Sketchbook: Dustin Walker's Sketchbook!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dustin Walker's Sketchbook!

EDIT**

My name is Dustin Walker and I'm 2(6) years old, my focus is to kick ass, study and paint.

Hopefully I'll be able to actually get a start freelancing in the coming years.

Any crits and comments are appreciated, thanks for stopping by.

6/2012I lost 2 Years worth of images to a webhost going down, forgive me, I probably wont reupload any of that junk

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Koh; July 21st, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first welcome to CA
    ok my crit
    learn the anatoym of the face
    The eyes are too small and too far apart and the nose too low from the eyes
    the mouth is too close to the nose
    keep trying
    practive is everything

here are some loomis anatomy links
    http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=16&cat=14

main page http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1
    figures http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=12

hope i help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the comment I appreciate it. I will be sure to practice facial anatomy That seems like a huge weak point for me, I'll post another face tonight if I have time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some more artwork , tell me what you think these are just sketches.

photoshop -sketching i guess , kinda old.

Last edited by Koh; June 2nd, 2007 at 05:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone , This a new sketch I did in photoshop. Tell me what you thing, if you think i should paint over it or if i should color under the lines.

Ahhh
    here it is
    note. My friends said that he would look like a bad ass if he had stubble so I blessed him with it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Koh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree about the stubble. Congrats on the new SB. Your drawings posted here thus far happen to all be fun stuff like ppl and mechs, but I recommend forcing yourself to spend more time drawing from life. If you're looking to catch up a bit to where you wish you were by now, objects, scenes, and people from life (in person and in 3d) are a fantastic way to go.

Keep it up!

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is another sketch done up in photo shop, trying to examine how I draw hands and faces with no reference , then I go back and compare them to actual anatomy , havent done it with these yet , but tell me what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a new sketch , Its supposed to be a depiction of Satan "kinda" or maybe some other kind of falling angel.
    does anyone have any reference photos of someone standing similar , Ive looked it up but im not exactly sure what im looking for,

This is really sketchy and I drew all of his anatomy with no reference , so incase you notice a major flaw please tell me.

let me know if its too big as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isnt finished , Some mothra movie was on t.v it reminded me of godzilla so I drew this. I got bored after about an hour and quit. I'll probably finish it sometime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi!
    I like your sketchbook, also if it seems (just my opinion) a little "unmature" (I am not sure about the word, forgive me for the bad english). I really think that you should stop to sketch directly on photoshop and do it with pencil on paper. When you'll have more sure use of lines and anatomy you couls sketch directly on photoshop. Color... it come later, because it's simple to think that color adjust a not perfect artwork... but it doens't work! So.. spend more time possible drawing from life or from photo reference, pencil, pencil and pencil, and later... scan and photoshop. My two cents.

PS: Continue to post, I really think that post on sketchbook thread make us better artist!

PPS: Are you sure that so little wings are good for your subjects? I mean... maybe are better big wings then so short and cute little wings!

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why do you think my sketches are Immature? I am only 20 years old but I guess you never lose some tastes.

I'll probably never stop drawing sweet robots and stuff.

I suppose I could spend more Time sketching with pencil alot of my problems come from being too broke to buy art supplies. I feel I'm improving faster as I sketch in photoshop,I guess thats just me though although my art line art is much better on paper.

Do you think its a good to have a "blind" coordination with my pen/pencil as I've learned through my tablet? I wonder if its hurting my growth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Koa, what I wrote was not offensive, if it seems so, forgive me. I only wrote immature like artlines, compposition, colors and specially anatomy. It was not about YOU Ok?
    well... about tablet... I use it evey day, but I still think that for sketch is better (specially at beginning) a simple pencil on paper, and drawing, drawing, drawing.
    My personal opinion is that it's NOT true that artist improve himself faster with tablet. And I think that this is also the most common opinion here on forum.
    Maybe for you it'll be different, I don't know. I like your style, your idea, but your art seems still as embrional level, I am sure you'll realize that when compare it with professional works (not mine, for sample) And now... when your next update?

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I know , Don't worry I wasn't offended at all. Im glad you are trying to help me I appreciate it.

Im going to try to update tonight maybe with some pencil work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I lied , I sketched in Photoshop a bit again.

I figured people wanted to see something a bit less garbage.

So heres a cat girl with a sweet axe. tell me what you think , took about an hour I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, I love her. this is something you MUST elaborate ina finished concept or illustration! It's really grea! Actually is imho your best work in this sketchbook.

one thing: try to make the axe a little more longer or shorter, I think that the blade finishing at same line of the shoulder it's not good.

try to make her more rifinite, specially in the lines and without color her, post it again, please!

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok , so I've been working alot on faces lately. My main focus is the placement of the eyes and nose right now, All of my studies have been on actual paper. Some from life and such Im really trying to soak up as much from everthing I read, this is a few days old.

The reason I haven't been updating regards my router , it's a peice of shit.

I really want to know what you think about this , Im still practicing colors, I haven't downloaded my scanners drivers yet but I will have my pencil drawings on here very soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen some studies done by Loomis which emphasise placing features on the face by measuring eye widths. Maybe this will help:

http://www.portrait-artist.org/face/structure4.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Koh,

I'm kind of confused by your sketchbook. The figures and scenes, faces included, show a level of comfort with anatomy that your "face studies" do not show at all. I mean, in those other pieces ('cat-girl,' 'fallen angel,' 'stubble fella,' etc) The faces are in good shape- but when you try and draw a face by itself, like this last post of the fly-staring guy- it seem's to fall apart.

Those other images have good proportions, nice poses-- are you drawing from reference on those? If I didn't know better, I would even say it seems the cat-girl and this last face are drawn by two different artists-- I feel the difference in confidence of line and gesture is that big.

Like Craig suggested earlier, if you want to catch up get out into the world and draw from life. Friends, family, yourself. I too feel that I'm behind for my age, so I can sympathize with you.Also, there's tons of tutorials out there, Loomis and many many more, that cover good facial anatomy. Eyes on the half lines, mouth and nose placement, etc. Keep chipping away at it, you'll get it!

Nice work! Keep drawing, and keep having fun. I look forward to seeing where your SB goes.

Cheers!

-Andrew

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot , for that post it made my day so much better, even if it was mainly criticism , I thank you.

I'm working on paper alot , I guess I really need to install those scanner drivers, I've been a little occupied with my music and trying to find a job lately to come on and post , but I will soon. Probably tonight or tomarrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few older, face studies I havent had time to finish these. I'm trying to make a few character designs to post later, I think im going to use the face with the sideburns at the bottom.
    sorry I haven't been updating, I having like a depression episode or something, and drawings seems like the only thing to do right now maybe I'll finally start posting again

Heres another drawing that I posted In the sketches and wip forum a while ago , but I guess i'll repost here because it didn't get much feedback , i'm not gonna bump something so dead.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey whats up. That robot looking thing a few posts up is pretty cool. i'd love to see it rendered out and completed. it's interesting lookin. if i were to crit anything, that one with the girl with the axe, the blood on it is a little bit too red in my opinion. blood leans more toward blackish than reddish to me. usually to get a good blood color for me, i'll get red, and make it pretty saturated but make it really dark. that usually makes blood that makes me happy. Cool stuff though, i'd just like to see more of it rendered out and finished. keep on truckin
    -az

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you , I was only throwing the blood on there to see if it looked like it would work in the picture, I never finish alot of my art sadly.. I'm not sometimes I just can't figure out how.

Take this for example, It's a render I just couldn't bring myself to finish.

I tried to finish it , It went from light blue to green and I just messed with all of the colors, I just got so lost , I feel like i'm just missing something. And so I gave up on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New sketch, I finally got my scanner hooked up. I was really inspired last night before I went to bed, I just kept Imagining my character. I have so many Ideas, I think I'm going to start working on some more Ideas for a web comic.

Well here it is.
    Destroy it with your words. ps, I used a photo reference on the stance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Koh thanks for your comment on my post. I thought id return the favour. you've asked people to ripp you apart, i dont like doing that and i dont see any need to, but I will just comment about a few things i noticed about your last pencil sketch. cool drawing, cool pose. I like the observation of the dudes top. But the guys jeans pockets, well im mean I know if Im gonna draw jeans I've got to be very anal about the pockets if I want them to come off looking like jeans, otherwise they look like patches my mums stiched onto my trackpants. Particularly with the right pocket im left unconvinced that they're jeans, simple completing the pocket shape right up to the bottom of the dudes top and makin it a litte heavier as it falls under the tops shadow would change this completly.

Also youve got such an intersting pose going there with forshortening on the left leg and whatnot but your heavy pencil outline flattens this pose, particularly where the lower legs cross over each other.

but apart from that good drawing man, im liking your digital sketch's some realy interseting use of line weights going there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be inking this up digitally either tonight or tommarow, so I will try to make the pockets look better, I see what you mean about the heavy outline. I thought about it when I put it on. I guess it's kind of a style choice Im sure it will look better when Im done inking it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres that drawing from above, I started coloring it in photoshop. It's driving me mad, I can't paint very good at all I know it takes practice but I feel like i'm just not doing something simple right. Anyone got a good brush pack?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soo... I decided to scrap the above start, and decided to really try to find the colors I wanted to use and really try to learn some techniques from a tutorial, I think I found a good set of starting colors and I think I learned a bit, heres a new beginning tell me what you think , I'm gonna move this to the work into the critique center or something so I can get more help on it.

Last edited by Koh; October 22nd, 2006 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some already mentioned, dont just jump to Graphics because you see all these fantastic works on this forum done that way. Lets try and build a basic foundation first. Learning the anatomy really helps you understand the human form, so that, I suggest you try. Draw these things with a pencil though, no wacom needed.

I think when you are ready for digital it just seems to click. Right now when I look at your work it seems you rushed a few steps in education. You seem to like using photoshop to colour your drawings in, I would'nt. Use traditional things to start with, it feels more natural.

Just my general opinions, its up to you how you pursue your education.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I draw on paper with different types of pencil and pen quite a bit actually, I just recently got my scanner hooked up. Maybe I will post some anatomy drawings sooner or later.

I haven't really sketched on in photoshop for a week or so until today, heres a basically finished version of that painting I started above and a sketch I did in ps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I hope some people still comment on the drawing above, But here is a painting im trying to work on, It's been really hard, I'm having a really hard time on the skin here. I messed with the contrast and stuff.

Tell me what you are thinking

[EDIT] I don't like this one at all and so I'm going to change it to a link so i'm not entirely embarassed and it's not bogging the thread down at all.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../face2copy.gif

Last edited by Koh; October 24th, 2006 at 03:15 AM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.