"the video game market is broken"

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"the video game market is broken"

I just found this article, and looking at the third point, i was wondering if the creative and artistic side of games might change to some whole new things... or just keep the usual suspects.

What do you guys think will happen ?

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13236

Last edited by Recursive_End; July 18th, 2006 at 05:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the next "big" thing in gaming is the implementing of advertising in games.
    Hersonally I think its a great idea, if large companies can advertise their products and keep the prices of games down then im happy
    This argument is old
    they said the exact same thing with the ps2 and xbox release.
    When they say unoriginal, its the genre thats drying up, sinply put were not going to see any games like psychonauts or anything involving cannibql rabbits.
    The creativity in the art is as good as ever, with the new graphics allowing for more larger levels ..
    the argument has been said many a time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see why video games should be any different from film or tv when it comes to originality. What I mean by that is, tucked into a vast sea of the same old crap you occasionally find a show that just redefines everything, or a movie that changes the way movies are made. Not -every- game can be a masterpiece... then how would you know a masterpiece when you see one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i see what you guys mean.
    I guess the gameplay will be one of the only things that'll juge games from now on since the next gen wave will bring freshness (?) in the visual experience in a large amount of games.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Who says keeping the usual suspects isn't a good thing? Eversince the greatest games have incorporated a rather simple principle, a journey and an adventure (Unreal, anyone?). Nothing more is needed to make a good game.

Neither a good TV-show. Here in europe/Germany, a whole community is waiting for the second season of LOST, simply because they took a well tried concept (planecrash on a lonely island, people panic, people try to kill each other, hey there's a monster on this island!, "give me the gun", there are other people on this island!, and so on) and the only thing they did is weave a little portion of freshness into the show. In this case, it's probably the way of telling the story, asking many questions but giving no answers, and a very long timeline. THIS SHOW IS MY COCAINE (at least since I know all episodes of CSI LV!).

Designwise, we have seen thousands of giant wyrms, zombies, beautiful clothing on even more beautiful ladies, spacecrafts and so on. What should keep a development team from using the taste that has been an assurance of success for years. People who try to do it the innovative way (like Peter Molyneux, cough) make games nobody can control (or likes to control).

Otherwise, look at Spore? Some new cocaine for my hungry brain!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think companies are still experimenting with games. So sticking with proven concepts is the only way to go until they know just how everything works and can make something that is just completely on another level. Not something "new" like Spore (which i believe could be a great game), but something that makes my grandpa believe in the medium.
    I think Nintendo is on a good way with their Brain Age, Puppy Simulator kind of games. Just something that allows my mom to pick up a controller. Until then videogames still have that novelty feeling, like early hollywood movies.
    Just my stupid thoughts though, don't read too much into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my god no. Product Placement is a BAD idea... Sometimes it's too obvious and is downright insulting. (oh gawd it's so tempting to name names...) I hate being force fed crap like Nivea for Men and shits... And it will NEVER keep the price of the game down. Just give more profits to the investors !

This article is so dumbed down with sensationalism it may be a good read for people outside the industry with a moderate interest for games but that's it.

What has been TOTALLY forgotten is the current demographics of the market and how the statistics are completely skewed. The fact that more games are sold now is due to the fact that all those 8 bit generation kids now have the CAPITAL to buy more than one game every 6 months. They buy more than one console. And the market is following their taste, not creating a new pool of customers. There's only one major company thinking about that right now and it's Nintendo. That's long term thinking compared to profit sharks from the default business model in the game industry. Make no mistake, there was/is a HUGE amount of money to be made in the gaming industry, and that's what fueled the current(old) gen wind... Oops I'm babling!

In the same vein, check this article :
    http://www.twitchguru.com/2005/09/02...ier/index.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I remember playing Jetmotto on PSOne way back in the day, and I saw a bigol, Mt.Dew logo on the back of my dude. I thought, "heah, cool!" But it really should have been more of a warning sign as things to come. No question games and movies are becoming increasingly similar, and the production costs of games are reaching insane amounts and blah blah blah. But the market will only sustain itself as long as people are willing to pay for the games. People still play games for the gameplay (for the most part) and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I guess the real loss here is with the fun quirky games they aren't being made because EA wants to update its Madden Roster. I think the 10 game franchise is more of a issue then advertising will be. But who knows.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.