Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 17
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the notes and photos dude, really helpful stuff! I completely get your frustration, I feel the same with most things. I think that when I learn the fundamentals of painting, in terms of values and colour, everything I try to paint will eventually look satisfactory. Its just a matter of learning and revisiting the parts. For me research is so important before beginning to do anything, what I do is just copy and paste loads of references, play around with composition an such, even though I feel the urge to get right in there and paint. Hope you recover from your funk soon, because I'll need my fix of work. Anyways, your life drawings are sweet, as usual. That mermaid looks pretty awesome too. Looking forward to more!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jorge Gecov- Thanks!
    Yautja- Thank you as well.
    ab4185- Sorry, no creatures this update! I feel a few waiting to be drawn, though. Thank you.
    amer-nazri- Thanks, man. I think what also might be contributing to my funk is simple impatience. I learned from the mermaid and also from an oil painting I did in class the other day that I often enjoy paintings a lot more when they're in the finishing stages, because they're finally starting to look pretty. But then, on other paintings I love setting it up, but I get tired of polishing every thing up. Just need to learn to work through it all, I guess.

Anyway, to my sketchgroupies, I am so sorry for not commenting in any of your sketchbooks. I've been doing a lot of schoolwork, and the time I've spent on the forums has mostly been spent on critiquing my mentees. I'm going to go through all of your sketchbooks within the next few days. I promise!

Anyway, the images.
    Name:  92--skull.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  335.2 KB
    Name:  93--scapula.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  515.5 KB
    Name:  94--humerus.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  462.5 KB
    I've recently read through a bit of Robert Beverly Hale's Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters again. I highly recommend this book; every time you open it you'll get a new and useful bit of information, ideas for subjects to study, and other little goodies. My knowledge of the human figure improved perceptibly simply reading through it.
    Anyway, Robert Beverly Hale stresses studying the figure in all of its details from the inside out. Learn all the bones, and then learn all of the muscles that go over them. So, between my art classes at school, I take the plastic skeleton and draw it. I've done the skull, scapula, and humerus so far. It makes me excited to know how much I'm learning through these exercises. I mean, two days ago I was as ignorant as the next schmoe about the subtleties of the humerus, but now I am its master.

Name:  95--skeletons.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  260.2 KB
    Name:  96--neckback.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  374.5 KB
    Name:  97--goodguy.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  199.0 KB
    Name:  98--bones2.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  178.7 KB
    Name:  100--backguys.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  521.2 KB
    Name:  101--hands-n-feet.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  238.7 KB
    Name:  102--foothead.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  442.4 KB
    Name:  103--hey-look-anatomy.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  310.2 KB
    Name:  105--armback.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  217.3 KB
    So, some of these are actually months old. These are from my larger sketchbook, which is too big for the scanner. I just got around to photographing them now. The skeletons in the goofy poses are from imagination, the posed muscular studies are from a book by some guy named Richer and, again, Robert Beverly Hale. Like the other book with Hale's name on it, it's an excellent and revelatory book. It features very detailed anatomical plates, and at the end it also has images of a guy striking various poses and showing how the muscle shapes change with each pose.
    Also tossed in are a few doodles and some reference image studies.

Name:  99--shampoop.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  161.1 KB
    A study of a shampoo bottle. I think I got the form pretty good, but the values are bad; the object is the same value as its background.

Name:  104--smiling-guy.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  198.9 KB
    I fun study of a smiling Chinese guy from Trek Earth. I didn't quite capture the shape or expression of his eyes, but the rest I'm happy with.

Coming up, I'll be having yet another mermaid in the works. This is actually a commission that came of my mom showing off the other two so much. It'll be fun to use the last two as a yardstick for my artistic improvement.
    Also something completely new, like nothing I've ever done before. But you'll have to wait until Monday, since I have to go to school and take a photograph of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai, your sketchbook is ginormous. Holy toast. I'm working on getting back into the swing of things here... I'm down for cow 109 whenever it happens.

Nice to meet you as well sir and good shots from Seattle. You saw some things I missed out on, like the android creature demo and those other creatures that followed. Sick!

Nice construction on your figures from post 478 (the angular ones). The line-follow through helps the overall gesture.

With your finish on the mermaid woman from post 479 I'm wondering if there's a way to make her skin tone warmer/less monochromatic? Maybe let some orange light reflect off of her scales onto her skin? Say in place of the bluish reflected light on her right side? (the shadowed side). Nice otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai, its really impressive how dedicated u are.. i really enjoyed viewing all your drawings. when are u gonna enter COW again.. think i havent seen u there for a while? could be wrong though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sculpture!

Peter John- Thanks, man! It was nice to meet you as well. I'm really looking forward to the next North American workshop, so I can see everyone again. Thanks for the crit on the mermaid. I'll see what I can do.
    Joey-b- Hey! Long time no see! Thanks for visiting my sketchbook. As for CoW, I have no idea when I'll next enter. I'm going to be very busy with schoolwork for another few weeks, since I have a class that is only half a semester long but with a full semester's worth of work. After that, I dunno. I may enter it a few more times just to get some practice incorporating elements from animals I don't draw often into my designs, like fish and invertebrates, or to practice my creature textures. Don't know when that'll be, though.

So, anyway, here are the fruits of my figure sculpture class labor so far. I have a clay model a bit less than a foot tall, an approximately life size (or larger) chicken wire sculpture loosely based on the clay model, and the beginnings of the first plaster coat on the wire model. The clay model was an absolute blast to make; after being so frustrated with my paintings lately, it was nice to get such enjoyment out of making art again. There are definitely anatomical, proportional, and gestural errors. The different segments of the limbs aren't the correct lengths, and the hip needs to be angled more. But still, it was quite fun.
    The wire model was alternately fun, frustrating, and painful. It was quite a pain in the ass to get started on it, since basically you have an uncooperative sheet of small chain-link fence that you have to bend into the shape of a person. I pinched myself with the pliers a few times and even gave myself some blood blisters, and got quite a few pokes and jabs from the wire itself. Overall, though, it was a fun experience. I also constructed a stand for it out of random pieces of metal junk that were lying around outside the sculpture building at school. My teacher was nice enough to weld them together for me.
    Plastering was fun. It looks hideous right now, but with some more layers and some sanding hopefully it'll look fairly good. Even with just this single, partially-completed coat, though, what was already a heavy sculpture became very heavy. I don't know what I'll do with it once the plaster layers start getting thicker.
    I have a few more drawings, mostly studies of humans, but I don't feel like scanning them now.
    And I feel like a real shit for not commenting on more of my sketchgroupies' sketchbooks, but I'm very short on time now.[

Attached Images Attached Images                                    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful studies, man. And the sculpt looks great. I really can't see anything to critizuce. You must be surprised. Amazingly surprised indeed. So surprised that you're surprised of how it surprises you. This reminds me surprisingly a lot of Hercule Poirot. Moustache.
    Ahem. Yeah, I can't find anything to critizice, so, I'll just give you a few asspats again.
    As usual, I am amazed of the way you do your studies. They have an inspiring effect. Your sculpt looks good and chickin' wire work looks great so far, too.
    Keep up the great work, Moai. You are an inspiration to us all.

My Current Sketchbook

Ye Olde' Sketchbooks

F**KS GIVEN: ZERO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, holy shit. life size sculpt! what can you not do?!?!

miss you buddy, hope all is well. update!

best,
    spade

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monsterkill- Thank you very much, man. It's alright that you don't have a critique for me, since your words of encouragement are enough.
    redSpade- "wow, holy shit. life size sculpt! what can you not do?!?!" Haha! Thanks, buddy. Really, I'm not special. All I do is observe, draw, and think about the principles of art, and let these three activities inform each other. Any artist can do that. "miss you buddy, hope all is well." Oh, all is fine. I've just had quite a bit of homework, and lately I've had a more independent attitude about art and haven't really felt the need to post what I do. "update!" Okay! Sheesh.

Name:  106--unla-radius.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  314.2 KB

The unla and the radius have probably been the hardest bones for me to understand so far. They're deceptively simple. They have all these subtle curves and ridges that split off from each other and then rejoin. Plus, it's hard to get a good look at them individually when they're stuck so close together on the fake skeleton I draw from.

Name:  107--meta-carpals.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  221.2 KB

These were pretty successful studies. I feel like I've achieved a level of understanding in these areas now.

Name:  108--school.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  276.5 KB

Sketching some of the campus while I wait for class to get started. I probably should have used a wooden pencil for this, since I got impatient shading with the mechanical pencil.

Name:  109--phalanges.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  179.7 KB

Another successful study, this time of the finger bones. The dude was inspired by a kind of interesting looking guy in the cafeteria. Doesn't look like him.

Name:  110--lenghts.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  81.3 KB

Not an exciting image, but a potentially very useful one for me. I measured the lengths of all the long bones of the hand and fingers and put them down for comparison. More comparison between the different lengths will be needed for me to achieve a fuller understanding of the proportions of the hand, and with this image I can do that.

Name:  111--clavicle.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  122.5 KB

The clavicle. I wasn't really in the mood to draw, as you can tell by the very hasty inner view. This study and my other observations achieved their purpose, though, and I now understand the collarbone much better than I did.

Name:  112--cervical.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  247.4 KB

I've kind of been avoiding the spinal column until now, but I figured the time had come for me to learn about these bones. I'm just going to draw portions of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions of the spine, though, since drawing the whole thing seems tedious and would probably require more time than I have between my classes. Anyway, I pretty much understand the cervical vertebrae now. They're actually really neat little bones. I also decided to break a cervical vertebra down into simple shapes. I don't know when I'll need to use these, since these bones are usually buried pretty deeply in the neck, but it's great practice to simplify what I see. I went more in depth than what you see here, but that's not finished, so I'm not going to post it yet. Larger, less abstract bones like the skull and shoulder blade resist my attempts to simply them, however.

Name:  mermaid-3-save-1.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  274.4 KB

Hey look, another mermaid. This is a semi-kinda-sorta commission, in that it was requested of me and I'll probably get paid for it. This is the initial version of the sketch. The turtle she's holding is a green sea turtle, the turtles in the back are leatherbacks, and the rest of the fish are a mixture of parrotfish, triggerfish and their close relatives, surgeon- and unicornfish, wrasse (including the California sheephead wrasse), dolphinfish (mahi-mahi), and oceanic sunfish (mola-mola). Some of the drawings are pretty lazy, but that's okay, because I'm pretty sure I'll be able to salvage them when painting, and they are going to be indistinct background elements anyway.

Name:  mermaid-3-save-4.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  358.6 KB

This is the current state of her. I got rid of her sea turtle, since it didn't really make sense for her to be holding on to it, and her holding on to it may seem uncomfortably like she's drowning it, and drawing her hands holding onto it was going to be a pain in the ass. Besides, it obscured her figure in a way I didn't like, since one of the things I was looking forward to in painting this picture was to put my new figure knowledge into practice.
    The angle of her head and neck was taken from an online reference image, and her arms were taken from a reference photo that I took of myself. Taking reference photos of yourself can be a pain. Her fish body is kind of a placeholder, as I couldn't decide on how I wanted her body and fins to be. Also, I don't know if she's going to be covered or openly topless in the final image, as I'm not sure how the person this is for will feel about it.
    And finally, I'm trying out the warm underpainting method with this image. I think it'll be a good way to get my values under control before worrying about color. I felt like the last few paintings I've attempted have been too far out of my control, which made me tense and overwhelmed when painting, so I'm trying to keep this one firmly within my grasp through the whole process. Looseness and spontaneity can come when I've achieved more mastery over the painting process; right now they just make things difficult.

