Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Alternatives to the Art Institute

I am about to enroll with the Art Institute of San Diego. I have paid all the processing fees and i am about to sign loan papers that will defer the $60,000+ in tuition fees untill after i graduate. But before i make this decision i want to make sure their isn't anything else out there that would be a better fit and that would be more cost effective. If anyone knows of any good art schools around the San Diego area, please let me know.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thumbs down Don't do it!

Hey Hink, I graduated form The Art Institute of Philadelphia with an A.S. in graphic design. I highly reccomend you stay away from all AI schools.

Though I don't have any experience with AI San Diego, all AI schools are the same. I have never come across anyone who was happy with their AI education.

Check these out
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/antiartinstitute/

http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php...5&pagenumber=1
    It takes a while but this disscussion gets on AI and it gets pretty heated at the end.

And no matter what they tell you, Art Institute credits are not transferable. That is reason enough not to go there.
    You are better off going to a state school or going to a community college and transfering to an art school. That is what I'm doing now because my AI "degree" doesn't mean much.

I'm sure their are others on this board that can share experiences with AI.

What do you plan on studying?

I hope this is some help to you.

David

Thanks
    this is a big help to me, thank you. i plan on studying game art & design at AI.

could you go into more detail on how the Art Institute failed you? they tell me that they have internship & job placement oppertunities. how did that work out for you?

Thanks
    thank you david. I have been on the fence for a long time. (too long unfortunatley...if i want to go to a normal school now there's a good chance it's too late for this semester) I posted on both sites and read almost everything on both of them too.

Thanks
    Here are some ways I felt cheated by AI.

1. Credits not transfering
    2. Many teachers didn't have the "real world experience" they claimed.
    3. Teachers didn't teach. I recieved 1 leacture my entire time there, no joke.
    4. They didn't teach me what I needed to know to be a good designer. All they ever talked about was Quark, Photoshop & Illustrator. That is not design. That software will be obsolete in 3 years.
    5. The school was not involved in the local design community
    at all.
    6. The school nor the teachers had any contacts to help you get a job.
    7. The facualty was far too easy on the students, they never pushed you to do great work.
    8. 11 weeks per class is not enough time to learn.
    9. The administration just doesn't care about the students. They tried to hold our graduating class show in the basement. It took a student to make phone calls to book a better place.
    10. We never had any guest speakers or outside designers come to review our portfolios.

Those are just a few of the reasons I feel cheated. My opinion is not rare either, go to the school and talk to some students during their break.

David

Thanks
    I dont think that arguement proves true for the Los Angeles branch. I was a bit skeptical after hearing the rumors, but my professors have done pretty well in teaching me. I'm in the Animation program have learned a myriad of things. They have also made it mandatory for the professors at our to school to maintain an industry-related job and show us examples of their professional work.

Just to give you a few examples of my professors:

Mike Rogers - Currently with Clasky-Csupo, worked on Duckman and many other T.V. shows.

Rafael Cruz - Worked 4 years on King of the Hill doing layout. Also worked on Mission Hill.

Norland Tellez - BG layour and Design for Iron Giant.

Briar Lee Mitchell - Numerous matte paintings, worked on Pinky and the Brain, currently working on effects for the tv show CSI [crime scene investigators].

And list goes on. I've also had my share of bad teachers, but I believe all schools have theirs. The main reason I think the LA AI is a bit better is the fact that it's in the heart of the industry, right in Santa Monica. Hell, we're right next door to ActiVision. Anyway, I've read some bad reports on the AI schools, but none have been from Los Angeles, and I'm fairly content with my school thusfar. [From what I hear from my professors, AICALA is the Art Institute's flagship school]. I do later plan on attending Cal Arts to get my degree in Experimental Animation afterwards.
    All-in-all, I don't believe people should be making assumptions of schools that they've never attended. It's like me saying that Art Center or Otis is a stupid school because of few of their graduates were unhappy about their education.

Thanks
    Originally posted by David
    Here are some ways I felt cheated by AI.

1. Credits not transfering
    2. Many teachers didn't have the "real world experience" they claimed.

- Answered above

3. Teachers didn't teach. I recieved 1 leacture my entire time there, no joke.

- about 90% of our courses require at least 1 hour of lecture per class, except for the labs.

4. They didn't teach me what I needed to know to be a good designer. All they ever talked about was Quark, Photoshop & Illustrator. That is not design. That software will be obsolete in 3 years.

- Probably due to the lack of experienced staff. I'm not even in the Design program and I've learned quite a lot about design.

