Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 27
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Burhtun- Thanks, man. I agree with your assessment of the colors in that painting.
    HunterKiller- Thanks! That's actually my least favorite color scheme that we used. I only used it 'cause I had to!
    Carnifex- Thanks, dude!
    Angelo Cordon- I'm in the general area.
    Fighting Seraph- Thanks! The audience will get more! I hope to get around and do some landscapes, and I'll be taking a brief figure painting class again in the spring.
    Janos- Thank you!
    Turbosnail- Thanks!
    Me,Myself,&MeAgain- Thanks, buddy!

So, I have another alien. This one's sort of an alien samurai. Her weapons are made of wood, modified to be extremely hard, and tribal markings are dyed onto her scarf and etched into her mandibles. She's appearing in a short story I'm currently writing. I'll post a link to that when it's done.

And, since it's Christmastime, it's time for Rylee and her dog to go on another adventure. For the past two years I've painted my cousins daughter and dog going on an adventure. Molly the guinea pig, the newest addition to the family, is also making her first appearance here. You may remember the last one of these I did; it's back there in this thread somewhere.
    Rylee's face is probably the most challenging subject that I paint. Now that she's done, the rest of the painting will be much easier.

Edit: Well, that was a little obnoxious. My attached images disappeared. Let's see if they stick this time.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Christmas Pictures, pt. 1

An obese Santa-Shark for my dad, and some sketches for my Grandma and Aunt of their old dog and many cats. The cats and dog are drawn from memory. Some of these sketches are fairly lousy, but I like enough of them to make it worth a post.
    The power was off here for about 24 hours. I couldn't remember when I'd last saved Rylee's adventure, so I was worried that I might have lost a few hours of work. Turns out I'd saved it before the power went out. It's a good thing pressing ctrl+S becomes a reflex for us digital artists! I'll post that when I finish it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Holidays Corey!!

Btw, love the last creature concept

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey moai. Your paintings looks great! I really adore your lines, looks very cool, so simple. Though when it comes to shading you could use some darker tones on areas that is closer to viewer. And you could use more reflections on the form too. That would give more 3d look to the form. Hope you dont mind my Christmas critique. Keep it up and happy holidays!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai,

Thanks for the wishes, Happy holidays to you to!

I really like the pencils, esp. the shark santa.

Edit: I had to come back to tell you how much I like the cover you did. I dont know the mag, but it looks awesome. Will there be more covers from your hand?

Last edited by Supervlieg; December 26th, 2009 at 09:32 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Supervlieg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, happy holidays to you too!

you already know what i think of that illustration you did (awesome) and that life drawing post you did in the previous page is really interesting.Diggin' the latest alien samurai, but most of all, those cats n dog sketches! they really catch the gesture altho they look so simple, did you do a previous sketch or were they done directly in ink?

rock on!
    ciao

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the 2 kitty cats that look like boobs in a push up bra, especially the left one. such economy of line.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGoJojo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quike- Thanks, man!
    P- Thank you very much for the Christmas critique! It was a good gift.
    Supervlieg- Hey, dude! Thank you. That was actually an interior illustration. I've completed another illustration for Kobold Quarterly, which will be in the next issue (maybe January?), and the AD has expressed his hope that I'll be available for the issue after that!
    The Gnoll- Thanks, dude! I did sketch out the masses of the dogs and cats before dashing in those quick lines.
    GoGoJojo- Hah! Thank you!

So, here we have the final version of Rylee's third Adventure, and a four-hour environment for one of my many personal projects. I'll see if it feels like it needs to be polished up a bit more tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @.@ aww sweet i love the last one you need to revisit that someday when your better (then you are now of course) and push it even further!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    love that last one! really nice feel and colours,though the little figure needs a shadow yet

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy new year mate,
    and a happy late christmas as well, better late than never

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Me,Myself & Me again For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As always king among critters for sure, but landscapes like the one in 710 soothes my soul like few others.

& I always feel your work has a certain warmth and joy that I really find welcoming, thanks for giving us this, and keep going, one piece at a time

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Isle of the Lost

Krato- Thanks! I usually don't revisit pieces; new ideas are too tempting.
    Carnifex- Thank you! My idea was that the landscape and the figure were already in shadow. You might be right, though. I don't know how strong of an effect that pink light source is having on the rest of the landscape.
    Me,Myself,&MeAgain- Thanks, dude!
    Dan Liimata- Thanks so much, man! I'm really enjoying getting into enviros, so that's great to hear.

