Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 19
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Moai's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nothng bt love for this sketchbook.I have no idea of what life changing experience you've had, but i love this stuff to bit.Clever design, very, very, very cool sketches, studies and creatures.Nothing useful to say at all, sorry

keep sharing! 5*

ciao

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did I mention that this is one hell of an inspiring sketchbook? Thanks for the inspiration man.

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Whistler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome! ^.^

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Me,Myself & Me again For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your creatures are looking superb!! That mermaid piece is awesome, great colour, I like the sharpness of your image, something i struggle with (probably because i keep using soft airbrushes ) I've started my first year Illustration and Animation course, exciting stuff! How was the summer?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amer-nazri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oalexis- Thank you. I like that color scheme too, but it just doesn't fit what I have in mind for this creature.
    Camara- Thanks, buddy! You're doing some good work yourself, man.
    theGnoll- Thanks!
    The Whistler- Thank you and your welcome.
    Me, Myself, and Me Again- Thanks!
    amer-nazri- Good to see you around again. My summer was okay. I spent too much time being unmotivated and unproductive, though. But I'm trying to make up for that now. Good luck in school! Remember, your success in education depends on how much effort you put in.

So, here's my cockatrice as it is now. As I often do, I had some false starts in trying to paint it. Things are going good now, though. I think I'm going to try some photo texture overlays in addition to the textures I'm painting.
    The small painting on the upper right is sort of a "color control." I cooled, darkened, and otherwise messed with the colors on the main creature, so I have the little guy up in the corner in case I need to color pick my original colors.
    The background is a placeholder. The creature's head is supposed to be at a bit of an angle, but I need to adjust the lighting and details a bit more to make that clearer.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good i'm curious to see what your false starts look like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Oalexis. My false starts are the last two images below. I probably could have made them work, but I've learned in previous paintings that if something is too hard or just refuses to look good, that's a sign that you should start again and approach it from a new direction. The colors weren't working for me in my false starts, and I was trying to render using this guy's technique. Carlo Arellano does very efficient and effective renderings by placing simple brushstrokes and well-chosen texture overlays underneath loose linework. I've learned my lesson before that trying to emulate the style of more skilled artists than I usually just frustrates me, but apparently I needed a reminder. Carlo Arellano is so skilled and efficient that he makes the images in his blog, which are probably little more than sketches, seem like fully polished, finished pieces. Plus, combining linework and painting in my digital images isn't something I'm very comfortable with; I never know how much to say with lines and how much to say with brush strokes.
    Anywho, I am practicing with textures on this image, both hand painted and from photos. I'm very happy with how it's coming out. The second image is at 100% zoom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i could see why you'd want to emulate that guy, his sketches are amazing! your job is coming along famously tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed.
    that link you posted is amazing/inspiring. bookmarked. thanks!

Keep it up moai! can't wait to see that latest creature completely rendered. love his head detail btw (prior to your new color lay over)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maoi, love the new critter! I know you crunch on anatomy, and it definitely shows. Coloring is blowin' me away, also.

I do have a suggestion, though- the angle of the joint in the back leg contradicts the one in the foreground. I know the pose is slightly different in this example, but I hope it helps pin-point the perspective issue. : )

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sway West For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cockatrice

dkounios- Thanks, man. That's actually an old color layover that I threw away.
    Sway West- Thank you for the critique. I see what you mean, but the angles of the joints are really only very slightly off. The farther leg is stepping forward a bit, so its joints are in a different position than the shorter leg. The tibial portion of the farther leg is at a more vertical angle, which is why the ankle joint of the farther leg is lower than the ankle joint of the nearer leg.

But anyways, here's what is probably the final version. I redrew and repainted the hand and wings, but they aren't very different from how they were before, so it's not that obvious. I was having a hard time trying to paint the earlier version. Don't really remember why.
    The textures on the feet and tail are painted, the textures on the legs from photos. I painted and repainted the nearer foot a few times, then painted the farther foot and really liked it, and so had to paint the closer foot again to match it. They're the best feet I've painted yet, I think. The background is very half-assed, but that's okay.
    All in all, I think this is my most successful digital rendering ever. I tried a bunch of new textures and techniques, and I'm happy with how they turned out. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.

