Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey man thanks for your comment, i thought i might aswell drop by your sketchbook.

I really like your creatures, they are really far out and show that you have a good imagination. Your life-studies are very good aswell. You should try shading rougher so it pops out more.

cheers

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the compliment, Lazy! I love to hear things like that. And by shading rougher I assume you mean more contrast, which is something I worked on in my subsequent drawing class. I may post my work from that class as well, whenever I pull it out and take some pictures.

PS- I tried to visit your sketchbook and it took me to a page that apparently I'm not authorized to view.

Thanks
    Hey no problem, noticed now that my links were broken except page 3 in my sig.
    So give it another shot if you would like too

Thanks
    Very nice work here. I especially liked the still lifes (and I'm afraid I have no critique of them). You have a very obvious talent.

I think I would like to see you try to do a landscape in pencil, I think that might challenge you and also make possibly the best thing on the page - so how about you try that?

If I had any critique it would be that your color work is not as impressive as your pencil work. My advice? Add more small precise details and "render" more.

Thanks
    Oh boy, an assignment! Sure, I'll do a landscape in pencil, void. That would definitely be a challenge. Any landscapes I've done I've enjoyed, but they've mostly been little doodles.
    My colors aren't as impressive because I've only been doing them for about a year and a half, while I've been drawing since I was six. It's definitely something I need to work on, along with broadening my subject matter.
    I assume with the precise details and rendering you were talking about my pearl monkey. I got scolded over in the CoW forums for how I did that piece. In my defence, it was my first complete digital piece ever, and I did it with a mouse. I also did it in a single afternoon. But, excuses excuses, I definitely need to be more careful and patient. Thank you very much for your compliments.
    I just started my first project in 2D design today and I'll draw my first nude person tonight, so I'll have some more work to post soon.

Thanks

Thanks
    Happy birthday, it's mine also!

Solid sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanks, Dindon! Happy birthday to you, too! It shows just how big this site is that there's about 30-40 birthdays a day. Boy, two years from now I'll be able to have a beer on my birthday.
    I'm glad you think my sketchbook is solid. I'm a little more harsh on myself. I know I'm a solid creature artist, but when it comes to landscapes, architecture, and technological things, I'm very intimidated.
    I'm into my third week of life drawing. I've done about fifty in-class figure studies so far, most of them five minutes or less, and 10 quickie life sketches a day. It's funny, because I'm always one of the best artists in the classes I take, but here I'm just another face in the crowd.
    I think I may have just found my first artistic employment. My friend and his dad are starting a clothing company, and they want me to design for them. I'm pretty excited about that!
    More stuff coming soon, I promise.

Thanks

Mini Dump and First Commission!

Hey, peeps. I've been neglecting my sketchbook, so here's a bit of an update.

Bermuda Triangle CoW sketches. A final picture never came to pass.
    Moai's SketchbookMoai's Sketchbook

A page of sketches for the Highly Explosive CoW, which I did manage to enter.
    Moai's Sketchbook

The sub-final and final versions. Look how spermy the sub final is!
    Moai's Sketchbook
    Moai's Sketchbook

And the non-genetically-engineered version of the above.
    Moai's Sketchbook

My cousin's birthday present. A somewhat androgynous faerie, drawn mostly without reference. It's a fearie, so gender and anatomy can be blurred, a bit.
    Moai's Sketchbook

Here are a few of my favorite things I've drawn in a while. They're creatures I saw in my kneaded eraser. It's always great fun to draw from the random forms of a kneaded eraser. When I was a child, I'd often draw things I saw in clouds or trees. It's just how my brain works.
    The second guy is wearing some sort of hat, I think.
    Moai's SketchbookMoai's Sketchbook

And the first assignment of my first official design job! It was a fairly strange assignment, actually. They wanted me to draw a tree shaped like a question mark, with an apple as the dot of the question mark, and the word "live" spelled out in the branches.
    Moai's Sketchbook

Samples of my life drawings will come soon, I promise!
    Last edited by Moai; September 2nd, 2006 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Your weak point seems to be color. You might consider setting up some simple still-lives and doing quick paintings from them to catch your color usage up with your drawing level.

Bit of a Wayne Douglas Barlowe fan, are you?
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Did you read me say somewhere that I was a Wayne Barlowe fan, or is his influence that evident in my work? Either way, yes I am.
    Anyway, painting some simple still lives is exactly what I'm planning to do when I get my tablet.
    Thanks for stopping by, and double thanks for leaving a comment.

Thanks

Sketch Dump

As I was looking through one of my sketchbooks for some CoW inspiration today, I realized, "Garsh! There's some decent sketchbook pages here that I haven't posted yet!" So, here they are.

An assassin and some dragons. The dragon in the box turned into an oil painting, which I won't show until it's finished...whenever that is.
    Moai's Sketchbook

A page of spur of the moment sketches inspired by looking through Dreckster's sketchbook (http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50275)
    Moai's Sketchbook

Some creatures.
    Moai's Sketchbook

Some ideas for the Scary but Harmless CoW and the original sketch for my Pearl Finder. For the Scary but Harmless, I imagined a huge but very gentle bear/dog and a creature that made you gasp, until you realized you were looking at a magnafied image of a very tiny creature.
    Moai's Sketchbook

A page of Bermuda Triangle CoW sketches.
    Moai's Sketchbook

A page of Creek Crawler sketches.
    Moai's Sketchbook

And here's four sample pages from my life drawing sketchbook. These are all one minute or less per drawing.
    Moai's Sketchbook
    Moai's Sketchbook
    Moai's Sketchbook
    Moai's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey Moai, cool stuff in your sb!! I wish I could draw creatures like you. I liked your life sketches in here. Keep postin more stuff!!

Thanks
    Thanks, gmags! Creature drawing has been my passion for the past...oh, thirteen years. Glad you liked my stuff, and more will definitely come soon!

PS- If you want to see some really good creature artists, browse through the Creature of the Week threads. It's my usual haunt, when I'm around here.
    Last edited by Moai; September 3rd, 2006 at 11:50 PM.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.