CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Choose your CHOWracters - Multiple votes.

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android Migsta

49 45.37%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android Shadoman

7 6.48%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android Prophet

1 0.93%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android Fuuryoku

9 8.33%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android eriboss

14 12.96%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android Landauart

14 12.96%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android carotello

6 5.56%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android bryno_kanalola

2 1.85%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android nukleon

23 21.30%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android cookiedough

16 14.81%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android supervlieg

16 14.81%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android MasonL

8 7.41%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android TRASHY

2 1.85%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android gringoloco

9 8.33%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android mainloop

35 32.41%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android Artifex33

5 4.63%
  • CHOW #34 - VOTING - Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android Art2

16 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ROUND #34
    --------------------------
    Morganica - 1930's - the 1st Android
    He couldn't believe his eyes... in the middle of the night... it moved.
    He felt asleep and the sound of the whole installation being scratched... made him shiver. It bloody moves!!!!
    The professor already knew the name of his creation.
    He could not even consider the possibilities of what he created.
    Dark thoughts were in his mind...
    It was real... now what?
    Now... concept!

Topic elements:
    1 = 1930's
    2 = Android

Make sure your picture contains these - you will receive 5 VOTES for each topic covered.
    3 extra votes will be offered for the description.

--------------------------

I will consider the "topic votes" during this week depending on my time.
    Also - i will try to do my C&C round for the entries not taken to the poll.
    We had an awsome round with almost 30 entries - 17 were taken to the poll.
    Congratulations to ALL.

There were pics who took a lot of time yet not made it to the poll. I will do my best to comment all the entries in the following days.
    Yours,

Oblio

Last edited by Oblio; July 25th, 2006 at 07:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINAL

He couldn't believe his eyes... in the middle of the night... it moved.
    He fell asleep and the sound of the whole installation moving... made him shiver. It bloody moves!!!!
    The professor witnessed his creation working on itself, finishing what he had started.
    He could not even consider the possibilities of what he created.
    It was real... now what?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am so in on this
    Edit
    heres a preliminary sketch (not my final Illo)
    just to knock out an art deco sort of design
    i like it but it needs a few design tweaks
    just trying to keep it fast and loose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a few CHOW's, I'm back again XD !! (looking at Oblio*)

WOOT, Bumpskee is here also

Anyway, I'll just do my best and try to get in ^^
    Or else........ try again next time

EDIT FINAL:

EDIT: I received some nice feedback and I decided to change some stuff. I think it's ok since the poll thread is not created yet.

I did it, I've used my whole life to complete it. Yesterday, while I was painted her face, it moved, it bloody moved !
    I told it to sleep, shut it down, plugged in the cable to recharge her. I was sleepy.

The next morning,

I woke up. It was noisy. I opened my eyes and there it was. "My little child", and a lot of smoke.
    I see she's trying to walk. Her back is faced at me. I can see she's having trouble with walking. She's just like an innocent newborn child who knows nothing at all. It still has to grow and it needs guidance.

It noticed my presence and turned her face at me. Staring with a face like it has a lot of questions about things she doesn't understand.

I grabbed my hat and jacket, dressing her up. You wouldn't want a naked smoking android walking through your house do you? I lifted up my arms doing a pose like "what now?". Then it happened...

It copied me !! She used one of her arms to copy my pose !! (my piece captures the moment) This is AMAZING !!! I'm so amazed my mouth fell open. I can see lots of interesting and fun days awaiting us. I want to see how she'll develop. Let's go my sweet little Morganica...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my final.... (what a progress from my last wip)

Everything else around him just vanished asif it was an illusion!
    He only saw his creation standing in front of him.
    Things went in a flash through his mind.
    He knew that he'd created something that noone else had ever created before.
    The fine craftsmanship has to be thanked for because of his sernior blacksmith crew.
    Also possebilities came up in his mind.
    Making wealth with it?.. fame?.... army?..... or even world domination.....
    The only thing he could conclude was that is was real....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final

Shawn Adomanis
    www.shawnadomanis.com
    Sketchbook

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" – The Wizard of Oz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my Final.