Edit: My reference image sheet, in case anyone's interested. Copyright whoever took these photographs.

Name:  refrence.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  483.9 KB

My large sculpture has made significant progress since my last post (and gained considerable weight--I have to use a dolly to move it around now), but I haven't taken any updated photos of it to show you. That'll come next week.

Last edited by Moai; March 6th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That mermaid looks awesome! Lovely colours, i really like the reds in there.Your sculpture looks really good too, I can see the studies helpin a lot. Its a good idea to remove the turtle in the mermaid piece, because it looked a little confusing, as if she was exhibiting the turtle. Later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!The last one looks fantastic so far!Great work,man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai, nice studies, and sculpture. Curious to see the large one. Your mermaid piece is looking interesting. I was wondering what you will be having in the background? Or the large group of fish behind her will be the background part? Be interesting if you had some cliffs, rocks, coral reefs etc... just a suggestion. You mentioned you weren't sure on the fish body or not. To me right now it seems she is more of posing right now, then in motion. I think having the base part pushing forward or backward would give her more of a feeling that she is swimming. Also as for giving her clothing, not really sure, you could always go that route and see what you come up with. I think it would be interesting since a lot of mermaids you do see follow that stereotype of no clothing. You could probably do a lot with giving her accessories. Such as a hair piece, necklace, ear rings etc. Ask yourself what type of jewelry would a mermaid like? Obliviously it would have to fit with her environment like sea shells, maybe coral parts, etc. Try and get into your character and environment, and have fun.

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Yautja892 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook and great updates so far. I can't wait to see the mermaid finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love'n the skeletal anatomy sketches. You seem to have a freedom with various facial types because of it (and much more hard work and study, I am sure).

Very cool to see what you are working on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

An update, by crikey

Finally, another update! Jeepers creepers! Well, I finished a half-length class week before last. That partially explains why I haven't been updating; I've been studying instead! Anyways, I then went on vacation up to Oregon to visit my relatives, including my cousin's nine month old daughter, who is the happiest and most beautiful baby ever. I love her.
    But now, I'm back. I'm going to try to finish that mermaid this week, as I've taken a ridiculous amount of time on it already. I have a number of other projects in mind once I finish that, including some concept art and illustrations for some books I've been reading, and a few game character redesigns. Fun fun fun!
    Amer-Nazri- Thanks, man. Yeah, that turtle wasn't a good idea. I'm glad I got rid of it.
    Camara- Hey, pal! Glad to see you again. Thanks for the comment!
    Yautja892- Those are some excellent suggestions, man. Thank you very much for the critique!
    Lyno- Thanks!
    EricElwell- Thanks, Eric. Those skeleton studies are helping enormously. They've taken my observations to a whole new level. I love doing different faces, but I don't yet think I have "freedom" when drawing faces. For example, not too long ago I was trying to draw a face from reference, but I only succeeded in drawing my own darn face. It was strange. More studies are needed.

Name:  113--simplicervical.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  273.5 KB
    In my last sketch update, I showed you a few images of me reducing the cervical vertebra to simple shapes. This is the rest of that. All I'm doing is taking cones, cylindars, and boxes, cutting them and slicing them, and putting them together. It was a fun exercise.

Name:  114--ribs1.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  228.5 KB
    Ribcage! It was really strange how fun and satisfying this was to draw. I got some good information on the proportions of it as well.

Name:  115--rib2.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  162.8 KB
    More ribcage! Side view.

Name:  100_0212.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  394.7 KB
    Name:  100_0213.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  359.9 KB
    Name:  100_0214.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  349.5 KB
    Name:  100_0215.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  405.0 KB
    Name:  100_0216.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  383.7 KB
    Name:  100_0217.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  380.4 KB
    Here's my big plaster sculpt. This was an absolute blast to make. It's not a good human figure, though. I want to start over. Notice the hole in its armpit. The anatomy there was bad, so I took the sanding tool and beat a hole into it. I'll replaster it soon.

Name:  100_0220.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  427.9 KB
    Name:  100_0226.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  409.4 KB
    Name:  100_0227.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  380.2 KB
    Name:  100_0228.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  332.3 KB
    Name:  100_0229.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  284.1 KB
    Name:  100_0230.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  329.1 KB
    Name:  100_0231.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  470.5 KB
    Name:  100_0232.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  422.4 KB
    Name:  100_0233.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  417.1 KB
    This one was pretty damn fun as well. It's a small wax sculpture of a young, lean male model. Young and lean is a nice contrast to old and chubby. Anywho, this started out as a pre-made stick figure. I finally did what I should have done with my previous two sculptures, and treated it more anatomically. Putting on pieces of the material that represent muscles, rather than just adding mass haphazardly. We have these soldering iron type things we use to melt the wax, and I just stabbed that into its head to make the face. I like the face, but I don't know if I'll keep it that way. For the base you see in the later images, I just took a flat sheet of wax and used the iron to melt other pieces of wax onto it. I then took the iron and melted away pieces of the base itself. That was really fun, and I like the effect that I got from it.
    This is still a work in progress, and I'm not too sure how I'm going to progress with the figure. Take its hands and feet, for example. I got an idea earlier and removed them, but now my idea has changed and I don't know what to do about its arm and leg stumps any more. Suggestions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what. a moai update and no comments??? just got the chills....

i totally dig the way that you're branching out and fully support it. i've always wanted to get back to sculpting myself as a hobby, but havent really gotten there yet. what are you taking away from this experience that can help you to further your studies?

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mermaid update

what are you taking away from this experience that can help you to further your studies?
    Thanks, redSpade. To answer your question, the think that strikes me as most helpful about making these sculptures are the intense observations that go into making them. When you do a figure drawing, you may spend a few hours observing one angle of a figure. The clay model/lifesize sculpt and the wax sculpture both had about eight hours each of working from the model. You look at the model from every angle and spend hours and hours using those observations to correct your sculpture. The sheer amount of observation of the 3D human form is what will help me most, I think.

Here's a small update of my mermaid. Values and the beginnings of colors. I think I'll only tweak the colors and values a little bit more before going in and doing the final painting over the top of everything. Most of the changes, including those that Yautja recommended earlier, will take place during the final painting.

Edit: Also, I recently had the honor of being invited to join a Creature Artists blog. Check out new link I put in my signature, if you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once again, stuff looks great. The wax sculpture looks great, the studies look nice, and so does the mermaid.
    Congratulations on getting on the blog. There are a few names I recognize, biggest being Keith Thompson. I must say that you fit in well, as far as I've seen. Your creatures are unique in their own right and give a nice touch to the blog. Hope you have fun in the group. =)
    Waiting for your next update. See you again then, Moai.

My Current Sketchbook

Ye Olde' Sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monsterkill- Thanks, man!

My goofy faceless handless footless cave person seems to have turned into and eerie, long-nosed, limp-haired, three-toed cave troll. Again, exceedingly fun to make.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai, great updates man. Really like the last sculpture. For the painting will you be incorporating some more background elements because to me it seems the fish and the mermaid are both in the middle ground. Usually you want that to be your focus area. Anyways keep pushing it, I'll try and provide some crits when you start taking it further. Was wondering if you could crit my art schedule and let me know what you think about. For doing it for about a week now, it seems that I switch it up so much each day that maybe I should go with doing a said topic for two or more days and just switch it up weekly. Maybe having it to focus? Not sure.......

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoyo! you made a lot of progress through this book! great hard work on those studies! u seem quite dedicated i wonder where the mermaid is going,. its looking great! maybe try to let the mermaid jump out of the total picture, might make it even better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Time for another update

Yautja- Rest assured that there will be background elements. And don't judge the middleground/background position of the fish just yet; as I paint them I will push them back quite a bit by washing some of the color of the water over them. Thanks for the comment! I'll be over to crit your latest work and comment on your schedule (they're both looking good!).
    ajnema- Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. I'll try to pop the mermaid out a bit more.

Name:  mermaid-3-save-7.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  308.5 KB
    Here's the current state of the mermaid. I flipped it to see errors better. I've been experimenting and noodling with various coloring and rendering methods, as well as simply delaying working on it, for the past week or so, but once I got down and simply started painting it I had a lot of fun. I can see now that the greenish tones that I put on the side planes of her face make her look a little stubbly. I'll have to fix that!

Name:  mermaid-bigview.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  308.6 KB
    A closeup of the painted area. Her right eye is the best thing I've ever painted. In fact, the whole thing is my most successful digital painting yet, but her eye especially so. I think there's something funny about her nose, but I can't quite tell what it is. Any input on that, or anything else about this picture, is welcome.

Name:  yo-i'm-a-shark2.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  217.1 KB
    Here's a silly little birthday card for my dad. You may remember the landshark painting I did for him over a year ago. Anyway, this was really a quick doodle, playing with ways to render light and shadow. Basically, I filled in the shape of the shark with flat color and texture, then painted in all the shadows, giving them hard and soft edges as necessary. Then I cape in and did the same thing with the lights. It's a technique I've been wanting to try after seeing paintings that separate objects into really clear light and shadow areas, like many of Mark Zug's paintings.

Name:  116--bad-pelvis.jpg
Size:  261.5 KB
    More skeleton studies. These past two weeks I've been doing the pelvis. The first image I did is the front view. It was turning out really bad, not capturing the shape at all, so I did a few quick sketches and called it a day. Not a good drawing day.

Name:  117--good-pelvis.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  298.6 KB
    Now this was a much better drawing day. Very fun and successful drawings.

Name:  118--side-pelvis.jpg
Size:  157.4 KB
    Finally, the side view of the pelvis. I also tried simplifying the pelvis into basic shapes, like I did for the cervical vertebrae, but it was too hard. I may try again, I may not. In any case, I may do one more day of studies just to get the proportions of the pelvis, as I haven't really studied or made notes of those yet.

In other news, my cave troll sculpture has been dunked into its plaster mold, and is currently melting out of that mold in the sculpture class furnace/kiln/whatever you call that thing. We'll actually be pouring the bronze this monday, I think. I hope it turns out okay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai, I like the color choices your making in the mermaid piece. It's looking good so far. Also the birthday card painting gave me a good laugh. Has a nice Tim Burton feel kind of. Maybe the color choices not sure. I like that you said you were having a bad art day with drawing the pelvis, but I kind of like the more loser version. Anyways see ya next update.

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just found you on the creature artists collab. blog. Nice work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi

So, I'm here. I'm alive. I'm going to try to be a member of this sketchgroup again. School's done. My art projects turned out okay. It was the last semester before I was eligible for my associates degree. I moved to another town and I'm about to move to another state (Oregon).
    Here's what I've been doing.

Name:  1--pelvic-proportions-pleas.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  157.6 KB
    This isn't much to look at, but it'll probably be useful if I ever need some pelvis reference.
    Name:  2--i-hope-you-don't-mind-that-i'm-boring.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  67.6 KBName:  3--boring-but-informative.jpg
Size:  101.0 KBName:  4--what-about-me-I'm-boring-too.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  66.1 KB
    Again, boring, but full of useful information and observations.
    Name:  5--i-have-a-femur.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  173.1 KBName:  6--femur-too.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  178.2 KB
    Name:  7--tibia-1.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  195.2 KBName:  8--tibia-2.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  194.8 KB
    As I was studying the complex, convoluted forms of the pelvis, I was looking forward to the seemingly easier long bones of the leg. But, it turns out that they pose their own special challenges, mostly due to the subtlety of their curvatures.
    Name:  11--foot.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  86.5 KB
    This was the last study from the skeleton that I did. It's okay. I need to do several moder studies of the foot, though. Different angles, analyzing the phalanges of the toes, etc.
    Name:  12--vertebrae.jpg
Size:  258.6 KB
    And a study of the lumbar vertebrae I did a while ago, but never scanned. I think the back view is one of the stronger studies that I did this semester.
    Name:  9-skelly1.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  183.3 KBName:  10--skely2.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  107.6 KB
    Here's a creature skeleton concept that I'm working on. For the first image, I was using the class skeleton as reference, and surprise surprise, the creature started looking too human. I redrew the skull on the next page and liked that one better.
    Name:  bonesheet-save-1-moai.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  96.3 KB
    I'm doing an ortho of the skeleton. I'm going to draw out all four views of the skeleton, and then paint the muscles on over that. It should be good practice. I looked at the skulls of ground sloths and glyptodonts to refine the skull design.
    Name:  mermaid-3-save-10.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  278.4 KB
    Here's the progress on the mermaid so far. It's almost done, and good riddance. I was such an idiot when starting this thing. I did my usual mistake of making it way too complex and adding way too many forms, and I also started out painting haphazardly, giving myself a mess to clean up. I really hated this thing for a while. Now, I'm more at peace with it, and I have more of an idea of what kind of patience it takes to complete a piece like this. But golly, am I sure glad it's almost done!
    Name:  auny.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  269.3 KB
    Here's another piece for my flamingo-loving Aunty. You may recall the baby flamingo I did for her a while ago. Anyway, this was a fairly quick and half-assed thing (but don't tell her that!).

Yautja892- Thanks, man. My dad was really happy with that picture. I'm sorry I never got to commenting in your sketchbook like I said I was going to. I will tomorrow!
    Peter John- Thanks, pal! You've been producing some fine work yourself, I see. I'll have to hop over to your sketchbook as well!

I'll be back tomorrow with some photos of my finished sculptures!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Moai!! long time no see!!
    That mermaid is looking very cool, and is becoming one of my favorite pieces in your sketchbook.
    If you allow me to say a few comments, I think that in the last update the color temperature is getting
    a little colder, maybe beacuse the green of the tail is a little dark in contrast of the red you've been using in the other WIPs, but that's just my opinion.

The orthos of the skeleton you're doing looks very interesting, but i think that you can get the right and left view just flipping the one you've finished first. why don't you try to do a 3/4 or a top view?

Great work,man!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to mkshden!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Markeshi- Cool to see you again, to. That's another sketchbook I need to go see. You're absolutely right about the mermaid image getting cooler. The tail in the previous WIPs was orange simply because it hadn't been painted yet; that was the warm underpainting peeking through. I'm happy with the overall hue situation in that image, but I do think that it could use a warm shape in its lower half, to balance out the red fish near the top.
    As for the skeleton ortho, in side view in which the skeleton is facing left, I omitted the nearer arm and leg, so you can see the inner view of the far arm and leg. I don't know if that'll be necessary or not, though. I tried starting on a 3/4 view earlier today, but it was tough. Perhaps I'll make another go of it.
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

So, here's my sculptures, as promised.

The Wax/Bronze Sculpture

Name:  100_0305.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  251.5 KB
    Sorry for the blur. Anyways, after we completed our wax sculptures, we had to gate them. That's sculptor talk for adding tubes and stuff so that air will be able to escape from the mold when the bronze is poured in. Very important!
    Name:  100_0311.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  285.1 KB
    Here are all the plaster molds, ready to have molten bronze poured into them.
    Name:  100_0326.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  300.0 KB
    Name:  100_0334.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  398.5 KB
    It turns out molten bronze is really hot.
    Name:  100_0351.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  279.9 KB
    I got to try my own hand at pouring bronze. Pixels applied to protect the innocent.
    Name:  100_0354.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  343.1 KB
    Oops.
    Name:  100_0362.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  247.8 KB
    If there's ever a "complete spaz" topic in character of the week, you can use this image as reference.
    Name:  100_0364.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  514.5 KB
    Chipping off the plaster. The bronze has cooled enough to completely harden, but was still hot enough to boil water, and melt the asphalt underneath it.
    Name:  100_0368.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  473.1 KB
    Name:  100_0371.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  404.2 KB
    Here it is with all the plaster chipped and sprayed off of it. From here, it's a lot of chipping, sawing, and grinding to get all the extra bronze off of it. At this stage, it weighs twenty pounds. Once I got all the extra crap off of it, it weighed ten pounds.
    Name:  100_0454.jpg
Size:  321.8 KBName:  100_0455.jpg
Size:  449.9 KB
    Name:  100_0456.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  300.7 KBName:  100_0457.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  430.2 KB
    Name:  100_0458.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  227.7 KB
    Here's the finished version. After the somewhat lengthy process of grinding off all the extra bronze, I needed to sand-blast the bronze to even out the texture, which is quite uneven after removing it from the mold and grinding on it with power tools. The sand-blasting also makes the surface more receptive to patinas, which are chemicals that you apply to change the color of the bronze. Many patinas need to be applied to a very hot surface, so I got to play with a blow torch. The base is black patina with a little brown, and a sprinkling of blue-green patina, and the figure itself has a lot of blue-green patina. And there you have it.

Clay/Hydrostone Sculpture

This is the third and final sculpture we made in my figure sculpture class.
    Name:  100_0385.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  265.4 KB
    This is the only image I have with the clay figure exposed. The sculpture was subsequently put in a plaster mold (half complete in this picture).
    Name:  100_0390.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  409.2 KB
    Looking at the underside with the plaster cast complete.
    Name:  100_0391.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  477.0 KB
    Digging out the clay. Fun.
    Name:  100_0395.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  484.7 KB
    We then cast the sculptures in hydrostone, which is kind of a harder version of plaster. Here I am, chipping the plaster away.
    Name:  100_0459.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  230.0 KBName:  100_0460.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  233.6 KB
    Name:  100_0461.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  253.3 KBName:  100_0463.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  261.3 KB
    Here it is, chipped out, sanded, and primered. Done.

My life-sized plaster sculpture is also complete, but I don't have proper photos of it yet.

Last edited by Moai; May 29th, 2008 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG!!!!The mermais is,in my opinion,your best digital painting so far!AMAZING!!!Congratulatios,hope to see her finished soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first time ive started to post again is just to say this about your mermaid painting: pld:

dude you totally reached the next level with that one and if i was a real avid gamer, which im not, i would totally say that you're totally a level 60 paladin of digital painting.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Moai. Been a while =)
    As usual, I have no critique to give. If I'd write a long comment, it'd be something like this:
    "Blah blah blah yadda yadda, awesome blah blah you blah asskicking colours blah blah yadda blah yadda yadda blah blah *asspat* blah blah blah-" and so on.
    To shorten your trouble of reading never-ending lines of ass patting, I'll get to the question I have for you.
    When making a mold, I understand you get the wax sculpture out by melting it away from the plaster mold (Is it so? Or do you do the mold "layer by layer"? Also, how ever it goes, please PM me some short guidelines/tutorial about it) but how would, say, a red clay sculpture be grabbed out of a mold? as it is, I've found no useful tutorials about making molds for complex shapes (Such as the troll you made).
    Thanks in advance. Keep up the amazing work!

PS. You look good in the "complete spaz" image. I bet you draw in curvy and busty ladies like a supermagnet.

Last edited by Turisas; June 5th, 2008 at 07:01 PM.
    My Current Sketchbook

Ye Olde' Sketchbooks

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Turisas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent sketchbook, really good observations of the skeleton. very nice.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Hybrid_75 For This Useful Post:

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3