:: 3 sexy chiks (tutorial, step by step colouring/lighting )

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 944 Posts

Icon :: 3 sexy chiks (tutorial, step by step colouring/lighting )

This is the ref i used so faar, as i will need other ref i will post it here as well.

Here is the the final sketch/linework.(i did clean it a bit) I did many version till i was halfway happy, so this is it for now. There is no need for clean linework because you will not see any in the final Image.

I want the final Image look more classic, so i will try to make soft lighting (sunlight + fire or candle light) Backround will be the brightest part, i will paint it later. The BG light will cast a bright light on the characters, i will do it in the last step. For now i will make only the ambient light, i will make it very basic with not many reflections or any refractions or transfluency effects. Not all Object will affect eachother by casting a shadow, this i will later.

First i cover the linework with a dark green layer, i paint from dark to bright and want some green tone in the shadows. i also make roung outlines with a more darker green tone, this will help me to separate the objects easier. I make the linework transparent so i don't forget to paint the dark spaces. As i will work out the details i will delete the line work more and more.

I Start with the girl in the middle as i like her ass, so bear with it. I choose a dark brown tone and add more brighter colour step by step. The importance is to pick different colour values to make the skil look more natural. (this you don't see here very well as i am still on the dark regions.

After i got bored with her ass i moved on to her face. I do not paint all body parts at the same time, that is not good but i get bored otherwise. you should try to avoid it, try to paint all connected bodyparts with the colour you are using before moving on to a brigher value, bacause you may end up with many different values and that will look like the parts don't fit together.

Using the colourpicker i do the colourin job on the face now, as you see i moved on much farther with the face instead of using the skin tones on the rest of her body or on the hands. That is because i plan to use her face as colourreference for the rest of the body, this way i may save lot's of work in a bad case. Bad case would be if i would dislike one of the colous and would have to change it everywhere.

As you can see i used different tones in the brighter values, this makes the skin look more natural.
    !!! However this is NOT the final colouring for the face, this is just the ambient light. As soon as i finish the ambient light on all obejcts i will tone them down again, make them darker, then add other lightsources and work out details.
    Also note that i do never use black for colouring, later when i will darken the ambien light the image will have black values in the darkest regions.

(the bright highlight on her nose and eyes is not part of the ambient light, but i couln not resist... I will remove it later again)

This is how i ot so faar, more updates will come!

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    This somehow reminds me of Austin Powers .
    Fuuk Meh and Fuuk Yuh

10d6 lightningbolt, NO saveing throw!

Thanks
    Damn that 3e ref is to sexy man!

Great job on the face!
    Cant wait untill i see it finished.

cheeeeeeers R3M

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Thanks
    Wow this is awesome, I cant wait to see the finnish, keep posting your progress I like to see how it comes together, Id like to learn to paint stuff like this. Are you using photoshop? custom brushes or just the default hard edge brush?
    Nice work so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    "After i got bored with her ass i moved on to her face."

Usually tends to be the other way around, don't it?

Great thread, another bookmarked.

Thanks
    ^^;; scratches her head.. i dont see how you used any references :3
    where is it :3
    but the picture is looking lovely though

Thanks
    thanks very much
    it's always a pleasure to see your work and a wip is great

can you give us a pic of your colour palet (if you use one)?

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    this is fantastic work. please keep posting your progress, great explanations as well. - JAG

Thanks
    great line work... absolutely amazing detail on the face. it's going together very nicely

Members who have read this thread: 1