Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    Here's a ref photo that was probably taken around 1962 or 1963. I'm the big kid in the back. I made a 50 cm by 65 cm charcoal drawing of this on a cream color sheet of paper. The left foreground sister has it. I was trying to make a formal pen and ink number on bristol 23"x23" for the right foreground sister, but when I moved away from California I temporarily lost the ref photo. Also, it rained on me when I was taking the drawing into my new home and the ink I was using is apparently not indelible after all. All the time spent stippling grandma's garage was blown by the presence of big water blobs. The right foreground sister saw the charcoal drawing the other sister has and is a little envious (a little bird tells me). I figured out that I could hide the water blob effect by running a wet brush over the rest of grandma's garage. That is where I stood at the second image of this post. I now begin to finish out the drawing with a combo of brush and pen techniques so I can give it to the sister who doesn't have one when I have Thanksgiving over at her place.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ...Liking your recent stuff. That top-left hand and bottom hand are looking superb.

Also, great to see your wet-media techniques paying off in your last picture WIP, with the kids. From this view/size, that wood paneling looks more realistic than the original picture!

As for your continued Wacom progress, my only suggestion now is to experiment with a lot larger brushes...working up the painting from underneath and then painting over those large marks (almost similar to traditional media, I suppose, if that's how you work). Right now your PS paintings aren't looking 'loose' enough.

Thanks
    Thanks Johnnyhorse. I'll check into your new sketchbook (at last) later today. I've stopped in here to add an update of the kids with some more medium washes. Next I will lightly charcoal in some guide marks for the stuff on the table and do the necessary washes there. I will see if there is anything I can do with the brush about the fingers of my left hand which currently look like speckled hotdogs. After getting that far I expect to finish it out with pen and exacto knife.

Thanks

Thanks
    I've been kind of busy mediating (which I enjoy) and writing up an appellate brief (which is taxing). I have managed to make another page of hands & feet but I think it's back to the old drawing board on some of these.

Thanks
    With ballpoint, I made a sketch in a wee sketchbook while I was sitting behind the home bench of a AA hockey team.
    Attachment 51600
    I have expanded it with charcoal pencil onto 18" x 24" newsprint to use it as the underdrawing for this week's EOW.
    Attachment 51601

Thanks

Thanks
    I'll be bolting hardware onto these in a couple of weeks when they have dried. They are WIPs.

Thanks
    Here's the progression on one painting of my current 3D series. This is acrylic and hence has dried faster (and it is board manipulation instead of hardware). First I prepare the panel(s). The one with the dowel is made by nailing a flat little panel to the other end of the dowel and placing glue on the dowel side of the little panel and inserting the dowel through a hole on the big panel so the glue is flat against the back of the big panel. The triangle is attached to its panel by woodscrews from the back and glue on the front. That third thing has woodscrews and "L" shaped metal flanges (one of which you can see.)
    Attachment 54941

Here they are primed.
    Attachment 54942

Here is the triangle one finished. This can be displayed on the floor at the option of a gallery director, and that might be one way to defy the long standing convention of a "window to another world" (instead presenting a trap door to another world).
    Attachment 54943
    Last edited by arttorney; November 27th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks
    Draw, Draw, Draw. You are not yet an artist. You are an art student.
    Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Alright, thanks for the encouragement. Until now I hadn't really known there was a difference. I'll draw Goldwater Lake while I'm fishing this afternoon.

Here's the thing that caught my attention today from the Journal of Eugene Delacroix: "To be successful in the arts is not a matter of summarizing but of amplifying where it is possible, and of prolonging the sensation by every means."

I intend to prolong the sensation for the rest of my life, and amplify where it is possible. This will be the last images from my winter abstract series. I'll post the finishing touches of the ink drawing of the kids later this week and then start doing community activities again. Those are my school assignments.

Thanks
    Goldwater Lake. I was already half way into this when a female mallard climbed up onto the boulder next to me. By giving her several nightcrawlers I got her to come within easy reach and hang out with me. It was funny when she got frustrated at the lack of additional nightcrawlers and pecked at the tops of my red markers and the Burger King image on my soda cup (trying to figure out where I had been getting the nightcrawlers). Next time I'll take some conte crayons and a smaller sketch pad in case of surprise visits.

Thanks
    Here's an hour of feet. Can't ... stand it anymore! Must ... sharpen pencils!

Thanks
    Top lips between mediations, rest with morning coffee.

Thanks
    Not one unbeliever would ever reach the top of God's mountain so long as Mustafa's carpet still flew.

Thanks
    This is my WIP for wounded fakir tears a shaman from an enormous rock.

Thanks

Thanks
    I managed to get a little more work in at shading this and cleaning it up a bit. I can see that I will have to address size of the image and zooming in and out etc. to get things to look less rough. I'm still a n00b at this digital stuff.

Thanks

Thanks
    Hey Arttorney, nice sb you have here!!! Really like how those eye and feet sketches are coming along. I can see your colored pieces are really improving!! Keep at it buddy!!

Thanks
    Thanks Gmags! Sorry for the infrequency of updates lately, but I've been stretching, sizing, and priming this big-ass canvas for a tourist friendly oil of the Grand Canyon. Here is my underpainting.

Thanks
    I actually didn't finish this for Thanksgiving, but I haven't given up on it yet.

Thanks
    thanks for all your help on my thread man, as far as i can see you have a really good visual conception of forms which shows talent but you need to work on refining your anatomy and remmember.. though this is cliche.. draw what you see not what you think you see (as in draw whats really there)

DiMb

Thanks
    When there's no more steroids in Hell, the freakazoids will walk the Earth.

Thanks
    Here's three levels of my "Shining Farmer Charms a Magician on a Water Lily" for 3CH. I had made a line drawing on a piece of colored construction paper. After scanning it, I redrew the lines in photoshop and then sampled the paper color to cover over the inevitable hairy places in my lines. Then I erased the paper color from outside her perimeter and drew a pair of panties on her to make her PG13. Next I sampled the color of the panties and drew the water speckles onto her (in a second level so I could erase any foulups). I made her hair black in this second level and then created a third level where I could big brush in some background stuff. I then erased all the background stuff that went across the woman somewhere.
    Last edited by arttorney; December 26th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    I put in some texture for water and soil and painted the dark and light areas of the shining farmer.

Thanks
    I put hair highlights in the layer where the body lights and darks are. Then I added another layer for this guest appearance by Rana pipiens the Northern Leopard Frog. Finally, I went around in the various layers and tidied up a bit. I still think I will fix up at least her lips and possibly the eyes, but I probably won't post that because enough is enough.

Thanks
    Ridiculous amount of neglect!
    Studies are looking great so far man, about that last woman:
    great job on the anatomy, it looks very solid right now.
    about the highlights, it's looking very pointillist, dont be afraid to start using bigger brushes and try to dive in with the shading sometimes, for example make a new layer and experiment with how you can get the highlights to look more realistic.
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/tuts/shadows.jpg
    try to get this sort of effect, if you have some spare time, use it to try and see ways of achieving this, or as well as you can do... keep practicing and it'll come to you easily.
    hope i didn't blabber on a bit,

peace

Thanks
    Thanks. I have to make sure she is shining, but that is not necessarily the same as sparkling or glittering. I thought I would more likely get hassled about the highlights on the hair, which kind of look like silly string right now. I got another six days. I'm motivated because I'm seeing this get cleaner and cleaner which feels good. it's a positive feed back loop.

About "ridiculous amounts of neglect" am I neglecting something? I'll try to fix it if I can. Improvement's why I'm here.

Thanks
    Here's where I was able to get to salvaging a pen and ink WIP with brush and ink work. I know the eye at the left margin is a bit fouled up, but the mat will cover enough of that bad eye corner so it will not look bad on display. My sister is happy with it because it is a memory of one of those relatively few idyllic and beautiful moments from our otherwise rather crappy childhood.
    Last edited by arttorney; January 1st, 2007 at 10:28 AM.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast