Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    I ran off another set of monotypes yesterday (gouache), calculated to be the foundation for Gasplanet Vista and/or Fish in front of a Metal Structure (depending on which way you turn it).
    Attachment 28139

It's good to have about 20 papers around so you don't waste paint. About seven impressions into it I got this one by misting heavily onto a stubborn blob of paint and lifting diaqonally by the lower left corner. To paraphrase Dr. Pretorius from Bride of Frankenstein: Art, like love, has her little surprises.
    Attachment 28140
    I put some yellow watercolor on there and dumped some rock salt into it while it dried. I did a little marker work and made contrails using raw umber pastel and white charcoal pencil.
    Attachment 28141
    I did additional marker work and tossed in some white pastel on the explosion. I made graphite vehicles and markered in some color dots to be stars. I did some shaping on the big and small gas giants with pastel and used vine charcoal to solidify the foreground.
    Attachment 28142
    Attachment 28143
    I made some black conte crayon marks on the explosion and filled in outer space using the same black conte crayon.
    I hope you like it. See Below.
    Last edited by arttorney; September 26th, 2006 at 10:23 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Sorry. I forgot to resize this sucker and yet attachment manager accepted it. This is the second monotype I made from the paintey glass the other day when i was preparing for glass planet vista and 3CHW. I have used gouache to paint in the black of space solidly and then used a toothbrush to spatter in the stars. I hope to find the time in the next two days to draw an interstellar transport on top of this for IDW.

Thanks
    Time constraints due to my mediation class prevented me from drawing an acceptable IDW onto the above gas giant but I drew this chair while waiting for class to begin Friday morning.
    Attachment 29965
    During class we had an exercise to use any form of expression to put on a little presentation about the meaning of the mediation process. After some discussion among my group of four about meanings, I had about 15-20 minutes to make this cartoon. Cartoons are way outside my comfort zone so I'm afraid the quavery lines are back.
    Attachment 29966

Thanks
    I can't really see the cartoon, but I really like the chair.

Thanks
    Excellent... unfortunately you just missed the DSG "Cow with the face of a human," you probably could have whipped up somethin interesting and relevant for that
    I love the paint by numbers.

As for the season - I just moved to Nebraska and the fall here is beautiful; I'd love to go out and do some life drawings/plein airs but for the last several days there have been chances of snow and sleet... sheesh. Yet another reason I long for the southwest

[EDIT: Crap, I thought there was only one page for your sketchbook when I wrote this, therefore take this comment and put it inbetween page 1 and september 26th
    I'm checking the date next time!]

Thanks
    I'm back from my stint in mediation training and as art show co-chair in Monterey. It was so exhausting I didn't get anything drawn since the second day of the mediation training when I drew the chair and cartoon. No worries. I have plenty of reference photos left over from when i was in Monterey two years ago for the same thing.

Today I got my graphics tablet. I have learned that the Windows version of the GIMP doesn't erase if you apply the back of the pen and you need to use the mouse that comes with the computer. I learned it while I did this bull totally from memory. As time goes by I hope I will come to know what I am doing here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney
    Today I got my graphics tablet. I have learned that the Windows version of the GIMP doesn't erase if you apply the back of the pen and you need to use the mouse that comes with the computer.
    I found, after having my tablet for a year or two, that it's better to rely on just hitting "E" for eraser rather than flipping the pen over. After a while, and just in general, the pen-tip side of the pen is more sensetive and resistant than the eraser-tip. Plus it's faster to hit E/B than flipping your pen over. Therefore, your problem is solved!

That aside, I hope you have a great time and wonderful advancement with the tablet. Of all, i've found Bumskee's thread on digital painting the most helpful, as I'm still learning all the time! Here's the link: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47859
    Hopefully it applies equally to GIMP

Thanks
    Photoshop elements 4.0 came with the hardware so there is some functionality there I can probably learn, thanks. I'll just learn the GIMP by reading the official site tutorials and whatever they have on the Linux Wacom Project.

I'll get snow here later in the year. I am about at Denver's altitude. The radio said possible snow this weekend, but I think that's just for Flagstaff a couple thousand feet higher. I wanted to go up there and get some aspen drawings in the weekend but now I think I will arrange to go earlier. I want some snow drawings, but I think the snow looks better on the pine trees at lower elevations than on the aspens.
    Last edited by arttorney; October 11th, 2006 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks
    Sorry. I've been sick for almost a week and can't bring myself to do anything. A woman in Monterey sneezed and I said "bless you," but in retrospect I think "curse you" might have been the more appropriate response.

It's raining like hell and the bulls are still standing out there eating. What else are they going to do, I suppose?

I have to do my taxes today while sick and it's raining. A fella could get depressed.

I know the proportions are bad on these but it's all I got for the week except some abstract scribbles I made in Monterey.

Thanks
    oddly enough , my husband is a printmaker... I know what a monotype is..
    you working on Plexi? waterbased or oil

and interesting working backward I always found my compositional skillz suffered.. a lot

Monterrey is a beautiful place... where;s the plein airs?????
    I wannna see!

heheh
    thanks for the kind words
    Chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    I've been squashing watercolor paper on watercolor paint or gouache that I painted on a big old pane of glass from a frame I bought at Michaels. Since I make a bunch of them at a time I think the phrase monotype doesn't correctly describe what I do, but I hate watching some of the paint go to waste.

After 40 hours of mediation training and 12 hours of driving I was too exhausted to do plein airs this time. Next post I'll put up something from a photo ref.

I finally got un-sick in time to get in some work this week. First, I finished a quick oil for the Happy Town EOW which is an experiment in the discordant color scheme known as Alternate Complement. I like it and I recommend to everybody to take some steps outside their usual comfort zone as to color sometimes.Attachment 38527

I also did my first photoshop work with my new graphic tablet. I did everything the hard way I'm sure. I hope to get really good over time. Wip first, then final. This was supposed to be the discordant color scheme known as Double Complement but in the end I kind of just painted whatever.
    Attachment 38528
    Attachment 38529

Thanks
    Here is a charcoal on steel gray Mi Tientes paper thing I did from a photo ref taken at the end of Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey. I got some more photo refs I'll be trying, and tomorrow I hope to plein air some color changing aspen trees.

Thanks
    Here's the Jihad Jerry version of the 3CH robot. Jihad Jerry is Jerry Casale of Devo fame. (See http://www.mineisnotaholywar.com)

Thanks
    I drew this plein air yesterday at about 8000 feet on the side of the San Fransisco Peaks by Flagstaff AZ.

Thanks

Thanks
    This morning I did the jungle. This evening I did the rumble.

Thanks
    Edited in response to crits on Environment of the Week. Hmmm. I don't like the tiger's right eye. One last thing to work on.

Thanks
    Today I updated the above Rumble in the Jungle Environment of the week a bit and posted my final. I also made the below pencil and oil pastel study for a woodcut and blocked in the large areas of color for an oil of Prescott's town square. I'll go put the detail on the oil in a week or ten days.

Thanks
    Here's what I saw out back this morning at 6:30 A.M. I liked it, but it's a little cool now for sketching in your stocking feet with the back door open. Next time I'll wear hunting socks.

Thanks
    I think it's really cool that you use all kinds of medium, not only pencils. I usually think that I need to paint more, but I never get started. Keep up the good work! That EOW 34 is looking good.

Thanks
    Thank you Sarcophagus. Oh, new avatar I see. Nice.

I'm currently trying to work up a television reporter in a 50s diner from scratch. No photo ref, traditional media. I'm using a field sketch I made of a diner stand in Grand Central Market, Los Angeles, and drawings of some of my clothing and other props draped or hanging on things, plus raw effort and booklearnin' for the characters. We're talking about a lot of work but the deadline is over 4 days away. I think I can make it.

Thanks
    Got sidetracked today and made an oil of myself in my front yard. I was wanting to do the pear tree's fall colors anyway. About 5 hours.

Thanks
    Watercolor & a bit of gouache.
    Next stop, TV Reporter in a 50s Diner.
    Last edited by arttorney; November 3rd, 2006 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    I've done part of the TV reporter thing, but it's not done yet. Here's my offering for the split face thunderdome challenge. At least being mercurial and bouncing from one thing to another has given me time to think of a treatment I want to give the reporter thing to keep it from being too ordinary.

Thanks
    Here's what I ended up with for 3CH TV Reporter in a 50's diner.

Thanks
    Here's an average print of how the woodcut turned out. Most of them are on paper that is blues, browns, or white.

Thanks
    I went back and added detail to the oil of Prescott's town square. The shops on the other side of the gazebo are "Whiskey Row" which is now for the tourists but at one time was a disreputable region for the prospectors to hang out.

Thanks
    I got in an abstract mood today. In a couple of weeks when the oil is pretty dry I will drill some holes here and there on these and bolt some hardware bits onto them for good measure.

Thanks
    Quickly back to (hopefully) recognizable shapes. this is about an hour's worth of hands.
    Last edited by arttorney; November 12th, 2006 at 09:00 PM.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast