes and angles drawn, though in a very simplified, straight-line fashion.

Name:  cory-ste-articulation-steps.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  59.4 KB

Above is a drawing brought to the construct and then to the articulation stage, which is the final stage of measuring and drawing lines before actually beginning to render light and shade.

Name:  cory-trego-erdner-1.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  18.1 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner-2.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  28.9 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner-3.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  31.2 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner-4.jpg
Views: 876

In contrast to many of the other drawings, for this exercise we simply tried to make an accurate study as quickly as possible. Five, ten, and fifteen minute poses, I think.

Name:  cory-trego-erdner-blockin.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  56.3 KB

Another construct. I'm going to do a full on dozens-of-hours cast drawing of this ear soon. Oh boy!

Name:  cory-speed-memory-thingy.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  12.2 KB

This is a construct from memory, the next stage of those abstract memory exercises above.

Name:  cory-trego-erdner-value-sca.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  34.0 KB

Nine step value scales in graphite and charcoal. These will be our aides in the upcoming cast drawings.

Name:  cory's-memory-articulation.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  34.0 KB

The ear again, also from memory, but this time brought to the more specific articulation stage.

Name:  cory's-sphere.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  17.2 KB

One of the points Dorian has made is that you begin a drawing with shape, which is flat, but the last stages are about form, which is three dimensional (or at least presents that illusion). This sphere is our first exercise for that part of the process.

Continued in the next post!

Last edited by Moai; September 1st, 2010 at 09:04 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TAD 2

Figure Drawing

Name:  cory-ste-004-2.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  22.0 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-004-4.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  49.6 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-004-6.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  54.8 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-008-7.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  29.9 KB
    Name:  cory-ste-008-9.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  34.4 KB
    Name:  cory trego-erdner- 7.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner-10-3.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  78.3 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner-10-5.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  67.4 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner-10-6.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  72.0 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner-0011-5.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  64.2 KB
    Name:  cory-trego-erdner-12-5.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  131.0 KB
    Name:  cory-0013-1.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  58.8 KB
    Name:  cory-0013-2.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  59.2 KB

Here are some of the figures that I thought were worth posting. I've done at least three times this many.

Media

Name:  cory-trego-erdner-daddy.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  131.9 KB

Another charcoal portrait of my dear old dad. This could use some more work, if I find the time.

Name:  cory-trego-erdner-jones-stu.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  88.1 KB

Now that we have charcoal out of the way in media class, we're tackling ink. Here's a Jeffrey Catherine Jones study. Next, an original piece in ink.

Perspective

Name:  cory-trego-erdner-proximity.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  41.7 KB

One of the main points in Marshall Vandruff's perspective class that we've learned so far has to do with lenses and what they imply about your proximity to the object you're drawing. Above is my ukulele viewed from far away with a telephoto lens, making all lines parallel and the forms rather flattened. Below is a close up view with a wide angle. Parallel lines converge very obviously, and there may even be some distortion.

Name:  cory-trego-erdner-kontrapti.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  81.3 KB

Testing out our mastery of right-angled objects by drawing a cube with many shapes cut into it and extruding out of it. This was fun!

Name:  cory-studio.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  88.5 KB

The assignment we're going to be working on for the next long while is an ideal studio. This is an overhead plan view. We're going to be drawing several elevations and three quarter views in perspective.

Now...

The TAD Experience

So BANDD up there asked me to describe the TAD experience. I could use a few words to describe it, but at the moment the word I'd use would be intense. You have three classes a day (one on Friday), each with their own lectures and critiques to listen to and assignments to complete. The school moves fast, and it can be difficult to catch up if you slack off for any length of time or if you miss a week. I did the latter, and for a while it felt like I was trying to climb a wall that kept on getting built higher. Don't underestimate this school, and don't sign up for it lightly; it will make you work. In the first few weeks, I often wondered what I had gotten myself into. But I am learning to love it. My fellow students are a good bunch, and the teachers are the best I've had. I can feel the learning happening, feel the way I see things changing. It's fantastic.

Any more questions about TAD, just ask me. But, that's it for now.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just checking on this thread for a link to a friend's sketchbook, and it says that there are 120 users viewing it.

Holy. Shit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your creature designs are pretty cool! I would love the TAD experience man.. I'm happy for you. Keep up the good work!

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

31. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rad stuff man, rad stuff.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works friendito! AWESOME AWESOME STUDIES. YOU will be totally great in time. Can't wait to see where you go after all of this =)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome drawings i see a lot of improvement , dont stop .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

37. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, this stuff you've been working on looks great.Looks like the instructors are really good!
    I second what magic man says, can't wait to see how you put your post TAD skills to use.Massive improvement in such short time, and looks like you're having a blast too
    Can't wait for the next updates

39. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    LOVING how you are explaining each exercise. really gives me some tips on how to study. thanks so much for logging everything, it's very encouraging and exciting to see you progress. the figures look great!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for this sketch book, I am bookmarking it now. I will have to come back and read every post in depth. Thank you for all of this great information!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to BenjaminL For This Useful Post:

Barcelona, Spain.. for the moment.. who knows what morning might bring
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update!!!!! made my morning )
    thank you so much for keeping track of everything and posting, i know it's very time consuming...
    thank you also for the TAD info ) can i make more questions??? pretty please??? ) LOL

are you attending POD? how many hours are you putting into these classes? how's the teacher student relationship? just wondering cuz i am thinking on moving to amsterdam and hopefully be able to handle a job and study at the POD (if mr. bank is ok with it ;P )

i'm so jealous... but good jealous congratz on everything!!! great improvement!!! i'll be waiting for more post!!! great stuff!!!!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to BANDD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for these great posts. You are hard working and it's so inspiring to see your drawings. Thanks too for the TAD stuff, and all the information about it. Quit interesting to see what happen there!

