Sketchbook: <~~<~~@ Lindsey Cormier's SKeTCHBooK @~~>~~> now with Hello Kitty Rainbow Sprinklez!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

<~~<~~@ Lindsey Cormier's SKeTCHBooK @~~>~~> now with Hello Kitty Rainbow Sprinklez!

Hello! This is my very first post, but I've been browsing this site for a looong time now. I'm not sure where I want to go with my artwork, so I thought I would start a sketchbook here to get some feedback. I don't know if I have enough skill to do concept art, but I would definitely like to be a freelance artist. Feel free to critique my stuff. I'm here to learn!

I just started sketching with prismacolor pencils a couple of days ago, here's something from a fashion mag reference:
    <~~<~~@ Lindsey Cormier's SKeTCHBooK @~~>~~> now with Hello Kitty Rainbow Sprinklez!

More practice with the prismacolors:

Unfinished sketch from life:

Sketch from life in Photoshop:

Just messing around in Painter and Photoshop. I haven't painted without reference in a long time, so this was a practice in that. I think I need *much* more practice!

Here is a digital painting in progress, just the background so far. I'm using my own photos as reference.

And here are two abstract textures I made in Photoshop. The first one was made entirely with custom brushes and layer modes. In the second one I was playing around with photos as well:

Well that's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more to post soon!

Last edited by linranae; June 5th, 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, welcome! strong start, practise hard, draw/paint from life and you will perhaps surprise yourself when you look back on old work
    keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spade: Thank you, and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I'll go check out your SB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, welcome to CA. You've got some great work here. The prismacolors are strong pieces to me. They are loose and shows off your line work. Keep up on those studies. Loving the digital art as well, specifically the dude with the red hair. I think you would do well as a concept artists. Just keep practicing and posting in here. Would love to see more from you.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A couple of new ones

Thank you darkchild, your comments are very encouraging!

Here are a couple of things I did today and yesterday. I would have done a lot more, but things got in the way of my drawing time. I'm making up for that right now - while everyone else around me is sleeping, hahah.

Here is a quick acrylic painting, just practicing a new technique. In the past I did not work this loosely or with this much texture. I'll definitely be doing more like this. There are many flaws but it was a fun little piece anyway

Here is a study of my hand, from life.

Last edited by linranae; July 29th, 2006 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just did some quick studies of my cat - I need practice capturing things from life that are moving. I didn't realize she actually moved so much until I tried drawing her, hehe.

Last edited by linranae; July 29th, 2006 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyo, pretty cool update! its good to try and flex the imagination, nice work. the hand study has good value and i like the loose cat studies, movement can be annoying lol. keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the source of your avatar looks great, lovin the colours but her arm seems a bit short
    really like the realism in the one with the trees
    keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like those prismacolor sketches the most. The girl with the snake has some anatomy issues though. Her legs seem too short, and there would be very little room under her arm for the snake to pass through. Try to construct your drawings from a 3D concept. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, I can finally update this thing! I was busy for a little while, and unfortunately didn't get a whole lot of drawing done. I did get around to making two of my own sketchbooks last weekend though. This way I can have whatever paper I choose in book form, and it's more motivating to work in them I think. I took some crappy quality photos, and posted them below.

Here is a watercolor page I finished yesterday:

Here's a photo of it, on the inside of the watercolor book I made:

The outside of the WC book (yay for recycling the backs of old drawing pads!):

This is the other book I made, this one has acid-free cardstock in it. It's really little, only about 6"x9".

Spade: Thank you!

Cigaro: Thanks, yeah, I messed up the anatomy on that one, hehe.

Bartovan: Thanks for the feedback. You're right about the snake, I couldn't erase it though after I noticed it (prismacolors don't really erase at all.) Next time I use the prismacolors I think I'll sketch with regular pencil first!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey linranae, i must say those cats are really sweet. are they like baby cats? good stuff so far can u explain to me how u did those books? would be nice.
    C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the watercollours kicks ass. Great start for your SB. Love the prisma's!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kicek,

Thank you, the cat sketches are of my cat - she's not a baby, but she has very long fur and she's kind of fat, hehe.

The sketchbooks aren't too difficult to make. I guess I'll write a tutorial here in case anyone wants to try it out.

How to make your own sketchbook

Materials needed:
    Paper
    Cardboard
    Some kind of glue
    Needle and thread
    Bit of cloth or canvas
    Few hours of time

1) I picked out the paper I wanted, and then folded the sheets in half. For the watercolor book, I wanted about 8"x10" so I used 5 sheets of 10"x16" paper, and folded them in half. That gave me 10 sheets for the book. (20 sheets if I use both sides of the paper.)

2) After folding the paper, I used some thread and sewed along the folded seam in the middle. Nothing fancy, just enough to hold it together. Only verrry basic sewing skills are required, trust me!

3) I cut two peices of sturdy cardboard from the backs of old paper pads I had lying around, making sure they were a bit bigger than the book's paper size. Any kind of cardboard should work for this, as long as you can put glue on it.

4) I opened up the inside/paper part of the book, and glued the two pieces of cardboard onto the backs of the two outer pages. Let them dry, of course.

5) This step is optional, but I did it just because I want my books to last for a while. I cut up a peice of unstretched canvas (any scraps of cloth should work), and painted it using acrylic paint. I used the canvas to cover up the binding part of the book, and to protect it. Once the paint dried, I glued the piece onto the edge of the cardboard book cover, wrapped it around the opening, and glued it on the other side (the back cover). Then I let the book dry for a few hours, and it's done!

Last edited by linranae; August 8th, 2006 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know i haven't updated my sketchbook here in forever, but instead of just starting a new thread I might as well use this one! I was busy with other work but now I have time to work on improving my skills and CA.org seems like a good place to do that So, here are a few of my latest sketches, I'll be updating this thing a lot more frequently now.

Two quick 15 minute speed sketches:

Some cartoony sketches of characters I may make a comic of:

Face sketch:

I'm trying to practice men lately, since I almost never paint them. Especially muscular men. I'm going to have to break out my Loomis books though because I obviously don't know enough about the muscles to paint them convincingly, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketch in painter:

Oil painting study from life, I gotta do more of these:

Close-ups:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick watercolor:
    Name:  watercolor41507.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  65.8 KB

some practice with textured brushes:
    Name:  quicktrees41507.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  70.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I haven't updated here in a really long time! Here are some recent pieces.

A self portrait from life I did today:

Some abstract,weird collages I've done:

Some other sketches:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More abstract mixed media collages:

details:

details:

Members who have read this thread: 1