New at Environments, Help a Brutha out
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New at Environments, Help a Brutha out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New at Environments, Help a Brutha out

I've never really done environments before and I'd like to start practicing and eventually get good at them. I'm thinking about putting this in the EoW(if its still accepting images ), but I think its lacking something, I'd like some critique please. Any tips on enviros in general would be great =)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I think everything is still a bit flat at this point. Really it all looks like more of a frame for a sky rather than an evironmnet. It might help for you to had a few more plains to the image to increase the feeling of depth. Also, try to be a bit more consistant with your lighting. That one stone pillar has some strong shadows, leading the viewer to assume that the light source would be somewhere in the upper left. However the inner portion of the cave doesn't suggest this. Building a more stark contrast between the mouth of the cave and the sky would make this a little more convincing. Also, as far as focus and depth are concerned, don't be shy with the details. Give us a bit of texture in the forground so the viewer knows where they stand in all this. Hope that helps. Great start too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh well yeah i just recently tried to do some environments myself. so im no pro, still in state of developement but anyways, this is very stiff and flat and i think the biggest problem is that its too sloppy and fast made i think (sry if not ) try adding a bit more obsticles and more light sources shrink the moon and vary the colors (else it gets a bit boring) hope i did help out some good try though a try is always better than no try at all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh hell i totally misunderstood this pic! im sorry! thought it was night with a big moon but its a cave? i posted at the same time as Exo, and he sure made out a point clearly, i need glasses >_>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I was hoping people would know it was a cave haha. I dont get how to vary colors without it looking extremely wierd and crappy. You're saying I need to lessen the contrast between the mouth of the cave and the sky? And exactly how would I add texture?

Thank you for your comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksama
    Yeah I was hoping people would know it was a cave haha.
    I thought it was a big moon as well. One thing that could help is to put a size reference in there. Whether it's a leaf, a figure or whatever, it's still too sketchy to understand where we are and what we are seeing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo dog! Get reference of a cave! Or reference of anything showing depth. That will help alot. For details, get reference of rocks, clouds, etc. I always use reference, otherwise, my work comes out overly-stylized and unrealistic.

I dont get how to vary colors without it looking extremely wierd and crappy.
    Get reference for a color scheme. When you get more confident with your colors, you can just wing it. Right now you have a monochromatic palette, which is cool. Remember that there are warms and cools of every color, even if you choose to go monochromatic blue.

Members who have read this thread: 1