Sparks flew and lights twitched, the thing had awoken..finally after all this time he had done it, he had created the first android. Morganica sat up on her cold table, turned her head to track the only warm, living thing in the room, her creator. Master and puppet, both locked in an intense unbreakable stare, thoughts running riot through each of there minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my final:
    From the Journal of Dr. Edward Fitzpatrick (1887-1931)
    Thursday March 15, 1928 - A tragedy
    Today, my daughter Morgane fell ill with pneumonia, the doctors aren't sure if she'll even last the night. All I can do is pray, I feel so helpless... she's only 17, why did it have to happen to someone so young?

Monday March 19, 1928 - Things are looking up
    They released Morgane from the hospital today, she's not fully recovered, but the doctors say with some bed rest and relaxation she'll make a full recovery in a few days.

Tuesday March 20, 1928 - A dark day
    Those damn doctors, curse them all, how could they let her die, how could they let my baby die. [Words Unintelligable, many scratched out beyond recognition]

Thursday November 15, 1928 - I have discovered a way
    I will bring her back, I have found the way, there is hope. I don't know how far this will take me, but I will bring her back.

[Many months, entries, and years go by in the journals, many failed experiments, many failed tries.]

Monday May 18, 1931 - It works!
    How appropriate, today would have been her 21st birthday. It's been over 3 years since she left me, but she finally came back last night. My baby has returned to me, but she's different...so different, but she's my baby. I will call her Morganica.

[Several months pass, and he grows accustomed to his new daughter. He keeps her within the house because he knows that the world would not understand.]

Wednesday September 16, 1931 - It can't
    It can't be happening again, I can't lose my baby again. They found out about her, they won't let her be, I must get her out of here. We must run away where we can never be found.

[Three days later the corpse of Dr. Edward Fitzpatrick, and what remained of his 'Morganica' were found in the woods by some hunters. Dr. Edward Fitzpatrick had died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the right temple. 'Morganica' must have been dismantled elsewhere, some parts were never found, and evidence she had been dragged was present in the mud nearby. 'Morganica' never functioned again despite many efforts to rebuild her.]

------

Updated Wednesday Thursday July 20, 2006.

My goal with doing the weekly exercises is to learn and refine. So in all of my images I will be trying to work on something that I feel I need to improve. C&C very welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally done. Here is my chow any crititism would be helpful for future chows.
    After many years,something went wrong. Its creator had to destroy it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final image for the activity, though I'm seriously contemplating taking it farther later.

"The inventor had worked for close to two decades trying to realize Capek's vision of the robot. The obsession was to prove both his greatest boon and bane however, when the Great Depression claimed the life of his daughter Morgan. The work kept him functional, but his grief and burning need to see his daughter again made him consider the unnatural. On a fateful day in 1935, working with the same feverish mad genius Shelley had ascribed to Frankenstein, he used elecricity to copy the contents of his dead daughter's mind to the android shell. Somehow, it worked. the diodes and vacuum tubes that had been barely motive before, began to move more and more smoothly. Soon the metal girl was moving with the same dancers grace and elegance of his lost daughter- not quite her, but close enough that he thought her ghost must be part of her"

I tried to evoke some art deco statuettes I had looked up images of and their flowing dancer lines, while adding an obvious dose of early 20th century technology in the joints and glowing vacuum tubes.
    -Fuu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINAL:

The professor felt something gnawing deep within his guts, the sound of his creation, his life’s work, screaming a curdling metallic cry from downstairs, cutting through the night like a scalpel through an eyeball.

"No no no, this is Wrong! This was never meant to be, it wasn't supposed to ever LIVE. They will be after me now for sure, and it...."

CLANG

He was commissioned to design an "android" by the government as the stench of war seeped slowly under the countries door. But he wasn’t supposed to build it - not yet!

CLANG

"The bloody thing is nuclear! And nobody knows about it except me"

CLANG

"Its not ready, I was going to shut it down after the last “accident” – no more people can die at the hands of this thing!

CREAK

The nuclear power when linked to “her” brain inside the machine were way too volatile a combination… Sometimes I believe she is tormenting me, coming back… no NO!

BZZt...
    HELLOoo DAaRLING bzTtt

…may god have mercy on all our souls..."

___

Eri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Welp here's mine...Had to rush her out before comicon. Ill post the story later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been super super busy, but I couldn't resist this one chow. Here is a quicky. Good job everyone, I think this is gonna be a fun round with lots of cool entries. Trevor, beautiful man. Hope you don't leave those legs out in the finish, it's looking a little top heavy right now. Eriboss, can't wait to see.

Augustus Lodwick, an empoverished british inventor, lost his wife to tuberculosis the winter of 1930. He gathered his belongings and moved to New York with his daughter, Morrigan. Upon his arrival, and thanks to a few contacts, he landed a job as a professor of science at NYU. Absorbed by his work, he failed to notice Morrigan's symptoms until it was too late. She died on a rainy night, plunging the professor into a deep depression that drove him mad. Overcome with grief, he gathered what he could of his daughters remains, with the intention of bringing her back to life. He was unable to preserve her organs, but her brain he managed to keep alive. He brought her back, inside the shell of her favorite porcelain doll, along with an intricate construction of wires, cogs, and unimaginable mechanisms even he could not remember how to make. Once the deed was done, and he only waited for the spark of life to manifest in her, he fell asleep, only to dream of the horror he had brought upon the face of earth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All done.

Dakka DaKKA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there guys
    It's a Final, and this is my first post on this forum...
    Tell me what u think!

A by Hawaiian's assembled from shipwreck-parts-robot in 1929,
    given life by weird-ancient-island-magic preformed by the main village Shaman,
    to protect the Hawaiians from the fierce-sea-gods (and crasy-westerners).

"When the shaman awoke the very next day, he heard something move in his hut...
    There was no doubt, no question... His ritual had succeeded!

Not long after, he realized that it was not his place, not his meaning to create life...
    He created out of hate! Nothing would come from his creation but hate!
    The gods would avenge this evil deed! He must destroy this creature before it was too late!

But it was... (buwhahahahahahaaaa!!!)

(ps. he looks trough the line on his face)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dad spent a lot of time in his workshop. We kids would fall asleep to the comforting sounds of his late-night tinkering and the familiar smell of Dad's ever-present Black Gold pipe tobacco. We dared not interrupt his work....ever since Mom left he'd been a bit more reclusive than usual. We were used to his 'projects', but this one had to be special. One night, Dad woke us up from our sleep....

'Kids, meet yer new mom!'

My brother and I were bleary-eyed...and I couldn't believe what I just heard. Was I dreaming?

'New...mom?' ' I blinked with amazement at the....thing....in front of me. 'Wha-'?

'Now see here boys....yer mom ran off with that no-good milkman. On account o' that I gotta keep up appearances I tell ya...besides, she's a looker ain't she?'

He looked at her thoughtfully and drew on his pipe.

'Dad...what does she do? Why did you make her?' I was actually impressed by Dad's clever use of household objects, strange as it was.

'She's an 'android', he said slowly, as if it was an important word. 'I call her Morganica...look, even kitty likes her!' Dad seemed to drift off in thought.

Suddenly he snapped to. 'Jules Verne himself would be proud....lookie here...she brought me a drink! Why thank you, Morganica!'

With that, he gleefully threw back a shot o' sauce and gave us the dopiest grin ever.

We all laughed at his crazy joke and welcomed Morganica, and the future, to our tiny home.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First Chow for me

Not sure how much i like my entry, but it was a good step to experiment a li'l. I had much fun doing this. Really love the entries so far.

My take:
    The good Professor was a well respected man, always sophisticated and intelligent. However, feeling lonely at times, he built himself Morganica: a bubbly, happy and cheerful android, which’d never leave his side. Every night before he’d go to bed, he’d plugged Morganica into a giant battery-like device in his lab, along with her faithful dogbot Jack.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my final

"Yes at last, my power source has finally arrived, the fragment of the meteor which conveniently fell of the back of that government truck, the last piece of my perfect revenge. Now it is only a matter of time before she’s charged, before my plans are put into order.

Whose designs are inefficient now Hastings?

We would have taken the worlds fair by storm, and finally gotten out grant, but my wife, that vamp, she ruined everything. Oh, she will rue the day she put on her glad rags and ran off with my assistant Hastings, laughing...

always laughing...

and with Hastings!? that bumbling fool, that fool that cracked her perfect porcelain face.

Well we'll see who's laughing now

Laughing when she breaks down their door"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I stole the "century" poster in the background, and the textures off the web.. don't know if this disqualifies me, but i had fun anyway.

story:

The cruel irony of life came to the scientist... That same cold, emotionless smile. The lack of passion. His new creation truly was the perfect replacement for the wife he had left... He now knew himself destined.. to share life with someone who would not share her life with him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The professor was sure he had it. The answer to creating artificial life! His terrible creature should be alive, but somehow it wasn't moving.

"It's horrible! I'm an idiot! I wasted my time on this forsaken creature! I'll never work for the army again, damn them! Damn their robot! Damn their doomsday plans!" he shouted.

While he was furiously looking for faults in the control panel of the droid, he didn't notice the flicker in the red eyes of the android behind him. First thoughts flowed into its intricate circuits. Slowly the creature moved its hand. The electronic brain of the creature began to speed up and questions formed in its metal head.

"What is all this? What is this small being before me? Why is it moving so quickly? Why is it so loud? Can I make it stop?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Commissioned for the worlds fair of 1939, Morganica was to represent the pinnacle of the machine age and its nobel intention to revive the economy. Sadly however, the beast in man over shadowed his beautiful dreams, and a world wide war condemned her to obscurity.

-Mason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course I had known the bakelite surface of it would be black. Ironically, until I clothed the mechanism out of a strange kind of modesty, the naked truth of what I had done had not occurred to me. What else had I done other than to reintroduce the scourge of slavery to the world? I was overcome with a rage of self loathing and fled the room. (Final)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries everyone! I had to enter this one.

Don't think I'm going to add much to this. This I think is going to be my final.

After tearing apart his old busted 1930's Philco refrigerator, Doctor Henry Jabbas finally found a perfect torso for his robot. It was at last alive!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my entry...

just in time!

Golden as heavean, Morganica could not tolerate becoming the mad scientist's maiden. She deserved more, she deserved the real world, not just being his Roman ages fantasy. "Liberate tu te me ex inferis" she remembered herself. "Save yourself from Hell". So she ran.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He couldn't believe his eyes. Ten years he had toiled to create his masterpiece. Revenge would soon be his! But first he needed more...

Something quick and fun. Thanks for the interesting topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hey here's my entry... I went for a lot of art deco, some erte, and Chiparus sculptures.. wanted to get that bronze look

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my effort after not drawing for a very long time. I apologise if the greyscale is wiggedy whack but I did this on an LCD.

cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Morganica

The golden sheen of her skin became shinier the more I handled her. The friction from my hands had, over the past several months, slowly polished out the flaws in the metal. Morganica, my experiment; my replacement for the child my estranged wife and I would never have. Perhaps if I'd payed her as much attention...

Put the childlike mechanism down. I'd taken to cradling it in my sleep, like a child's affectation, after the first month. It was always there the next morning. Refill the absinthe glass. Drain it. The small steps are necessary since she left. Just concentrate on what's in front of you, and keep sucking on the greenish bottle. The speakeasy barman swore it was the thing for the job.

I can't tell if I'd given Morganica two eyes dissimilar size, or if the absinthe had started working halfway through the second bottle. I'd tried to measure them a couple of times, but the jaws of the calipers seemed to open and close jocularly of their own accord.

Forget the glass. Can't find it anyway; just get the bottle and stumble off to the bed. Oh, wait, she took the bed with her. Figures. The baby's room--would have been the baby's room--has a small bed in it. That'll do. Make my way through the stale air and mustiness to the bed, and try to drain the last half of the absinthe. I must have dropped it somewhere on the way here. Scrunching up on the bed brings sleep...

I wake to a noise I can't remember. Oh God, my fucking head! I try to pry open my eyes against the weight of the light coming from the lamp in the corner. Didn't remember turning that on. She must have come in to get some of her stuff, and couldn't wake me, so she left the light on. Probably left a note somewhere. Go look.

Blocking the doorway to the hall is a diminuitive golden child, closely clutching a stuffed toy. Morganica? The absinthe must have had something in it I hadn't bargained for. What...?

She clanks a step closer to me, round, red-lensed eyes brilliant with the reflection of the lamp; almost teary. She clutches her long-haired toy closer to her, rubbing her cheek against it affectionately. As she does so, the toy turns in her arms, the long hair falls back, and rather than the button-eyes of a teddy bear, my wife's slack-lidded green irises stare back at me from her severed head, underneath long, red hair matted with her blood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, is this thread still open? I thought it was due on Sunday. Maybe I'll get a chance to Ink this...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.