Art: Trip to Isokari and other pictures from Finland

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trip to Isokari and other pictures from Finland

Last week I visited my brother who lives on the southwest coast of Finland. There's a great archipelago of thousands of rocky islands in this area, so I of course had to go check it out with him and my nephew. We visited one of the bigger islands, called Isokari (iso means big, kari means a rock or a shallow). There was an old lighthouse there with guided tours, they even let people up on the narrow catwalk around the lens housing... It was sheer terror looking down but the view was spectacular That's probably Finnish mainland you can see in the horizon, on the right side... Some 30km away.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Fingers; July 24th, 2006 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added marsh pictures 7/24
    Also known as Iikka Keränen

Digital Eel
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pictures from Helsinki

Played a tourist and walked around a few blocks in Helsinki... Starting from the famous hotel Kamp by the Esplanadi park, down to the marketplace with its infamous seagulls, nearby Uspenski cathedral, and around the corner to the Senate Square with yet another cathedral. Obligatory tourist photos attached.

Digital Eel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whee Helsinki! My papa lives there (though not right now, he's in Nigeria) so I've been there quite a lot.

I love the seagull, it looks so nice and soft, and I know how hard it is to get nice shots of moving animals.

I am totally awesome and one day I'll be able to prove it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, that seagull shot was pure luck and quick reactions... He swooped right by my head and was only a couple of feet away when I took the picture. No big telephoto lens involved.

Digital Eel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The king of berries

...is the cloudberry, they say, because you have to bow down before each one (as you pick them).

Anyway, I spent much more time taking pictures of the environment and "wildlife" than picking berries even if that was the official purpose of this trip to the woods... Had kids and a dog along with us adults so it wasn't a serious thing in any case.

Last edited by Fingers; July 24th, 2006 at 01:57 PM.

Digital Eel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good! I want to pet that dog. He/she looks so friendly (though it looks more like a he). Some of the buildings seem a little cut off, but the pictures fro isokari are really nice. The last set remind me of the area up my my mom's aunt/uncle/cousin's lake house that we visit when we are there. The frog and butterfly/moth pictures are gorgeous. How do you manage to get so close? And shoot without them moving? Keep shooting and posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the pup's male... He's only 3 months old, don't know the breed but he's going to be huge. He belongs to my sister's husband.

The trick I discovered when taking pictures of butterflies is to come up slowly from the direction of the sun, but never have your shadow touch the bug. They sit still with their wings open in order to collect sunlight/warm up. Some of them are easier than others; the big red one let me really close while the blue was skittish and took many attempts as well as required more cropping to produce the final image.

The frog was still a baby and either scared stiff or not particularly smart The kids (the one holding it is a 10 year-old girl) picked him up three times and he'd stay mostly still in their hands for a couple of minutes before jumping off each time.

Digital Eel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back to the US of A

Just arrived last night. Here's a few photos from the flight taken with the Canon IXUS pocket camera... Locations are southwestern Finland, west coast of Greenland, Newfoundland/Labrador, Maine.

Digital Eel

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.