Pseudocognition is offline The crazy chick who watches you while you sleep. You drool, ya know. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks intense, man. I do love successful learning experiences. And now, to look through to rest of this fabulous sb

+1 Fan for moai!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pseudocognition For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The structure of the skin is somewhre little bit monotone (espacially the legs).
    But the head....omg its brilliant.
    And your studies tell me a lot about your development. Keep at it. You took the drift of evolution. =)

" The first draft of everything is shit."
    (Ernest Hemingway)

Watch my sketchbook!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bazzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pseudocognition- Thanks!
    bazzu- Thank you very much. I'll see what I can do about the texture on the legs.

Well, I'm taking a figure drawing class again. Here's my work that I've photographed so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a smallish sketchbook update, and another figure drawing.
    I have many more sketchbook pages and figure drawings to show you. However, the sketchbook pages are in my big sketchbook that I can't scan, and the photos of them I took today were too murky to bother posting. I'll photograph them again later, in better light. I need to photograph my figure drawings as well.

Name:  143--boxblanky.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  269.1 KB

An enjoyable and successful study of a blanket draped over a cardboard box.

Name:  144--rockpractice.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  254.4 KB

With that small epiphany I had a while ago while studying rocks, I decided to make up some rocky forms of my own. It was fun, but in hindsight I can see that I need much more practice.

Name:  145--notverygoodpractice.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  172.9 KB

I tried to do a still life, and I though because this one is relatively simple that it would be easy. However, I didn't take into account the fact that it is made up entirely of ellipses! Yikes! That was tough. And some not very good robot sketches.

Name:  146--weirdos.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  279.2 KB

Some more interesting faces from my celebrity look alike book. Also, some alien beings. I don't know what the lower one is, but the one with the tentacles is a concept I've had in my mind for a bit. It's a column-shaped entity, topped by a small triangular hood that covers its sensing organs. I'm not sure about the shape of its mouth. It has four limbs at the base of its body. The first segment of these limbs is fairly rigid and is used as a leg, while the second segment is far longer and more flexible and is used as a manipulator organ. The knobby, calloused "elbow" functions as the foot. I imagine it as kind of a desaturated blue in color. The finer points of its design, such as the specific shapes of its features and its markings, are still up for redesigning.

Name:  147--blue-steel.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  210.5 KB

Some supermodel guy from my celebrity look-alike book giving us his best Blue Steel (or is it Magnum?), some crustaceans, and a moderately successful study of a blanket thrown over some stuff.

Name:  148--ulik.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  382.4 KB

An Ulik, an alien species from the science ficton novel, Midnight at the Well of Souls, by Jack L. Chalkner. Also, an invented carnivoran skull.

Name:  149--mr-stretch.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  252.4 KB

I've been studying musculature quite a bit lately, and I decided to play around with my new knowledge with this weird being. It's flawed, but it was still very fun to draw. Also, some attempts at some insect-like designs.

Name:  100_0844.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  211.7 KB

Another figure drawing. I'm fairly happy with it, except that the hand is a bit too tarantula-like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice updates!!
    so you've been busy reading a lot of books these days,eh?
    i like a lot the final versions of the sonagama and the cockatrice, and is always very interesting to read the detailed concepts you write about your creatures.
    it's always inspiring to look at your sketchbook, you should publish a big artbook someday, you already have a 1st class bestiary here, hehe..

Keep Up The Hard Work man!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mkshden!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai,

Thanks for stopping in! Yes, life get's in the way and we gotta listen to it's insistent demands. I've been catching up on your thread as much as I can. It's good to see those awesome, incredibly kiute kritters. I didn't realize how much I missed exploring your inventions.
    And cruising thru your travelogue was cool. Thanks for posting images of the workshop. By the way, Kevin Chen is my current teacher. Yep, I believe he is on a par with Loomis and Bridgeman. He knows how to invent realistic figures with ease. I've learned loads in his class. He and Steve Huston are my new heroes, in addition to Glen Orbik and Mark Westermoe and Eric Gist and..........
    Well Moai, I gotta say, you'll never be a human anatomy drawing shmoe. More intensity than any studies I've ever done.
    How do you keep all the stuff in?
    Love the last landshark. Am enjoying the work you put in the mermaid w fishies piece. Read a critique from someone else, and can agree with some of it, but as a learning experience in completing this pic, I think it is a fine job on the textures and lighting. And there is a really nice depth to it. Feels like a full ocean to me. Some issues with the figure, but your next one will be leaps away in terms of applying what you learned.
    Love the ocean fish aliens.

Kay. Small critique. I've noticed in a few drawings, but maybe you've corrected for it: Make sure you give enough room above the forehead, as below. Remember the eyes are approximately on the horizontal mid line of the head. From your latest life work, I don't see this problem. Just making sure.
    I like the caricatures, too.
    In your life drawings you display your understanding of solid form. Not just strong line work, but nice consideration to the roundness of the forms. Some of Kevin's info is showing through!
    This last figure feels very solid! Hands are it's own animal, but not bad. I think you're doing great. Let's see some more.

Gotta mention, that your critters and the effort to learn is very inspiring to me.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, Aztec! It's great to hear form an old friend again. I'll have a full response to you, as well as many more figure drawings to post, this evening.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Markeshi- Oh, I'm always reading a lot of books. I've just felt more like drawing from them and talking about them these days. Anyway, I'd love to publish a book someday. Perhaps the definitive reference book for creature design. Artistic animal anatomy books typically only deal with a few times of mammals, basically ignoring reptiles, birds, amphibians, fish, arthropods, mollusks, annelids, and the myriad other types of animals that are out there. Maybe one day.
    AztcFireFlower- Once again, thank you for stopping by. You always take your time to make some thoughtful comments. So, Keven Chen is your teacher, huh? Are you going to his concept design academy, or does he teach somewhere else? Anyway, I'm not surprised that you're learning loads from him. I learned loads from him, and I only listened to him talk for a few hours!
    As for how I keep in all that anatomy stuff I learn, there's several things. First, when I'm studying from a book, I tend to study only one part of the body at a time. That way I'm not overwhelmed by the whole thine. Second, I've learned to try to really learn what I study. You've seen all my Bridgman studies earlier in this sketchbook. Well, I've forgotten most of what I got out of those. I was going too fast, and just mindlessly copying. Nowadays I'm going a lot slower and really trying to absorb this information, and often filling up the page with notes in the process. Third, all the information I learn in these studies is constantly reinforced by later studies I do and by drawing from the figure.
    What issues do you see in the figure of my last mermaid, just out of curiosity?
    Thanks again for the comments and critiques! Here's some more of my studies and life drawings for you.

Name:  150--gestures-1.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  127.3 KB
    Name:  151--hand-and-gestures.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  229.3 KB

School sketches. Gesture drawings of some other students, and a drawing of my hand with cross-contour lines. I was looking at Bridgman while drawing my hand, to make it more dynamic.

Name:  152--capturing-space.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  178.5 KB

The teacher said something about trying to capture space in a drawing, so my friend and I came up with this interpretation.

Name:  153--back-muscles.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  301.7 KB
    Name:  154--abdominal-muscles.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  293.4 KB
    Name:  155--scapular-muscles.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  302.7 KB

Detailed muscle studies from Richer's anatomy book. I highly recommend this book. It is the best book on artistic anatomy, in my opinion. It teaches the subject in more detail than you'll ever need to know. Wrote down a lot of notes.

Name:  156--pass-the-joint,-man.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  264.3 KB

Some studies of joints.

Name:  157--skullz,-with-a-Z.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  199.3 KB
    Name:  158--pectoral-2.jpg
Size:  257.8 KB
    Name:  159--pectoral-thorax.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  196.6 KB
    Name:  160--bonez,-also-with-a-Z.jpg
Size:  135.5 KB
    Name:  161--mr.-krulwich-eats-a-banana.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  277.4 KB

My mentoring thread has been picking up activity again lately, so I decided to refresh myself on some animal skeletal anatomy. I mixed in some primitive synapsids and reptilomorphs along with the typical mammals. The guy exclaiming that he eats a banana needs some explanation. Last year (this sketch is pretty old), I took a biology class, and I had to watch an online video of a reporter by the name of Robert Krulwich interviewing some scientist about the human genome. One snippet of their discussion, paraphrased: Scientist: "You know, the humans share about 57% of their DNA with a banana." Krulwich: "A banana? I eat a banana!" I thought it was humorous.

