Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Moai's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff! with your new post...are you trying to up the contrast btwn the animals head to his body? or just the shadows? if that, you could try intensifing the shadows...making the darks darker and the lights lighter. you could also try a color that contrast more with a dark color. as long as you arent dead set on having red as the animals skin tone, i'd experiment with different colors for it.

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Mark Bot is offline full of gears and wires Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    extremely nice animal studies. and i think i spotted some feng zhu in there somewhere. he's always fun to look at when you're concerned with futuristic machines eh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you nailed some, if not most of it, yourself.

Else, I just wanted to say that your creatures rawks. *steals some ideas for studies*

You mentioned a World Body or something that you'd borrowed from your teacher, any idea who the author is - if it's really good? I came across a couple of books looking around.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome SB! Great studies. Love the creature stuff. Best of luck mentoring!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

Sketchbook Website Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai!

your COW is looking cool. I like the colours and the idea but I don't agree with it's stance. Personally it looks awkward in terms of silhuoette and foot placement. I think what you need to do is push the curves and have it flow together more. I took the liberty to show you an example. I really hope you don't mind or get offended.

I did a quick outline of your silhouette and blocked it in. The foot placement is off and the arch of the back feels awkward for the beast. I did a drawing of what I think would maybe fix the problem.

I pushed the S curve and made it flow from it's head up through it's shoulders down through it's spine to the pelvis. I also made it's arms kind of like an ape's. I just did that because I felt it worked but I don't know exactly how you want the beast to be. Also put it's hands and feet and the same plane making it look more like it's on ground. Hope this helps. I'm not doing it as a "Here, do it like this because my way's better." I'm just suggesting it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moai, where are you?

you are greatly missed.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here I am! CoW is over, my thumbnails are done, and it looks like I'm going to go to the workshop in Seattle!!! Who else is going? I remember Yautja saying that he was thinking of going. Anyway, I look forward to meeting at least a few of you guys in person.

redSpade- Thanks for the support and the crits, man! I'll definitely take those tips into account when/if I work more on that piece.
    Ignonimious- Yeah, I think its skin pretty much has to be red. It's just one of those things. Mostly, I'm aiming for realistic lighting and a value structure that brings the attention where I want it. Instead, I'm reverting back to my old highlight-middletone-and-shadow-on-everything tricks. I posted those samples of other artists' pieces as examples of what I'm trying to achieve. I was unrealistic in placing my goal so high, because those two guys have many more years of experience going into their pictures than I.
    GusTheRobot- Those Feng Zhus were studies my mentor had me do. I found them quite frustrating, actually. But thanks for the comments.
    Sorknes- Thank you. Body Worlds is an exhibition that travels around and displays preserved human and animal bodies, often in dynamic poses. Look it up to see some examples. There is a book about it, which is where that study came from.
    MarkWinters- Thanks!
    Garrett Hanna- Thanks for the draw-over. I don't mind it at all. I'll keep your advice in mind, should I return to that image.

So yeah, here's some images I made in the process of CoW 100. These are all either silhouette ideas, unfinished thumbs, or completed thumbs that I decided not to use. I'll post my actual batch of 100 creatures as soon as Fozzybar sets the poll up in the CoW forums.

Attached Images Attached Images                    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    must have been ages sincei last stopped here, if i ever did.Much respect for your creature design process and execution, and your grasp of animal anatomy is strong!

keep sharing!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CoW 100!

Thanks, Gnoll!

So, the CoW poll is up, and I am now posting my work for that. Go over and look at the voting thread, though. There are some entries there that kick my ass profoundly.

Here's the whole shabang at 50%. I'll be putting more stuff down through the next several posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Blind Rock Climbers

I'm quite happy with most of these, except 3, 4, and 5. 3 is probably the worse thumbnail I made in the entire activity. I really like the light and shadow that one 1.

These are all half as large as their size when I was rendering them, but twice as big as they'd be on the large thumbnail sheet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feathered Desert Runners

Not crazy about some of these designs. The only ones I really like are 9 and 10. The first image is the second image I created for this activity. I hadn't settled on my method yet, so it looks ugly. Next to it is the redone version I made later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Phosphorescent Tunnel Diggers

I did pretty much all of these in the later days of the activity. Since I was more practiced by this time, the renderings are better than some of my earlier thumbs. I don't really like 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pink Furry Predators

As a group, this is probably my least favorite batch of thumbs. The designs are fairly uninspired. On a positive note, while doing these I found a pretty good way to render fluffy hair, but layering transparent strokes of a spotty brush over each other. It's not a technique I'd ever use on a full-sized image, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Striped Beasts of Skies

These include some of my most well-rendered thumbs. However, this was the most difficult group to do, conceptually. I don't really do flying things very often, as doing these made me painfully aware. These actually caused be to feel a little bit of despair on a few days. I got over it, though, so don't worry.
    The last four images are unused thumbs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Electric Swamp Dwellers

I could have made the electrical aspect of these creatures much more obvious. But oh well.
    Sorry if I'm seeming pessimistic about all these. I've lately gotten over my earlier feelings of satisfaction about my work and realized how much I need to improve on all levels of my work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scavengers with Thorny Heads

This my favorite group of thumbs overall, I think. 4, 9, and 10 are probably some of my more rushed thumbs, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Razorhead Dinosaurs

I'm ambivalent about these. I'm happy with some, dissatisfied with others. The story of this whole activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Giant Tree Eaters

These were alternately fun and frustration. The image entitled PSD-1 is the first thumb I did, and the one entitled 5 is probably tied with Rock Climber #3 as my worst thumb. You can see some alternate versions of some of the thumbs.
    Also, 8 is one of my favorite creature designs I did this whole activity. It's not very out there in terms of the concept or design, but it looks so natural, and elegant in a simple way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cute Six-Legged Egg Suckers.

And finally, some cute six-legged egg suckers. These guys were fun. I had some troubles with number 3, as I realized that his beak looked like a limp penis. That needed fixing. Number 2 is probably one of my better designs. It's so familiar, yet different enough to not easily fit into any existing animal category.
    That's all, folks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great to see them at a larger size. Your creatures look really good at presentation size. Only if there were more invertebrates, there're only about a half dozen of them right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, longshao! Will you be posting larger versions of your own thumbs?
    The lack of invertebrates is definitely my greatest weakness in this piece, as well as in my creature designing in general. I'll have to keep my beady little eyes on your mentoring thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I will, but I'm kind of tired of looking at them at the moment.
    I did a load of research for this COW 100 just to learn more about insects and other invertebrates. Also MikeC does a lot of those designs so I went through his website and found plenty inspirations.
    I really didn't know how much details I should put in each creature until like 75 creatures into it. I think you and a few others did a really good job utilizing this limited space.
    Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone who don't end up getting tickets get at least a shirt and a DVD? I'm dreaming.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those thumbs are pretty cool but I can see what you meant when you got lazy with a couple of them, still, by lazy, they just arent as finished, they're still bloody brilliant. I've yet to check out the rest of the competition buit this looks like a pretty cool set.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah! so good! it's brilliant the way you did groups of similar creatures. i thought about doing this COW and i sat down and just started drawing totally random animals. it lasted about a day before i got too frustrated to go on, you had a great idea. i see a lot of diversity in the animals, which is hard for me to do.

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oops..i just realized that ALL of the cow enterers used themes for their animals. haha. oh well, they're amazing anyways

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah very cool Moai, I haven't voted yet but I think i'm leaning in your direction, they're so crisp and creative, and I think your anatomy is rock solid. good luck at the polls I keep checking back to see who people are voting for lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome. really glad I voted for you, even more so now that I've seen the Hirez versions. good stuff, and fun designs.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Moai, nice CREATURES!!
    finally after a month of waiting!!
    I actually really like all of them, but my favorite ones are the scavengers, tree eaters and razorheads... even if you say the contrary i see a lot of solid and interesting concepts.

Mmhh.. i can understand what you said in your Electric Swamp Dwellers batch post... but remember that the
    purpose of practice and training is not to become better than the others but become better than you were
    yesterday.

and I'm sure that you learned a lot doing 100 creatures in the last month!!

anyway, CONGRATULATIONS man!!

Last edited by mkshden!!; November 6th, 2007 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very well done^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You appear to have 1 true Invertebrate (#10) and then a possible invertebrate (#06) though that's not clear cause it could go either way but I think you did a fantastic job overall. The naturalistic approach to a lot of your designs worked in your favor in my opinion. Designs like these: 1, 2, 44, 47, 48, 63, 87, 88, 89, 90 are some of the better naturalistic designs. I see a Huge Terryl Whitlatch influence here and there, some of them actually resemble a few of her designs very closely which I'm sure if you're a fan of her work and own The Wildlife of Star Wars art book by her, so it was probably subconscious. One in particular is very close, If you have that book though, look at your design for #58 (go to page, 37 and you'll see what I mean)

Don't forget about you're invertebrates crustaceans, insects, arachnids, octopus, mollusks... they could have given you a much broader range of ideas and possibilities. Anyway, I just wanted you to know how close I was to voting for you. Impressive body of work.

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3