Cave Settlement

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cave Settlement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cave Settlement

I know there is quite alot wrong in this. Before I start trying to finish it, can anyone help? I think the perspective is messed up.

Cave Settlement

Last edited by Tyde; July 28th, 2006 at 07:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you are right on the perspective, did you use any underlines? if not you should, since it really helps. The other thing I see wrong is the value of the rock, they first of all dont really look like rocks since they are so smooth. Also I suggest you use some more contrast on the rocks overall. The water is just one color, you should add more details on that, but since your not finished yet I wont comment on that.

When I get home I think I can do a paintover for the perspective if noone else has at that point.

Also, where is that light coming from? is it form gaps in the top? If so I would suggest expanding your painting and making them visable.

Hope this helps

Putting the FUN in FORUM!.... wait...

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried roughnin' it up a bit. It looks messy though. I'm too used to making things look smooth. I usually use a brush of 20-30% opacity. Should I use a brush with more opacity?

I put some more contrast in as well. I'll do some more on it.

Cave Settlement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The detail kind of out weighs the rest of the picture.

Cave Settlement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say do something wif the water, at least add a reflection to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I havn't done any work on the water. I'm going to put reflections on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the rocks you redid look pretty good, now just do that to the rest of the peice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with adam278 here, more value! this is a mistake lots of beginning artists make, its better to put in to much value at this point then to few, good luck.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sigh, this is taking a long time. I redid the rocks. I'm not too sure about them, especially the ones near the centre.

I started on the water.

Cave Settlement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the rock are definatly better this way! I think you made the lights on the upper left corner a little too bright, but thats just an opinion. great job on the rocks tho!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey tyde, I saw your piece and really liked it, but it was missing a few things so I slapped together a little paintover.

Cave Settlement

forgive the slopiness.

Now while you have upped the contrast i did that too but i took out your absolute blacks, it was making your image look kinda flat, the only place i threw in a tiny bit was at the end of the cave, to give it some depth.

Lightsources are interesting but all the diffrent angles are confusing your piece and messing with what should be in light and what in shadow. If the lightsource is the sun filtering in, its so far away from us that all the diffrent streams of light will be coming in at about the same angle. Instead of making that area just bright white, its easier to give it a bit of a glow and maybe throw some dust particles in the air and have them catch the light, it will make for a far more interesting dynamic.

I also gave the light some colour, i made it really green, that way i could get more interesting colours. The reason i picked green was because your artificial lights inside are a warm orange red (i made that more intense too) the idea is to use complimentary colours (or atleast colours that are far away from each other on the colour wheel)

I threw in a figure or two to give it some scale and loosend up the brushwork in the background, because you where noodling way too much, your rock shapes are almost artificial, they are very organic, almost like plants. Get a ref or two and see how craggy rocks can really be.

While its poorly executed in my pic you needed some reflective light on the sorrounding rocks something that showed that the light was affecting the sorroundings. Also your cave was showing almost no depth it was just kinda drawn onto the wall. Using the same little lights (a recognizable element we know how large it is compared to a human) i created rythem in the tunnel, by making the lights get smaller you can easily create a sense of perspective and depth by how small and how rapid the lights get. also they create an interesting bounce light inside the cave.

My paintover is kinda meh :/and its missing a proper focal point (its kinda ll over the place) i wanted to kinda show how you could get more interesting colour and depth situations going on in there.

Hope that helped somewhat.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you KiXx, adam278 and Red_Rook

I can't say how grateful I am Red_Rook. That helps so much. I love what you did with the cave. The rocks look so much better now. You actually captured what I wanted for the colour ranges.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the delay

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The perspective of the roof on the center building is off... it looks like the roof is falling downhill on the far side and is a little lopsided too. Might want to darken that rock on the left of the picture too, in environments the closer objects to the viewer are almost always the darkest and furthest away are the lightest. Unless I'm seeing it wrong and it's actually a mountain/cliff type thing? In that case it'd still probably be darker since there's no light really on the side nearest to the viewer. Just my 2 cents though, Red_Rook definitely has a great paintover to learn from there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work on not giving up on this one, Tyde.

the perspective on the left hut is off. you need to tweak the top of the rectangle down a bit, its warping. id also darken the foreground rock shape in the left corner. its really big and flat and grabbing too much attention right now. lastly, dont be afraid to make your light reflections in the water bold, bright shapes. water is very smooth and reflects not unlike metal does, with hard edged shapes of contrasting values. id suggest looking at some water at night to get an idea.

looking alot better though. keep pushing it.

EDIT: haha, runtosaurus beat me to it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made that rock to the left darker. It's actually suppose to be a fairly small rock. Sort of like a ledge that you are peering over. I also refined the water. I tried putting bold bright shapes like you said, but it just didn't work out right. I'm probably doing something wrong. I can see both your points on the perspective of the centre structure. I tried fixing it, but it still looks like it's going down hill.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing progress on this piece!! The water looks awesome now, like a pro! I would say keep pushing this piece and try to fix that roof (the one on the right is doing th same thing too just not as noticeable, should probably fix that one too). I kind of feel like the picture needs to be extended at the bottom too... it feels like it's getting cut off at the bottom and we should be seeing more. But that's just me. I bet you learned a LOT from doing this and sticking with it. You should probably push for more contrast too, you have almost no *dark* values. It is a cave after all. Good work, keep it up!! I love seeing progress like this!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.