CtrlClick Webcomic!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CtrlClick Webcomic!

CtrlClick Webcomic!

Since the start of summer I have been working on my latest project, CtrlClick web comic. It’s a comic about four college gamers who room together but each has their favorite system. Every now and then I toss in a comic that doesn’t have to do with the story line but does have to do with current events, movie, TV, or of course gamming news.

The site address is: www.ctrlclick-online.com

This is my latest comic (as of time of post. Newer comics are below) that is in honor of the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie:

CtrlClick Webcomic!

Again the site address is: www.ctrlclick-online.com

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SwimmingArtist09; September 3rd, 2006 at 04:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't click your link, but I must say, and I'm sorry, but that wasn't funny at ALL to me. I didn't even smile.

Maybe get a writer?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the comics are kind of confusing, not funny and the wordart onomatopeia are tacky looking. Also the concept isn't very original..there's a hundred other comics that have a similar premise that are done better than this. What sets yours apart? Not having the best art is forgivable in a webcomic, the first penny arcade strips were quite rudimentry art wise, but they survived because they have a writer with a good sense of comic timing and humor. This, I'm afraid, has neither. I agree with Frank Wade, you really need to hook up with a writer if this thing is going to go anywhere.

Also, you flogged most of your FAQ page straight off Ctrl-Alt-Del... it even says "This is the official Ctrl+Alt+Del FAQ "

http://www.ctrlclick-online.com/faq.php

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/index.php/faq

Coincidence?

Last edited by waronmars; July 11th, 2006 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Profoundly unfunny.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WARONMARS POSTED:

http://www.ctrlclick-online.com/faq.php

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/index.php/faq

Coincidence?
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

No it is not a coincidence. The questions that i used were just standard question that most people ask. I just wanted to credit him so that i was not copywriting anything. So again IT is not a "COINCIDENCE". Also if you read further it says email a question if you have one. Well the site just launched so i was filling out a leget FAQ until people actually ask questions.

Thank You.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think that he is refering the the questions being copied so much as the fact that your FAQ (as well as ctrl+alt+delete's) both say "This is the official Ctrl+Alt+Delete FAQ"

All you have done here is proven that you know how to use the ctrl+c shortcut. [:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you mean, but webcomic faqs are so similar between comics that you really could have just put a few general questions in without having to take them directly from another site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have can turn this into something funny with a writer for sure. It's just not there yet - but I can add two cents for the visual part of this.

Ok, I see so many web comic authors resist actually drawing their characters by copying & pasting them into every frame, changing an arm or a hand, maybe an eyebrow. Sometimes this works if the comic is supposed to look cheap, or if it's for a comedic effect. This isn't working here.

The eyepatch dude in your 1st, 2nd and 3rd panels is obviously copied since we see the same expression and posture with.. a moved arm or a shifted pupil. The same expression just doesn't work in every frame - even eliminating his drooped eyelid would have shown more surprise in his face.

Start drawing. Lots. No more cntrl+alt+shortcuts for you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry Waronmars I now see what you are talking about and i have to say i had know idea that my webdesigner completly copy and pasted it into my FAQ. I will have to tell him to change it. again i am sincerly sorry.

Also

Thank you steph leberis for pointing out that problem I didnt even know that i was doing that. This all a learning process for me. So thank you very much.

expect muchos better comics for now on.

thank you.

keep the critics comming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here the four latest comics(other than the pirate one) The first three have already been on the archives of the website but the fourth is the newest one that I worked on yesterday. So please tell me what you all think.

Thanks,

1. Propaganda!!

CtrlClick Webcomic!

2. Help!?!?!

CtrlClick Webcomic!

3. Its the end of the world!?!?

CtrlClick Webcomic!

4. Stale chips = Bad dream...

CtrlClick Webcomic!

www.ctrlclick-online.com

Thank you.

All critics welcomed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...umm...i dont know...umm...mmm... I will post one of my comics that I did in a comic contest thing for another site... all i did was the text... The art was given to use... Im going to post it in my thread if you like my text maybe I can be a writer and help you out... we shal see... umm for now I dont know what tips i can give sry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kudos for doing it, but these seem really disjointed to me. I also have to agree with waronmars about the wordart, it really detracts from the comic and it's mad cheesy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THE CUT'N'PASTE! IT BURNS!!!! Here's a challenge actually do each frame from scratch. Emotion is suppose to be acted, not spellllllltttttt!!!! out.

Why the heck do people add "online" to their site names? This is the internet, of course it's online, stop insulting our intelligence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How much planning goes into your comics?

Do you script it first?

I'd do lots and lots of planning when setting up these comics. Especially when it seems your trying to get a laugh out of the audience.

Do some trial runs with your drawings and text... if you don't get it... or it doesn't read well.. it's more then likely your audience wont get it either.

I'd check out some other comics as referrence.. like.. oh Calvin and Hobbes. Dialogue is well timed and the drawings add to the humor.

Keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and also...

Since this is an art forum.. try checking into some forums geared towards humor writting.. or writting comp. in general. See where their advise might lead you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good effort man, keep at it. With a little compositional work, and the removal of that ugly word art, the jokes would be pretty good. Right now though, they don't really fit in with the art.

Watch where you put your characters' thumbs. Seeing a guy with two left thumbs really distracts from the comedy.

Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my latest comic. Thanks for all the advice so far I took into consideration the humor factor for this latest comic. Its simple but “funny” (I hope)…

Well here it is…Keep the critiques coming, I really appreciate it.

- E3 Withdraws:

CtrlClick Webcomic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admire you for keeping at this, for sure. I'm still an advocate of "stop the cutting and pasting" though. A lot of your poses, though cartoony, are stiff and awkward. Your expression vocabularly is also way limited, I don't see your characters emoting at all.

I back Blahism in that you need more planning and forethought with these comics and practice drawing. Cutting and pasting isn't a good way to get better at drawing Google up some photo ref for better poses, maybe start out by posting some model and pose sheets of yoru characters in the sketches section. Get the pencil moving, and also practice your hands.

A quick aside for webcomics, it's quality over quantity; some of my friends worry about losing their readers if they don't have a comic up EVERY week, so they bang out un-funny or rushed work... then they lose readers because their comics are un-funny and sloppy. If you put out a good enough product, people don't mind the wait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unoriginality

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the thing is.. collage guys playing video games is the oldest webcomic in the book
    i can list dozens
    so drop that.. lose the cut and paste and generate more of a plot
    If you need some hilarity in webcomics, www.penny-arcade.com is by far the best...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newest comic!

tell me what yall think!

CtrlClick Webcomic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone,

Here is a new addition to my comic.
    This is a starter to a three or four part comic plot.
    I hope you all will enjoy it.

-News Flash: When Gamers Go Crazy

CtrlClick Webcomic!

All critiques welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously man... none of these are funny. You need a writer, and you need to get your own style. I look at all these and they look like the first scribblings of the author of CtrlAltDel.

My sketchbook Critical Feedback = Luv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoah.. where to begin... okay.. i'll skip the writing part- that one has been mentioned too often...

as it was mentioned before, your characters look very stiff (i wont go into the cut n paste thing). you need to exaggerate things more. watch some roadrunner cartoons for instance.. the faces wile e. coyote pulls are priceless.

experiment with the eyebrows, the shape of the eyes, the mouth, even with the shape of the head. so far your charaters look almost stoic when they are supposed to look looney.

same goes for the anatomy/the poses. one thing both animation and cartoon strips incorporate alot is a technique called "bend and stretch". basically its over-exaggerating the body language of someone... a good refence on body language would be movies with buster keaton or jackie chan.

study how they act in certain situations (sadness, shock, fear, joy etc) and try to put those poses on paper with simple lines (stick figures). then overdo the whole thing by bending and stretching the lines. base your figures on that.

i've made a fast sketch in artrage to show you what I mean:

CtrlClick Webcomic!

its not the best (used the opportunity to test that program), but I think it gets the message across.

another thing... i think you should clean up your lines.. try to vary the lineweight a bit for a smoother look. i'd also recommend not to use coulours until you have solved all the problems bugging your linework.

i think it would benefit the look of your cartoon if you'd keep it black and white using only a few lines to hint a background or using no background at all, basically because your panels look a bit overloaded due to rather bad choices in colour and shape. your strips should have their focus on the characters rather than the enviroment.

alot of comic strips use that method (calvin and hobbes, dilbert, haegar etc).

okay.. thats all for me.. don't be discouraged though... you just need some more training and a good feel for your characters - in a few months (or weeks even- depending on how hard you train) this could become something funny.

my 2 cents..

Cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the awesome critique VirusArtist. I sketched some sketches of one of the characters using the advice you gave for expressions.

Here it is.
    Tell me what you all think.

CtrlClick Webcomic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So they are guys that are an artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color? Or guys that attend an institution of higher learning that grants the bachelor's degree in liberal arts or science or both?

Only kidding, it is college not collage.

I kind of enjoyed the one with the flight pills, but as said before perhaps "four collage gamers who room together but each has their favorite system" is not the most original idea. You seem to be driven, and for that I have faith in you. I can see good things in your future as a web comic artist. Good luck.

Last edited by Ertai; August 11th, 2006 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone,

This is the newest addition to the comic,
    and this is also part 2 to the last comic I posted.

I also did some work to the characters look, and there expressions.

So here it is and I hope you all will enjoy it.

All critiques welcome!

-News Flash: When Gamers Go Crazy Part 2

CtrlClick Webcomic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good move into the right direction swimmingartist.

those varying expressions work a whole lot better now. still, you need to train those more. work on your style until you have become more comfortable with it and then go a little further... its a step by step thing.

the more training you put into poses and facial expressions, the bolder you can get. your sketches look promising.

as for the body language: it still looks a bit stiff. again I would recommend, that you focus alot more on sketching those poses first, rather than finishing them.. you canc reate alot of energy that way.

a simple training for that would be to set yourself the goal of filling 2 sheets of paper with poses only (6 poses a sheet minimum). sketch your heart out on a daily basis. you'll see the improvements from sheet to sheet. same goes for facial expressions. in the end you'll have a small library of poses and faces you can put into your webcomic.

also keep in mind that in every form of art that involves characters, anatomy is a vital part. you can't bend the rules until you know them. this mainly goes for proportions in your case. there are good tutorials for that on this site.

no matter how cartoony your characters get, they still are supposed to have a spine, joints etc (unless you are drawing a slug ). focus some training on those problems before you go into exaggerations...

thats all for me now... keep it up!

Cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone

Ok. Here is the third part of the latest Comics Story Line.
    I have worked a lot more on the characters with this one and tried to make them look less stiff.

So here it is, hope you enjoy it.
    As always, Please critique me, and feel free to speak your mind about the comic.

-News Flash: When Gamers Go Crazy Part 3:
    CtrlClick Webcomic!

Last edited by SwimmingArtist09; September 3rd, 2006 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You Decide What Happens! (comic 15)

Ok everyone.
    We at Ctrl Click would like to extend an opportunity for you to shape the latest comic’s story line, therefore we are allowing you to participate in a week’s worth of voting, from which the winning option will becoming the next stage in the story line.

CtrlClick Webcomic!

Thanks for your time.
    Feel free to drop in an talk after voting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.