5. The school was not involved in the local design community
    at all.

- Our school [AILA] participates in almost all the art events that come along. We have bulletin boards with contests, shows, galleries, etc. Just recently we had an earth day competition, the grand prize winner had his art displayed on a few public transportation buses.

6. The school nor the teachers had any contacts to help you get a job.

- Not true at all. At least, not for my school. Excluding my professors who are industry professionals who work for big name companies like Disney and Clasky-Csupo, the design professors at our school do a lot of work as well. Matte Paintings, DVD menus. And most of them have their own small design companies who actively recruit from the student population. [I was actually recruited by my physics teacher to do concept art for his production team.]

7. The facualty was far too easy on the students, they never pushed you to do great work.

- Most students hear complain that the professors are too mean. That the teachers tear the work apart. I love it when the teachers do that, because I'm not paying 65k to be humored. We don't have a problem with teachers being too easy.

8. 11 weeks per class is not enough time to learn.

- Welcome to the real world. A lot of schools, including universities are on the quarter system. You can't expect to be hand fed the education. They're supposed to give you a premise to base your knowledge on, it's up to you to learn the rest. People graduate from my school saying "I didn't learn enough 3d Studio Max", so I go, "Why not? I'm only in my 4th quarter and I know more than half of the 8th quarter students. Maybe you didn't apply yourself".

9. The administration just doesn't care about the students. They tried to hold our graduating class show in the basement. It took a student to make phone calls to book a better place.

- This may be true, but I couldn't care less about the administration either. I interact with them maybe once a month, if that. I don't expect them to care about me, they're not artists and most likely never will be.

10. We never had any guest speakers or outside designers come to review our portfolios.

- We have guest speakers come every couple months or so. The last guest speaker was one of the art directors for Medal of Honor.

Those are just a few of the reasons I feel cheated. My opinion is not rare either, go to the school and talk to some students during their break.

David
    Once again, I don't claim that AI is the greatest school, but the Los Angeles branch is nowhere near as horrible as everyone claims their branches to be.

Thanks

Exclamation

Hyphen, I never said anything about AILA. I made it clear that I went to The Art Institute of Philadelphia (AIPH) and said that I had no experience with AI San Diego (the school in the original question).

Hink asked me to list why I thought that AI failed me, so I wrote about my experiences at AIPH not AILA.

At the end of the day you are the one that has to be happy with your education. You don't have to convice us all that AILA is a good school, you're the who has to pay for it.

The fact is that AI is a for-profit corporation. Their only interest is making money. In fact you can buy stock in them.

I'm not saying that you can't be successful if you go to an AI. Everybody knows someone who graduated from an AI and now has a job where naked women bring them crisp $100 bills all day. I just think that there are much better choices you can make.

Once again, I don't claim that AI is the greatest school,
    For 65k, it should be.

Thanks
    Well, Cal Arts is 80k for the BA, and Otis is more than that. For an art school, AI is pretty cheap. And you said that "all AI schools are the same", which they aren't. That's why I'm posting.

Thanks
    I am gonna go out on a limb and say for someone who is really serious in art, you will get something out of any school... true the school you graduated from might mean something to a future employer and if that is important to you then go to a school with a good rep...

however if you are dedicated to excelling you are going to get something out of it no mater where you go. I spent 2 years at the school of the art institute of chicago which is always one of the top five and I learned more from students then I did from instructors.

I am studying privately with a local artist who is an Art Center alumni and I have learned more from him in the last year then I did at my 4 years of school. He's just a great teacher and knows what he is talking about. Which probably says something about art center. I don't know much about the AI schools other than what I have heard... and reflects pretty much what everyone says here.

So go where you are comfortable, look at student work, and make the choice from there.

Thanks
    Well, Cal Arts is 80k for the BA, and Otis is more than that. For an art school, AI is pretty cheap. And you said that "all AI schools are the same", which they aren't. That's why I'm posting.
    Hyphen, your right I should not have said all AI's are the same. I didn't mean my post to come off nasty or anything. I really believe that you are the one who has to be happy with your education.

My opinion about AI is mine and nobody should go by just one opinion. They need to ask everyone they can and come up with their own conclusion.

As far as the the price of the school, I think the cost of education is outrageous everywhere not just AI.

And for the record, I did very well at AIPH. I just feel that I did it all myself.

emesen, I totally agree with that.
    But students should remember that they are paying the school to teach them what they need to know. Dedication is super important but the school should play a big part in your development.