I can do so little in so much time!

.)~ Sketchbook ~(o | Deviantart | Pixiv | dreamanime.de

You feel frustrated and don't know where to turn this frustration on? No problem here is your salvation!
    Just critique me in my critique thread and let it all out, please *bow*!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaus Reinbach III For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome works ,study from you ,keep up bro!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to LAL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

October's TAD Update

poetry man- Thank you! TAD is a great experience, and I do recommend it.
    Alex Konstad- Thanks, dude!
    Magic Man- Thank you so much! That means a hell of a lot coming from you.
    raminafshari- Thanks!
    TheGnoll- Thanks, bud!
    MattGamer- Thanks! Yeah, I always like sharing some of my thoughts and purposes when I post images.
    BenjaminL- Thanks!
    BANDD- Thank you! No, I'm not attending a pod (though I'm considering joining the Southern California Pod that Marshall Vandruff will be heading). With very little exception, the teacher student relationship is great. The classes aren't very large, so all the teachers know pretty much all the students by name. It's a very friendly place.
    Klaus Reinbach III- Thanks!
    LAL- Thank you!

Wow, it's been a long time since my last update. That's partly because CA's uploading system is a tedious pain in the ass, and I know that the longer I wait the more I'll have to upload, making me postpone it longer.

But, without further adieu, art.

COMPOSITION AND COLOR THEORY

Name:  cory trego-erdner poster redo 8.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  91.8 KB

Finally finished my TAD poster.

Name:  cory-gutter-kid-2.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  88.9 KB
    Name:  cory-refugee-vignette-wip3.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  89.2 KB

Some vignettes.

Name:  cory-dreamsloss-thumbs1.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  82.8 KB
    Name:  cory-flying-dream.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  cory-monster-dream-3.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  80.7 KB
    Name:  cory-nightmare-2.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  26.1 KB

This is the current composition class assignment. We're working on illustrations of the theme of dreams or loss, going through various stages of loose and tighter thumbnails.

Sketchbook

Name:  cory-4b2.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  74.7 KB
    Name:  cory-4C-D.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  136.2 KB
    Name:  cory-4d.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  104.3 KB

More sketches from the microcosm assignment.

Name:  cory-scale.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  61.1 KB
    Name:  cory-5b.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  44.0 KB
    Name:  cory-5c.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  68.1 KB
    Name:  cory-5d.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  91.0 KB

The subject of this assignment was Scale. We had to find a big object and a small object, both unrelated to each other, and then in the thumbnailing process try to get them to relate to each other somehow (and making things interesting by switching the scales of the two objects).

LIGHT AND FORM

Name:  cory-relight-4.jpg
Size:  55.1 KB

For this exercise, we relit a model of a head in photoshop. The idea was to create a convincing lighting situation that was different from the original reference, paying special attention to what direction the light source was coming from.

Name:  cory-big-form-modeling3.jpg
Size:  80.6 KB

This was a big form modeling exercise. The idea with big form isn't to capture detail, but to capture the general shape of the form (how light or dark it is, how round it is, etc). The lights are simplified, while the shadows are reduced to a single value.

Name:  cory-alfred-von-bugman-2.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  92.0 KB

Here we practice rendering an imagined form. On the left (I think; I flipped the image a few times) is the big form modeling, and on the right is the medium form modeling, which deals with smaller and more specific forms, and allows for some value variation in the shadows.

More soon!

Last edited by Moai; October 21st, 2010 at 12:47 AM.

51. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting all this awesome stuff! It's really inspiring and helpful.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    your tad poster is really cool!!

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    damn interesting to see everytime

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertical, Krato, Carnifex- Thanks, guys!

Here's the other half of my TAD update.

Figure Drawing

Name:  cory-15-4.jpg
Views: 1778
    Name:  cory-figure-1.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  90.0 KB
    Name:  cory-figure-3.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  80.6 KB
    Name:  cory-figure-4.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  83.7 KB
    Name:  cory-20-1.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  91.9 KB
    Name:  cory-20-2.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  95.1 KB
    Name:  cory-20-3.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  93.6 KB
    Name:  cory-20-4.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  104.1 KB

Media 1

Name:  cory thumbs 1.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  76.8 KB
    Name:  cory thumbs 2.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  69.8 KB
    Name:  cory thumbs 3.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  40.1 KB
    Name:  cory--through the haunted wastes.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  236.9 KB

This was a super fun assignment! The objective was to create an original piece in ink. You can see my ideation process, and my "final." I put that in quotes because there are still modifications I'd like to make before I truly put this one away.

Name:  cory-the-helcaraxe-system.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  77.3 KB

So, after inks, we've started learning about digital painting from none other than the great Android Jones himself! One of his first assignments was to create a solar system using brushes, patterns, and papers that we ourselves created.

Perspective

Name:  cory-ellipses.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  52.1 KB
    Name:  cory-sphere.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  55.4 KB

In perspective class, we've moved beyond boxes and into ellipses, though as you can see boxes still play an important role in finding ellipses in perspective. There is something so serene and satisfying about perspective drawing; it's pure problem solving.

Name:  cory-draws-more-cubes.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  46.7 KB

More cubes.

Name:  cory-simplifies-his-toilet.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  28.3 KB

A simplified object.

Name:  cory's-stairs.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  74.2 KB

Stairs, in correct perspective!

I have some personal and professional work to post as well, but that'll have to wait for another time.

59. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3