Here's another environment, and a description to go along with it. I'm not entirely satisfied with this one--I feel I got into the details too quickly, and the shapes don't quite match what I had in mind--but oh well. There are many more floating islands in this world of mine, and the next one will be better.

The Cataclysm happened when we met God.

Probably not the God, as described in the Bible, or any of the other myriad deities of human legend. This being was utterly, profoundly alien, indifferent and amoral. It lived in a universe that consisted of a single point of space, wielding infinite power in its infinitesimal realm. When human science broke through the boundaries between the universes, it spread like a lightspeed contagion through our universe. Indivisible with its own tiny universe, it likewise knitted itself into the fabric of our universe. Having spent an eternity knowing nothing but its own thoughts, it could not possibly understand that others lived in this universe. Other lives, other minds. Embodying its own universe, and now also ours, it was delighted and fascinated with all of its new thoughts and parts, and it played.

This was the Cataclysm. The extent of the destruction is unknown. Was it only Earth that was transformed? The solar system? The galaxy? The entire universe? There is know way to know.

All that is known is that Earth, human civilization, and the human species itself, has been utterly transformed. What was once orderly and logical is now surreal fantasy. The seas and continents are gone, leaving only a scattering of floating rocks and islands buoyed over an ocean of clouds and air known as the Ether.

Like the atmosphere of a gas giant, the Ether grows thicker and more volatile in its lower depths, and is inhospitable to human life. It is unknown what, if anything, lies beneath those poisonous clouds. Above the thicker layers of Ether is a relatively clear layer of air similar to the atmospheric conditions of Earth.

The majority of the floating islands reside in this habitable layer of air. Winds and air currents give most of the islands a continuous supply of water. It is a strange and unforgiving world, but not inhospitable to life. Earthly plants and animals, including humans, live on the rugged surfaces of the islands. Like their world, these lifeforms have been transformed in strange and often hellish ways by the Cataclysm.

The Isle of the Lost is one of the more fortunate floating islands. It is mostly intact, whereas many of the other islands have fractured into miniature asteroid fields. Its inhabited top surface is mostly flat, making travel easy, and has broad grassy valleys for agriculture. Its conical shape is stably buoyed by the Ether underneath it, so its residents to not live in fear of their home rolling over to find a new equilibrium. It is also the most remote of the known islands, and is mostly left alone by the tyrannical power that has taken over most of the other known islands.

Like the other islands, the vast mass of the Isle of the Lost is honeycombed with passages and caverns, both excavated and naturally formed. Living deep in the caverns lurk the strangest creatures and societies of the post-Cataclysm world. Digging through the rock of the islands is a risky proposition; moving too much mass or altering its internal structure can destabilize it, causing it to fracture or tumble into a new position of equilibrium. Digging is strictly monitored and controlled. Most structures are made of wood; buildings made from stone, the stuff of the island itself, are reserved for the elite. Erosion from wind and water is a very serious long term concern.

There is one other thing that distinguishes the Isle of the Lost. Deep inside one of its mountains lurks the machine called Deus Ex Machina, the sentient supercomputer that enabled scientists to break through the boundaries of the universe in the first place. It, and the being it holds preserved in its hibernation tanks, are this world's only hope for redemption.

Here's a link to my DeviantArt folder that has all of the pieces related to this project: link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, I've started a blog for my various music projects. I play the guitar and ukulele, and write music for both. Sort of heavy metal meets video game background music in flavor. Probably not to everyone's taste or interest, but it's another of my creative pursuits, so I thought I'd share a link anyway.

http://moaimusic.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Green Aura

The first guy is the protagonist of an imaginary game project of mine, which I started around six years ago and have been working on sporadically ever since. He's a transformed version of this guy.
    Next, hopefully, we have an animation of him transforming between his various forms, and an animation of the progression of my floating island piece. I say hopefully, because these images often don't animate once they go through CA's uploader.

By damn, it worked.

Last edited by Moai; January 18th, 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look forward to your animation! if animated bitmap dont work, please try video upload!
    the dog and cat sketches are a joy to look at. the pose of the dog in the finish work seems a bit stif in relation to the lively sketches.

for your info, the character animation and process for the flaoting island seems to be working fine!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to zenichi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must have missed the crazy creature in #783. That thing is all kinds of cool. Your control of shapes have gotten much better in your environment pieces lately. It's inspiring to look at

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is so impressive. I love all your designs and the life drawings to...*jaw drops*

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Inishmore For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ah,but even if the landscape is in shadow already,i think a little, diffused shadow will add that last touch of realism.
    like the animation on the landscape...for some reason,the first stages remind me of the game populus 3

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates Cory. Really like the dog & cat sketches!! Keep up the good work my friend :>)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbosnail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skaderro

zenichi- Thank you! I struggle finding poses for my more involved paintings, sometimes.
    Nightblue- I haven't posted that alien in my DA gallery yet because I haven't yet finished a story for it. That's why you haven't seen it. Thanks!
    Irishmore- Thanks so much!
    Carnifex- Good point on the shadow. Thanks for visiting!
    Turbosnail- Thank you!

I'll be out of the house for the weekend (as I am usually every weekend), so I thought I'd post my currrent WIP. It's my first successful piece involving buildings are architecture, I think. It's an enviro from the same world as my "Devil Sea" piece. I've also included the Sketchup shots I used as a base for the painting, and the original sketches of the individual buildings.
    Sort of empty now, but there will be people, decorations, animals, and other things populating this little town soon enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love that beach environment piece. Sweet mood and lighting. Would like to see that worked on some more!

How do you like google sketchup? I think I downloaded that a long time ago and ended up just staring at the user interface, lol. I'd like to see some textures overlayed on that piece too! I think it's a cool start, but it's a bit hard to see where this is going. Looking forward to your progress!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

38. The Following User Says Thank You to angelo cordon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Epic sketchbook man! Lots of learning going on, and trying new territories. I'm really liking the otherworldy ecosystems you create, they're more convincing in their naturalism than most other creature artists!

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Earthborn

Angelo Cordon- Thanks, man! Sketchup is extremely useful for hard-edged forms in perspective, but it is horribly, horribly limited in many ways. I only use it as a base. The Massive Black guys seem to be able to do great things with it, though.
    I think it's a cool start, but it's a bit hard to see where this is going.
    How so? Rest assured, I have a very clear idea of where I'm going with this one.
    Sammy- Holy shit, it's Sammy! Thanks so much for the kind words!

So, no updates on any past projects in this post. I got another freelance gig (a really fun one!), so that's taking up my attention. And then, I'll be working on some portfolio pieces for submitting to the Art Department, though there are many questions I need to ask before committing myself to that path.

So, all I have to post now is another deity drawing. I drew most of this about a month ago, and finished it off, scanned it, and polished it up this morning. This will probably be all, for a while.

Also, I started taking another figure drawing class this week. I'll be posting my drawings from that every so often.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    Angelo Cordon- Thanks, man! Sketchup is extremely useful for hard-edged forms in perspective, but it is horribly, horribly limited in many ways. I only use it as a base. The Massive Black guys seem to be able to do great things with it, though.

How so? Rest assured, I have a very clear idea of where I'm going with this one.
    Hey man -

Sorry, didn't read the whole post. I was going to point out that it was looking very empty and lacked the characteristics of a culture of whatever or wherever it is. But, it's not finished yet, so I take it back! ha, silly me

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

43. The Following User Says Thank You to angelo cordon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely handwork

Now seriously, I really like this last deity reminds me of Lovecraft and his non-euclidean geometry

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angelo- No problem, dude!
    Quike Garcia- Everyone seems to like the hands on that one! Thanks, man.

So, my freelance job is done, and I'm now doing some fun, low-impact doodling. Here are eight varieties of mushroom people, for your enjoyment. I may refine this more, or I may not. This may be the beginning of a new project, or it may just be a one-off. If it is the beginning of the project, the project is going to be a "remix" of an already-existing (and very well known) fictional world. Guess what it is, if you want to. If I draw anything more on it, it should become obvious fairly quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    mushroom characters!!! so cool
    thanks for the inspiration
    have a good one
    -Jamie

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nominate Me!

Thank you, Omerta!

No art this post, just a request. As you may know, in this thread, you can nominate members of the CA community for scholarships for the TAD program. At the moment, the only way I can afford this program is with a scholarship. So, if you feel I deserve it, please nominate me!

Thanks so much, you beautiful people. I hope me directly asking for a nomination isn't a turnoff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    Thanks so much, you beautiful people. I hope me directly asking for a nomination isn't a turnoff.
    ew, gross :p

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

51. The Following User Says Thank You to angelo cordon For This Useful Post:

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3