Audio Books while painting
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Audio Books while painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Audio Books while painting

I'm pretty new on the forum, so pardon me if this has already been covered.

My new love is to listen to audio books while doing my digital paintings. Anyone else do this? If you have, do you have any recommendations?

I have been listening to Eragon (story about a boy finding a dragon egg - bought from i-tunes online store). I think it was around $15-$20, and it's over 16hrs long.. plenty worth the money, and a great story. I highly recommend it to anyone.

I only have about an hour and a half left, so I need to get a new one. Any recommendations?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    audible.com

20 bucks a month for 2 audio books, flat fee
    Sometimes I think it's made for artists, it's so perfect for what we do...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've tried it and it's impossible for me to pay attention, sometimes i can listen to talk radio, but most of the time it's just music.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love listening to audiobooks while I work. Unlike jrr I seem to use totally different parts of my brain to listen and paint. I do prefer non-fiction to fiction, though.
    The best source for audiobooks is your public library, especially if they have an interlibrary loan system. Pretty much everything you could ask for, and free. Some libraries even have an arrangement with Recorded Books (one of the two big audiobook companies) allowing free downloads from their site for cardholders.

Last edited by Elwell; July 27th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are also several podcasts where people read public domain works. It's mostly amatuers, so the quality is variable, but there's some good stuff out there.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, I hit the library like Elwell. I have gigs and gigs of books. I have also found a lot of classic books on cd at a local dollar store. I LOVE listening to books while I work. I also listen to the History Channel, which usually has pretty good narration. Some of the favorite things I have found are college courses on history and philisophy. It is indeed the greatest job in the world.

LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lyon
    Some of the favorite things I have found are college courses on history and philisophy.
    The Teaching Company's courses are great, and lots of libraries have them.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I used to listen to them a lot while working, and really enjoyed it. I have to start again, my playlist is getting old.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not quite audio books, but theyre great to listen to while working. Each episode is themed and has stories that revolve around it.

http://www.thisamericanlife.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mike yamada
    Hell yeah!

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree!

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Music while working is... annoying. I used to listen to my playlist for years, but I discovered lately that it's becoming harder for me to pay attention, and the music gets really boring. Well maybe it's me getting older...

Buying new albums all the time isn't an option, there just isn't enough good music. A photography site I used to visit regularly had an article about travel photography. There was a phrase that got stuck in my head until today, something like "After the 30th time listening to AC/DC's Highway to Hell, you will go nuts. Try something that makes sense. Listen to cassettes about the area, or just some theatre-discs."

My parents have aquired their taste for audio books lately and I have to admit it's fun to listen to them. When the narrator is good (luck for me, Germany has really good ones) and calm, it's quite enjoyable and good for work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you guys don't have enough music. Mp3 guys! The very notion of audiobooks makes me sick.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In germany there is a different culture what this is concerned. we have a pretty long (well, by modern standards at least) history of "Hörspiele", which means audio stories.... basically its like a TV episode but audio. same characters...etc. Originally they came out on tape for children and young listeners....

there are alot of series, new and old.

Im more of a nostalgic listener;

Drei Fragezeichen (80s - now)
    Masters of the Universe (80s)
    Jan Tenner (80s)

I do listen to books as well, mainly because I know all episodes by heart....^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometime ago I tried to listen to audiobooks (Like; Seven pillars of the world (7cd's). It worked wonderfull, but only because by that time all preparations for a picture had been set and I knew very well what I had to do next.
    Means, during the purely technikal timeperiod, these are great. Otherwise they distrakt too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah. But I find watching (or listening) favourite movies motivates me more whilst working without a direct influence on my work.
    The same can't be said for music I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not quite audio books, but theyre great to listen to while working. Each episode is themed and has stories that revolve around it.

http://www.thisamericanlife.com
    i've been listening since it was your radio playhouse.
    best thing on radio since vincent price.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do a lot of driving and audiobooks are my passion (as actual reading while driving didn't turn out very well). Audible.com is a great place (as are the others mentioned).

For historical fiction, my highest recommendation is Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series (20 books will take you a while). For general interest, Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything cannot be beat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

love audio books

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Some libraries even have an arrangement with Recorded Books (one of the two big audiobook companies) allowing free downloads from their site for cardholders.
    No way!!! I have to find out baout this cause i cannot afford to buy them and i totally am running out of them at my local libraries! :p This is the best thing to wrok to but i do have to stop the books from time to time when i have to THINK about what i am doing!

I am currently listening to LotR and loving it as much as i did the Hobit. I hav listened to just about every John Grisham book and really loved Matthew Reilly's "Ice Station" and "Scarecrow". I loved the "Jurassic Park" and "Lost world" when i read them and did not dissapoint when i heard them. Heard all four of Dan Brown's books and believe it or not i highly recommend "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens!

-PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are a whole bunch of podcast novels out there, that are free to download and listen too. the quality of the books varies, but you might find something you like at this site.

podiobooks.com

thanks for the tips people, keep em coming!

mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Radio plays!

I got the entire radio series (5 series) of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for christmas! - One of the best presents ever!

Bungie commissioned an audio play as part of their ilovebees publicity campaign for Halo 2. I've listened to that several times - It's better than the game IMHO!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For that matter, if you're tired of listening to rock/hip-hop/<insert your choice here>-music, try soundtracks instead. Most soundtracks dont have lyrics, which helps in terms of concentration. Also, they are kinda long. On the other hand, watching movies after having listened to their soundtracks 20 times CAN be less fun than before. Happened to me with Spy Game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can also divide my brain between listening and drawing really well. Always have. I used to draw as a child while listening to fairytale records; I used to draw at school listening to my teachers, and at university, listening to my professors... (And have students drawing in my classes while they're listening to me, lol. At least that's what I hope.)

Today, I love listening to audiobooks too. I'm a fan of the British Harry Potter audiobooks, erad by Steven Fry. The funny thing is that whatever I'm listening to attaches itself to what I'm drawing. Even if the picture doesn't have anything to do with the story I'm listening to, I'll look at a particular fold in a cloak later and think, "Oh, that was when Harry argued with Snape..."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.