NEW USERS PLEASE READ : Graphics Tablet / Digital Painting Info. UPDATED!! - Page 3

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys and girls ^^
    I'm not the sharpes spoon in the box so I always prefer asking ppl ^^

If anybody knows or have the contact stuff to the most wonderfull singer in the known universe please give her this... plxOr
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I added some notes to the various models of Wacom tablets since many revisions on the Bamboo line and Intuos might raise some questions about pressure sensitivity and shortcuts. I also tried to explain the difference between several Bamboos because Wacom has revamped that product line a few times which can cause more confusion for those who have older models.

I miss Wacom's comparison chart tool, and maybe I'll see if there's a way to have this back so people can look at what features vary from model to model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any one heard of Tooya pro?
    Any one heard of the brand and or bought it? I got it as a Christmas present a couple years ago. I haven't really looked at it 'til now but I'm new to tablet related topics since I'm mostly traditional but i want to improve some on my tech savyness and digital skills. Any reviews of this tablet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the Intuos doesn't support 64-bit, and Photoshop CS5 requires 64-bit, how does that work out? I was planning on getting a 64-bit laptop in October so I could get CS5 in January.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    If the Intuos doesn't support 64-bit, and Photoshop CS5 requires 64-bit, how does that work out? I was planning on getting a 64-bit laptop in October so I could get CS5 in January.
    It's the serial port versions that's not supported. Regular USB versions of Intuos are supported in 64bit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ninjamupp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjamupp View Post
    It's the serial port versions that's not supported. Regular USB versions of Intuos are supported in 64bit.
    That's a relief, thank for letting me know. I apologize for being such a Noob, but can you explain to me the difference between the regular USB version and the serial port version?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Serial port is much slower and hardly ever used nowadays — I've never seen a Intuos with serial port myself so I assume it only applies to the older versions. Serial port can't power anything either so those versions must have an extern power source. This is how the cable looks like at the end:
    NEW USERS PLEASE READ : Graphics Tablet / Digital Painting Info. UPDATED!!

Anyway, I don't think you might find a tablet with serial port connection unless you shop at the second hand market.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since this thread has been currently replied to I may as well add my recommendation/observations.

I am by no means a good painter but, I have been in school for nearly 2 years and do quite a bit of work with Intuos 4's at school. Photoshop, Mudbox, Maya, Painter.

I have the older Bamboo Fun Medium tablet (512 lvls) and in an effort to move to something that could do detailed work I went with the Monoprice 10x6.25 tablet and ordered the optional replacement pen. (It's different from the one that comes with the Tablet)

I don't know about the new Bamboo tablets but the MonoPrice tablet completely runs circles around the bamboo. With the Bamboo I always had lag, and poor control. I simply can't do any detail work with the thing at all. However, the Monoprice does a really great job even when compared to the Intuos 4's we have at school. They aren't as good but, I certainly don't feel crippled by the Monoprice. I do feel crippled by the Bamboo. That isn't to say the Monoprice can do super detail work but, it does much better than the older Bamboo.

Last edited by wwx; September 13th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the information, I have just decided I need a tablet...and it's so confusing knowing which to get. A friend of mine purchased one recently and then sold it within a few days.... I was worried about doing the same thing...my purse isn't bursting with money so I dont want to spend a wad of cash and then have my husband get at me for wasting money on something that I can't use!

My brain is still working....honest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I need an urgent help with graphic tablet issue

I'm reposting it from a thread I'd started in the "Other Hardware" section, cause I desperatly need your help ASAP guys. Sorry for a lack of Wacom fidelity...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone!

I'm in crysis here, and I hope maybe one (if any) of you will be able to offer me a solution to my problem.
    I'm a graphic designer working with an Aiptek HyperPen 12000U on daily basys. Yesterday I've upgraded my comp from Windows XP PRO to Windows7 and from CS4 to CS5, and I was all jolly and drolly, but my tablet went all crazy! My pointer has splitten in two and my pen's working area has shrunk from A4 to 3x4 cm.
    Of cause I thrashed the web for possible solution but I'd only found that my problem is pretty common with other users around the globe. Now I know, that 12000U is not working properly with 64 bit softwear and also modern (sorry XP) operating systems.
    But maybe, you'd heard of any up-to date drivers for this tablet?
    My 12000U is realy great and relyable, and it's a shame to bury it becouse of lack of a driver... And I realy can't afford myself to buy a new tablet right now.
    Please somebody, HELP ME!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why you posted here rather than a new topic.

With a minute or two's research, I found that Adesso market the same tablet under a diffrent name and they have up to date drivers I think. Try them.

http://www.adesso.com/en/section-blo...-faq-list.html

Also read the review by JD Wayne in this review for installation.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to joeparis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by joeparis View Post
    I don't know why you posted here rather than a new topic.

With a minute or two's research, I found that Adesso market the same tablet under a diffrent name and they have up to date drivers I think. Try them.

http://www.adesso.com/en/section-blo...-faq-list.html

Also read the review by JD Wayne in this review for installation.
    Thank you for a prompt reply!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can someone update this thread? As I see that the last update on the first page
    was done over a year ago and I am sure technology has vastly change. Or perhaps
    someone can answer my question.

I have been looking seriously at the Intuos models as directed here for a beginner,
    but there is this thought of drawing on a tablet and looking up at the screen; where,
    I am sure some hand eye coordination will be required. Yes, I agree this is a lot
    better than a mouse, but I like the thought of drawing and seeing the results on
    the same screen. Which, according to this thread, is a little too much for the beginner.

Is it? I would think with the products coming out (i.e. Surface, Galaxy, etc) that this
    would be the norm for Digital Art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeanimator View Post
    Can someone update this thread? As I see that the last update on the first page
    was done over a year ago and I am sure technology has vastly change. Or perhaps
    someone can answer my question.

I have been looking seriously at the Intuos models as directed here for a beginner,
    but there is this thought of drawing on a tablet and looking up at the screen; where,
    I am sure some hand eye coordination will be required. Yes, I agree this is a lot
    better than a mouse, but I like the thought of drawing and seeing the results on
    the same screen. Which, according to this thread, is a little too much for the beginner.

Is it? I would think with the products coming out (i.e. Surface, Galaxy, etc) that this
    would be the norm for Digital Art.
    Mainly because these tablets are still new and have limitations. The reason it's a bit too much for a beginner the biggest issue for a beginner is learning how to draw. While you can do both digital and traditional at the same time, beginners will get caught up in the limitations of these tablets and blame that for their own progress instead of well, drawing. The best mode of learning to draw right now still edges to traditional materials.

You'll get caught up in layer modes, trying to use shortcuts and really and honestly from a person that like technology getting a pencil and paper and drawing is still the best method. It's the least distracting.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Arches,

Good point. I re-read the thread because, I guess, I am bent on getting something.
    Today, I took one my sketches and attempted to paint it with GIMP but with a mouse.
    It's great, but extremely tedious.

I can see where digital art is way more efficient than that traditional methods, but
    I think I find myself doing a sketch on paper first, scan it in, and then painting it.
    It is probably in-efficient but that is what I am experiencing at the moment.

Now in re-reading the top of this thread, there is noted items for the beginner.
    Shouldn't the beginner find the middle ground in these tablets? Meaning, price
    and ability (of pad). Which, I am thinking, is where the Intuos is at? Besides,
    price, why would any of these instruments be classified as "for beginners"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Arches,

Good point. I re-read the thread because, I guess, I am bent on getting something.
    Today, I took one my sketches and attempted to paint it with GIMP but with a mouse.
    It's great, but extremely tedious.

I can see where digital art is way more efficient than that traditional methods, but
    I think I find myself doing a sketch on paper first, scan it in, and then painting it.
    It is probably in-efficient but that is what I am experiencing at the moment.

Now in re-reading the top of this thread, there is noted items for the beginner.
    Shouldn't the beginner find the middle ground in these tablets? Meaning, price
    and ability (of pad). Which, I am thinking, is where the Intuos is at? Besides,
    price, why would any of these instruments be classified as "for beginners"?
    It's Arshes, (but you're welcome)

It says that the intuos is more for professionals and those more serious with art. There are increased levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt and extras like different stylus available that aren't on the introductory tablets like a bamboo.

It's not price so much as it's all too often people buy the most expensive tool on a whim thinking they'll be a better artist, and a few months later are trying to pawn off their purchase on these boards because...they found out art takes more work than purchasing a nearly 3,000 dollar Cintiq. I even seen them sell off the smaller ones too.

Tablet PCs going to dust because it wasn't what they expected - or they soon got tired, realized they were better off with pencil and paper, etc...

It's just more interference starting up an item when you need to do a quick study with pencil and paper. Batteries dying as you try to do a "plein air" watching your subject gone as you try to start up your pc , or a day that thing was just a bit on the heavy side, you're in a neighborhood that would probably steal the device.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post

It's Arshes, (but you're welcome)
    My apologies...typo...

Thank you for your input. I see quite a few Intuos on Ebay, yet not many claim
    to come with different stylus. As someone who only played with GIMP using a
    mouse, I am looking for the most cost effective tablet to get. It seems that I
    want to stick to Wacom in general; even though, I see others like DigiPro at very
    attractive prices.

What I wonder is, for a beginner, won't they get frustrated when they hit
    limitations (i.e. pen pressure sensitivity, stylus, others) or is that a beginner
    will not hit the limitations for a long time? Perhaps such a purchase (say a Bamboo
    whatever) would be good for several years for a beginner?

The reason why I ask this is because I ran into this situation in purchasing
    an animation package. The advertisements and post all said to get version A
    if you are beginner and version B if you are a working pro. So I purchased
    version A and immediately (within a month or two) started hitting limitations.
    Perhaps a sales gimmick, perhaps my passions was very ambitious, I don't
    know...

Thanks for you input everyone...

Santa will bring me an Intuos 3 (has a little crack, but looks good and works)...

Last edited by wannabeanimator; November 24th, 2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: To let folks know that I found an Intuos 3 at decent price...(I think)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My apologies...typo...

Thank you for your input. I see quite a few Intuos on Ebay, yet not many claim
    to come with different stylus. As someone who only played with GIMP using a
    mouse, I am looking for the most cost effective tablet to get. It seems that I
    want to stick to Wacom in general; even though, I see others like DigiPro at very
    attractive prices.

What I wonder is, for a beginner, won't they get frustrated when they hit
    limitations (i.e. pen pressure sensitivity, stylus, others) or is that a beginner
    will not hit the limitations for a long time? Perhaps such a purchase (say a Bamboo
    whatever) would be good for several years for a beginner?

The reason why I ask this is because I ran into this situation in purchasing
    an animation package. The advertisements and post all said to get version A
    if you are beginner and version B if you are a working pro. So I purchased
    version A and immediately (within a month or two) started hitting limitations.
    Perhaps a sales gimmick, perhaps my passions was very ambitious, I don't
    know...

Thanks for you input everyone...
    Current bamboos have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. I think that's quite a bit and that's how many intuos 3 and below used to have. You just don't get the other shortcuts and really is fine for most people. You could also get a monoprice tablet too if you desire. Wacom has been more of a trusted brand.

It was easier for me to get an intuos because I spent longer amounts of time with traditional tools - I used a mouse previously (with my wrong hand). Even with a tablet PC and spending time with cintiqs, there's still a detachment of not feeling completely natural. Drawing on the screen may make it easier for some people, but we're really not meant to look at a screen with such intensity (which drawing takes) for long periods of time. People often have their monitors up too bright. Some are sensitive to the refresh rates of a monitor. That's why I say get as much learning as you can with traditional tools before concerning yourself so much with a tablet.

I do also encourage using both, but because of injuries involved with working with a computer over long periods of time - it's why I encourage traditional media move. Less RSI and eye strain. People don't know when to take sufficient breaks from their PC and especially if you get caught up drawing.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook