Sketchbook: Moai's Sketchbook - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Moai's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your mommy will be proud!!HAHAHA.I know is an early stage of the drawing,but are you going to keep those colors?Don´t you prefer some blues or greens,like water?My other crit is about the tail....in my opinion is very fish-like,seems as if a girl was going out the mouth of a giant carp.Anyway,I think it´s going to be a great piece the way it is now.Her body is fantastic,seems to flow!5 stars!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it would be really cool if you can use the fishes to lead the viewers eye around the painting. my eyes go from her head down to her tail then to the right (red fishes) back up to her again. except the other fishes in the background dont seem to go with the flow. looks exciting though!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Camara- Thanks for the critique! As for the background colors, I wasn't really intending this piece to be a very literal one. I intended it more as a decorative, whimsical piece, where the colors of the objects don't really have to be as they are in reality. However, I'm taking your advice anyway and changing the hue of the water, if just to separate it from the rest of the image. How do you like it? It's very flat now, so I'll have to add some subtle movement to it. As for her body, the pose is taken almost directly from a reference image (not copyrighted, so don't worry!), so I won't take too much credit for that. I'll integrate the human and carp bodies more as well.
    redSpade- I'll try moving those fishes around to improve the composition. Thanks!

Here's an update. Changed the water hue, and started painting. What I'm trying to do now is get all my loose preliminary strokes under control. Having all those blobs of color out where they shouldn't be is stressing me out!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think whats making it look like a girl coming out of the giant carp is your design of her tail. her fins on her hips seems to contribute to that.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai,this is becoming great!!!!!Just one crit,in my opinion there is too much forehead visible,don´t you think?Man!I don´t feel good making so many crits to a piece as good as this one!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    redSpade- What I think was causing the illusion were the large scales around her hips. I meant those to be similar to the large gill-covering scale things on fishes' cheeks, but I guess I made it too similar. I got rid of those in this most recent update. How does it look now?
    Camara- Never feel bad about critiquing my work! Your sketchbook is rated four stars just like mine, remember. There was definitely too much forehead. I lowered her hair a bit. How do you like it now?

In addition to the mermaid, also a few simple environment speedpaints that I did sometime last week and forgot to post. The focus here was more on the sky and clouds. Some of you may notice that I included some of my favorite biped sheep in the first one.
    Also, about the mermaid, after I rendered her face I noticed that it was being lit from a different direction than the rest of her body. So, I guess a re-rendering is in order.

Last edited by Moai; August 19th, 2007 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that mermaid painting is kicking ass!!

the lighting on it the body is perfect and the tail looks alot better.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again, redSpade! I won't take much credit for the torso lighting, though, since it is again heavily referenced.
    So, here's my work on it today. I re-rendered the face a bit, did the hands, and worked quite a bit on the body. The face, being the focal point, needs a little more contrast, and the hands need some more work as well. I also think I may be overdoing it on the body texture. Also, I've gotten rid of the body fins for now, but I'm going to paint them back on later so I can get some nice transparency effects.
    Also, I didn't think this thread was quite sexy enough, so after I got tired of working on the mermaid I started on this seductive witch-type character. Obviously very early in the process. My on-and-off studying of Hogarth's Wrinkles and Drapery is paying off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent!!Now the tail is part of her body!Really,I don´t know why this thread is only four stars...

Those enviros are sweet!!(I´m so bad with landscapes.......)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still humpin' away at this mofo. The fins were doing their best to be a pain in my ass today, so I ended up completely painting over/erasing them completely a few times. Finally I figured out a way to paint them easily and have them look good, so I'm happy. I also did her hair, and used some blending mode trickery to brighten up her face.
    Thanks again, Camara!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Moai, sorry I haven’t commented in awhile in your book. Lots of progress and good to see you’re expanding into different ideas, and themes etc.

Post #326:

Nice robot design, it’s simple but it works well. Has functionality to it and the perspective on him reads well. The other robot design with the gun arm I enjoy even more then the other one. Nice quick cat studies, very loose but you can see your working with the forms. Really great dinosaur below the cat studies, I was curious what size of paper do you work on? Just wondering because you have had so many nice gems, but they are fairly small and quickly sketched. I think it might be beneficial to do some larger more detail drawings. The face studies are interested, like the guy with the spiky hair, they seem somewhat flat though, and their bone/structure doesn’t read through. The last sketch is great; the girl feels like she has weight and you have the overall form well placed to.

Post # 330:

Interesting Character Design, overall it’s pretty decent, the lighting seems well placed to me, and I like the neck area a lot in regards to the concept. I think the overall design isn’t as strong as some of your previous works. I’m curious to know what’s wrong with his face. Can he see, or talk? I can feel were your more focusing on the rendering/technical parts then the overall concept/idea. Overall though great job on this one.

Post # 337:

Cool to see you mixing up the subject matter. Those environmental paintings are nice. Was majority of these from imagination?

Post # 341

Liked watching your progress on this piece, and I’m sure you mom will love it. I think the mermaid is coming along well. I think you should switch your attention to the fish and the surroundings. What will you be putting through the ocean? Will the ocean be very clear? Based on the lighting of the mermaid she would be fairly close to the surface. To me the perspective seems like the viewer is looking at the mermaid and fish from above and gradually the background would be getting dark since its getting deeper and deeper to the bottom. Right now its hard to crit much, so far its coming along well.

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yautja892- Thanks for the insightful comments, man. Here's my response to them.
    Drawings: Thanks for the compliments on these. I usually work in a 9x12 sketchbook (which makes my 8.5x11 scanner kind of a pain ). Some larger sketches probably would be beneficial. As for the faces, they probably took about a minute each to do and are not very good.
    Metalhead: You hit the nail right on the head with this one. This was more of a technical practice that a serious character design. As for the concept, he's some sort of very high-ranking dude (high priest or emperor or something). He recently lived through an assassination attempt, but the assassins succeeded in completely destroying his face, even if they couldn't take his life. He still has his hearing and his sense of touch, but everything else is lost. He speaks through a device on his neck brace that amplifies his vocal vibrations. And other stuff.
    Enviros: Mostly from imagination. I used some reference on the hills and clouds.
    Mermaid: I have started rendering the fish, but I just haven't gotten far enough to warrant an update. I meant the perspective as to be simply looking straight at her, rather than looking down at her. And, like I told Camara, this isn't really a literal piece. Rather than a mermaid and a bunch of fish literally drifting and swimming in water, its just a decorative image of a mermaid and a bunch of fish in a bluish space that more or less represents water. Or something like that. The surrounding space does need to be made more interesting, though.

Anyway, today's update.
    -A character design I was playing with, and some sketchy bots.
    -Two pages of Bridgman studies. Tomorrow I'm going is the first day of a new figure drawing class that I'm taking, so that'll give me something real to apply this knowledge to.
    -A bunch of sketches all from reference. The goldfish and the upper bodies were studies for the mermaid, and everything else was from a National Geographic. The two guys are mostly there as clothing wrinkle studies.
    -A buncha critters! Sometimes, when the weight of all that I have to learn and study in art gets too much, I'll just go into my room and do a page of critters. My personal favorites are that sail-backed reptile guy in the upper right, the long-nosed dog guy mid left (the best personality of any of my creatures in a long time), and that sorta insect/antelope thing right below it. Though it's not really obvious, I'm trying to get more suggestive of form with my pencil rendering, rather than just drawing lines and scribbling in some areas of shadow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a lucky mother, that painting's looking beautiful. Lovely Bridgman studies too, I'm hopefully starting my first life drawing classes next month so I've picked up a couple of his books to get me started.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Shantih. Have fun with that class!

I'm getting so tired of this mermaid picture, you wouldn't even believe it. Here it is almost done. You can critique it if you want, but I probably won't make any sizable changes. I'm just done with it.
    Some more characters and environments coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg, it looks sooo kick ass man! you cant give up now, you're halfway there!!!! i say, take a week off of it then come back!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those anatomy studies look great Maoi!
    Your mermaid is coming along nicely, it's an excellent gift. For a beginner such as myself, which would you recommend first for anamtomy books, Hogarth or Bridgman?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    redSpade: With that comment, you gave me the motivation to work more on that piece. After a break, though. Thanks!
    MacTire- Thanks, man. For the anatomy books, I'd recommend Bridgman over Hogarth, but they both have their pros and cons. The biggest problem with either of them is style. I prefer Bridgman's style, which is sketchy and loose, but sometimes it's hard to figure out just what this or that line is supposed to represent on some of his looser drawings. Hogarth's style is the exact opposite. Everything is clear, crisp, high-contrast, and bulging. Some of his drawings are painful to look at, to tell the truth.

No art today. I spent a while yesterday gathering up some reference for an environment I'm going to do soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy BDay,Moai!!

The mermaid came out pretty good!Maybe the bikini is a little ztrange or unfinished,but it´s ok.If I have made it,I would made her topless...but it´s ok!!Hahaha.
    Very good work as always!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAPPY B-DAY !!!!..... you 20 now...? Get any good gifts? Like the last update, favorite is the loose figure sketch you did. Also great design to that creature with the large scales on his back. I think some of the creature sketches could use some more value range to give more interest and help push the form, and play with your lighting more. Also I think redSpade is right, just so you don't get tired of the same piece. See ya next update.

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Birthday!

Lots of nice stuff in here, that mermaid is kicking my ass, but I want to see more of the 'peasent' hottie she started out with. For some reason I like the addition of the green-garb to her lower half, even though I can't figure out how it stays on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Camara- Thanks! I really didn't feel like I could make her topless, since it's for my mom.
    Yautja- Thank you too, man! I'm gonna get a subscription to ImagineFX, plus some new gloves and booties for surfing. Yeah, my values are still something I need to work on.
    Rhineville- Thank you. So you think my woods witch is hot, huh? Mission accomplished! She's supposed to be some sort of seductive sorceress character, such as those found in the King Arthur legends. Her skirt thing is held in place by a button and not much else! Perhaps I should put more thought into that.

Fine, I'll go do some art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

I don't know if it's appropriate for the colorscheme you used, but I learned about adding kindof-an olive green the the receding planes of the flesh.

It could add some color variety to the flesh.
    It would be cool if she sucked my...um.. toes.hehe

Oh, yeah....Since you're the best animal expert I know. We know in natures design that everything has it's purpose. But what of those Goldfish with bubble eyes?

Enjoy your day!

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy birthday Maoi!!!

THanks for the advice.

Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Woods Witch Update

Bard- Thanks! I'll try out adding some new colors to her skin when I get back to working on that picture. As for the goldfish, most of the weirder goldfish are in fact domesticated and have been specifically bred for their appearance. So, that feature has been selected by man for decoration (or something), not by nature. Kind of like dog breeds; I don't think the wolf would have ever turned into the Chinese Crested dog without man's intervention.
    MacTire- Thank you! No problem.

So, this one's for you, Rhineville! I just spend the past few hours giving her a background and painting her up. As usual, I struggled a bit in finding the right background. I think what helped was to decide to treat it like I would actual paint, and just push it around. It was pretty fun, actually. I'm happy with the way the ground is turning out, too, especially since it's my own, and not a texture from the internets. The skin tone is fighting me a little, but it's a good fight and I'm learning stuff. I'm going to have to play around with her face a bit more, too. I also had to make some adjustments to make her appear less silicon-enhanced, if you know what I mean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its awesome to see someone putting as much effort on the background as they would on character. definitely this can be pushed some more and its going towards the right direction. for her skin tone, i feel that it lacks cooler colors. or maybe even a bluish green from the background.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update now!!!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Say whaaa? You're only 20? Dang, I've got some catching up to do.
    Nice new stuff. The mermaid is sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    redSpade- Fine, I'll update! Sheesh. Some people... Thanks for the crits and compliments. I'll definitely add some more variety and cooler colors to her skin.
    HunterKiller- And I've only been painting digital for a year! No, seriously, I've got a lot of catching up to do myself. I'm lazy. Thanks for stopping by.

So yeah, I've worked a few more hours on this babe. I've rendered her fur shawl thing, rendered her faced and moved her eyes a bit so that she's actually making eye-contact now instead of looking over your shoulder. I also took some reference shots of myself holding a glass ball, because I don't quite trust my hands drawn from the imagination.
    Also, some sketches.
    -Some bigbrained alien, some critter concepts, and some character face doodles that probably won't amount to anything. Bigbrain was inspired by a shirt that I laid down on the floor. Every now and then I find a nice image in cloth wrinkles.
    -Some bugs from reference, with notes, some lousy loose faces, and a critter that began as a Dune sandworm but turned into just some generic annelid.
    -Gee, I wonder which member of my sketchgroup influenced these... North African Arab and Berber costumes from some big old historical costume book. Also, some cute chick with a north-african hat and an Indian top.

Last edited by Moai; September 16th, 2007 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man wicked progress! Your Bman studies bring mine to shame! Such confidence and control in your lines. I'm loving the fact that your always experimenting with shapes and animal parts to create original designs. Your digi paintings are strengthening up too, they are getting tighter and tighter.

I'm gonna have to get my ass into Cows and chows, they seem to be extremely healthy for people. I just wish a new tablet and monitor would appear out of nowhere. I might enter pencil sketches for now, even if they don't make it through to a vote it shows Ive had a go.

Btw do you know any decent animal anatomy books? Ive been boosted to get my ass back onto creature designing!

Oh and a verrrrry late Happy Buffday!!!

Have fun

Rich

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3