Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How do I develop a style?

Thanks

Question How do I develop a style?

Hi there, I need help!
    I'm practicing art hoping to become a computer games artist in the future, but I need to know how I can develop my own style.
    I missed out on any formal art training beyond GCSE level, and I need to know how I can find a distinctive style to call my own.
    Can anyone help me?

Thanks
    Beck

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm practicing art hoping to become a computer games artist in the future, but I need to know how I can develop my own style.
    theres way more important things you gotta worry about before that. the good thing is, once you've got that stuff out of the way, you'll already have a style.

practice a lot, and look at lots of different art. thats all there is to it.

Thanks
    you answered your own question with your thread title...."develop"
    thats how you "find a distinctive style to call my own"
    you develop it.

theres not fast track really...

Thanks
    start posting work

you got a long road ahead of you.

Thanks
    "Style" is all about rhythm of application, a fancy term for brushstrokes. The brush or pencil or stylus is an extension of you and your hand. It's alot like how your handwriting and your signature are unique to you. But when you were little and they were teaching you to write everybody had the same handwriting because they made us all use those grids and trace the letter the "right" way and then copy it over and over. Eventually you became confident enough in writing your letters that you broke away from that and started writing your own way.

Style is the same way. It's not about color choices or subject matter, because those things are basically the same for all of us. Style is about making your own individual mark.

I know it's frustrating to get "it just takes time". I'm still learning as well and people tell me that too and I don't want to hear it.
    I'm not so good with the advice...Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

my painting blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Firefly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yes the people in her answered your question, your style will develop on your own as you practice..

copying an other person's style is pretty cheap so that's not what you want to do.

a good thing to do is

-do loads of life drawings and observe the world around you, remember what you like about your own drawings, remember what you like in people's faces/poses, architecture, culture etc...

-look at as much artists(painters, illustrators, sculpture..) you can, remember what you like about. Don't limit yourself, keep an open mind about everything. It's not because you dislike an artists work in general, that you can't like a specific element in it (like the way he draws noses for example)

-study anatomy/old masters/colors etc. etc.

throw it in a hat, mix it all together..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you look at other peoples art and find inspiration. An artist i have been following for ages has had a great impact on me. but i have my own twists in it-- so just draw-and draw other people drawings-and good luck. what ever you do----draw

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly
    "Style" is all about rhythm of application, a fancy term for brushstrokes.
    Yes, let's totally ignore iconicity vs. realism, proportions, color palette...
    Quote Originally Posted by Main Loop
    theres way more important things you gotta worry about before that.
    Because of course artists have to pass this test of having mastered the basics of art before they're allowed to have their own style, and we can just assume anyone who isn't already a professional artist flunks pld:

I think that while the basics are worth studying, style is also worth studying. To study it: explore different historical art movements and individual people's art, make a list of the ones you particularly like, analyze their traits, figure out which ones you like, and experiment with putting them in your own work.

Thanks
    There are many things that are a part of style that one wouldn't 'get' if they were just studying someone else's work. Yes, Art history is important, but if you don't truely realize how to portray form on a 2d plane, then you won't understand how/where the oldies did it as well. If you don't understand color theory, you won't see the differences in Saturation or value, you'll just see "Red... Blue... brown... green... yellow.."

Sun+shadow... Your style emerges through your understanding of the Basics, they are not seperate entities, like you stated.

Thanks
    Style is the byproduct of technique (or combinations of techniques) and techniques are developed because they satisfy an idea or concept.

Search for the ideas and concepts, in finding techniques to express them you will naturally develop a style. It is a long process and when pushed artificially tends toward insincere mannerism or peculiarity.

Good luck.

-Flynt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    Sun+shadow... Your style emerges through your understanding of the Basics, they are not seperate entities, like you stated.
    I disagree - I believe your style is mostly based on your taste and has little to to with your abilities. Even beginner artists can know that they love a particular style and want to produce that, even though they're not yet capable of producing much of anything.

Thanks
    Sunandshadow,

I think Pixeldragoon has the right idea.

Here is why I think so.

You can know what styles attract you regardless of skill level. Yet imitation of the techniques that produce those styles, without the learned understanding of the concepts that those techniques express, will be poor imitations.

An example:

A former professor of mine told me a story about being asked to look at some drawings that people were attributing to Raphael to see if they were fakes or not. They had a very similar look. But the moment he saw them he knew they were fakes. The reason? He said the overlaps of certain line contours were not correct for the anatomy-a mistake Raphael would not have made.

-Flynt

Thanks
    A poor work of art in a particular style and a good work of art in a particular style are still both in that style, as demonstrated by the fact that multiple people agreed that the fakes did look similar to Raphael's art.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast