batman sketch

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: batman sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

batman sketch

let me know your thoughts/help on this. im eventually going to paint it and i did rush the hands so thats why they dont look to good. thanks in advance.

batman sketch

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont' really understand what Batman is doing. Is he sitting on a box? Or is it supposed to be a building? Cos he'd be a giant crushing some lego-town then.

You might wanna find some reference for the pose. The part of his thigh/chest/arm is really confusing. His arms are also 2 different sizes, his left arm and hand are wayyyyyyy longer then his right arm. His pointy ears are also rather uneven.

I like the smug look on his face though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hes spose to be crouched upon some sort of ledge which i obviously havent drawn yet. his head is tilted and thats why the pointy ears are uneven.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he looks very squashed.... his upper torso is like 4 times bigger than his lower

...Dormant Walker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea i didnt relize that till i scaned it. i agree though and i think ill just edit it usinf photoshop then draw in his mid section so he doesnt look so squahed. thanks for the comments so far though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i started to paint in this one. ill post as i progress and please let me know your thoughts along the way.

batman sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i took a break for a bit and i got some more detail. and like ive said im welcome to opinion i really want to get better. thanks again.

batman sketch

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by njo
    i really want to get better.
    If you really want to get better then you'll go back to the original drawing and fix all the things that are wrong with it before you even think of taking it into the computer.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta double up what Elwell wrote. I've heard it from pros in the biz, the tighter(including as correct as possible drafstmanship wise) the piece is by the time you take it to ink, or the scanner or to paint will be that much less of a hassle to deal with.
    Bats here is suffering acute origami syndrome. The human body, let alone superhero body can't fold itself as you've done so here. And no amount of photoshop (with the exception of erasing and completely redrawing it) can correct that hiccup.
    If you choose to charge ahead full steam you'll notice that things will get more difficult to resolve in an exponential nature. You'll see one thing is off then another that links to it..and so forth.
    Take Elwell's advice to heart..rethink this, and correct all the mistakes. Call this one a thumb from which to work off of if you like.
    Hope this isn't too harsh, just trying to help.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i did lift his midsection on up, up. so i fixed the squashed look i feel. everything elsed mentioned ill work on once ive reached that area. and i thank you for though helpful words but could you help me more with what im working on now which is painting his head. thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketch out like a wire frame and draw the parts you dont see as well. also geta ref.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i did lift his midsection on up, up. so i fixed the squashed look i feel.
    No.
    everything elsed mentioned ill work on once ive reached that area.
    Bad plan.
    and i thank you for though helpful words but could you help me more with what im working on now which is painting his head. thank you.
    Go ahead and do whatever you want. It's your time and you picture, and if it's bringing you joy that's wonderful. But no one is going to give you the kind of help you're asking for, because they recognise that it would be a waste of their time to do so.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouchie!

Don't be so hard on the young lad. Let him do what he wants, I'm sure he'll spot his mistake later on. This remind me of my friend who taught animation at one of the university (sorry can't give out the name.)

Basically she had a nervous break-down because her students just won't listen (well she's such a perfectionist too.) SO... she told the whole class to drop out and go take something else... I think that really scared them good.

-----------------------------------------------
    "Life is anything that dies when you stomp on it"

www.s-o-t-e.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with Elwell that the point of critique is to be able to fix things. If people know you're not going to fix it anyway, there seems no point to using their time to critique it.

There are still some major issues with the structure of the drawing, and it's very hard to see past them to "what you're working on now". It's like starting with a drawing of a tree and asking people for help on how to paint it to look like a bananna. That's obviously an exaggeration, but I hope it makes the point. Your drawing has promise. I suggest, like some of the previous people, that you go back and fix some issues before painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say I agree with what others may have said but for someone who is obviously just starting out you did a good job. You had an idea in your head and you did your best to put it on paper.

The next time, and there is always a next time, I would choose an easier pose until you are more familar with anatomy and the limits of the body. There is a lot of hidden features and forshortening going on with a crouching pose. But when drawing a pose like this it's important to DRAW THROUGH the body like it's invisible. Draw lightly and put down darker marks when you are more confident that they are the correct lines.

Buy these two books: Constructive Anatomy and Bridgman's Life Drawing both by George Bridgman. They are both very cheap on Amazon and may be available at your local library. I've done a quick scribble showing Bridgman's technique found in Life Drawing. He goes into more detail in the book but it's a pretty simple concept. Draw three blocks to represent the head, torso and hips but don't have them always facing the same direction and angle, mix it up a bit. I like to start with a line of action that is an imaginary curve going through the body, I attach the three blocks to the line, always thinking about balance.

Keep experimenting with painting but good drawing is first and foremost when it comes to creating art.

Good Luck!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sup njo. Yeah, i maybe a bit late but i have to agree what everyone is saying. But if i can say one thing about it i would say go back to learning foundation. As a beginner "jumping the gun" is the most dangerous thing you can do. Spending countless hours on painting something that has many basic fundamental problems is something you shouldn't do. Open up your anatomy book and start studying the basics of proportions, poses, and relationship of body parts. Sorry this advice is harsh but if you want to get better work on the basics.

-Maerrick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you rogfa that was extremely helpful. im not new to drawing ive been doing it since i could hold a pencil, im just new to designing my own stuff and painting. thanks again for the comments i will take your advice and go back to the drawing board. thanks again rogfa.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it, but as enough people have already point out it has it's problems. Then no piece is perfect, such is the joy of art I believe. It can be whatever you want it. it is your drawing/painting and it's your choice to do whatever you like to it. But if you're going for realism.. better to fix it now, then dislike it later? Either way, nice useage of the gray value scales, and likely a little black too on the painting for what I see. It's giving the face tons of character.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.