Gnomon 3d - anyone attending/teaching? I'm considering..

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Phait Guest

Red face Gnomon 3d - anyone attending/teaching? I'm considering..

I'm considering attending Gnomon for 4 or 5 analog classes. I'd like to know from anyone going or teaching there what can be done about living out there? I'm from Wisconsin and I know Hollywood is not a cheap place.. I've considered staying in a motel/hotel for the duration of my time there, but I'm just not sure.

I'm basically looking for any information on what I can do as far as finding a place to live for a couple to 4 months - and anything else I should know about attending there? Thanks.:chug:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best way to find a place to live is sign up with a web service like

roommates.com or something similar, and then look through them everyday and send emails out... it costs you like 15 bucks for like 60 days... Honestly its worth the investment..

I really dont know anything about Gnomon, other than there brochures and website.. and that Feng Zhu teaches there sometimes... anyhow.. good luck..

peace

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would honestly suggest gnomon. I went through the certificate program. I actually just finished about two months ago. I've had two job offers since than. One in game and the other in film. I took the games. I was actually only looking for about 3 days. That's not to say it happens to everybody but I have notice that the people that work their ass of are all working already except for one out of the group. And he hasn't send his reel out. Its allot of work. But well worth it. I know its super expensive now. So that plays a big factor. Just something that I thouhgt I mention. I've ran into people at gnomon that have tried some of the schools mentioned above at the end they just end up at gnomon. Good luck if you have the money try taking the intro class with a teacher name Marcel.

Phait Guest
    Thanks for replying.

3D interests me but I think I'll fool around with it when I get a decent PC because for one, I cannot afford the cert. program.

The things I'll be going for at Gnomon will be figure drawing, entertainment design 1 & 2 (i think thats what those classes are titled) and I believe that's it.

Long as I can find a place to live out there, I'll be reaaaaaaally anxious to be taught by Feng - he's the reason I'm drawing again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that's great. I was fortunate enough to have taken feng's class when he first got there. So we learn a ton of really cool stuff. I already came to gnomon with some traditional background so he just added to my belt. But he's only teaching every other week now. And he's only teaching porduction design 1. Every other week is being taught be Hong li I think that's how you spell it. He's more of a character guy. He's great. So you kinda get a really good deal. Production design 2 is being taught by Mark something I'm not sure what he's last name is. I'm not sure how he's class is. AS far as the figure drawing its taught by Kevin Chen. He's a super nice guy probably the nices teacher I had there and he's really good. I learn so much from him and I'm fortunate enough to still be able to speak to him. You'll get allot out he's class if you ever get the chance. But I would have to be honest Gnomon is a 3D school. There 3D is amazing but if you're really really serious about learning I would really consider Kevin's class over Feng. If you already have extensive traditional background you'll benefit from feng. I just remember people being a bit frustrated with his class some of the stuff was a bit advance.

Phait Guest
    It's reeeaaaaaaally good hearing from somebody that went there I appreciate the insight. I'm wondering, where did you stay at? Just find an apt to rent or hotel(s)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I live in L.A about 15 minutes from school. I've known a few guys that have stayed in hotels around the area. I think what they work out is renting the room for a few months. I think Gnomon has some sort of deal worked out with some of the local hotels. But don't take my word for it. Contact Gnomon about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took two production design classes there, at the time both taught by Feng Zhu. Learned a lot, and he's a great inspiration of course. Most of the teachers in the "analog" classes are good from what I've seen. Definitely make sure you take Feng's class and if you're going to take any figure drawing classes, Kevin Chen. Don't know about any others specifically.

Don't have much advice about housing though. I commuted from Long Beach at the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to find a relatively inexpensive place to live [in comparison to hollywood] look more to the area of Culver City or areas in the San Fernando Valley. Hollywood is only about 15-20 mins from the Valley [a little more with dense traffic] and is significantly cheaper. I'm renting out a 1 bedroom for 735 a month.

Phait Guest
    Hmm.. I don't have a car (or license) yet.. if I did I might actually live in the car.

I'll have to find out if it'll be cheaper to live in an apt for 2 months, or hotel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Phait
    I am going to take those same classes myself I start June 30th. I will start with the Visual communication 1 first, and that only because Feng's class I believe that it got full the first day of registration. The second class will be Feng's Production Design 1 (I figured that the Vis Comm. would set me up for his class.
    Then I will take Production design 2
    And finally I will take Kevin's drawing class.

I will also be taking life drawing classes in El Camino College
    With a very good instructor that also teaches at Otis College, her name is Bledsoe. I will take her at least twice followed by more life drawing classes all while attending Gnomon. I will only take one class a term at Gnomon. I too am attending Gomon to take Feng’s and Kevin’s class. The work they have posted here is killer, same goes for their web site.

Stonepilot/Ron
    How much do you think you need to know to fit into Feng’s class?
    I have some art skills just not production design. The only exposure I may have will be with the Vis. Comm. 1 class that I am going to take at Gnomon.

And do you have something you guys can post to see what you got out of Gnomon? This would be greatly appreciated

A

Last edited by AmadorL; June 17th, 2003 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With feng's class the more you the better of you'll be. If you have a solid understanding of perspective, proportions all of the foundations. You'll get allot out of the class beacuse than you'll be able to ask the right questions and most importantly what he's talking about will make sense.
    I don't have anything on the web. I just baught a domain name so I'll have some crap up soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well good looking out Stone I will be on the look out for your work .

Amador

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amador

If you know how to draw, that's the main thing for Feng's class. The thing that I learned most was how "Production Art" is different from say "Fine Art". speed seems to be one of the main things you need, along with good draftsmanship, both of which come with drawing and drawing and drawing (no real tricks)

The following link from my webpage is most of the stuff I did from the production design classes I took there (at the time both were taught by Feng).
    http://www.ronvance.com/html/journal02.htm

There was definitely some better artists than me, but I learned a lot and it was an eye-opening experience. Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ron
    Thanks for your reply I checked out your web page and I have to say I am digging your work, but like your intro says it is not where you want to be. I am interseted to see some of your new work. well like I said I will be taking Vis Com 1 first then pro des. 1 and 2. Do you remember if Feng recomended any books to you guys?

Keep up the good work and dont forget to post some of your new work.

How much more would you say you are paying for classes at the Art Center per class?

Amador

Last edited by AmadorL; June 19th, 2003 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey amador

if you go to the normal link for my website, it starts with newer stuff.
    http://www.ronvance.com
    improving some, but still got a ways to go!

as far as Gnomon cost compared to Art Center cost, it's about $10,000 per semester (you read that right!) but night classes are $650-1000. so it's definitely cheaper to go to Gnomon. I think you'll like Gnomon, and it's a good "test" to see if you want to pursue going to school for concept art full time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ron I dig you work I am realy digging the Factory sketches.
    Hey Ron can you recomend and books to prepare me for fengs class. Anything will help.

And would you say you pick up most of your skills at Gnomon or just some?

A

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey amador

Well I guess this has turned into a post from you more than Phait

Anyway, as far as books, hmmmm. Unfortunately, there's not any real good "how-to" books for concept art in particular. There's a pretty good one called Rapid Viz which teaches you "tricks" on how to draw fast, which is one thing that's emphasized a lot in concept art. The faster you are (along with drawing well), the more sought after you are when you're in the biz. Also, you should practice drawing in perspective (go to this link http://www.drawthrough.com/tutorials/index.html for a great tutorial on it). You may want to practice life drawing too (I'm taking Marshall Vandruff's class right now, check out his website for some tutorials/books you can buy http://www.marshallart.com/). Just for inspiration, all the Art of Star Wars books are great, as well as any of Syd Mead's books.

As far as the skills question, I've been drawing all my life. But I would say I learned a lot about the more professional look of concept art recently, starting with Feng's class. The thing that was really an "aha" moment was the fact that although you have to draw fast, the designs shouldn't look like they were drawn fast. that skill just comes with time. I learned a lot of marker and design tricks in Feng's class. It seems like the designs definitely improved from the beginning of the class, I used to just add detail randomly and the designs were a mess. I don't even post those on my website! It's better to have a simple design to start with, then add details. But the details should be from stuff you know about, not just random junk thrown on. That's the part that gets much better with time too. Not much you can do to hurry it. Look at lots of pictures of similar stuff (cars, trucks, architecture) in real life, then pull out the elements that make sense for the design.

You'll learn alot more of this stuff in Feng's class.

Just get into sketching daily. That's the best thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ron yeah I kind of took over the post. Sorry Phait
    But you know what I had a similar post that no one replied. Anyways thanks for the recommendations I already order Sentury and I am going to get Rapid Viz pretty soon. I start Vis Comm 1 at Gnomon this Monday June 30th so I am kind of excited and can't wait. I also got some info that might come in handy from a post in the tutorial section that goes as follows:

Q Visualization?
    I'm hoping someone might have advice on improving ones
    Visualization skills. In specific, mentally overlaying
    pre-conceived mental images over the drawing space so
    That one may "trace" over the overlaid picture (and preferably
    Not lose sight of the mental overlay until the drawing is complete).

I have a little success with this method, occasionally,
    But I can't seem to get the mental image to stay with me.
    It just kind of fades. I used to have a much better grasp of it
    When I was a child, but I didn't have as much appreciation for
    The ability at the time.

Any suggestions?

A. *Dude.. I had/have the same problem.. One thing I found out
    That helps is.. Draw thumbnails, and draw them quick b4 the
    Image in our head starts fading. After a while ull b able to hold
    On to the image in your head longer and longer.

As an exercise your can: look at an object, figure, environment,
    Or anything.. For like half a min ( as your looking pretend that
    You’re drawing what ever u see ) after the half a min.. Draw what
    Ever u saw from memory.. This exercise helps a number of drawings
    Issues

A. *Practice drawing things in real life without looking at your paper,
    The result will be very abstract, but it strengthens the link
    Between brain and hand. When I did this exercise in college I
    Thought the art teacher was some crack-brained tree hugging
    hippie lady. But it's one of the most valuable lessons I've had. I feel that I have picked up alot from this forum and will continue to for time to come.

Anyways good looking out Ron and Stonepilot and I can’t forget Phait for starting the tread

Amador

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coool info in this thread. i'm actually sending in my portfolio and application within the next week to gnomon. i really want to get into the certificate program. i'm really stressing about my portfolio. i'm not sure its good enough. basically, it's either gnomon or full sail down in florida and i really really wanna go to gnomon. i'm on the east coast so i'm gonna have to move out to LA and find a place to live.

Stonepilot: how long were you in the certificate program?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took both Production Design Classes with Feng twice last year (back when he was teaching both.) For $450 ea. its the best class in town for my money.
    He has a very clear way of approaching the funamantals of drawing and design as applied to Industrial Design (that Art of Star Wars-style) He covers the basics (perspective, pen and ink line drawing, markers, value, idea creation, environments, vehicles, digital painting toward the end of semester) And he does demos in every class. Watching him work up a finished environ. or vehicle from scratch every class is the best inspiration. Its rare to find a teacher who inspires you with contemporary work AND can clearly communicate the fundamentals of drawing AND design (Two subjects he discusses seperately)AND be so easily accessable.
    As was mentioned, he is alternating weeks with Hong Ly ( who does characters...he's another great artist....his site: www.characterdesigns.com
    As for the class being full...people do drop out (believe it or not!), so I'd go to the first class and try to get permission from the instructors ...thats how I got into my first Feng class.

Phait- I can't give any advice for living, I commuted from Santa Barbara, Ca...but people do sublet apartments for the summer, that may solve your living situation for the duration of the classes... Good Luck!

CSanchez

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sanchez I would have wanted to take Feng's class ASAP but the waiting list was up to 12 people when I tried to sign up.. I will be taking the Vis Comm class which was I showed up to today and was disappointed to hear that it was postponed till next week. I think it will set me up for Feng’s class, so it is OK cuz I will be taking it next semester. I wish I could of got in when he was teaching the full class and or the two Prod. Design classes. Another class I can't wait to take is Kevin Chan's life drawing class, I think he kicks azz.

Hey can you give me any advise on what to study or practice on for the Vis Comm class with Mark Hanna or Feng's class?
    Oh yeah I went looking for other post of your and couldn't find any, it seems that this is the only post you have replied to. I am interested in seeing some of your work.

Thanks
    Amador

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Amador...That was my first post (long time reader, 1st time poster)...I'm getting a website up this week (hopefully) I'll let you know when its up (...I still have alot to improve on!)
    As for what to work on...it all dependes on what you want to do...from your posts it sounds like drawing is you main desire(as apposed to 3D or animation) Since school just started I'd suggest concentrating on the HW from your classes (and realing nailing them) Gnomon is a 3D school so the students skills in ea of your classes will vary (some can draw better than others...but most are there for the 3D courses) But if your there for 2D, your going to have to hold yourself to a higher standard if you want to progress in that environment. Most students have other courses in 3D that take up there time, so, for instance in Feng's class, he would suggest what to work on and then leave it up to you...ie he won't sit on you like its Art Center...So its up to you to put in extra work (if your only taking one class spend 4-5 hours a day on the assignments.)
    As for Feng's class I'd check out his tutorials on his website (the quick sketch one is nice to start with as a template on the whole design process....)
    Also check out www.drawingthrough.com ....Feng's teachers from Art Center..two nice guys (I was fortunate enough to take Scott's private class earlier this year.) Scott has a few tutorials online that are great (solid basics)

CSanchez

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah do let me know when you once you have your work online.
    I started off wanted to get into 3d animation took a couple of classes, but I wanted to create my own monster and what not from drawing to 3d models and I came across not being able to draw good. So now my mission is to take as many life drawing classes as I can and a few production design and visual communication classes and see what I come up with. I won’t be taking Feng's class this term; I am starting Vis Comm this following Monday with Mark Hanna I believe is his name followed by Feng's class.

He you know what? I tried to go to that link you provided and I couldn't. Something was wrong with the link.

Thanks again
    Amador

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry! The link is www.drawthrough.com ...

Good Luck with your classess!

CSanchez

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It maybe a bit late to. I think someone ask how long I was in the gnomon certificat program. I went though the whole thing. Which at that time was cheaper and shorter 18 months. Now its about 2 years and it will cost you close to 40 Gs. That's a whole lot of cash. But for me personally I have allot more doors and options open for me that I don't think would be available if I hadn't spend the money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to hear stonepilot....i just sent my application and portfolio in, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping i get in!!!

were you originally from that area, or did you move to hollywood? i'm from Connecticut, so I'm going to have to live out there and was wondering what its like, rent costs etc.....any tips or things you know about the area i'd love to hear.

also, where are you working now and what was the education like? i imagine its probably awesome and am really hoping i'm accepted!!! any other thoughts you'd like to share i'd love to hear! thanks

Members who have read this thread: 1