Art: DEATHKEEPER - Magic: The Gathering *NEW*

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

DEATHKEEPER - Magic: The Gathering *NEW*

Hello all,

I haven't had a lot to post lately because I have a bunch of art that is waiting to be published before it can be shown. But Wizards of the Coast has published their latest set called "Coldsnap" and I have a few pieces in there. This one is called Sek-kuar Deathkeeper. Even though the cards are horizontal, I felt like doing a vertical painting. Only the orc shaman appears on the printed card. Even so, I wish I would have had another week or so to make this painting a little better. I plan to make a few changes when I get it back.

Anyways, hope you dig it. Original painting is oil paint on masonite. I also included the sketch.

Jeff

Monstrosity - A Book of Drawings
    Now Available here

Website
    YouTube Channel
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Loooove the sketch, Jeff. The painting stiffened up a little too much for my taste.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Looks great Miracola, but I have to agree with Elwell about it stiffening up a bit. He lost the "wild eyed" look he had going in the sketch.

Thanks
    Yup, excellent as always, and yup, the sketch is much more powerfull than the final...I think is just because of the eyes

Thanks
    Yep, that is one of the things I am going to change when I get the painting back. Those eyes and his face in general. It didn't hold the energy of the sketch like I had hoped.

- Jeff

Now Available here

Website
    YouTube Channel
    Twitter
    Facebook

Thanks
    Yeah, a little stiff for my liking, but the sketch does indeed rock, I also prefer the facial features on your sketch.

Thanks
    i wouldnt say its that far off in the painting, but its all about the face in the sketch.. beautifully executed it...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    too bad those little guys won't be on the card art, they really make the piece.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Nice.

The creatures at the bottom remind me of a Darkness comic when the darklings are towering Batman.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    too bad those little guys won't be on the card art, they really make the piece.
    Yeah, I knew those guys wouldn't show up on the card, but after doing so many horizontal paintings, I occasionally have to make things exciting for myself and go vertical!

Jeff

Now Available here

Website
    YouTube Channel
    Twitter
    Facebook

Thanks
    Nice work Jeff, looking forward to possibly seeing the revision! Long time player of Magic and longtime fan of your cards.

I'm sure there are quite a few pieces from Magic artists that would be interesting to see in their entirety. Would be nice to see a traveling show of original works from Wizards.

What size/format does Wizards usually have you working in? In talking with Foster he conveyed that he usually works at a 3 to 2.4 ratio (3000x2400), 400 dpi. How does that compare/translate for you?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    wow how VERY oldschool MTG!!!

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol71
    Nice work Jeff, looking forward to possibly seeing the revision! Long time player of Magic and longtime fan of your cards.

I'm sure there are quite a few pieces from Magic artists that would be interesting to see in their entirety. Would be nice to see a traveling show of original works from Wizards.

What size/format does Wizards usually have you working in? In talking with Foster he conveyed that he usually works at a 3 to 2.4 ratio (3000x2400), 400 dpi. How does that compare/translate for you?
    Well, I don't do any of my Magic art digitally. I usually do oil paintings for all that. And I change the size depending on the piece. But the average is around 9 inches tall by 12 inches wide. This piece is larger at about 15"x25".

The other piece I did for Coldsnap was small and horizontal. It was just a simple landscape piece and not worth showing. Plus I did one painting that was exclusive to the MTG online game only and not printed.

Jeff

Now Available here

Website
    YouTube Channel
    Twitter
    Facebook

Thanks
    I love the old school feel but I just wish the light was more powerful, it just seems a little flat. The main chracter is emerging from a pool of lava / fire and yet you can hardly see the effect on him or anyone around him or the environment, save for a rim light.

I think it would be a far more dramatic piece if you used the underlighting from the lava to emphasize the power / magic of the emerging figure. The lava / fire itself seems dull.

Other than that I think it's a strong piece... nice work.

Wacomitis - fear of an empty bank account.

PORTFOLIO

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.