Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Point and Glick. Another tragic tale of wasted youth.

Thanks
    thanks again guys...

Onir, I got on facebook finally and found Emily, what's your name?

Thank you Jason! Is suppose working with the greys will help me focus on tone and form rather scratching out lines....

Bojee, and everyone else for that matter, what do you suggest I work on... I try to focus but I need help across the board so I end up drifting... plus I use art to relax so I often end up just doodling... <shakes head violently> see, I'm drifting again...
    so anatomy maybe? Do more bridgman and hogarth studies? maybe more technical drawings like farvus suggested...

few more... the first two pages (including the misshapen head) were all from life... well, maybe the visible skull not so much...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey glikster, cool update. I do think doing more hogarth or bridgman would help with anatomy, as well as just continuing to sketch people from life. technical work would definitely help clean up your lines (seems to do that for me; I need to do more honestly lol), as well as help your eye get more adapted to perspective (never hurts to improve in that area eh? hehe). I really like the bottom guy on the second page (the page on the right), has a nice feel to him.

keep up the great work man! oh and my name is William Justin King on facebook. I think I saw you on facebook honestly (picture was the same as your avatar), but wasn't 100% sure. either way, see ya on facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    I like your last moleskine sketches. This one with female face has nice expression. The skull sketch looks great too. Draw more of skulls and maybe try tighter shading beacause some of your sketches look like rushed a bit.

Thanks
    personally i think you are still scribbling too much...esp with that brush pen/pen you need to watch out with your line economy. that is not to say everything has to be done in like one nice clean stroke but some areas could be cleaned up by using less lines or making the lines go in the right direction. you are flattening a lot of the forms by facing them the wrong way.

also remember heads aren't completely round...i think that the way loomis puts it out is a good idea...prolly hogarth or bridgman also will help you...but the point is that you need to make some jaws more structured and masculine, as well as the tops of the heads. the car is a little flat too...needs to have more angles. a good idea is maybe to look at unsmoothed 3d models of cars to understand how they are structured.

i think for faces you should use a very light (similar to your moleskin color), prismamarker-thick type of pen/marker to block-shade in things and then a smaller brush pen for shading details. you should outline first in a light color if you're not doing so already and then build up the color. try to limit your shading with the dark brush pen unless you get a thicker one too. that will force you to think a little more about planes and line economy...maybe. hopefully that wasn't too hard to understand...i'm kind of tired now

edit: oh! and good job on making your characters a little less short...i would still lengthen the bodies/legs of some of your chars, but that may just be an aesthetical preference.
    Last edited by hp; September 16th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanks for the ultra-helpful crits guys!!
    Emily, you're a treasure trove!
    Farvus and Onir (for some reason I find it weird calling you William or any diminutive thereof) thanks!! I will start working on that. We're moving in exactly one week so things are hectic, plus the LSATs are in 2 weeks...

and now for something completely different...I got artrage 2... sweet app....

quick gesture like drawing... from mah head...ugh... obscenely elongated torso....

Thanks
    oo nice gesture man, I like the flow in it; only real crit I can say is watch proportions and how flexible some joints are. I can definitely see an arm moving in a curved manner like that, especially in a very quick movement like dancing. the way the head is bending confuses me a little honestly; looks like it's angled in the opposite direction of the torso. might just be the way I'm looking at it though. nice work either way, cleanly done might I add!

oh and don't worry about calling me Will or William or anything hehe, I mostly go by Justin anyway

Thanks
    i LOVE the line weight and movement in this piece. you should do maybe like 10...and then choose your favorite and draw it "accurately," but try not lose any of the drama in it...i found in life drawing that my favorites were always quick gestures - when i had to do plotting and sighting for 3 hrs at a time the picture always turned out stiff.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    thanks, I'm gonn abe doing more of those...

a few more thingies...

Thanks
    oooo great update! seriously man these all look wonderful; love the confidence of your line in all of them as well the construction lines I see being used. I especially like the shading on the first and last one.. only crit I can offer you is to maybe continue toning down the amount of scribbling in some of these. the only one of these I really see any scribbling in is the lady honestly; kinda takes away from the form of her hair imo. once again, great update!

Thanks
    I like the gesture from the last post, and the robot guy and woman with the big hair from this one.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    Good job! It seems like you improved recently. Just like Onir said, these drawings look much more confident. My favourite is the last one with guy in glasses.
    Maybe try to search for more head planes

Thanks
    dude those heads are AWESOME....watch how big the head is on the first guy with his head tilted...it's too big from the eyes up.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Haha, the emo boy is sad (he even has the glasses and the hair over one eye!)

The faces are coming along really well! Good work.

Quick Crit on the buildings and rooms though, check that all parallel lines are parallel, tilted lines make things look like they're leaning.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast