Witch Model Sheet

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Witch Model Sheet

CnC please. Feel free to highlight or point out errors on the witch model sheet. Thanks in advance.

Witch Model Sheet

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    She's cute. I know you're playing around with the proportions on purpose, but her arms still seem a bit too short to me.
    One design suggestion: stripey tights.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only thing bugging me is the pose on the right, it looks like her leg is broken.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fun character design. the only suggestions I have are more facial expressions and maybe check the crotch on the figure on the right - provide some space between the legs rather than the straight "V"? This is the case with the two poses on the left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re:

Elwell: Okay I'll lengthen them a bit.
    Armando: I was afraid someone was going to say that, haha. I'll move the leg kicking up more towards the left and hopefully that would help. It gave me a lot trouble.
    Softocean: I see what mean by the "v" shape. It makes the legs look a bit fused. I'll give them some space. I definitely want to work on more expressions, I actually have some draw out but still need a lot of work.

I will have all the changes inked by the weekend, I'm horribly slow at inking. Thanks for all the comments, they were very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great. Aside from what everyone else has mentioned I noticed (and this may just be me) the part of the hat that droops down is not consistent in the views. Based on the first 3 views starting from the left the droop appears to be towards the front, whereas the 4th views has me thinking it starts right over the left shoulder. Sorry, I'm nitpicking. Great design

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re:thx

Here is the inked version with all the great suggestions mentioned above.

Elwell: oops forgot to address what you mention about the stripey tights, excellent idea. I'll put in the strips when I paint the model sheet. Horizontal?
    darkchild: Thanks for pointing out the droop, I added dip on the underside in the inked version.

I gave the leg that's kick up more of a exaggerated cartoony flex, hopefully it's more believable.

Thanks for all your patiences.

Witch Model Sheet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aha, better. I like the increased lineweight and the now seperate legs, but there is still seriouse trouble, where the hips connect to the legs if you try and fit a pelvic bone in that shape its going to be mighty squashed, it looks really un natural. Your going to have to give her bigger and deeper hips, specifically a far lower crotch, like so: http://www.female-anatomy-for-artist...cles_front.jpg

You forgot to lengthen her arms too, thats something you may be able to do fairly easily in PS just transforming them a bit, if your lucky.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    From a 3dmodellers point of view i'd like to see those arms a little higher up and the legs a little further apart.

You should also pay more attention to making the features line up. if the features doesnt line up it will give the modeller a headache. Some points that doesnt match are the brim of the hat, the chin, the breasts, the belt, the stockings, the top of the shoes and the bottom of the shoes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re:

Red_Rook: oops, Okay I lengthen the arms a bit. I deepen the hip to look more natural. Thanks for the great link!

Slash: I made all adjustments all around so the parts line up more accurately. I raised the shoulder a bit. I actually like the position of the legs right now, but I'll sit on it for a few more days and I might move them more a part.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Witch Model Sheet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still wayy too shallow, I can barely see a diffrence in the depth of the hips, Look at the length of the hip bone on the ref and the angle the leg connects at. You need to extend the crotch down to atleast half way between where it is now and the top of her stockings, otherwise shes going to look like she has poorly articulated hips from a badly made doll. One thing thats throwing it all off is the width of them, I know its meant to be stylised but the basic premis of proportions remains the same, in comparison to her torso and shoulders her hips are REALLY wide. Your drawing like her belt is a part of her anatomy, rather then a part of the costume, because the belt is currently defining the shape of the torso when it most definetly shouldnt be, try retracing it on another sheet of paper without the belt but the same waist, it will look way weird.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Red_Rook: I did the quick trace, I see what you mean. I lowered the hip more and opt'ed bit more height than for width though. I loosen the belt more, I wanted it tight, but not that deforming tight, oops.

Thanks for the uber patience.

Witch Model Sheet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think, because of the lowered crotch, the belt could also stand to be lowered (if you want to.)
    Also, remember that the wrists line up with the crotch =)

I want to applaud you on your patience, you are a good listener and take critique well =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks

Pixeldragon: I'll probably keep the belt where it is, but now you mention it's bit high...it's covering where the belly button would be. I went a head and extend the arms more so the wrists are closer to the crotch.

Thanks that means a lot to me.

Witch Model Sheet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very lovely. I think this is one hella character design. May I ask how you ink it (brush size, etc). I'm doing 3d relate also and agree that her arms could be a little bit higher, like 45 degree (away from the body so they won't get in your way when you're modeling).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re: Thanks

Thanks. I just made the arm changes.

As for the inks, I just scan in my pencils lines at 300 dpi, clean up it up in photoshop. I ink mostly in painter IX at a friends house using detailed airbrush or cover pencil (I'm still exploring to find a comfortable ink tool)

I outline everything at 3-4 brush size...everything looks boring until I restroke the underside with another 5-6 brush size stroke. Parts like the chin or brim of the hat I ink more heavily to pop out more. Photoshop works fine too, but it doesn't have the neat rotate option painter has. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the comments

Witch Model Sheet

Members who have read this thread: 1