Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    This is after a Missy Suicide photograph of a model called Fractal. The background was 1 hr. 25 min. using markers. The figure was 2 hr. 10 min. using conte crayons. Some tattooage omitted because of lack of blue conte crayon and disinclination to use marker. (not worth the trouble)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    One thing i can say is sloooow down on on those big drawings and go back to the basics. All your drawings are lacking basic proportion, prespective, anatomy, form. You need to start from point One again and really push through with construction and anatomy. proportion is beauty. Hope to see you around.

Seth.n

Thanks
    I call it "Open Fly Green" and mega thanks have to go out to Wassily Kandinsky for the title idea. Five hours today- acrylic and fabric collage on panel.

Sorry for all the anatomy practice but I'm lacking in that area.

Thanks
    Horsies from life. Sorry, this is all I could get before they walked out of effective range.
    Attachment 13288

Then I made this sketch of Peeple's Valley in 1 hr. 45 min.Attachment 13289

Thanks
    Here is something I did out of my head while hanging out in a hotel room watching the first six innings ot Tuesday's Angel's/Red Sox game.

Thanks
    Alright! I'm sorry that this oil self portrait is two years old, but it very accurately sums up my feelings concerning this week.

Thanks
    Coming soon to a 3CH near you, something for everybody ... an environment, an industrial design, a character, and to quote the character Clem from "Pollock" the movie, "Mud and muddiness abound."

Yet another monotype. Guard yourselves for true!
    Attachment 16127
    And some preliminary thumbnails.
    Attachment 16128

Thanks
    Apparently rodeo season is about over. The bulls are showing up in the back field again.
    Attachment 18880Attachment 18881Attachment 18882Attachment 18883Attachment 18884

Here's a photo of one of the two that walked by this morning.
    Attachment 18885

Thanks

Thanks
    On top of the watercolor monotype I put a 4H pencil underdrawing that you probably can't see; characters and moons with gouache; outlining of characters with fibertip markers; shading on 22 with pastel applied by fingertip.
    Attachment 19156

Added partial flats using gouache.
    Attachment 19157

Thanks
    Pastel craters on moons; middle green gouache topped with light green and dark green pastel and charcoal pencil for trees; a light and dark shade of mud applied by palette knife (more gouache); and a lighter tint of building colored gouache to shade the building consistently with the lighting that will eventually be on the blue space babe.

Thanks
    Hey man I see you're working hard here. I see you lack knowledge of the basic proportions and antomy, I strongly recomend you to get some books on the subject matter. Andrew Loomis books have helped me a lot, as Hogarths stuff. Other than that, just keep on drawing!

Thanks
    I draws em as I sees em, but I appreciate the advice. These steps were all one step of pastel, charcoal pencil, or graphite pencil detail where needed. I thought I might like to do more detail on the hotel entryway but the 3CH deadline draws near and it is not the focal point anyway. (Oh, the mud foreground was a couple of tints in gouache and then some burnt umber pastel and black pastel over the top.)
    Last edited by arttorney; September 4th, 2006 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    nice variety of stuff here, your environments are turning out nicely, id say do more sketches from life, thanks for stopping by my sb =]

Thanks
    indeed, your work seems to be coming along well. Keep doing those studies from life, and make sure you apply that knowledge to your stuff from imagination.

Thanks
    Thanks. I appreciate everybody's input very much. I can never tell what I might become interested in from one day to the next, but I am committed eventually to addressing my weaknesses while reinforcing my strengths. I have a Masters degree in Biology so I have a lot of miscellaneous anatomy books around all right. Having the books is obviously not enough. I just need to keep addressing the subject matters where I need practice, so the skill and hand-eye coordination thing will improve.

I address the other stuff because I also like to have fun (believe it or not I think drawing people is a crashing bore, but I know I have to have it in my skill set if I intend to be anything other than a hack).

Thanks
    It's pretty much going to be rainish all day here, so no drawing of animals. Here's some booklearnin' instead.

Thanks
    I've been checking out some of your stuff on various Environments of the Week and I must say, seeing the 'work in progress' shots of those in this thread completely changes my perspective of all your pieces. Aside from the 'Hunting Grounds', I thought all of your pieces were entirely digital -- especially with your characteristic colors and textured skies and especially the wall in the 'Underground' piece.
    I think that the major problem with the depiction of these is the method by which you digitize them (I'm guessing by photograph); try to take them into the sunlight to photograph them -- not as much of the color is lost or subjected to nasty interior fake lighting. If the presentation is clearer, then the works would come off as interesting as they really are!
    I also especially loved the H22 picture (also the 3CH description for it), I think a lot of the color was lost in the digital transfer (and I again thought it was all done in photoshop!)

PS. Your anatomical drawings are your strongest pieces -- they seem to have a certain fluidity that you should definitely embrace.

Thanks
    Thank you Johnnyhorse. I know exactly what you are talking about and I have been working with brightness and contrast to try to clean some of these up before they go online, but the final answer will come in a couple of weeks I think. I have been learning Linux and the GIMP, but I can't post digital pictures yet because I had to load an older Linux distribution on the laptop I had to play around with since it didn't have enough memory for the more modern distribution. Unfortunately the older distribution of Linux can't recognize my memory disk hardware which is more modern than it is, and it doesn't have appropriate software to deal with my cable modem for the same reason. Within a couple of weeks my brother and I will sort out these problems with the Linux, and I will go out and get a graphics tablet. That cuts out the imaging middleman. Then if my drawings suck there is no excuse, but at least they are easier to manipulate with "undo", cool brushes, and layers. I'd just go out and get Photoshop or Painter, but I'm a little perverse and stubborn that way. It amuses me to learn this obscure open source stuff.
    If I get the piece done too late in the day but there is a deadline, I have to work indoors with incandescent lights. Otherwise I will usually do the photograph of the final out on my back porch trying to use light from the north. It's further complicated by the fact that July through October in the mountanous north of Arizona it is thunderstorming many afternoons and is a patchwork of giant cumulous clouds the rest of the days. Imaging has been frustrating and I will soon start to do digital work for here, or hybrid work. I have a bunch of those monotypes around and I may still image those things for my bottom layer and work on top of them with digital.

For today, I have two sketches of the sunrise. These are oil on sized cardboard and took about a half hour apiece.
    Last edited by arttorney; September 13th, 2006 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks
    I like the lower one best as it has more depth to it (the sky looks too close on the higher one) it could be framed!

Thanks
    The second one I actually painted first. I painted the whole sky and the mountains upside down so I could have the cardboard clipped on my giant clipboard most of the time. I unclipped it and laid it on something to finish out a little bit of foreground.

The first (upper) one one involves a lot of dregs of paint from the palette and I don't like it as much either. The clouds were evolving fast, and I didn't take as much care in mixing colors. That leads to muddiness. The neighbors dog was also barking at me (they have no fence and just let him out loose) and he was also barking at the bulls who had just walked by. The neighbor woman was yelling at the dog to come back which it refused to do. It was generally more of a bummer mood in that second half hour.
    Last edited by arttorney; September 13th, 2006 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    Well, the greatest reward comes from those challenges... or atleast doing it yourself (in reference to setting up all the open-source stuff), besides, Photoshop is really a pretty crappily designed program... it's just that there are few competitors that can do the same stuff with their products. My brother tried to dual-boot my computer with Linux, but I was a youngin' back then and had no patience, but I did have a go at GIMP (a very cool program; I was amazed actually).
    As for once you get a tablet, I hope to see many of those unique textures transfer over to digital, which is just as much fun (something I need to work on--i just use one brush!).
    Oh, and every time I see the H22 picture I think that is a photo of a glacier in the background, you know, in a good way!

Thanks
    I am hoping to become enough of a nerd to make some custom brushes that work well with my style. As it stands, I can see that there are cool functions available in GIMP that will take a lot of the tedium out of drawing and erasing perspective lines and all that. It will draw a straight line for me that won't be all shaky.

I worked pretty hard on that H22 picture (probably the most work of anything I have posted here). I am glad you like it.

Thanks

Thanks
    really like the oil environments, good to see some anatomy practice keep posting

Thanks
    Thanks. Here's what I did today. I went out to this place I found yesterday while I was going somewhere I wanted to fish. On the left the moderately tall but flat mountain is what I climbed to get my point of view.
    Attachment 24471
    When I was there this is what I could see.
    Attachment 24472
    I drew this for EOW 34.
    Attachment 24475

Expect some more bulls tomorrow. They've been hanging around a lot lately.

Thanks
    I am nostalgic for the southwest; I haven't been back to my home in 7 years in San Antonio. It must be relaxing to have pretty random (farm) animals running around. Didn't you say you often had to drive into LA for work? That must be a long drive!

Thanks
    I only go there once or twice a month for random court appearances and client meetings. I must go there later this week but it will be the only time I did so in September. (Edit: All hell broke loose today as usual. I'm liable to have to drive to Bakersfield early next week for a court appearance, as well as possibly having to stay in L.A. this week an extra day more than I planned.) I drive about 6.5 hours each way. If you have a taste for it, the southwest has a rugged beauty to it that can make you feel small. It is very similar to the Sinkiang sequences from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, for those of you who have never seen it.

I go to Monterey the first week of October because I am co-chair of the Cal. Bar lawyer-judge art show. I'm going to spend the weekend doing plein air stuff with a judge friend of mine who has a house in Carmel. I'll post something in here from that.

When I get back from Monterey, there will be a couple of weeks where the aspens and oaks have turned color and I will be cranking out pleinairs for all I'm worth (before the leaves fall off). I might neglect the community activities in that time, but it only happens once a year and I need another 15 or 20 tourist friendly pieces ASAP. I like the plein airs much more than works from reference photos. I put the light better, and I sometimes feel like I can paint in the sounds of the wind and stuff. I'll edit this lengthy blabbing post to add today's sketch when I get to it. The bulls haven't come close to the fence for two days.
    Last edited by arttorney; September 19th, 2006 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    Sorry! It doesn't want to let me use attachment manager in edit mode. Virtually every bull in the whole field just walked by en masse. These are basically something like one minute poses because these beauties keep moving around. Crikey! I should just go out there and tie one of them up so he can't move around so much ... not!!!

Thanks
    Home on the range (except the skies will be cloudy all day, in a good way).

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast