Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Who did the new Iron Maiden cover artwork? Is it...

Jae Lee? I see some similarities with the excellent Gi Joe/Transformers in WWII work.
    (Btw Im not a fan of Iron Maiden, and I think the concept for the cover is absolutley terrible)
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    It's Tim Bradstreet (Vampire:the Masquerade, Hellblazer, the Punisher).

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    It's about a billion times better than the last one I saw. Which I'm thinking was the album before this one.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    Thanks Elwell, for clearing that up!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks

Thanks
    I think my world was shattered when I found out Bradstreet traced his drawings before rendering them.
    Last edited by Interceptor; July 19th, 2006 at 07:20 AM.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Jae Lee has a very different approach to shadows than Tim Bratstreet shall we say. The givaway is the second zombie from the left. Notice the shadows (casted and not) on his chest and the shadows on the head area.

(I cannot get these WildC.A.T.S. cover Jae Lee did back in the day...)

Thanks
    Funny how the quality of Maiden's cover art has tracked the quality of the music. Things haven't been right since 'Live After Death'...

*sigh*

Thanks
    Jesus. They're still around...?

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    I'm sorry I'm a little lost. Can anyone explain to me why the art is so bad? I'm not questioning anybody because i disagree, I just think it's *eh*, plus due to the reason I think it's cliche in a way. But, please someone enlighten me a little I want to understand...

-2b (Two-Bit)

Thanks
    That cover is a hell of a lot better than the one for Dance of Death. Looks like a kid got his hands on a copy of Poser 5.

Thanks
    Hey folks -
    Yep, that's my stuff but you should also know it was partly a group effort between Peacock Designs UK and myself. This was a very difficult job from many angles. The reason I say this is because this artwork (and you are looking at a version which was not the final but a corrected version from Peacock that I had not done final changes to) does not represent a straight vision from me. It's basically a partial re-execution of key art with many of the elements present in the original key art still visible. This was a fly by the seat of your pants, super-tight deadline, make what they started with look better kind of a thing. I loved the concept and wished I could have really done my version of what you see here but Maiden had their minds made up. I offer suggestions and provide alternatives to things I'm asked to do that may not sit right with me but in the end I have to deliver what they want. If it seems disjointed to a keen eye there is a good reason for this.
    It's a mish mash of stuff I re-shot and illustrated (the main group of soldiers and Eddie) and the original key art. Then they made me change certain skulls from the stuff I did to the original skulls from the key art.

I went through 3 major revisions on this after it was approved at the key art stage and the new illustration was fully executed. The whole thing was a difficult journey. In the end though I'm pretty damn happy about what we cooked up in such a short amount of time and the heavy hand we were subject to in terms of art direction.

Sometimes you can't judge a book by it's cover. Or a CD for that matter.

- Interceptor
    Not sure what to say about your shattered world. I've ALWAYS been forthcoming about my use of photo reference from day one of my career. I've never hid the fact. It doesn't make the work that I do any less viable. My work is still my work and the results are the product of not just a photo of a character I use as a base to form my illustration, it's the result of a lot of hard work and dedication to the craft. I'm an illustrator, not a comic book artist. I employ the tools at my disposal to create things that are visually pleasing to me. My work over photos isn't a mere tracing exercise. Sit behind me while I work and you'll see there is a hell of a lot more to it than copying what I see under the vellum.
    Anyway, sorry if that ruined the magic for you. I always thought it was fairly obvious.

My best to you all and the rest of the Concept art crowd.

- TB

Thanks
    I like it really, apart from the explosions in the bg and the smoke effects.Much better than the Dance of death one for sure.
    Jeez who would have expected that the artist was actually watching us.Creepy.

ciao

Thanks
    Hi Tim,
    Im a huge fan of your work. Your Hellblazer covers suited your style so much.
    My work uses lots of reference, so I know where your comeing from. I use it purely as a guide, make your own marks and your own lines and its poles apart from the origanal photo.
    your a big insperation, keep it up man.

http://www.myspace.com/carterworld

Thanks
    Cheers, Lee.
    I like your work, you do some nice stuff.

Sometimes I get very tired of defending my process and technique to people who feel they have to attack me (I'm not referring to you Interceptor). Normally it's just some jackwipe who wants to get a rise out of me, sometimes it's an artist who's just sucking on some sour grapes, and sometimes it's someone that is just a purist and doesn't like anything that isn't completely from the imagination. I have no problem with folks who don't like my work when they are respectfully giving their personal opinion.
    Why should that offend me? What does offend me is when these people attack me like it's some kind of personal vendetta, when they don't know me from Adam. Don't know me, don't have any clue what really goes on when I am creating this stuff, and don't care. They just want to judge me.