Name:  100_0884.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  164.9 KB

This is the drawing I'm working on currently in my figure drawing class. It's a long portrait of an older woman. She has a great face, and I'm enjoying it.

Name:  100_0885.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  364.0 KB

A fairly long pose in pencil.

Name:  100_0886.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  197.6 KB

Charcoal. I don't think this one is very good.

Name:  100_0888.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  201.8 KB

Extended gesture in various types of charcoal. My anatomy studies are helping a lot.

The following are all gestures in conte. I think AztcFireFlower's influence is strongly evident in some of them. Some were quite successful, som less so.

Name:  100_0890.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  244.2 KB
    Name:  100_0891.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  195.5 KB
    Name:  100_0893.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  321.7 KB
    I'm happier with the figure on the left than I am with any other figure that I've drawn. Ever. All of these gestures were really fun, though.
    Name:  100_0894.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  337.1 KB
    Name:  100_0895.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  290.5 KB
    Name:  100_0896.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  331.8 KB
    Name:  100_0898.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  251.4 KB
    Name:  100_0899.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  451.7 KB
    Name:  100_0900.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  295.6 KB
    I like the left figure on this one, too.

That's it for now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai
    I am taking Kevin's class at his Concept Design Academy. All the classes I need in one location. HooYahh!!! He also teaches the best character design class I've ever taken. I plan on a second round at some point. He has a thorough system of presenting the body in phases. And explaining how to describe form as a concept. His system is perfect for figure invention, my next challenge. Glad you had a chance to check out his workshop.
    Your system of study is one I've employed many times. In class I write notes on my drawings with arrows after a critique or advise. Helps to connect the correction to the concept he explained. I notice that writing down the info sets it into the brain better, even if I never revisit that note again. I do alot of writing in his class. Your method makes sense. A bit ata time, also.
    Well, what I see on the mermaid are small tweaks. I enjoy looking at this painting, but a few things bother me. Her neck looks a little strained and straight up, while her head is at a tilt. I think her neck needed to follow the tilt of the head which would help it appear to be connected directly on top of the neck.
    On the torso, her belly button is facing us, but the shading on the hips is describing a turn slightly to our left. Perhaps because there is no corresponding shade on her other hip, it feels this way. Her lower body (where her legs would have been) by indication of the light and shadows is facing more towards our right. So...the turning of the body doesn't feel logical. But, it seems it is more a matter of tweaking the shadows that you used to describe the forms to tell us how her body is twisting, even if slightly. It needs to be a little clearer what's going on.
    The left hand needs a better explanation of the turning of the top of the hand as well as where the fingers are connected. You may have just left it at this stage because of wanting to move on? Considering how far you've gone, it would be well to address the anatomy even if color and value are unsolved before you leave it, because it's a really nice painting. I like the colors, softness and gentle feel of the piece. The textures and occasional variation of scale color are some of the things that make this painting interesting. I think it's a fine piece for your portfolio. Make more!
    And your figure work is coming along. Flattered on the AFF "influence" but I think it's all your training and methodical processing showing thru, especially in the long portrait of the older woman. VERY nice! The drawings where you have the time to really define the figure are standing out. When I QS I aim for different analysis in each session.
    Am curious what you are attacking in the quick sketches. Can tell you are procesing something.
    Keep at it!

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AztcFireFlower- Thanks again for all the great advice! I'll definitely look over my mermaid again and try to fix what you mentioned. Now that a few months have gone by and I'm not sick of looking at it, I think it'd be a good time for me to go back in and polish a few areas that I admittedly did not paint to the best of my ability.
    Despite your modesty, there really is a bit of your influence in those gesture drawings. You always describe the figure very cleanly and simply in your drawings, and that's something I was trying to go for here. And, I believe you've said some words about trying to capture the longest curves before doing anything else. That's another thing I was trying to go for.

So, here's a little something new that I wrestled with for a few hours today. I've been wanting to get into doing environments for some time now, and I think I'm finally comfortable enough with the idea to start actually doing it. So, since I've been thinking about and sketching rock forms lately, a rocky canyon scene was a natural choice. This began as one of a number of small thumbnails in my sketchbook, and except for the obvious addition of color, the composition really hasn't changed.
    This painting had a somewhat chaotic beginning. I've been looking at and admiring other digital enviros for some time now, and I really like the gritty, energetic textures they achieve. So, I knew my standard method using a plain, round photoshop brush just wasn't going to cut it. So, I flipped the texture and dual brush switches at random and started painting. I made quite a mess.
    So, after a few hours of cleaning up that mess, and gradually finding what seem to be the right colors and values, here's what it looks like. Still a WIP. I've been in one of my periods where painting is frustrating me (that's why it took so long for me to finish the Cockatrice), but this piece is going in the right direction and I'm enjoying it, so that's good.

I finished my portrait of the older woman, and have filled in a few more pages in my sketchbooks, but that's an update for another day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update on that environment. I'm having a lot of fun painting this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Moai..you know I love you from the start
    I'm also bard....had to stop the studies and looked for work:{
    It's great to see all these and your animals is one of the best I've seen. So there's no doubt your human studies will be exceptional the way you think and how thorough you study a certain subject.
    AH... Love Aztc..learned again reading her crits. Wonderful you two are communicating because you guys are my heroes in human and animal construction

34. The Following User Says Thank You to meduza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great going with all the studies Moai. I personally really like that last rock environment and the loose rock studies. Inspiring stuff to dig into as well, rocks are fascinating because of there forms and history.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitevillage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meduza- Bard? Hey, I was wonder what happened to you! Nice to see you again, pal. Thanks for the comments!
    Whitevillage- Yes, rocks are fascinating. Very difficult, though. I find all those intersecting planes difficult. That's why all the rocks I draw are more rounded.

Here's an update of the canyon enviro. I lessened the area of light falling on the cliff face at the right, and stretched the river over to the left a bit to help the composition. I'm not sure if I did the right thing in reducing the lit area; I mostly just did it because drawing all those rocky textures when they aren't obscured by shadow is too hard. I also think that the sense of space could be improved. Any help on this would be fantastic!

Also, here's the final version of that portrait of the older woman. I'm very happy with how this came out, and it was a lot of fun to draw.
    I also did a drawing where we toned the paper down with charcoal and then added lights and darks with an eraser and compressed charcoal. I don't like that technique, though, and I don't think what I produced is worth posting. So, it'll be a few more days before I post some more figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! Your dedication is so inspiring. I particularly enjoy your creature designs and how much knowledge of anatomy you put on them. They rock.

Keep posting!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to luness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Luness- Thanks! Since I admire your own work so much, that's really great to hear.

So, I did some sketching on Open Canvas with my creature design mentees last week. It was a lot of fun. Here's a page of sketches that I did that day.
    I'm painting a larger, more detailed version of the axe-frog guy from the first image. I've been working on him all morning, struggling with false starts as I always do. So, I started over again about an hour ago, and now I'm treating him more like a charcoal drawing. So, I'm just studying the values and cast shadows now. It's a lot easier to think about these things when I don't have to worry about color, edges, or all those other painty things. I'd even call it relaxing. This is just the beginning of this image. There's a lot more work to be done!
    As far as concepts go, he's a highly-evolved frog from tens of millions of years in the future. All other land vertebrates have died out, somehow, and the frogs are taking over.
    Any crits on this, or my recent canyon landscape, would be awesome!

Pseudocognition is offline The crazy chick who watches you while you sleep. You drool, ya know. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The canyon enviro is stunning, very tranquil, yet the high contrast between light and dark gives it an interesting edge. The last critter on your latest post is very charming The narrowness of his head balances out how big it is compared to his body.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Pseudocognition For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

An Overdue Update

Pseudocognition- Thanks very much! I enjoyed your SB. I have some more work I want to do on that environment.

I have a lot of stuff to post, so here goes.

So first off, here's the state of my axe-frog creature design. It took way more work and frustration than is appropriate to get it to this state, and it still needs more work to be complete. Whether I will actually do that work remains to be seen.

Name:  moai--lagobatrachus-save4.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  385.1 KB

Looking through some of my old art, I came across a sketch I did in preparation for the Yellow Bloodsucker CoW. I didn't use this design, but it caught my eye, so I decided to have another go at it. I sketched away at it, then copied a layer and changed it to color dodge, which you can see in the second image. I really liked the sense of light this gave me, but it was harder than hell to actually paint with such hot, high-contrast colors. So, I desaturated it, and now I'm working in grayscale. WIP, obviously.

Name:  moai-sucker-1.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  moai-sucker-2.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  228.5 KB
    Name:  moai-sucker-3.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  326.5 KB

Here's a small update on my cockatrice. All I did was darken the lower part of its body. Admittedly, I did this to obscure the repetitive textures and lazy painting of that area.

Name:  cory-trego-erdner--cockatri.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  251.4 KB

Remember the painting I did of my cousin's daughter riding her dog through a field of dandelions? Well, I'm doing a sequel. The six-month old baby of the last painting is now a busy, curly-haired child of a year and a half. Still very WIPish, and will probably change much before I'm through. The environment is based on a forest I walked through here in Oregon, full of logs, moss, and ferns. Very inspiring place.

Name:  moai-rylee's-adv-2-save1.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  210.2 KB

A long time ago I compiled a numbered list of all of the major groups of animals on Earth, living or extinct. Using a random-number generator I found online, I'd randomly match up numbers to see if interesting creature combinations came of it. This is one, a wildebeest-weasel. I just used that as a starting point, and went my own way with the designs. The image isn't very impressive, and has an annoying blank corner, but I'm posting it because I like the designs anyway.

Name:  wildeboodles.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  62.8 KB

The fella below needs a little bit of an explanation. At the Seattle Workshop, some peeps started a thunderdome, and the topic was "octopussy." The entries, somewhat predictably, were various combinations of felines, cephalopods, and vaginas. I didn't participate in that thunderdome, but a little while ago I started thinking about what I would have drawn if I had. I thought of a creature mostly feline in body form, but having the beak and bulbous head of an octopus. As a drew, the concept changed. Instead of some fantastical combination of mollusk and carnivoran, it became an intelligent creature of an alternate evolutionary timeline. Its tail, not its front feet, evolved into its primary manipulative appendage. If you want to see how much of a geek I am about speculative evolution, check out the complete write up I did for this on Deviantart: linky.
    This drawing was also an opportunity to play with powdered graphite, which is messy but very fun. Sketch, then digital color.

Name:  gyrrll.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  183.4 KB
    Name:  gyrrll-colored.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  379.3 KB

Up next is a bunch of scans from one of my sketchbooks. I'll comment on them as needed. You'll see in some of these sketches that I'm working on my architecture skills again. In case you're thinking, "I wonder if architecture is a pain in Moai's ass," the answer is yes.

You can see the thumbnail that led to my canyon painting on this page.
    Name:  162--canyonlands.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  304.8 KB
    Name:  163--bugs-n-engines.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  167.9 KB

I took an art history class this last semester, and in some very early Aegean art centaurs were depicted not as the body of a horse with a man's upper body emerging from where the neck would be, but as a full-bodied many with what appears to be the hindquarters of a horse emerging from his ass. Silly, but I liked the shapes, which inspired this odd little unicorn-type animal. The proportions are ridiculous and implausible, but I like 'em anyway!
    Name:  164--unicorns.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  237.4 KB
    Name:  165--bugs-i-tell-you.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  194.9 KB
    Name:  166--not-an-architect.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  199.5 KB

Here are some sketches for the sequel to "Rylee's Adventure." Both Rylee and the dog are very hard to draw, perhaps because I'm so personally attached to them, so this is a challenge.
    Name:  167--nice-shrooms.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  196.5 KB
    Name:  168--rylee-and-carmine.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  206.2 KB
    Name:  169--rylee-and-huts.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  207.8 KB
    Name:  170--primitive-is-easier.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  233.7 KB

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3