David

Thanks
    Hi there. I also live in San Diego and am taking classes at the Watts Atelier in Encinitas. Their website is www.wattsatelier.com

I'm having a blast and would recommend that you check them out and see what they have to offer.

Dzu

Thanks
    Yo Hink,
    There are plenty of bitter ex AI students out there. They were the ones who were not doing shit the whole time I was busting my ass. I got a bachelors in animation from Art Institute of Colorado and am very happy with my education. It got me the job I wanted. All you gotta do is work your ass off and draw everyday. If you need a professor to hold your hand every step of the way and hold a gun to your head and tell you to draw every day, don't go to an AI school. If you actually plan on working hard and putting effort into every project, then yes AI will help you get a good job. If you can't handle that, then you don't want a job in the industry anyway, cause that's exactly what you'll be expected to do when you get on the job.
    Like I said:
    There are a lot of ex AI students out there who were very lazy during the time they were at school and expected a job to be handed to them upon graduation.
    The biggest problem with AI is that they seem to have a habit of telling kids that if you go to AI you are guarenteed a job whether you work hard or not. I think those recruiter people must work on commision. But anyway, ANYONE THAT WENT TO ANY ART COLLEGE FOR FOUR YEARS AND COULDN'T GET A JOB PROBABLY DIDN'T DO SHIT WHILE THEY WERE THERE. AI is just as good as most art schools, better than a lot but still not perfect.
    What ever you do, for God's sake don't start at an AI school and not finish, because an AI degree is worth a lot more than the sum of its credits. If someone tells you that there AI credits didn't transfer, their portfolio is too weak. Any art school in the country will give you credits for the work in your portfolio that you did in classes if your work is good enough.
    Yes, all AI schools have pretty good job placement. Will some secretary knock on your door and say "here are all the jobs I found for you today sir!"...? No. You have to worrk a little harder than that. Is it true that over 75% of all AI graduates are placed in a job in their field of study within 6 months of graduation? Yes. But guess what, only about 10% of all kids who start an AI education actually graduate, most drop out because they realize they are not good enough or have to quit because of financial problems.

IF YOU'RE NOT A HARD WORKER, DON'T GO TO AN AI SCHOOL, BECAUSE YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT IN IT (just ask anyone who is unhappy with their AI degree...)

Thanks
    Will some secretary knock on your door and say "here are all the jobs I found for you today sir!"...? No.
    actually they pretty much did that for me at AIFL (Ass. GD) they hooked me up with a thick ass list of jobs every week or so untill I found a job... the job didnt work out but, they worked pretty hard to help me find a good job and 90% of the teachers I had were great, I thank you for the good words on AILA, I plan on attending their Game Art and Design program next fall and am taking some AIOnline classes starting this fall (by the way anyone have any experianced words about online classes compared to live class rooms?). thanks!

Thanks
    Cool! Yeah, the job placement is actually really good, but I was just making a statement that you have to work hard to get a job anyway and you shouldn't expect one to just land in your lap if you have been lazy. By the way, I went down to your school a while ago and talked to some people, its a nice place. My buddy owns a house down there, we thought about taking a full quarter of G.E.s at that school just for a change of scenery!

I just went to AIC's portfolio review last night and was reminded of just how awesome a lot of the students coming out of AI are. There were a lot of industry big wigs that were there recruiting. I strongly feel that, at least the AI's I have seen are a force to be reckoned with! But I keep hereing the same things about the on in Philedelphia being shitty...I don't know about that...

Thanks
    man, I started off at the Filthadelphia branch for 4 quaters in their IDT program, then switched to GD, I had a some realy good teachers and some not so good there, but I dont think that the school was that bad. It was the city, its a realy shitty place, it just seems to rub people in the wrong way, after you live there for more than a couple months you just have a realy negative outlook on everything, atleast I did. meh.

Thanks

my take on the matter - and school in general

I don't want to open wounds here and tell my sad tale, and convinve you I had it bad. I'm hoping that in this little passage I can share just enough of what I've learned about Ai schools ( I've been to four of them, and conversed with many students from many others) and school life in general.

Education Inc - the giant corporation that owns the Art institutes - but the not the art institute of chicago ( completely seperate entity). has faced and will continue to face many lawsuits for the sub standard schools it owns. It creates scam like facilities for those of you who don't know this already. It uses the "ART INSTITUTE OF" prefix to create a mental tie-in with the art institute of CHICAGO, a very repsected school. It puts everyone on a quarter system because it means more quarters per year, therefore, more classes, therefore, more money. You think it's cheaper and faster than a four year school. Sorry man, quarter system schools' credits are .66 credits in a normal, state of private school system - so multiply your price by 2 if you ever plan to transfer. So your 2 YEARS of sleepless concentrated study becomes 1 year and a summe session, IF EVERYTHING TRANSFERS I did so did three of my friends all to diferent schools - every one of more than a dozen people I've talked to.Because the school is in a quarter system many of the classes are pointless and broken up in a very retarded fashion.A quarter system means that if anything goes wrong that quarter - a bad teacher, a sick aunt, just a human bad couple of months - you fail. not take backs. you lost thousand of dollars and you can't emergencey withdraw accept the first week and only if you havent attended a class that whoole week. I've been through i know. I complained to corporate it's corporate policy.

If you are the type that needs school, or just want school, then you are basically saying you need a good are and amount of time to incubate. Stop trying to settle for anything but the best and optimale situation. People go to places like CAL arts or art instittute of Chicago because they want the reputation, they want the four years atmosphere. They know they need to grow as a person and an artist and that takes time. It's takes hard work, f-ing duh, but the school you go is like chosing a womb to be reborn in. Don't short yourself, find a place that can give you time and direction - AND GOOD PEOPLE, and diversity. a school with many diferent programs give's more veriety, and more wealth of experience, which is where we all get our real art from anyway.

Thanks
    sorry for the lack of spellcheck. I was late for a friends graduation.

Thanks
    I'm not going to write and essay about my school but, I go to the AI of Orange County. I think it's a pretty good school. Although there were some bumpy times, there are people here who will help the students out and go out on an extra limb. Sure it's a corporate school, but I think our school does a pretty decent job at addressing the students needs. Since the school is fairly new, I'm sure it's not established as AIC and places like that. I'm only 5th quarter, but I can say that the school has helped me tremendously. The person who was my addmission counselor waves to me in the halls and talks to me all the time when he has the chance to see how I'm doing. Our school has an EXCELLENT faculty! I've only encountered one problem with someone, which she was fired at the end of that quarter. Plus, I would rather pay 62K or whatever it is now, than 80K at art center or other expensive schools. I didn't go shopping around for art schools because I simply can't afford the ones in LA and AIOC is right down the street from my house. I don't care what other people think of our school, because in the end I know that I will come out as good as anyone else. Anyways, thats all I can think of for now... I'll post more later maybe.

Thanks
    I personally dont like to tell people what to do, or where to go, and especially what school to attend. Its like taking my opinion on what food tastes better at which restruant, its a matter of 'taste'. Having that said, Ai is not a bad school, nor is it a great school, its a school, just like any other private school they charge a large sum of tuition (60k) to afford the benefits students gain.

Each school shares there own problems, our school fails to recognize the importance of a 24 hour facility, but there are worse problems in other schools as well. About the credits not transferring, that is also true, and it does not depend on your portfolio quality, it is a matter of business between competitive private schools (yes, its all business, thats why its private, think of these 'schools' more as companies than learning facilities). I do not want these words to sway your opinion nor push your selection on deciding which school to attend.

In the end, I hope you'll understand the importance of deciding your future, in order to pick the right school, you must make the right decision. Because all schools are the same YET they are not the same. CalArts is focused on providing students finishing-studies on Visual and Performing arts, they relate more to cinematic and theatrical art. While Art Center of Pasadena is focused on the Concept Arts and Design media, and of course The Art Institute branch is focused on a Fundamental scale of arts, intended for students that is not yet sure of they're potential, but wishes to explore in the field of Arts and Animation.

It is this paradox that forces us to find our inner strength and weakness and decide which path to lay upon. It is your future, so make your choice wisely.

Thanks
    no matter what school you go to it's up to you to become the best you can. you can expect the school to teach you everything. it all up to how much you push yourself to learn.

I've seen people not even go to school and they are better then the best student from calARTs, art center or AI's. it all lies in your hand.

Thanks
    Diablo - Hey Ken is that you? well anyways i'd like to add my 2 cents on the AI matter. I do agree with pretty much all of which Diablo has already stated. But the truth of the matter is all schools have their strengths and weakness's..... some more apparent than others. But in the end it all comes down to the individual, and how passionate they are to achieve greatness in their craft. You cant expect to magically become a good artist just by going to a highly reputable school. It takes hard work no matter what program you enter.
    "Someone once told me you never finish a drawing, you just decide when to give up."

Thanks

Cool

sexorcitohell-

You hit the nail on the head with what you said about AI students being very lazy. I used to go to AIC as well, but transferred to ILIC because I felt that the school and instructors sucked in the animation program. Teachers like life drawing/storyboarding/2d animation instructor Flannigan don't help students, they just like to say negative things about everything. I can take criticism, but if all you hear is negativity then that's no good for anyone. A teacher shouldn't be negative to their students. And don't get me started on the department (dick)head for animation. That guy was worthless, and made me miss Frank a ton. Even though he went psycho...

Anyway, some seem to think that you get out of it what you put into it. That's very true, but to a point. There needs to be a base for you to start at, and that base should be quality teaching. If you get crappy instruction, how much will you get out of the class? For any program, you have to supplement your learning by visiting sites on the web, check out others' work to see where you need to set your bar and go beyond that.

Comments?

-Bad Mange
    If I ventured in the slipstream between the viaducts of your dreams
    Where immobile steel rims crack and the ditch in the back roads stop
    Could you find me?
    - Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks"

Thanks
    Seems kinda mixed on the topic, Im just curious if anyone knows about AI of Minnesota ?

Im sorta in a cross between that and Maryland Institute of art at the moment.

Thanks

Alternate to AI Schools..Reply

I got a MFA from AI San Francisco...It was a waste of time...
    a lot of attitude with very little content. and very exspensive..spend you money elsware..AI was in it's hay day in the 1950s..The avanguard Artist where also the instructors...well..all of them are dead..and so are the AI schools.The instructors now are former students...they didn't learn anything and they can't teach you anything but
    attitude...Go to a technical arts school where you will learn technique...in the Field that you are interested in making a living in..Illistation/anination/digital art..LA..Art Center...NY..Art Center..Look on the internet..find an Artist...Animater..what ever..look at their Bio..see where they went to school...send them an Email..pick their brain...but don't spend a dollar until you connect with one you like..

home is where the heart is. mb if i had a heart id have home....
    Thanks
    hey man, i went to AI san diego before it actually was AI, a couple years later it was bought over by AI.

i was generally skeptical about forking over a HUGE sum of money to go to school full time there so what i did was get a part time job (stock boy) then i decided to try thier night class. this was interesting because we were taught by many of the same teachers and also we interacted with the full time students after hours in the labs etc.

generally this college teaches more heavy into computer design and computer skills. if your looking for more of a traditional art learning, at the time it was not emphasized overly. thgings may have changed, not sure in that respect.

in regards to the digital illustration it was pretty damn tight, thier were full time students who were already doing freelance before they got out because they were that good and thier teachers hooked em up. the teachers had worked on some pretty good stuff and did side work besides teaching for companies like yellow pages, sdg&e, the san diego zoo etc.

about thier getting you a job. if you go full time they will try and place you in a job you want if did your work good. a few people however said they were just getting thrown in any job the school sent to them. also this was true of the night course, after i did a full semester i told them i wasnt overly interested in moving on and they basically send you job interviews to any place and you have to go to them until you get one. if you dont, then they cancel finding you a job.

the work was okay, they ran me through the basics from learning computers all the way to working in websites, photoshop, adobe premier, digital video and audio editing, 3d packages, illustrator and quark with design emphasis. some of it may be boring if your already tuned into the computer apps, but my teachers let me do several pieces of work instead of one so i was able to churn out 2 or 3 times the volume of the norm and get it graded and critiqued.

all the teachers i had were very nice and great pro's. you also get to evaluate them.

the hardware was decent to work on, nothing horribly outdated.

if i was into school and forking over that huge amount of money i may have gone full time student. they even offered me a decent scholarship but i still choked at the end tuition but going to school thier got me college credits and a solid enough start to actually get a job in the field. if you go full time there you will probably leave the school and get a good paying job right away, as i was seeing the full students there working for indy mags and getting posh jobs at local web companies etc.

on the flip side my friend went to mesa college and took there 3d art course and some sculpting on the side and i have to say with the price he paid (pretty cheap) he got some decent education. he can now sculpt decently enough so visiting friends actually think his sculptures are action figures, and he learned flash animation and 3d and has picked up a small amount of freelance work just by showing off his samples. not to mention his teacher was a cool dood who did work on those tight ass scifi commercials, and has worked for fox animation in ideas and 3d. his teacher talked to him alot, helped him with anything he needed, he got great student discounts on software, and a the end of the day he easily held a part time job and took night courses 3 times a week. you can take more if you like or even full day courses.

while i felt that AI was more completely geared for everything compter and thats what you ate breathed and slept which was fun and interesting i have to say that comparing my friends education to mine back then, he learned basically what i did and MUCH cheaper even though i took the AI night courses too. if i had to do it all over again id go local standard college all the way, night classes, get my BA, get snatched up immediately by a local company hopefully doing decent layout or design or publishing, then in a couple years advance to another job or a better position. if you have a solid resume with some experience you will waste newbies and even some college peeps with 4 years of college.

san diego is a wild bumpy job hunt, good luck in the future.
    Fen Berserke Kirta Morta

Thanks
    Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on this AI thing. I'm currently a 6th quarter Game Art major at AILA, and my opinion has changed about the school drastically since I started.

I used to hate it. The classes were mediocre and uninteresting, the instrutors seemed really strong in their fields, but the classes and assignments left MUCH to be desired. (there were definitely exceptions to this, but whatever) I also had this overwhelming feeling that they were letting in random idiots off the street that had no prior art experience. Well, it was more than a feeling, they most definitely were.

However, once 3rd-4th quarter rolled around, I started to feel a distinct change in the class structures, and the students. I was looking around my classes, and realizing that just about everybody who had started the same time as me was gone (about 75% gone). All the retards and lazy ones were dropping like flies, and what was left was a really talented group of people. The classes were also laid out much better, and I felt that the quarter system was actually causing the profs to push us harder to succeed because of the reduced class time.

I interviewed with all the schools in the area (Cal Arts, Art Center, Otis, etc.), and with the exception of Otis I got the the best vibe from AI. I got accepted to Cal Arts, but I decided I really didn't want to be a graphic artist forever, and even in the short time I spent there, I was getting REALLY fed up with their "if it ain't bizarre and over-the-top artsy, we don't like it" attitude. I guess it all just comes down to what you really want to do. Wanna design cars, toys etc? Go to Art Center, wanna be a fine artist? Cal Arts. I have to say that AI is very computer oriented, and lacks some of the fine art courses that I would be interested in (oil, acrylic painting!), but when I feel like painting, I just drive over to art center and crash a class. If you're really interested in Game Design like me, go to DigiPen, and if you're not one of the luck 100 they let in every semester, go to AI. ust my opinion

ps: I've talked to a lot of students who have transferred from other AI's, and over and over I hear about how they were either too laid back and not helpful, or just plain bad. I have friends who live in San Diego and transferred from that AI to here, and commute from San Diego each day. To me, that says alot about the LA branch. My 2cents.
    -Dra6oN

Thanks
    one more vote here for the art institute , at least the one in phoenix, i'm currently in the game art programme, one thing i did notice is that people seem to base how good a school is on how 'cool' it is or how it caters to their particular interst eg. character designing, (note i'm not pointing any fingers), but you have to remember you are in a course, you have to be open minded and well rounded, i got out of high school at 15 went to college for two years for a degree in graphic design then came here, and i notice that alot of the people here are straight from high school and are not used to the hectic schedule, they slack off, and they expect to be rewarded, they often complain and simply don't try hard enough, then have the audacity to stand up and give the school a bad name.
    i've traveled a long way to attend this school (international student) and so far i have not been dissapointed, maybe the phoenix branch has had the better luck with recruiting good teachers, but up to this point i have only come across probably 3 classes/teachers that i really think weren't up to par, but hey, there has to be an instance like that every once in a while right?
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thanks
    BadMange and sexorcitohell...all else here.

Ive been at AIC for 2 years now and I agree with both of youre views of AI students. I think AI gives you about 30% of what you need to know and the rest is all up to you.
    As for teachers? there needs to be a good balance of constructive criticism...dont be negative constantly and dont be a push over constantly...simple as that.
    I saw something really sad today...I walked into a flat art PORTFOLIO class and it was like a circus in there. Nothing was organized and it didnt seem like the teacher was going to each individual student to see what their progress was. He sat there and was basically letting this guy pass with shit for life drawings...making NICE comments about shitty artwork!
    I have seen very good students and very bad ones come out of that school. I think you have to be very self motivated and actually work to be GOOD at what you do wether its more 3D based or 2D based...you cant just dabble here and there or youre work will turn out lukewarm...you need a PASSION for something.
    A lot of students at that school are lazy because AIC gives you so much freedom and you can turn in a shitty project and the teacher passes you.

Thanks
    Last edited by tinyhands; December 7th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast