Are there any Art supply stores/companies better than dickblick?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Are there any Art supply stores/companies better than dickblick?

I was hoping so. because i wanted top knotch quality paints ( like liquitex ) and top knotch quality brushes, brush cleaners, and whatnot. what are some good companies/corp that create art supplies. [ that are better than dickblick or is dickblick the best? ]

Ashley.

[ edit ] sorry if i dont replie for 3 or 4 days. im going to be gone. so PM me on the topic or just post
    thanks!

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't worry so much about top notch. Stick with something in the middle ground to upper student-grade for now, like Utrecht's brand of paints and synthetic brushes.

I think it's more important to paint and practice and screw up as much as possible as an art student than it is to worry about messing up because your paints were too expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would rather have between good to top knotch quality though ( for brushes i already have liquitex which is whoooo expensive! ). do you know any good synthetic brushes [ brand ]. all i know is dynasty. which i love because theyre fun to work with/paint.

[ note ] i had just gotten back from lake shasta from a week and now im going to be gone again till TUESDAY - i just got that information of how long i was going to be gone with my family. so 3 days and 2 nights. *leaves NOW* bye!

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing that popped into my mind was that you should look for some horsehair brushes.

But that's just me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But however will you buy your horse when you're buying top notch art supplies!?!? What a predicament!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think its only in New England but Ocean State Job Lot has the cheapest art supplies I've ever seen. I've bought huge canvases for five dollars and whole oil and acrylic paint sets for five dollars. Granted, its so cheap because it's not high quality, but its great for me because I can't paint very well and need to practice without fear of destroying expensive supplies.

I don't know anything about high quality stores though

FASTIDIOUS SKETCHFIENDS of the FANTASTIC FOURTEENTH ESCHELON
    staylor| inkfish | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer | bRØk3n_sPiRiT | Max1975 | ZebzFree

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.fineartstore.com -- It's a small art store based in Rochester, NY. They'll ship products anywhere by Fed Ex or UPS. They have the best selection of products I've ever seen outside of New York.

The New York Central Art Supply is the only store that I've seen that beats Rochester Art Supply's selection. But you have to go there in person. Its address is 62 3rd ave and 11th street in Manhattan.

Chances are, you're not going to find a large chain of art stores like Dick Blick or Pearl that will have the same selection of goods like smaller one location shops. These shops can get away with selling higher quality goods because they only have to order them for one location, where know their market much better and will know that they will sell.

And finally, let me just echo what everyone else has already said. Only buy expensive materials if you know you're ready for them. Also, only experienced artists will be able to tell the difference between low and high quality. If you're struggling with art, the expensive stuff will only burn a hole in your pocket.

FAST.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trekell apparantly sell very good brushes that don't cost much http://www.trekell.com/. I've never tried them, but both Elwell and William Whitaker recommends them so I trust it's good. Don't know about where to get cheap paint tho. They sell W&N oils and Liquitex acrylics at Trekell too, but it seems to be the same prices you'll find anywhere else.

EDIT: Just saw that Trekell only ships to the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada. I don't know where you live, but for me it seems I can just forget about it...

Last edited by Boogieman; July 9th, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
    -hal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I myself like Windsor Newton paints. Brushes, whatever's good quality and on sale. Princeton brushes are often the case, and those black ones at Utrect with the red stripe

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't do as much painting anymore, but I was under the impression that liquitex was student grade, not "top notch."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright im finally back. man it was cold where i was. anyways. i will be taking all of these "companies" or Art supply producers into consideration. oh and FYI horses are NOT expensive as everyone thinks they are. its a stereotype that everyones developed "theyre expensive" no theyre not. okay and i change the topic. *goes and paints*

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.