Sketchbook: Jason needs improvement so beat his ass with critiques - Page 31
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest updates are looking fine man. You pull it off being a roman soldier. ;p
    The self portrait is very well done. Keep up the good work !

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven S View Post
    That angel piece is so rad! Did you start it of with grayscale?
    Hey Ven

I actually made a post on another forum about the process for this one. I did more or less use greyscale first, and that's typical of a spot image like this; For miages with no background (just characters) I tend to go greyscale first colours later, while in full illustrations I go right to colour. here's the process;

Cool idea for a thread my basic process using a recent piece as an example;

This was a private commission, rather than work for a publisher. Client wanted a character spot image and was clear about the gender, race and some equipment.

1; I usually try to pry out as much information as I can. I love having the freedom to do what I want but I also seem to really like structure, to work within the confines of a tight brief (giggle). After some emails the client specified that the character's armour would be standard European fantasy, but the polearm she wielded had to be exotic, with Egyptian influence. The armor is built for speed, the pose should have some action and she isnít afraid of showing some skin.

2; Armed with my info I usually go right into sketches. This time however I thought it would pay to do a few studies first; using a lot of images of gymnasts and pole-vaulters I cobbled together some thoughts on dynamic poses before even thinking about what she would be wearing. I should say now; my process I find is very UGLY. My rough sketches are completely utilitarian the whole way through and Iím often embarrassed with the sketches I send into clients. That said, my typical proto-sketch-page looks something like this

3; I gathered the most promising poses and put some clothes on her. I used to do separate clothing/items concepts to send into clients but it was an extra step in an already long process, so I incorporate those types of options with my sketches so that they can mix and match;

4; The pose was selected as was the armor and weapon design. Usually now is when I start to really gather up references (in this case, wing, leather texture, boot, cloth, facial, hair and hand references) I avoid finding references early on unless Iím very unfamiliar with what I need to sketch, the reasoning is I donít want a particular image to drive my illustration; the references should be based on the sketch, not the other way around.

5; References in hand I lay down a soft white overlay and move into a tighter sketch on top.

I have 2 basic ways that I approach an image these days;
    If itís a spot image like this (subject with no background) then Iíll sketch, lay in values, overlay colours on top and then paint normally on top of all that, or
    If itís a full illustration, Iíll sketch the image but then move right into colours without values. I find my colours work better in these situations.

6; I did the former, putting down values and then a hard light layer of colour, painting normally on top of that;

7; whichever way i go about it, from here it's just a matter of refining and adjusting. Ocassionally I'll merge everything if I need to select/transform something that needs to be shifted, sometimes I'll add some overlay layers to help with the colours/lighting. Final product;

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This latest painting of yours is looking really really awesome. I love how you've chosen to put her head and chest area in shade. It really makes the armor pop out. Only thing that bothers me is that the back of the scarf seem to come in front of her face. At this stage the scarf looks much better to me. The placement of the head seems also better when the scarf goes clearly behind her head. Anywho... Great job on this one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikko Voipio For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the wings look great, and the girl looks great... but the wings don't look like they attach to her too well.

If you look at where the upper "wing" (arm) bone should be for the right wing, it looks like it goes somewhere vague (behind her hair?) instead of attaching somewhere to her back/scapula area. Pushing both wings down would hide her face, so that's not an option.

Maybe a different wing configuration or angle would work a little better.

Just some thoughts; you dominate my knowledge and skill, so consider this a comment from an underling.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you have an amazing illustration going on here.
    If i can suggest something: Looking at the left wing and how it folds/ articulates, I think the wing on the right should be longer.
    I also would like to see a better connection on the neck-waist blue cloth.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice catches guys, I thank you all for taking the time to give me some crits!

I'm going to try to make sure this thing doesn't get away from me anymore, making smaller updates and such if i can remember. Here's some superhero work;

Name:  Hawkeye.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  117.5 KB Name:  SAGE.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  69.8 KB

I was also commissioned to create a fight scene between two super-people. When I asked where it should be set the reply was "Somewhere in the northeast, which is the theme of this book... maybe Mackinac Bridge to Canada?" I was really surprised and happy to hear that, since Mackinac Bridge is only a few hours from me, and something I crossed over many times as a kid for family vacations to Michigan! Really crazy to be depicting something so far-fetched so close to home.

I wanted this to turn out nice, and since i don't think I've ever painted a bridge before I did a preliminary study to get familiar with the bridge. I'm glad i did, it has a weird center lane made up entirely of a metal grating to allow air to pass through;

Name:  mackinac-study.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  235.0 KB

The study even affected my illustration, since my original sketch didn't actually have any of the large bridge structures in it. i included one after study boosted my confidence somewhat;

Name:  Forward_vs_GoldStar2.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  264.1 KB

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, thank you Jason for the process

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff man, I really like the winged one. And the fight scene is pretty epic, great skintones!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the energy and movement on that last pic! The expressions are awesome too. On the winged warrior with the halberd, I'm not bothered about the scarf as much as the neck looking too short.

I also love the values and edge treatment on this one!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, I wish I was good enough to critique in here! I'll come back if I ever get as good as you
    Keep it up, you have one of the most beautiful and inspiring sketchbooks I've seen, I love it! The movement and expression in the last update, just wow! It's so incredibly inspiring!
    You have honestly made me want to stop what I'm doing and draw, so I hope you take that as encouragement!
    Big respect here! Subscribing for sure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really good stuff dude!
    i think the angel on #904 should have a longer neck

19. The Following User Says Thank You to razv23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool image! Love the expression on the other chick's face. "Hey, whoa... now let's not get too violent!"

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just went through your SB once more (it's become an almost daily habit now) and I have to say it's damn inspiring.

Your early pencil work and the way you approached anatomy convinced me to change the way I study and really push myself. Also I read your 2008 journal post on deviant art and it really changed the way I approached drawing. Thank you. You are an inspiration.

That is all, I have no business critiquing your stuff, just wanted to thank you and maybe provide some more encouragement.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dracken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dracken View Post
    I just went through your SB once more (it's become an almost daily habit now) and I have to say it's damn inspiring.

Your early pencil work and the way you approached anatomy convinced me to change the way I study and really push myself. Also I read your 2008 journal post on deviant art and it really changed the way I approached drawing. Thank you. You are an inspiration.

That is all, I have no business critiquing your stuff, just wanted to thank you and maybe provide some more encouragement.
    Thanks for that dracken, glad to help even in an indirect way. I hope when you look at the early stuff you use it as an example of things to study and NOT how something should look in the end (I cringe at everything on the first few pages)

I'll post in your SB to give you a few ideas of what was going on in my head early on

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was looking through the first few pages of your sketchbook and couldn't take the suspense anymore....skipped to the last one and I am inspired to continue drawing! I am 21 now and am starting to get back into studying anatomy even though I have had some backing practice....

All in all I can't really crit these works of art, glad to see progression such as these now.

Thanks Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The progress in the female super hero battle is really insightful. The end result looks marvelous! :] Well done sir

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest piece looking great man, nice job. You can tell you've spent time figuring everything out and taking the image to a clean finish. Throwin you a five star vote, keep up work like that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love sketchbooks like yours- it's so cool to see how much progress you've made.
    All your hard work has definitely been paying off, you've come such a long way
    Keep up the good fight! & happy sketching

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I was reading your reply to dracken where you said:-
    "Thanks for that dracken, glad to help even in an indirect way. I hope when you look at the early stuff you use it as an example of things to study and NOT how something should look in the end (I cringe at everything on the first few pages)"

I went back again and had another look and I think that although its not a patch on your latest stuff you can see how you have grown and er is it safe to say "matured", makes you sound like a bottle of wine! LOL
    Its good for numpties like me to see how you have worked your way along and it gives us hope as we scratch away in the dark, lonely hours chanting "he did it, so can I! aw bollocks I cocked it up again!".

thanks for posting matey its quite inspirational and better than that its interesting too, all the best to you mate.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the action and expression of the super hero's fighting it out on the bridge.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

I haven't looked at your sketchbook in a long time. Shit man your rocking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ah7aeGe1ei View Post
    Long time. Maybe I should post all my stuff in here, but I feel like it would get less attention (and less help) than if it was placed in WIP.

Anyways, a pencil drawing of a Loki bust that I found online. Can't remember the original sculptor.
    Ya think this guy is a bot?

The two "broken" images in "his" post can be used to harvest IPs much like images put into email messages can do the same thing. All the owner of the web server (where the broken images are pointed) has to do is look at the web stats, and he will see all the IPs that tried to load those images.

Apologies if to him if he is not a bot (and sorry for s***ting up your thread if so, Jason)

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've made great strides in your sketchbook. The two superhero women fighting on the bridge is wonderful and very inspiring.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super, super long time guys. Thanks for all the comments, here's the story;

CA's uploader sucks. A lot. It's bad enough that it's not a batch uploader and that it takes a while to just click through all of the little menus that no one's going to care about, but then when uploading a random image (could be the fifth or fiftieth) all of my attachments just dissapear. SO, until CA gets a new working (and hopefully, batch) upload I'm going to be linking files here from my blog that I just started today.

I'll post below the images from the past while along with the explanation from my blog:

----------------------------------------------------

I'll try to go chronologically as best I can here, which means the first bit is the rest of the images I did for The Isle of the Unknown rpg book;

Next are some of the studies completed BEFORE my new schedule (around november-december). These first two were actually some prep work I did before a bar-scene illustration that had to feature the likenesses of 3 women. Quick likeness sketches to the right (poor quality photos unfortunately)

Next are some relatively new freelance work and personal images;

And finally, here are the studies I've done from the last little while with my new schedule. I've taken The schedule from Mike Bierek's blog and adapted it to my own goals. Basically, instead of timed studies I basically try to shoot for quantity, starting with 2-3 pages of sketches (with the first being gestures and/or quick sketches) of the subject, 2 greyscale digital studies, one colour study and finally ending with practice IF I have time.

I've front-loaded the sketches and greyscale so if I don't have time for the rest (I usually don't each night, I need to get these done faster.... not that I need to draw faster, I just need to quit being distracted and keep the lead to the paper longer) I've at least tackled the STRUCTURE of the subject, which I think is much more important for me to get. By having a specific but ever-changing schedule in front of me I've been much more motivated. I've already done about as many studies in a week as I have the last few months. Anyhow, here are some;

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Been ages since I've seen this SB and man what a jump in improvement since then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks JFierce, it's too bad though that the SB section moves so fast that this got buried within the hour lol. New blog post, so new sketchbook post;

The final day for my new schedule is all about composition and principles, and it rotates between quick master studies, lighting and colour studies. I wasn't able to post it with the previous update, so last night I tried Mike Bierek's process for master studies, which are timed studies that start off very quick but slow down until there's one left to refine. After that it's quick thumnailing with some light reference (He calls it "reference-guided imaginative") to create a new scene based on what I learned.

First the master studies;

I was surprised how much info I could get down when I had a timer ticking. I then went on to do some reference-guided imagination works;

For the first image I was looking at Varia's outfit (from xena) while springing off of the Rituals' colouscheme. Next was a generic landscape and finally a forest spring encounter while looking at a nude girl in a forest.

I didn't mind any of the 3 but for the time I had I felt like the first one was the way to go (Plus I wanted to create a barbarian warrior woman who while scantily clad, was not the typical thin/gorgeous model in a fantasy world)

Overall I feel pretty good about the outcome, especially since I was very apprehensive at the start (I normally don't do well with times sketches and master copies take me ages) Hopefully I learned a thing or two. I do notice that the studies I did contain a lot of intense orange, while I use mainly green and red...

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic work Jason. I saw your work on facebook earlier. You've got some great painting skills. All the hard work you do really shows in your images. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this is rather smashing!
    5up from me

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah!
    It's been a while since my last visit.
    Already over half a year ago i think. Asked you that time for some mentoring but you didn't have the time.

And now I have to say:
    I don't know for what you used this time, but it seems like you used it for painting!
    Niice improvement.
    Pencil work is looking very sketchy most times, but your finished paintings are great.
    Your rendering and chose of color reminds me a little bit of the artist "Dan Dos Santos".

Keep going and if someday you decide to do some mentoring again: Think of me!
    Sil!

Gave you 5 stars. Now you finally made it up to 5 star sketchbook again. Why the hell was it rated at four stars? o.o

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25