NEW USERS PLEASE READ : Graphics Tablet / Digital Painting Info. UPDATED!!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

NEW USERS PLEASE READ : Graphics Tablet / Digital Painting Info. UPDATED!!

For all the new artists coming to the website ...

Also referred to as a digitizing tablet, graphics pad, or drawing tablet, a tablet is an alternate type of input device that can be used in place of, or in conjunction with, a mouse, trackball, or other pointing device. The tablet consists of two parts, a flat surface for drawing, and a pen, stylus, or puck that is programmed to work with the tablet. Usually, you also get a pen holder, and some tablets even come with a cordless mouse that works on the tablet surface.

The most popular brand of tablet, for any use is a wacom brand tablet. They come in 3 different classes of tablet, with various sizes...

What model is best for me?

Best for those who are looking to experiment with digital art, but don't want to drop alot of cash on an expensive tablet incase it's not thier cup of tea...

Not so much for digital art, but for business pruposes. East changes to spreadsheet documents and the like.

A very basic, small and crude, but ok tablet for beginners, and have a very nice price tag...

The most commonly used model by artists, both professional for serious art students. Very good control and nive sizes available. They even have a new tablet made for widescreen monitors. Moderately priced.

Some notes about Intuos -

Intuos with serial ports are no longer supported for 64 bit systems officially by Wacom.

Intuos Models 1-3 have 1024 levels of pressure
    Intuos Model 4 has 2048 levels of pressure

Intuos Models have programmable shortcuts that you can use and change on a per program basis (where other lines of Wacom except the Cintiq do not have this ability). This varies where you can program the shortcuts.
    Intuos 1-2 have it on the top bar.
    Intuos 3 has them as express keys and strips - the number of keys varies in the size of tablet purchased
    Intuos 4 also has express keys and as well as a touch wheel. - the number of keys varies in the size of tablet purchased OLED display is available on medium, large and extra large.

Intuos 4 has a wireless version of tablet.

The amazing Cintiq. An incredible machine that allows you to draw right into a screen built into the tablet. Very expensive. When used by a professional, it can be used to make incredible peices of work. Overkill for new artists, or those not too experienced with digital art. To my knowledge, seeing a Cintiq is not a common thing,

UPDATE: Might be old news to some, but Wacom also has a couple new models. the Bamboo, Bamboo Pen and Bamboo Fun.
    Both very affordable, small and well worth every cent. I friend it's great for travel with a laptop!

Bamboo

Notes about Bamboo -
    This model has gone through several revisions.
    Some older models of Bamboo only have 512 levels of pressure.
    The predecessor to the Bamboo are known as Graphire tablets.

Bamboo Pen

Notes about Bamboo Pen -
    Bamboo Pen has no eraser end on the stylus
    Bamboo Pen only has 512 levels of pressure

Bamboo Pen and Touch

Notes about Bamboo Pen and Touch -
    This tablet costs more than the Bamboo Pen
    Bamboo Pen and Touch has an eraser end of the stylus
    Bamboo Pen and Touch has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity.

Bamboo Fun

Some notes about Bamboo Fun -
    There is the Bamboo Fun and Bamboo Craft
    The difference between these two models are the size.
    Bamboo Fun is a smaller tablet equivalent to 4x6 (inches of active surface - like an Intuos small)
    Bamboo Craft is the larger tablet equivalent to 6x8 (inches of active surface - like an Intuos medium)
    Both tablets have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity and come with software for beginners.

What about Software?!
    Some very popular software, which is pretty much the standard to use with a tablet are Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter, and growing in popularity, Autodesk Sketchbook Pro.

There are also a number of freeware programs out there like ARTRAGE and ALCHEMY

Don't worry about the price tag right away.. most of these companies will give 30 day trials, to see if the software if right for you.. and some are FREE! So just get painting!

I've never done digital painting before!
    Now you have some info on the tablet, but where to get started!? Plenty of helpful videos, info and advice right here on CA.

THE ART DEPARTMENT / CONCEPTART.ORG
    digital painting demos / instructional videos

Here are some threads that may help you start out when you purchase a new tablet

bumskee's excellent Digital Painting in Photoshop thread.

An older thread with forum users discussing different types of tablets.

And check out Android's (Andrew Jones) personal website. To see some of the advantages thatdigital art has. www.androidjones.com

UPDATE: Customizing Express Key Functions.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...698#post973698

Feel free to add anything, y'all.

Oh... and keep clear of lensflares

CHEERS!
    -Loren

Last edited by Arshes Nei; June 23rd, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stuck it.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

4. The Following User Says Thank You to magicgoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    YEHAA!!! This should be made bold size 36 letters, so all newcomers can see it

Sweet, thanks!!!

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Fantastic! Someone had to do it sooner or later. Good job Interceptor!

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    push button => recieve bacon !

a great idea to make this thread since the are so many ppl asking about tablets

I might add that buying a tablet doesn't make you better at drawing nothing will be magicly happening to your drawingskills just because you can now use a cpu like a sketchpad...
    sad but true skill needs practice not money (maybe it's not that sad

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    But What Brushe Do Marko Use Kthx !!??

Thanks
    there's also a 4th wacom, less well known but bloody cheap, the BizTablet, previously known as the PenTablet.

http://www.wacom.com.sg/products/biztablet/feature.html

the drawing area is rather small, slightly larger than a credit card, but it's only S$70, less than half the price of a graphire, recommended for those that want to try a tablet but can't spare any cash.

Thanks
    Thanks! I was needing more info on these! I feel slightly less like a noob now, just slightly!

Thanks
    well if you have any questions, give anyone of us a shout

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I thought i'd add a little piece of advice that i recently learned over at polycount:

_for intuos users. this doesnt work with the graphire_

If you're using zbrush or mudbox and you're having trouble painting smoothly (you get these annoying "z-pops" everywhere) try going to your tablet properties and double click the intuos 3 icon. switch to data recognition mode.
    (i think this might mess up the wacom mouse, but who uses that anyways? If you really need it just switch back.)

Its supposed to help for other programs as well, like photoshop and painter, but i cant say i noticed much of a difference in photoshop. I dont have painter so i havent checked there.

//edit: interceptor, my first tablet was a wacom volito, i dont see that in your list. You might wanna add that, its a very basic, small and crude, but ok tablet for beginners, and have a very nice price tag.

Last edited by Jason Manley; April 30th, 2009 at 06:59 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    I thought i'd add a little piece of advice that i recently learned over at polycount:

_for intuos users. this doesnt work with the graphire_

If you're using zbrush or mudbox and you're having trouble painting smoothly (you get these annoying "z-pops" everywhere) try going to your tablet properties and double click the intuos 3 icon. switch to data recognition mode.
    (i think this might mess up the wacom mouse, but who uses that anyways? If you really need it just switch back.)

Its supposed to help for other programs as well, like photoshop and painter, but i cant say i noticed much of a difference in photoshop. I dont have painter so i havent checked there.

//edit: interceptor, my first tablet was a wacom volito, i dont see that in your list. You might wanna add that, its a very basic, small and crude, but ok tablet for beginners, and have a very nice price tag.
    Omg, I was just randomly trying this just to see what happens, and it totally helped to get the lag off in Painter. I can set it to enhanced ghost brushing now without any hiccups. Even with music going on in the background and everything. o_o Thanks!

I wonder what the difference is. Just better data recognition? It didn't harm my mouse at all by the way.

Thanks
    So...I had a graphire4 for a few years. My wire was turning green in some spots and just went out on me... The pressure sensitivity was 512 and I was thinking about getting a bamboo pen and touch. It is the most reasonable price at the moment, but I was hoping to get some info on whats in the market.

I always try to make something cool to go here...

Thanks
    Heh, I wish I could afford that, but that's gonna be a long while from now. But that does sound like quite a niftly tool there.
    Thanks for the heads up.

"The last thing you shall see is the mask I shall place on your face. Now laugh...laugh from my wonderful gas...and conclude yourself into my world."
    --Dr.Killjoy--

Thanks
    Well actually, the graphire models are pretty inexpensive. You can find them for around 90$ Canadian.

Thanks
    the biztablet should be about $40 US or less.

Thanks
    Thank you Captain! I'm glad you made this section, cause I've grown tired of my graphire and it's hard for me to get into digital with so many restrictions (I got a 6x8 graphire 3). Anyway, thanks again, I'm eyeing that Intuos, sounds like what I'm looking for -

- Visions

Thanks
    Anybody have any feedback on the original intuos (GD)? Looking into getting one for a good deal and wanted some feedback?

- Visions

Thanks
    Nevermind, answered my own question. Here's someones in-depth review of wacoms and graphires, pretty Up-to-date -

http://motorsportsartist.com/wacom_info.html

- Visions

Thanks
    Thanks for the update, visions.

Thanks
    Anybody know about UC- Logic tablets? Looks like a good bargain on one and wanted to know about quality in comparison to Wacom. If someone could hook me up with an answer soon that would be cool -

- Visions

Last edited by Mr. Visions; September 4th, 2006 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Ah, didn't see this thread, thanks for info!

Thanks
    awesome. i have yet to use a tablet

but before that for two years i have practicing my own skills with a mouse first. I believe that if you cant do much without a tablet, then it can prove difficult until used for a long while

Thanks
    Personally, I think using a mouse for digital work woudl totally turn you off to working digitally though. Working with a mouse and pen tablet are worlds apart.

Thanks
    So, getting this one is a bad idea?

http://www.techfresh.net/gadgets/com...aphics-tablet/
    (Wacom Bamboo)

Iunno, too small? bad dpi?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Heh. No. You're replying to a year-old thread, and the Bamboo is quite new. As far as I know, it's a good, low-cost tablet.

Frankly, I like my cheapo Graphire at home better than my Intuous at work. I think the antivirus software at work fights with the tablet software; I lose cursor for seconds at at time. "Seconds" doesn't sound like much, but trust me: if you read the headline "Boston Woman Goes Berserk in Cubicle; Injuries Reported" it'll be me.

I'm a miniaturist at heart, but I prefer a small tablet.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    No harm in replying to an old thread rather than having yet another 'what tablet should I get' thread... maybe I'll update sometime soon

This thread was made before release of the wacom bamboo. I have a bamboo I keep with my talbet to be portable. I still prefer my intuos when working for long periods at a time, because I find the surface to be a bit smoother. But I've really had no problems with the bamboo.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    No harm in replying to an old thread rather than having yet another 'what tablet should I get' thread... maybe I'll update sometime soon

This thread was made before release of the wacom bamboo. I have a bamboo I keep with my talbet to be portable. I still prefer my intuos when working for long periods at a time, because I find the surface to be a bit smoother. But I've really had no problems with the bamboo.
    Okay! Thanks

Thanks
    I have a general question on the wacoms. Does the actual drawing surface scale up/down when you zoom in/out, or does it stay relative at 1:1 (screen size : drawing size) no matter what?

Also how much tracking does the pen actually have? Will it only move your cursor only on contact, or can it track with out any?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    D'Freeze: the surface stays analagous to the screen (top left corner of the drawing area corresponds to the top left of the monitor, and so on) and doesn't change as you zoom in and out. You can adjust how sensitive it is; I can raise my stylus about 1/2" off the surface before it stops tracking.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,444 Times in 3,656 Posts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 111