Sound familiar?

I guess it's the price you pay when you're work is visible to the public eye, especially now with the internet. Even Johnny snot-nosed, bitter, never leaves the house, worthless hump, has a voice. The work is out there, whether it's rushed because of a deadline, you are dealing with some personal issues, or you just didn't hit that particular piece out of the park. People are going to have an opinion and it usually doesn't include any knowledge of what you went through to create the work. I am fortunate enough in most cases to have the approval of my peers and their opinion means more to me than some lame-O with an opinion and an attitude. Still, like any artist I need and crave acceptance so I find myself stuck in a kind of catch-22. I've been doing this long enough to realize that not everybody is going to like what I do, but it still hurts when you hear this kind of spiteful spew. Even if the person has no idea what he/she is talking about.
    Normally I see this kind of stuff in a forum. So whatever, the spiteful nitwit I can deal with, it's the other people reading that crap that concerns me most. Some of those people are going to eat up the negative like it was gospel truth because they don't know any better. I guess that is the reason why I feel the need to defend it instead of letting it roll off me.

OK, I tend to ramble, so apologies for the soapbox and the long winded diatribe.

Work Hard
    - TB

Thanks
    Oh wow.

I think you may have mistook what I said.
    I was'nt saying that your work is'nt good. Or great even. Your work stands out amongst others quite a bit, in a very good way. I'm sure you could do work just the same without the referrence, and that it's probably a necessary thing to meet with deadlines. But I'd thought these were all done directly from the head. And when I found out the process you take in making an image it just kind of distorted what I'd built up in my head.

No disrespect, though.
    I'm sure you get this kind of thing in person all too often.
    cheers

-Loren
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Loren -
    My complete and utter apology for misunderstanding your comment.

It's been a very long week and I guess my hackles were raised because of some nitwit on my blog. Keyed up and stressed out from a nasty bitch of a workload and now I am pouring what remains of my sanity into preparing for the San Diego Comicon.

Very sorry for the misinterpretation.
    Nice to meet you

Any of you going to be at the show come by my table in artist alley and say hello.

best - tb

PS - Loren, nothing in that second post refers to your comment, I was just following up a train of thought on the subject of photo ref.
    Just wanted to be clear about that

Thanks
    Hi Tim,

Your work has a special feeling that stands out the crowd.

Since I'm interested in other's illustrators methods, I'd like to ask you some questions about your process, especially about the way you prepare your ref for an illustration :

Do you have a photo studio at home ? Or is it a external studio that shoot it for you, under your direction ? How long does it take ?
    Do you choose carefully your models like in a movie casting, or do you modify their appearance alot ?
    Have you got accessories, or do you integrate these (guns, clothes etc...) from documentation apart ?

I would really enjoy to see an exemple of a ref you made, aside from the final render, to see the transformation (especially on your Punisher portraits.)

Cheers

Pierre.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Man, I loved looking at all the old Iron Maiden covers when I was little. Cant say I like their music all that much.... but I always loved the paintings that had future eddie on them.... by Derek Riggs

This new cover rocks too! good job Tim. Its nice to see different shapes and types of skulls in an illustration for once.

Thanks
    Well, first of all I have to say that Tim Bradstreet's illos are not my cup if tea. And not 'cause he uses photos (I'm not into that old school-art-purist thing), but for some other reasons that have to do with my graphical tastes changing over time, and my conception of art maturing as I began to discover some artists (mostly due to CA). However, I respect him as and artist and I admit his work really attracted me whe I first saw it as a teenager (in comics covers and WoD books). With that said, my opinion is that it's pointless trying to impose a modern layout/graphical style to a client whose characteristics are not those. Maiden's music hasn't changed in a while, but that's not a bad thing, it's just what some people want: they're not looking for innovation or conceptual progression, just for more of the music that they like. So,as I see it, Bradstreet's illustration is totally pertinent (even if technically is not one of his best pieces, imho), and that what matters in this kind of pieces.
    Oh, and btw, the cover for Dance of Death really sucks, in every level you could analyze. I think it was some kind of a fan contest winner, and it shows.

Damn, these things (the artist himself jumping in the discussion) only happen in this place! Shit, this has to be THE art community on the web
    Cheers!

Thanks
    ManOwaR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MAIDEN

in terms of covers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by talbot
    That cover is a hell of a lot better than the one for Dance of Death. Looks like a kid got his hands on a copy of Poser 5.

<insert 0Kelvin's WTF smiley here> fedezz, I hope you're right... but what's more suprising is that it's legit !!!!!!!! My eyes ! Shockhorror!! This is going traight into my gallery abominate.

Thanks
    nevermind... read the rest of the thread... didn't realize Tim discussed his process below. I guess that's the best source... the horse of course.

Thanks
    ... am I dreaming or was it Tim Bradstreet that just replied here ?...pld:
    ... god I love CA.

[fanboy mode on] Tim, I have to say here glumly that if I do what I do today it's because of what you did for Vampire years ago.[fanboy mode off]

Concerning this cover I think it's the best Maiden cover since the Derek Riggs era. period.

Derek, have to say here glumly...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Living Rope
    ... am I dreaming or was it Tim Bradstreet that just replied here ?...pld:
    ... god I love CA.

[fanboy mode on] Tim, I have to say here glumly that if I do what I do today it's because of what you did for Vampire years ago.[fanboy mode off]

Concerning this cover I think it's the best Maiden cover since the Derek Riggs era. period.

Derek, have to say here glumly...
    dude, its only tim brdstreet man. Jeez, chill out! anybody would think that wesdjurdjevic9000 just made his first appearance or something...

Thanks
    Blog, wasn't it you who had pictures of Massive Black artists as your own avatar, a true testament to your fanboy status at the time?

By the way Tim, it's fucking great to see you posting here.

Thanks
    and kids, thats a lesson in how not to communicate sarcasm effectively

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by talbot

That's the one I was talking about. Good god, were they smoking crack when they rubber stamped this one?
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    Hi Tim.

Been a while brother. We need to chat.
    These grapes taste like Fresno! -- Steinbeck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blog
    and kids, thats a lesson in how not to communicate sarcasm effectively
    . . . I was laughing.

And I want a massive black artist avatar too.
    I think I'll go with the multi-talented Ryan Benjamin.

Pierre -
    Don't have a lot of time here but I'll give you some quick answers.

"Do you have a photo studio at home ? Or is it a external studio that shoot it for you, under your direction ?"

Mostly I shoot stuff in my garage. It's low rent, low tech, and cheap to do.
    Bare bones man, you don't need anything fancy.

Unless you are doing something that requires a higher quality like movie poster stuff or promotional jobs, commercial stuff, etc. It really depends on the project and what the requirements are. 90% of what I shoot is done by me alone in the garage with a few lights. I have a few very talented friends who have really nice big studios and they let me use the facilities when I have the need. Along with the more professional set-up I also get to use their photographic equipment like the Canon 1DS, 12 megapixel badboy. I've also used a Hasselblad a few times recently. It'a 39 megapixel digital SLR and it's F'n sick.

"How long does it take ?"

The photos? It takes as long as it takes. sometimes I get what I need in 20 minutes, sometimes I shoot all day.

"Do you choose carefully your models like in a movie casting, or do you modify their appearance alot ?"

I try to get as close to what I need as possible. I do approach it like a movie casting. I have a stable of friends and colleagues that I use when casting is up to me. When it's not, and it's a character that is appearing for the first time I ask the writer - If you were casting this as a film, who would you cast as this character. If the writer says he should look like Yaphet Koto then I go look for a model that fits his physical description. I've always been pretty lucky casting, don't know why. The same applies to charcters that already exist. You know that multi-talented artist I mentioned above? Ryan Benjamin? He was my "Blade" model. I took one look at him and knew he had to be Blade. Happy accidents.

"Have you got accessories, or do you integrate these (guns, clothes etc...) from documentation apart ? "

Your talking about costumes and props. Yes, I have a ton of that stuff. Lots of Guns because I do a lot of jobs with characters that carry them, in all shapes and sizes, models and calibers. I've got swords and edged weapons, tons of leather stuff, boots, jackets, hot chick stuff, military gear, etc . . .
    I try to get as close to what I need as possible in the photoshoot. If I'm getting paid real money (not comic book money) and I have a budget to work with, and some pre-production time, I'll get props specifically for a particular job. It always depends on the scale of the gig. I customize these things quite a bit sometimes when I'm creating the illustration. What's there in the photo is a base to work from. Example: It'd be hard for me to get a set of wings that looked worth a shit for a live action photo shoot. So if I'm drawing an angel, I shoot my figure and then I draw the wings in when I pencil. Generally I'd have some sketches that I've worked up so I have a general guide if it's a major edition I cannot create on the fly.

I would really enjoy to see an exemple of a ref you made, aside from the final render, to see the transformation (especially on your Punisher portraits.)

I'd love to but I'm kinda holding on to that kind of stuff for my next art book. You can get a bit of a feel for it if you go to my mother site and surf around. Ir you can just hit these links -
    http://www.timbradstreet.com/extras/production.shtml
    http://www.timbradstreet.com/gallery/photogallery.shtml

Best - Tim
    Last edited by Tim Bradstreet; July 19th, 2006 at 08:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast