Sketchbook: My sketches and digital experiments - Page 18
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: My sketches and digital experiments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah you are quite right about that, (about people not really posting in others SBs unless u post in theirs) and thanx for all the crit. im currently quite busy atm so i dont have time for classes, but i've had a few at school quite a few acctually, didn't really enjoy it though, found it not so very helpfull (not very educated teachers), one needs to practice practice and practice.

Thanx for pointing out that i can push forward one certain piece of art, will take a look at it tomorrow and see what i can do!

U draw quite nice yourself! and i really admire your shadings! awsome really! U've got a few proportions slightly off in some pieces, but nothing seriuos. great job!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Old stuff - cleaning up thread!

Last edited by Niva.; July 12th, 2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Old stuff - cleaning up thread!
    Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on the last post, the figure is much better in terms of muscle definition and form. However, I'm sure I mentioned it before, the head and face needs more attention as there are proportion issues especially in the 3/4 views. I'm sure there are a lot that wonders why I do so much portrait type sketches and studies, one of the main reasons is that if the head and face does not look good or right it will make the rest of the drawing or painting look bad regardless of how good the rest of it is. Whereas, if the head and face looks good, it will make a mediocre piece look better.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey N1va, how's it going? The last time I was in your sb, I remember you barely had a few pages, now its exploded! That's the way to go, crank 'em out like a mad dude while having fun and learning at the same time. You have improved tons, and there are pieces here that are really cool, like the big guy holding the sword. Wicked. As a crit, I would say (and I should be the last person to be saying this -- yes we have a history don't we ), to watch the anatomy in some instances. Only because your approach seems to be gearing more towards a painterly style. With line art it is easy to get away with this, but not so much with solid, painterly rendering. Right now I've been re-reading Andrew Loomis' figure drawing manual. Great dude, awesome teacher, now if only his quasi-students were up to par (read: me).

You mentioned about researching about ChoW, you should just go ahead and jump in! It will be a fun ride, I promise.

Take care!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johann de Venecia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, you're both right. Unfortunately I simply need more practice or dedicate more time to each piece and with the projects I have going on that's not happening. This last one I actually really struggled with the face and I knew I didn't get it right but posted anyways because whole image still looked cool hehe.

Thanks to both of you for visiting and the crits.

Here is something goofy for tonight, someone started a challenge jar in the cgtalk general discussion and one of the challenges was to go to your fridge and paint faces on all your eggs which sounded so absurd to me I had to do it lol.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see all these photo studies- but where are the life studies!!!!!!? They are imperative! Even just drawing your hand in front of your face grants you immense information about forms. There are so many things to account for in life drawing, but many of them come with experience rather than through written word or explanation. Edges for example- people have always told me to work on my edges. I never quite got what it meant til I played around with brush settings- but nobody could have really explained it to me in a way I would have understood. I just learned by experience.

I want to see you do alot of hands studies, contours, tracing vein paths, using the nails to add perspective to them, I want to see mad foreshortening and skin wrinkling, I want to see the extremist, most absolutely painful poses you can put your hand in; In this way, you put yourself into the drawing, and you now begin to understand how far fingers can go- so next time you draw a hand you automatically think to yourself "oh wait, that hurts if I try and do it.. gotta fix that finger". Doing facial extremes in the mirror and drawing them also really helps. You won't get the right kind of experience from a photo , there is no pain and no sense of self. It's a soulless 2d representation of light, and nothing more that you can get from it. Sometimes anatomy or proportion or motion, but when drawing the figure, you just learn so much more from life, everything from the fingernail of the pinky to the retina of the eye is better from life, whether your own or someone else's life. In fact, I challenge you to not do photo studies for 1 month. Instead, I don't care if you only draw your hands for a month- but draw from life for a month. Draw the most boring things you can. Make sure they are in perspective. You can render them out or you can not, it's up to you. Do boring stuff; soda cans, cups, your monitor, shoes(shoes are really good, they are tough), plates- every single thing you draw, no matter how boring, will give you information about perspective and space, and if you focus correctly, things like cast shadows and sometimes color theory or light theory. Even just looking at a piece of paper on a table can sometimes give you a wealth of knowledge.

So keep at it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still at it I see Thats good! I cracked up at the eggs! Nice work with the bodybuilder, except the face and head are too small in comparison to the rest. Very nice work with the leg muscles so far. As much as I'm a hypocrite for saying this but I agree with Justin Oaksford. You should find some time and work in a little bit of life studies. I did a bit in college art classes. It's a completely different experience than working from photos...which is what I tend to do. Either way, keep up the great work. I'll be back to check on your updates!

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

10. The Following User Says Thank You to darkchild For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I intend to go back to class as soon as I can, actually this week might be my return. My projects are keeping me extremely busy. Here is another portrait study for tonight which actually turned out fairly decent. DC's progress motivated me a little though of course this is digital. Reference was a photo I found on the internets!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had to draw a lot of snakes lately and this one wasn't planned in this drawing... actually this drawing wasn't planned at all. I've recently made a number of my own custom brushes from photos including the giant tree brush which I was testing here and for about 10 minutes this came out which I decided to work on some more and polish up with some highlights. 15 mins of work total.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    519 and 520 turned out wonderful! The portrait piece is very well done IMO. I like the hair and the face. The eyes are a tad bit large for her features but hey it's not so big that they're comical. Your digital skills are progressing nicely with each piece. I absolutely love that tree on the last post. It's very well done from just 15 minutes of work. I'm thinking if you spent more time on it, adding highlights and such, that it will bring out the life of the tree a whole lot more. Hey why don't you try pushing some more details on it? Solid work as always, keep up the great progress!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool book. I gotta learn me that greyscle stuff :-)
    Thanks for dropping in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man. Nice progress in the last posts. You should push the values a bit more, add the dark accents, eliminate some of the halftones, just to push it out of the mid-gray range and give it a bit more contrast. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Niva.; July 12th, 2008 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

you got some nice paintings in your sketchbook, so keep drawing .
    For the painting with the sorceress, I thinks you should put some more contrast in the foreground and background (where the grass meets the sky). Your grass also looks a litttle bit flat, or is it just me =) ?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Niva.; July 12th, 2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Old stuff - cleaning up thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Sorry for the lack of visits. I was just browsing through you latest posts.... #524 is a cool concept but it's a bit too 2D-ish not enough depth. Maybe a redo in a more grand 3D scale? Maybe have the character on top of a cliff overlooking the cityscape below with a great view of the river and mountain side? Great work with the anatomy study You've brought out some great detail with the muscle on her back. The skin tone is very sharp and vibrant. I love it! Keep up the great work!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DC you're right about the scene, it's an old sketch and I was going more for a 2Dish look. I was somewhat inspired by old final fantasy art when I made the original sketch. Anyways, it will be a while before I get to that one, it's on my mom's computer so maybe over xmas I make more updates to it. It is not really a finished piece at all, just a WIP.

Here is an update to the Jamie Easton study, I painted the hands w/o references so I'm not sure if the scale/look is right at all. Looked at my hand but I'm not sure how well it helped as it wasn't lit the same way.

Also here is another unreferenced piece of one of my own characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another one of my own characters, quick sketch. No reference was used for the character though I had a motivator for this one. A scene set up with similar lighting and pose from another artist.

Thanks for all the comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, that "figure study" is pretty nice, but I think her hands are a little unformed and stubby. For 15 minutes that one with the worm and tree is really nice, as well.

Keep it up!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Beonarri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Beo, thanks a lot for visiting, I agree about the hands, as I said I patched them on. They were not part of the original photo or objective as I worked on the piece. It was a study but it became something more.

Anyways, I might go back and work more on the hands later. At this stage I am ok with them I think.

Here is another quick speedie for tonight. Was mildly inspired by another artist's work though looks nothing like what gave me the idea.

The Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alicia Keys Study - from the cover of "As I Am" Album

Portrait Study of Alicia Keys from her album cover. Almost full size image, lately I'm finding myself going down in res and doing quite fine with it. If anything I like it better and the computer loves it much much more.

Last edited by Niva.; December 13th, 2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Updated image after some crits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey n1va, pretty nice stuff
    some of the paintings are really nice
    i really like that figure study, good to see you are doing them
    i think it would be great if you could somehow apply those studies to your non refed work
    btw that painting with the guy and fairy turned out nice, great sense of space
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jennifer Lopez Study

Wish I had more time to post here, these days I'm just too busy and even when I draw I can't post it here

Anyways, here's another study, from a J.Lo album cover this time. I wasn't quite done with it so I might have another update though it's getting close.

Last edited by Niva.; December 14th, 2007 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Updated image after critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice work on the celebrities!.
    they look realistic to a certain extent.
    however, with them, i think uve missed certain features in which wat makes JLo, look like JLo. looks closely to see wat they r is my opinion. other than that they look hot! ... uve done the eyes top notch
    keep posting that stuff

Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to gkrit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gkrit you're very much correct, actually a friend pointed me to a fact I need to simply resize the Alicia Keys portrait - reduce the width of the image, this will help big time, when I started I was not trying to make her look exactly like the portrait but it came out close. As it came out close I started wondering exactly why it didn't quite look like her and apparently it is the width of the canvas.

With JLo I really struggled, I did try to make her look like herself but couldn't quite do it. I think it was something with the mouth, I'm going to work on it some more and maybe she is more recognizable. Either way these definitely help me with speed and drawing better w/o refs so Imma keep doing them for a bit when I can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I worked a bit on both images and updated the above posts. Special thanks to ser Robert Frost for giving me some helpful critique. Comments are always welcome of course!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it just me or did your portraits just go up like 10 notches!! Lovely work on your last two digital portraits. Very nice work JLo's skin looks very smooth and convincing. This is what I hope to ultimately achieve. My PS skills are limited to cars at the moment. Keep on coming!!!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks DC, I'm not sure what you mean about PS, what you do seems much harder to me

Well here is an update to the earlier portrait of Liz Gorman. Actually doing these studies has helped out a bunch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last few days have been hectic because I had to build a computer together and wrap some things up before the holidays. Anyways, the system has been up and running, brand new AMD phenom 8 gigs of ram, here's a screenshot from Vista to make you all jealous looking at those pretty cores and memory graph.

Oh yeah, here's the first work from the new system too, I'm going to post a large screenshot. Speaking of which I found this incredible website which contains a lot of high res images of beautiful actresses where this ref came from, here's the link:

http://www.tccandler.com/critical_mass_topactresses.htm

Yeah, about 1 hour of work on this one, colors are a simple overlay with some more hard light on top, otherwise my painting was black and white.

Last edited by Niva.; January 26th, 2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Still trying to add the right pic...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really really good paintings, i really like how you made the back of that girl, it has much "impact", one little crit though, if you want likeness you have to draw in black and white first until its perfect, deleting the necesary parts and redrawing until you achieve the linkeness you are looking for, after that you paint on top, but not before. Proportions of the overall face seem good, but on the particular "pieces" of the face, as eyes, mouth, nose, you are missing characteristics, details of the form, angles of the countours and shape of the lines, try focusing on particular features and analize them in detail, for example in the last one, analize the mouth, copy the angles and the proportions of each detail of the mouth, if keep checking with the reference if you got it right, i made a little animation to make it clear, you just have to pay more attention to the angles of your lines and proportions, i hope it helps!

Last edited by Christian223; December 23rd, 2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: anim

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Christian223 For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5