Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gnomon 3d - anyone attending/teaching? I'm considering..

Phait Guest

Red face Gnomon 3d - anyone attending/teaching? I'm considering..

I'm considering attending Gnomon for 4 or 5 analog classes. I'd like to know from anyone going or teaching there what can be done about living out there? I'm from Wisconsin and I know Hollywood is not a cheap place.. I've considered staying in a motel/hotel for the duration of my time there, but I'm just not sure.

I'm basically looking for any information on what I can do as far as finding a place to live for a couple to 4 months - and anything else I should know about attending there? Thanks.:chug:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The best way to find a place to live is sign up with a web service like

roommates.com or something similar, and then look through them everyday and send emails out... it costs you like 15 bucks for like 60 days... Honestly its worth the investment..

I really dont know anything about Gnomon, other than there brochures and website.. and that Feng Zhu teaches there sometimes... anyhow.. good luck..

peace
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    I would honestly suggest gnomon. I went through the certificate program. I actually just finished about two months ago. I've had two job offers since than. One in game and the other in film. I took the games. I was actually only looking for about 3 days. That's not to say it happens to everybody but I have notice that the people that work their ass of are all working already except for one out of the group. And he hasn't send his reel out. Its allot of work. But well worth it. I know its super expensive now. So that plays a big factor. Just something that I thouhgt I mention. I've ran into people at gnomon that have tried some of the schools mentioned above at the end they just end up at gnomon. Good luck if you have the money try taking the intro class with a teacher name Marcel.

Phait Guest
    Thanks for replying.

3D interests me but I think I'll fool around with it when I get a decent PC because for one, I cannot afford the cert. program.

The things I'll be going for at Gnomon will be figure drawing, entertainment design 1 & 2 (i think thats what those classes are titled) and I believe that's it.

Long as I can find a place to live out there, I'll be reaaaaaaally anxious to be taught by Feng - he's the reason I'm drawing again.

Thanks
    I think that's great. I was fortunate enough to have taken feng's class when he first got there. So we learn a ton of really cool stuff. I already came to gnomon with some traditional background so he just added to my belt. But he's only teaching every other week now. And he's only teaching porduction design 1. Every other week is being taught be Hong li I think that's how you spell it. He's more of a character guy. He's great. So you kinda get a really good deal. Production design 2 is being taught by Mark something I'm not sure what he's last name is. I'm not sure how he's class is. AS far as the figure drawing its taught by Kevin Chen. He's a super nice guy probably the nices teacher I had there and he's really good. I learn so much from him and I'm fortunate enough to still be able to speak to him. You'll get allot out he's class if you ever get the chance. But I would have to be honest Gnomon is a 3D school. There 3D is amazing but if you're really really serious about learning I would really consider Kevin's class over Feng. If you already have extensive traditional background you'll benefit from feng. I just remember people being a bit frustrated with his class some of the stuff was a bit advance.

Phait Guest
    It's reeeaaaaaaally good hearing from somebody that went there I appreciate the insight. I'm wondering, where did you stay at? Just find an apt to rent or hotel(s)?

Thanks
    Actually I live in L.A about 15 minutes from school. I've known a few guys that have stayed in hotels around the area. I think what they work out is renting the room for a few months. I think Gnomon has some sort of deal worked out with some of the local hotels. But don't take my word for it. Contact Gnomon about that.

Thanks
    I took two production design classes there, at the time both taught by Feng Zhu. Learned a lot, and he's a great inspiration of course. Most of the teachers in the "analog" classes are good from what I've seen. Definitely make sure you take Feng's class and if you're going to take any figure drawing classes, Kevin Chen. Don't know about any others specifically.

Don't have much advice about housing though. I commuted from Long Beach at the time.

Thanks
    If you want to find a relatively inexpensive place to live [in comparison to hollywood] look more to the area of Culver City or areas in the San Fernando Valley. Hollywood is only about 15-20 mins from the Valley [a little more with dense traffic] and is significantly cheaper. I'm renting out a 1 bedroom for 735 a month.

Phait Guest
    Hmm.. I don't have a car (or license) yet.. if I did I might actually live in the car.

I'll have to find out if it'll be cheaper to live in an apt for 2 months, or hotel.

Thanks
    Hey Phait
    I am going to take those same classes myself I start June 30th. I will start with the Visual communication 1 first, and that only because Feng's class I believe that it got full the first day of registration. The second class will be Feng's Production Design 1 (I figured that the Vis Comm. would set me up for his class.
    Then I will take Production design 2
    And finally I will take Kevin's drawing class.

I will also be taking life drawing classes in El Camino College
    With a very good instructor that also teaches at Otis College, her name is Bledsoe. I will take her at least twice followed by more life drawing classes all while attending Gnomon. I will only take one class a term at Gnomon. I too am attending Gomon to take Feng’s and Kevin’s class. The work they have posted here is killer, same goes for their web site.

Stonepilot/Ron
    How much do you think you need to know to fit into Feng’s class?
    I have some art skills just not production design. The only exposure I may have will be with the Vis. Comm. 1 class that I am going to take at Gnomon.

And do you have something you guys can post to see what you got out of Gnomon? This would be greatly appreciated

A
    Last edited by AmadorL; June 17th, 2003 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks
    With feng's class the more you the better of you'll be. If you have a solid understanding of perspective, proportions all of the foundations. You'll get allot out of the class beacuse than you'll be able to ask the right questions and most importantly what he's talking about will make sense.
    I don't have anything on the web. I just baught a domain name so I'll have some crap up soon.

Thanks
    well good looking out Stone I will be on the look out for your work .

Amador

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast