starting confusion

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy starting confusion

i am a starter the confusion is..
    First what to start with whether still life ,anatomy or perspective
    if i do life drawings it is hard to depict the light and shade ,again i have to do some still life drawings and the perspective problem

i am new to drawing i want to learn things ,at my place there are no art schools and it is difficult to find some good teachers so i started to things on my own . what to learn first ? help .

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see how this goes in Sketches. You're just starting, right?

Rule #1: Post in the right forums.
    Rule #2: No one can tell you how to start drawing. If you aren't drawing already and are just up and deciding to be an artist, is it really what you want to do? Don't ask people, just *do it.* Draw things. Copy pictures. Work work work. No one can tell you how to begin. Because you just *do.*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hes right.. its up to YOU to decide what and how you wanna draw something. no one can tell you how to draw. besides, you cant improve your skill if you dont know where your skill stands. draw something, anything.. and see how good or bad it is. then you'll know how to improve. - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i disagree, i think there ARE more profitable ways to start out than other ways...

id start learning perspective cause its a base knowledge for allmost everything else... how to create the illusion of space on a 2d surface.

so learn perspective and combine it with still lifes to check and apply what youve learned. its allways good to apply this achieved knowledge asap to really remember it. do some architectural studies aswell every now and then. go out and think, where the horizon line is ... where are the vanishing points etc. pick simple objects first to really get to know this like its your second nature. cubical shapes ... cylinders later... then sphericals.
    try to avoid rushing ahead. take your time, it will pay of later, promised.

looking forward to a sketchbook with perspective constructions and studies .

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's your opinion, though. Consider: Most of the people who post well-developed work here started drawing before they even realized exactly what they were doing. Doodling smiley face suns with crayons when you're 6 is how you begin to build up that hand-eye coordination. Developing a love for it. Starting out drawing weird rectangle people and bubbly clouds. Everyone starts out differently, but they don't start out with "I need this lesson plan to learn this and this so that I can get better at this and this and this." That's not how it works. You have to do it first, and enjoy it, and know how you work before you can decide to work on certain areas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say start with this book:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi...BkChap&isize=M

And at the same time read andrew loomis book called "succesfull drawing" and the others too:
    http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one
    i disagree, i think there ARE more profitable ways to start out than other ways...
    you're right.. understanding and gaining the ability to put depth onto a 2-d piece of paper is critical. no matter what you draw it has to have depth for realism.. and learning how to translate that is one of the first subjects to learn. - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the thing: if you can sustain a regimented diet of drawing properly, you're going to be way ahead. If you are unable to motivate yourself to do this, however, you won't pick up a pencil, and will not improve much.

If you just doodle around and start off on some popular tangeant, you may have fun for a while, but your growth will be stifled and you will lose motivation and stop drawing, and will not improve much.

The key is to do as many learning exercises as you can without becoming bored. Some folks can do those all day and become marvelous artists, others need more whimsy and it sometimes takes them longer.

I also recommend all the Loomis books, as well as Betty Edwards's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, for the absolute beginners.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Scratch that. Deleting that post. I respect this board too much to let my bad mood make me be mean here. I disagree with the general consensus, but that doesn't matter.

Anyway! My original point had been that this thread (and therefore the discussion) doesn't go here, and someone (thread starter) should request that it be moved.

Last edited by ThatsNotPoetry; July 20th, 2006 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm new to CA this is my first post srry for posting in this forum.i will start to know the rules and other things .
    thanks for the suggestions.

EffingAmazing:thanks for your valuable suggestion, i will post in the right forums and i study the rules
    JAG:thanks for recalling what a aspiring artist must do.
    sone one: thanks for the intrest, i will start to do perspective sketches.
    christian223:thanks for your immediate help, i wili take the books.
    dogfood:it is a great motivation thanks, i will to concentrate on things.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.